Big Chop, Straight Ends?

dlola13dlola13 Posts: 3Registered Users
Hi guys!

My name is Lola and I'm 19.

I'm new to naturallycurly.com and i'm excited to learn from such a knowledgeable community.

I did the "big chop" in the summer of 2012, so I'm about 2 years natural now. For the most part, I usually have my hair in single braids or similar styles. It wasn't until a couple of months ago that my friends helped me to take out the braids that we all noticed the straight ends. They argued that I didn't cut my hair all the way, but I assured them that I did (even shorter than the first few pictures I attached here). I did admit that a some months back, I went to the salon to wash my hair, at which the stylist just went ahead and flat-ironed it. My friends then concluded that the straight ends are probably due to hair heat damage. I haven't permed my hair after the "big chop", I've only straigntened it that one time and I'm 100% Nigerian. I thought my hair type was 4c, but I'm starting to re-think that. The hair is thick at the roots, but straight and fine at the ends.

If you may, from the pictures, please tell me what you think. Does the texture and/or ends seem like they are due to heat damage or is it that my hair type is probably more of a 4a/4b type.

As I prepare to wear my hair out, I'd really like to know what my hair type is and how to approach it and take care of it.

I appreciate your assessment! Thank you so much for your inputs!

p.s. (about the pictures)

1) The first two is the length of the hair a few months after the "big chop"
2) The third is the hair after a bantu knot-out (I used a few products including castor oil)
3) The fourth is the hair with virtually no products. (I washed it the day before and just finger-combed through the hair to do bantu knot-outs. I only used olive oil to redo a few of them)
4) The last picture is the hair(unwashed)after I took it out of single braids a few days ago

Comments

• SereneCurlsSereneCurls Posts: 1,145Registered Users Curl Neophyte
    I don't have any experience with your particular question, but I wanted to welcome you anyway. :) I'm sure someone else who has dealt with something similar will come along soon.
    3a, dense, fairly coarse, normal porosity and elasticity, just below shoulder
    Low poo: Giovanni 50 50
    Co-wash: aia, suave coconut, salon care
    R O: Tresume Naturals, gvpcb
    L I: KCKT, gvpcb
    Stylers: cjpp, re : coil, kccc, brhg
    Oils: coconut, argan
    Experimenting with: curls rock amplifier, pantene mousse
  • ReservechicReservechic Posts: 798Registered Users
    dlola13 wrote: »
    Hi guys!

I'm new to naturallycurly.com and i'm excited to learn from such a knowledgeable community.

I did the "big chop" in the summer of 2012, so I'm about 2 years natural now. For the most part, I usually have my hair in single braids or similar styles. It wasn't until a couple of months ago that my friends helped me to take out the braids that we all noticed the straight ends. They argued that I didn't cut my hair all the way, but I assured them that I did (even shorter than the first few pictures I attached here). I did admit that a some months back, I went to the salon to wash my hair, at which the stylist just went ahead and flat-ironed it. My friends then concluded that the straight ends are probably due to hair heat damage. I haven't permed my hair after the "big chop", I've only straigntened it that one time and I'm 100% Nigerian. I thought my hair type was 4c, but I'm starting to re-think that. The hair is thick at the roots, but straight and fine at the ends.

If you may, from the pictures, please tell me what you think. Does the texture and/or ends seem like they are due to heat damage or is it that my hair type is probably more of a 4a/4b type.

As I prepare to wear my hair out, I'd really like to know what my hair type is and how to approach it and take care of it.

2) The third is the hair after a bantu knot-out (I used a few products including castor oil)
    3) The fourth is the hair with virtually no products. (I washed it the day before and just finger-combed through the hair to do bantu knot-outs. I only used olive oil to redo a few of them)
    4) The last picture is the hair(unwashed)after I took it out of single braids a few days ago

Welcome! I am glad you decided to join us.:icon_smile:

Your hair in all of the pictures you provided has texture to it. There are no areas of hair, including your ends that are 100% straight. You have natural type 4b hair, from the pictures provided after you had done your big chop. Since getting the BC done, your has grown out a lot. The issue with your hair is that you have made wearing extension braids your main go to style. This can cause a lot of wear and tear on your hair. It also has caused individuals to start to experience thinning around their hairline and edges as well, by having it be continuously done to their hair. And, when having braid extensions put in, it should always be professionally done, as well as having them be professionally removed as well. I know that people will do this at home, but it actually should be removed by a professional stylist.

