Hello I'm Lanora

LanoralovespinkLanoralovespink Posts: 13Registered Users
Goodmorning everyone,

I'm a bit late but I've been natural for about 1 year now and it's been hard just trying to find what works for me. I decided to join because I felt this would help me along my journey.

I have no clue on what hair type I have.. I assume its some 4, I'm not too sure.

My Instagram: lanoraloves
Tumblr: Pink-C0ffee [ 18+ ONLY ]
My fb: Lanora Zhane
Youtube pages: 2Curls1Journey & LanoraZhaneVideos [ i'll post videos soon..I really just need to handle things prior]

Please give me tips and send me messages..maybe we could help each other. Also I'm kind of lost on how to work with this but I'll figure it out.

Comments

• ReservechicReservechic Posts: 798Registered Users
    Goodmorning everyone,

I'm a bit late but I've been natural for about 1 year now and it's been hard just trying to find what works for me. I decided to join because I felt this would help me along my journey.

I have no clue on what hair type I have.. I assume its some 4, I'm not too sure.

My Instagram: lanoraloves
    Tumblr: Pink-C0ffee [ 18+ ONLY ]
    My fb: Lanora Zhane
    Youtube pages: 2Curls1Journey & LanoraZhaneVideos [ i'll post videos soon..I really just need to handle things prior]

Please give me tips and send me messages..maybe we could help each other. Also I'm kind of lost on how to work with this but I'll figure it out.

Welcome Lanora! I am very glad that you decided to come here for help with your curls.

I did have chance to check out both YT channels. In the first one, your hair is worn curly. However, in the second channel, your hair is worn straight. So, for me to best help you, I will need to know a bit more about what you have been doing to your hair up until this point.

Since you have been natural, when was the last time that you used heat on your hair to straighten it? If you have not worn your hair straightened since going natural, please let me know this as well.

Also, I will need to know more about your current regimen, so that I can better understand how you are currently caring for your hair at this time. Please list the current products your use in your hair, and how often you use them as well.

I definitely will try my best to do all that I can to help you.
    Diagnosed with Scalp Eczema 6/2015
    (Don't hair type/loose curl pattern/fine texture/low density/high porosity

Current Regimen (Ayurvedic Based):
    Cleansers- Bobeam Shampoo Bars
    Stylers-Rotate between Camille Rose Naturals Almond Jai Twisting Butter and Camille Rose Naturals Aloe Whipped Butter Gel

I only wear my hair in wash n gos or buns. Also,
    I do not use conditioner on my hair on a weekly basis. And, my hair is A ok with that!
  • LanoralovespinkLanoralovespink Posts: 13Registered Users
    Aw, thank you!! And Really? I thought they were both curly…need to check into that. But right now I just use either coconut milk by Organix to co-wash my hair ( i do this when I shower, if I'm not planning on a certain style.) I dry with a teeshirt for 5-8 min, after I use Nexxus relieve split end. I put a moisturizer, Cantu shea butter and herbal oil (or coconut) into my hair then air dry. I actually tried finger detangling today and liked it.
    If I plan on working out that day I'll co-wash my hair prior then go and come back to detangle and rinse out.

Styles I do are either, twist outs, bantu knots, buns or wash-n-gos.

I use styling products such as Miss Jessie's Gel, Curls Unleashed, and I believe that is all.

I'll post a pic up of my hair when it isn't styled…Photo on 3-24-14 at 11.26 PM #2.jpg
    :icon_smile::icon_smile:
    Aw, thank you!! And Really? I thought they were both curly…need to check into that. But right now I just use either coconut milk by Organix to co-wash my hair ( i do this when I shower, if I'm not planning on a certain style.) I dry with a teeshirt for 5-8 min, after I use Nexxus relieve split end. I put a moisturizer, Cantu shea butter and herbal oil (or coconut) into my hair then air dry. I actually tried finger detangling today and liked it.
    If I plan on working out that day I'll co-wash my hair prior then go and come back to detangle and rinse out.

Styles I do are either, twist outs, bantu knots, buns or wash-n-gos.

I use styling products such as Miss Jessie's Gel, Curls Unleashed, and I believe that is all.

I'll post a pic up of my hair when it isn't styled…Photo on 3-24-14 at 11.26 PM #2.jpg

Thanks for the additional info provided. I really appreciate it. Based upon the picture provided, you have definitely have more than one curl pattern on your head. The ends of your curls in certain areas is of a looser texture than the rest of your hair. I consider such areas to be of Type 3B. Your hair mainly everywhere else is of Type 3c, with some areas of Type 4 curls mixed in.

I honestly feel that the Curly Girl Method would work best for your curls. It does include not using sulfate free shampoos, silicones, and mineral oil on one's hair. As, most silicones are not water soluble. And, they require the use of a harsh shampoo to completely remove such out of one's hair. The same thing can be said about mineral oil. There are some cones that have been modified to be water soluble. If the cone does not have PEG- or PPG- in front of it, then it is not water soluble. Therefore, it is not CG friendly.

First, I recommend that you start off with making an appointment with a stylist who knows how to cut and style curly hair. The difference between a great and a good hairstyle is in how the stylist properly shapes it. You should go in with a look of how you want your hair to be shaped. This of course will involve the use of scissors. But don't be scared. As your taking the necessary steps towards getting your curls to look their best.

At this time, I feel that the Curly Girl Method would be best for your hair. However, before you start the CG Method, you are to clarify your hair first. You are to use a shampoo with sulfates to do this. This must be done in order to properly remove any silicones and all product buildup from your hair, so that it can have as clean of a slate as possible with which you are to start your new hair journey off with.

