what if products aren't working for you?

WaavyMadnesssWaavyMadnesss Posts: 17Registered Users
Hey wavies! So i feel like I'm getting pretty close to figuring out what works for my hair, its just styling is a little frustrating. I have a pretty nice wave most of the time until i put product in it... it doesn't really seem to like mousse, gel or curl cream, but I would like something to give it just a little hold and some definition on those days its just not cooperating. Any suggestions? I was thinking of maybe using a pomade.

Comments

• SereneCurlsSereneCurls Posts: 1,145Registered Users Curl Neophyte
    Hmmm. Have you tried just leaving in a bit of your conditioner?
    3a, dense, fairly coarse, normal porosity and elasticity, just below shoulder
    Low poo: Giovanni 50 50
    Co-wash: aia, suave coconut, salon care
    R O: Tresume Naturals, gvpcb
    L I: KCKT, gvpcb
    Stylers: cjpp, re : coil, kccc, brhg
    Oils: coconut, argan
    Experimenting with: curls rock amplifier, pantene mousse
  • sixelamysixelamy Posts: 4,157Registered Users Curl Novice
    What products are/have you been using?
    2c-3a - med-coarse - normal-high porosity - high density
    :bunny:
    NP/LP: CJ Daily Fix, KMF Whenever / Giovanni TTTT
    RO/LI: Aussie Moist, CJ Argan & Olive Oil, Hask Keratin Protein
    DC/PROTEIN: KC Stellar Strands / CNPF
    STYLER: CJ Curl Queen
    COLOR: henna, amla & indigo
    :thumbdown:: glycerin in high/low dews, polyquat-10 & 11, parabens
  • CGSince2002CGSince2002 Posts: 1,073Banned Users
    What do you mean when you say your hair doesn't like mousse, gel or curl cream? Could it be some particular brands or is it the application that ruins your waves?

When I began CG I didn't like gels so I only used a LI, the one I chose worked wonderfully for me, it was really a RO made with 98% organic ingredients. Another I had great results with was a knock-off of Paul Mitchell's "The Conditioner. These days the one that I'm having great results with is a surprisingly cheap one: VO5 KLS, sometimes I add a few drops of VCO to it.

If it's the application that takes away your waves, there are ways around that. I usually have to comb my product through, which leaves my hair practically straight but then I do either of these: 1) flip my head down and back up and the waves and curls "magically" reappear. 2) I lean/bend to the side with the hair hanging and place my palm under the ends and just push it up with a fast accordion motion.

I normally cannot scrunch gel or anything in my hair because it breaks up the "clumps" (which are not big in my hair...) but I recently tried a method called "scrunch & pump" and the first time I had good results with it, not so much the 2nd... but then maybe I used something different, I rarely use the same stuff every time I wash or rinse my hair.
    Joined Curltalk 1st time in early '02 shortly after starting CG. I'm a non-practicing Cosmetologist.
    Hair: color-treated, mostly 3A.
    CO-wash: VO5 K&L
    RO: SpaHaus Salon w/OO, VO5 Shea Cashmere, W.R. Trop. Coconut, Daily Defense Moisturizing & others.
    LI: Beautiful Curls w/Shea Butter & C.O., Hollywood Beauty OO Creme, VO5 K&L, Aveda Be Curly Curl Enhancer.
    Gels: LAL Wet Look, ORS Lock & Twist.
    Oils: Jojoba, EVCO & Africa's Best Ultimate Herbal Oil

• WaavyMadnesssWaavyMadnesss Posts: 17Registered Users
    I usually just put in a bit of leave in conditioner after my shower which is usually enough because my hair can get over conditioned if I put any more than that. With the products i use my hair is well moisturized without being weighed down, I would just like a styler that would help define my curls without weighing them down when my curls arent feeling too happy, which is often lol. my profile pic is generally what my hair looks like w/ no styler on a good day.
    Products I use:
    Shampoo: Sheamoisture African Black Soap Deep Clensing Shampoo
    Conditioner: Vo5 Kiwi lime
    Leave-in: Kinky Curly Knot Today
    If it's the application that takes away your waves, there are ways around that. I usually have to comb my product through, which leaves my hair practically straight but then I do either of these: 1) flip my head down and back up and the waves and curls "magically" reappear. 2) I lean/bend to the side with the hair hanging and place my palm under the ends and just push it up with a fast accordion motion.

whenever i put a styler in my hair it tends to get stringy and weighed down and any kind of manipulation kind of make it worse. ill just have to experiment a bit more i guess thanks for your great tips! :smile:

what exactly is an RO?
  • Geek_ChicGeek_Chic Posts: 1,275Registered Users Curl Connoisseur

whenever i put a styler in my hair it tends to get stringy and weighed down and any kind of manipulation kind of make it worse. ill just have to experiment a bit more i guess thanks for your great tips! :smile:

what exactly is an RO?

