How does one know...

canelacanela Registered Users Posts: 218
If your hair is protein sensitive or craving protein?
Hair type: mix of everything but bushy
"Do not brush curly hair, it makes it look like bad scribbles"
my 5 year old curly haired girl, now a teen

Comments

• Corrina777Corrina777 Registered Users Posts: 3,204 Curl Connoisseur
    As frustrating as it can sound, the only way to know is through trial and error.
    [SIGPIC][/SIGPIC]
    3a/f/iii
    Modified CG since 11/5/11
    CLEANSE: CJ Daily Fix, DevaCare No-Poo, CHS Treatment Shampoo
    RO: SS Caitlin's Conditioner, CJ Beauticurls Strengthening
    LI: SS Repairing Protein Treatment, CHS Silk Leave-In
    STYLE: Re:Coil, Curl Keeper, Deva Ultra Defining Gel, Curls Rock Amplifier,Sweet Curls Elixirs Okra Gel and Hard Hold Gel, SS Curl Enhancing Jelly and Firm Hold Gel
  • kathymackkathymack Registered Users Posts: 9,999 Curl Neophyte
    While trial and error is the only way to find out, knowing your hair properties helps. Here's a link to help you with yours Curly Hair Basics | Live Curly Live Free It helps you understand properties and what ingredients they may like.

Fine hair usually loves protein, coarse hair does not. Most hair needs more protein in the summer (even coarse haired, protein hating hair can tolerate certain proteins in the high heat/high dewpoints.)
    3a (Corkicelli), highlighted, fine, low porosity
    SE PA

HGs: Anything Sevi; Curly Kinks Satin Roots, Curlycue ReNew and Coil Jam; homemade FSG and okra gel; soap bars; UFD Curly Magic; Botanical Spirits Jellies, CJ Repair Me, Aloe Fix
    [SIGPIC][/SIGPIC]
  • Morgan_AdcockMorgan_Adcock Registered Users Posts: 2,573 Curl Neophyte
    Healthy coarse hair generally doesn't need protein, but does need oil. Medium hair can use some of both.

Fine hair, and hair which has been damaged mechanically, or with heat or chemicals may need a protein boost. In my experience, when my hair needs protein, it's limp and overly soft. On the extremely rare occasion that I gave it a protein overload, it's stiff.
    Peace,
    Morgan

Baby Fine 3B, low porosity, normal density and elasticity
    CGing since July 2008
  • Cassie1978Cassie1978 Registered Users Posts: 9
    I found out I was protein sensitive by using protein leave in conditioners my hair became dry brittle and break off like crazy. Once I deep conditioned with a moisturizer my hair was back normal. I keep my distance from them as much as possible.
    I'm a natural hair product junkie!LOL. I love trying new products.
    3c, 4a hair type
    Low porosity hair
    Subscribe to me on youtube @ CassieAfricanQueen

www.youtube.com/CassieAfricanQueen
  • EilonwyEilonwy Registered Users Posts: 12,391 Curl Connoisseur
    Hair that truly craves protein feels softer and smoother after protein treatments, and brittle and dry without them. Since the reverse happens to protein-sensitive hair, it's hard to "diagnose" your hair's needs without trying some products.
  • Morgan_AdcockMorgan_Adcock Registered Users Posts: 2,573 Curl Neophyte
    Hair that truly craves protein feels softer and smoother after protein treatments, and brittle and dry without them.... the reverse happens to protein-sensitive hair

I'm sorry, but I do not believe this to be true for fine hair which needs protein, or coarse hair which does not; although the former might be true for hair which needs protein due to mechanical/chemical/heat damage; and the latter might be true for medium hair without damage..
    Peace,
    Morgan

Baby Fine 3B, low porosity, normal density and elasticity
    CGing since July 2008
  • BluebloodBlueblood Registered Users Posts: 1,748 Curl Neophyte
    Eilonwy wrote: »
    Hair that truly craves protein feels softer and smoother after protein treatments, and brittle and dry without them. Since the reverse happens to protein-sensitive hair, it's hard to "diagnose" your hair's needs without trying some products.
    Not having sufficient moisture can lead to dry brittle hair so it's not a hard and fast rule.
  • CGSince2002CGSince2002 Banned Users Posts: 1,073
    I want to point out that not all proteins in hair products act the same, they are targeted for different purposes, so it's very possible for one person to react badly to one type but benefit from another.

And just because at one point a person had "protein overload" it doesn't mean it's to be banned forever, hair needs change constantly, even if we don't do anything different there's the changes of season, for example. But most women love to experiment by changing their routine, using hair color or straightening occasionally, and that could lead to needing a little protein. The key is to balance both PTs and moisturizing "only" COs (because most commercial PTs DO contain moisturizers). I always keep ROs and DTs that have no protein even though my hair loves protein, because as the Bible says "there's a time for everything".

Also, most types of protein help the hair to retain moisture, particularly soy and wheat, so using moisturizers only when there might be a need for protein is going to leave some people with a never-ending dryness problem.

Leave a Comment

BoldItalicStrikethroughOrdered listUnordered list
Emoji
Align leftAlign centerAlign rightToggle HTML viewToggle full pageToggle lights
Drop image/file