In the last picture that you showed, it definitely shows that your hair needs a trim, maybe even a possible haircut. That is the first step you need to make on your hair's road to recovery.As, you don't have a defined shape to your hair at all at this time. And, in the last picture you showed, after having braids removed, your hair is looking frizzy, undefined, and most of all very dry.

The next step is working on your hair regimen. This definitely means giving your hair a much needed break from wearing braid extensions. There are lines on the ground that you can use towArds wearing your hair down and getting a nicely defined look to your curls with, whether, you choose to do a wash and go, twist out, braid out, etc.

Shea Moisture, Edens Body Works, and As I Am are all three very popular lines that offer products I feel that you should definitely check out, if you haven't.
    Diagnosed with Scalp Eczema 6/2015
    (Don't hair type/loose curl pattern/fine texture/low density/high porosity

Current Regimen (Ayurvedic Based):
    Cleansers- Bobeam Shampoo Bars
    Stylers-Rotate between Camille Rose Naturals Almond Jai Twisting Butter and Camille Rose Naturals Aloe Whipped Butter Gel

I only wear my hair in wash n gos or buns. Also,
    I do not use conditioner on my hair on a weekly basis. And, my hair is A ok with that!
  • dlola13dlola13 Posts: 3Registered Users
    I don't have any experience with your particular question, but I wanted to welcome you anyway. :) I'm sure someone else who has dealt with something similar will come along soon.
    awww, you're so sweet! Thank you for the welcome!
  • dlola13dlola13 Posts: 3Registered Users
    dlola13 wrote: »
    Hi guys!

Welcome! I am glad you decided to join us.:icon_smile:

Your hair in all of the pictures you provided has texture to it. There are no areas of hair, including your ends that are 100% straight. You have natural type 4b hair, from the pictures provided after you had done your big chop. Since getting the BC done, your has grown out a lot. The issue with your hair is that you have made wearing extension braids your main go to style. This can cause a lot of wear and tear on your hair. It also has caused individuals to start to experience thinning around their hairline and edges as well, by having it be continuously done to their hair. And, when having braid extensions put in, it should always be professionally done, as well as having them be professionally removed as well. I know that people will do this at home, but it actually should be removed by a professional stylist.

In the last picture that you showed, it definitely shows that your hair needs a trim, maybe even a possible haircut. That is the first step you need to make on your hair's road to recovery.As, you don't have a defined shape to your hair at all at this time. And, in the last picture you showed, after having braids removed, your hair is looking frizzy, undefined, and most of all very dry.

The next step is working on your hair regimen. This definitely means giving your hair a much needed break from wearing braid extensions. There are lines on the ground that you can use towArds wearing your hair down and getting a nicely defined look to your curls with, whether, you choose to do a wash and go, twist out, braid out, etc.

Shea Moisture, Edens Body Works, and As I Am are all three very popular lines that offer products I feel that you should definitely check out, if you haven't.
    Hi Reservechic! I am so thankful for you! Thank you for taking the time to lay everything out as you did..it definitely provided a lot of clarity. It's actually a relief to learn that the end are not due to heat damage, which would be a whole different story, and also determining my hair type as 4b is a huge relief, because I've been assuming that my hair should be a 4c.

You hit every analysis on the head..the extensions and sew-ins have definitely stressed my hair and doing it right after the other, as I initially preferred, did not give me the time to properly care for my own hair.

I plan to implement your suggestions, and I'm really excited to wear it out.
    Once it's out of the current style, I plan to trim it, incorporate a protein treatment/product to strengthen and thicken it a bit, and lots of moisture. I'll also start looking into the products you mentioned.

Thank you so much for taking the time to say everything you've said here and helping me to understand my hair! It's so appreciated!
  • curlicious13curlicious13 Posts: 1,632Registered Users Curl Neophyte
    I use the as I am line and it's claim that it will promote hair growth is TRUE. It's great for type 4 hair. For Bantu knot styling I used organic root stimulator twist and lock gel. But that is a style that I have not mastered. I'm the wash and go queen and I use la looks wet look gel.

Leave a Comment

BoldItalicStrikethroughOrdered listUnordered list
Emoji
Align leftAlign centerAlign rightToggle HTML viewToggle full pageToggle lights
Drop image/file