RO = Rinse Out conditioner.
    CG since 11/2011
    2c /3a F /Mii, low porosity

Go To Products /Routine:
    Clarifying: Suave Essentials Strawberry
    Low Poo: Renpure Luxurious Argan Oil
    CO: Suave Essentials Strawberry, V05 Kiwi Lime
    RO /LI: Tresemme Perfectly (un)Done, Cure Care, V05 Kiwi Lime Squeeze, Suave Essentials Strawberry, Renpure Brazilian Keratin (old formula)
    Stylers: LALSG, AIF, HETT, Suave Professionals Firm Control
    PT: IAGirl's as needed

what exactly is an RO?

Even though judging by my pics anyone would say I'm not a wavy my hair does behave like it is so I totally understand what you're saying because the things about my hair that really annoys me are pretty much what you describe, but I learned to get around them. Like when the hair gets stringy after combing in the gel I usually re-wet it a little, then gather it all together at the back, almost as if I were trying to do a low ponytail (hard to explain...) to encourage the strands to "stick" together again and then do the "flip" thing. At other times, when it's r-e-a-l-l-y flat, I have to do that by sections, I squeeze the hair together in one hand and do a gentle scrunch (mentally saying "clump, darn it! lol!). And don't get me started about the hair around my face, although it's the curliest, it's SO finicky and anti-clumping that most of the time I have to do "skip curls" there, especially on 2nd day hair or more because it gets all "frizzy".

I wear a part so I have to put large metal duckbill clips to lift the hair, one goes from front to back picking up a tiny section of hair along either side of the part, and the other from back to front behind the first one and then I "clamp" it at beginning of it to secure it (and they kind of stand up on their side). Most of the time I also have to put other smaller clips along the crown and even use a few "claw" clips at the top back to avoid the dreaded flat crown. Sometimes I'm successful just using the tail of a rat-tail comb to "unstick" the hair from my scalp and give it a lift, and thank God for my diffuser, it really helps encourage more curling in my hair.

I know all this that I'm telling you may sound like a lot of manipulation and I hope it won't overwhelm you, but it's the "right" kind of manipulation for me and it's just inevitable when my hair is long (longer than in my pics now) because the weight of water and product will pull the curl down. I just wish I could make a video demonstrating all this because it's really easier than it sounds, but I have to get myself a USB cord for my camera and then learn how to really use it.

I don't see anything about your hair properties, perhaps you're still not familiar with them, but what I'm most interested in now is your texture (fine, medium, coarse) and porosity (low, normal, high) as this can also make a difference in how you react to products. My own hair is fine, normal density and color-treated so I consider its porosity to be between normal and high and thus protein-loving, and I recently noticed after giving myself the gelatin PT that my hair curled up very well that day as it dried without all the "riggamarole", for those of us with fine hair protein does encourage curling (as does Epsom Salt), but if yours is completely different than mine maybe some of my advice will not give you the same results.

Btw, you mentioned pics but I don't see any in your profile or as an avatar. I was wondering how long and thick your hair is.
    Joined Curltalk 1st time in early '02 shortly after starting CG. I'm a non-practicing Cosmetologist.
    RO: SpaHaus Salon w/OO, VO5 Shea Cashmere, W.R. Trop. Coconut, Daily Defense Moisturizing & others.
    LI: Beautiful Curls w/Shea Butter & C.O., Hollywood Beauty OO Creme, VO5 K&L, Aveda Be Curly Curl Enhancer.

Cgsince2002,
    thank you for all the great advice! I probably will try the clips idea even though I have been trying to avoid i because it seems like it takes a lot of time but i guess wavy/curly hair takes a lot of time haha :) but I suppose for special occasions it wouldn't be so bad. My hair texture is kind of coarse, medium porosity. My hair is thick and goes a little past my shoulders. Lately I have been using a home-made sea salt, which is helping with the pattern, but its still pretty flat. Again thanks for your help.
    here the pic I was talking about: again this is my hair on a REALLY good day without product, which is rare as the loch ness monster
  • chupiechupie Posts: 5,280Registered Users Curl Connoisseur
    Wow. Beautiful.
    2a medium porous, You can see my wavy tutorials here: https://www.youtube.com/playlist?list=PLy8bclCLgER5N_uVYSYZNxhBHSXAW40OQ and my wavy blog is The Wavy Nation http://wavynation.wordpress.com
    Thanks chupie :smile:
    chupie wrote: »
    Wow. Beautiful.

I totally agree!

Don't overdo the sea salt, it can dry your hair by sucking moisture out of it. Epsom salt mixed with a CO is actually safer.

Leave a Comment

BoldItalicStrikethroughOrdered listUnordered list
Emoji
Align leftAlign centerAlign rightToggle HTML viewToggle full pageToggle lights
Drop image/file