Here's a list of CG friendly products, that you can easily buy from off the ground and that won't have you spending lots of $$$ for it. Please feel free to try any of the products listed below:

Cleansers:

1)As I Am Coconut Co Wash Cleansing Conditioner

2)Shea Moisture Raw Shea Butter Moisture Retention Shampoo

3)Shea Moisture Coconut and Hibiscus Curl and Shine Shampoo

4)Shea Moisture Coconut and Hibiscus Cleansing Conditioner

5) Curls Creamy Curl Cleanser

6) Eden Body Works CoconutShea Co Wash

7) Cantu Sulfate Free Cleansing Cream Shampoo

Conditioners:

1)As I Am Hydration Elation Deep Conditioner

2) Shea Moisture Raw Shea Butter Restorative Conditioner

3)Shea Moisture Raw Shea Butter Deep Treatment Masque

4) Shea Moisture Curl and Shine Conditioner

5) Eden Body Works Jojoba Monoi Conditioner

6)Curls Coconut Curlada Conditioner

7) Cantu Sulfate Free Hydrating Cream Conditioner

Leave Ins:

1)As I Am Leave In Conditioner

2) Kinky-Curly Knot Today

Curl Refresher:

Curls Lavish Curls Moisturizer

Stylers:

1) Curls Crème Brule

2) Shea Moisture Coconut and Hibiscus Curl Enhancing Souffle

3) Shea Moisture Coconut and Hibiscus Curl and Style Milk

4) Eco Styler Gel (comes in different versions)

5) Kinky-Curly Curling Custard

6) Curls Goddess Curls Gel

7) Eden Body Works Curly Pudding - Soft Hold

8) Eden Body Works Curl Defining Crème - Medium Hold

After either only co washing your hair/or co washing & conditioning it/ or possibly shampooing & conditioning it instead, it is recommended that you leave your hair relatively soaking wet. You are to lightly dab your hair to remove a bit of excess water, scrunching while doing so. You are to detangle your hair while it is still wet. It is recommended that you either use your fingers or a wide-toothed comb (whichever works best for you). As, the use of a brush is not needed while on the CG Method. You are to apply styling product to your hair, and lastly it is preferred that you let your hair airdry. While your hair is airdrying, you are never to touch it, as it will cause it to frizz. However, if you must blowdry your hair, I would recommend that you use a blowdryer that is of ionic technology, that will provide shine and help to lock out frizz.

Hope this info helps!

Stylers-Rotate between Camille Rose Naturals Almond Jai Twisting Butter and Camille Rose Naturals Aloe Whipped Butter Gel

I do not use conditioner on my hair on a weekly basis. And, my hair is A ok with that!
    OMG! Thank you so much. I actually use the sulfate free shampoo :( But my mother has bought a huge sulfate shampoo should I begin using that after I get rid my style & my stylist cuts my hair the way I like. I try to get it every couple of months I'm actually due for a trim soon. And I'll look into some of those products you listed above. :) If theres any other tips you want to leave me let me know.
  • CGSince2002CGSince2002 Posts: 1,073Banned Users
    Hi Lanora, and welcome!

If you're trying to grow out your hair getting trims every couple of months is going to keep your hair at pretty much the same length because of the way the hair coils around itself. As long as you take good care of your hair properly it's not true that you have to follow a strict trim schedule.

Oh, and about your hair "type", in the video it looked to me like 3C but if you're still using shampoo it could really be 4A. BUT much more important than that are your hair properties.
    Joined Curltalk 1st time in early '02 shortly after starting CG. I'm a non-practicing Cosmetologist.
    Hair: color-treated, mostly 3A.
    CO-wash: VO5 K&L
    RO: SpaHaus Salon w/OO, VO5 Shea Cashmere, W.R. Trop. Coconut, Daily Defense Moisturizing & others.
    LI: Beautiful Curls w/Shea Butter & C.O., Hollywood Beauty OO Creme, VO5 K&L, Aveda Be Curly Curl Enhancer.
    Gels: LAL Wet Look, ORS Lock & Twist.
    Oils: Jojoba, EVCO & Africa's Best Ultimate Herbal Oil

OMG! Thank you so much. I actually use the sulfate free shampoo :( But my mother has bought a huge sulfate shampoo should I begin using that after I get rid my style & my stylist cuts my hair the way I like. I try to get it every couple of months I'm actually due for a trim soon. And I'll look into some of those products you listed above. :) If theres any other tips you want to leave me let me know.

I am not sure if the stylist is going to wash and condition your hair before cutting and styling it. That is dependent upon what you want the stylist to do when you go for your appointment. If you are just going in for a haircut/trim, then, you would start off your new journey using the Curly Girl Method by using a sulfate shampoo to completely clarify your hair of all silicones and other product buildup, so that you can start off with your hair being as clean as possible.

If the stylist happens to wash and condition your hair, and then proceeds towards cutting/trimming your hair, before styling it, then that would be totally different. As, I will unfortunately have no knowledge of which products are being used in your hair, along with the ingredients that are in them. However, to be on the safe side, upon your next hair wash I would clarify your hair as recommended, and then proceed (based upon your preference) to either just co wash only, or co wash your hair and then condition it afterwards, or instead use a sulfate free shampoo and then follow that up with conditioner.

Always remember to keep your hair in a manageable shape and style to it, that will allow for easy styling and manageability. No matter what length you choose for your hair to have, always make sure that your curls have a maintainable shape/style to them. As, that does play a big part along with the products used in your hair, towards the overall look of your curls.

Wish you all the best with your curls!

Leave a Comment

BoldItalicStrikethroughOrdered listUnordered list
Emoji
Align leftAlign centerAlign rightToggle HTML viewToggle full pageToggle lights
Drop image/file