CurlTalk

Recs for lightweight conditioner

curlypearlcurlypearl Posts: 11,970Registered Users Curl Neophyte
Please suggest a lightweight, drugstore conditioner. I need something that won't weigh down my hair and my winter conditioner is too rich and heavy. Doesn't have to be c.g.

Thanks!
2/c Coarse hair med. density.
Highly porous. Color over grey.
I love all the Curl Junkie products. Still experimenting with gels and curl creams. Still hoping for 2nd day hair....
Every day is a gift :flower:

Comments

• geekrockgirl85geekrockgirl85 Posts: 170Registered Users
    Honestly depending on how light you want it, the CG options most folks use for washing might be the best options.. V05 and Suave Naturals are nice to hair but not overly thick. And cheap!

My porous hair doesn't like them for anything other than the wash.. I *need* to go a bit thicker for a rinse out! Which also makes me want to ask... what do you use in winter? :) (eta: unless it's the one in your sig... which wasn't showing up when I was typing a reply. hehe)
    2c. present color& past heat damage, fine, low-density, high porosity, happy with some protein. re-CG as of 5/2014. Wash:V05 PFS or KLS, RO: (trying to use up my stash; so it's always different!), LI: Cure Care, DT: SM Smooth & Repair Hair Masque, Style: Ecostyler Olive Oil / La Bella Lots of Curls gel
  • curlypearlcurlypearl Posts: 11,970Registered Users Curl Neophyte
    Thanks GeekRockGirl! I actually have Deva NoPoo (which I like a lot) so I'll use that as a lightweight conditioner. It is c.g. also which is always a bonus, but I use a coco-betaine shampoo once a week so I get away with silicones unless I overdo that.

In the winter I use Curl Junkie Curl Rehab which is great for deep condish and Bumble & Bumble something - can't remember but it is their rich (very rich!) conditioner. My hair is also porous.

My siggie says I use Curl Junkie Beauticurls Strengthening Conditioner, but actually I only use that very rarely since it has protein and protein makes my hair stiff. My hair is dyed so I do use it once in a while.

Thanks a lot for responding!
    I love all the Curl Junkie products. Still experimenting with gels and curl creams. Still hoping for 2nd day hair....
  • rbbrbb Posts: 4,089Registered Users Curl Dabbler
    cp -- have you tried cj beauticurls leave in? it is lightweight.

3a, some 2c & 3b, medium texture, porosity normal, low elasticity :-(
    washing/cowashing, conditioning, protein tx: curl junkie products
    leave in:cj conditioners and treatments as leave in
    styling: cj aloe fix gel, cj pattern pusha, cj honey butta leave in, cj cccc, cj ciab.
    sealants - jane carter nourish & shine
  • WeathercurlWeathercurl Posts: 228Registered Users
    I am very easily weighed down and often skip a leave in. But I can use Giovanni Direct leave in without problems. Its nice and light. I just apply a pea sized amount to my ends and it seems to help with clumping and keeps my hair from drying out when I use any of the salt sprays.
    2b/2c ( weather permitting - 3a), fine texture but lots of it, colored and highlights, BSL.
    Experimenting w CG since Oct 2012

Current rotation:
    cowash= TN
    AG Gel Mousse, LA Gel,
    DT = Coconut oil (love)
  • Geek_ChicGeek_Chic Posts: 1,255Registered Users
    If your hair likes protein, Cure Care (Sally's brand) is very basic, lightweight and protein rich. It's also fragrance and dye free. Works as RO or LI for me. My other favorites are VO5 Kiwi Lime Squeeze (co-washing and RO), and VO5 Strawberries & Cream (co-wash, RO, or LI).
    CG since 11/2011
    2c /3a F /Mii, low porosity

Go To Products /Routine:
    Clarifying: Suave Essentials Strawberry
    Low Poo: Renpure Luxurious Argan Oil
    CO: Suave Essentials Strawberry, V05 Kiwi Lime
    RO /LI: Tresemme Perfectly (un)Done, Cure Care, V05 Kiwi Lime Squeeze, Suave Essentials Strawberry, Renpure Brazilian Keratin (old formula)
    Stylers: LALSG, AIF, HETT, Suave Professionals Firm Control
    PT: IAGirl's as needed
    Hi RBB, I love cj products but I've never tried the leave-in. I'll have to make sure it doesn't have protein. Thanks for the rec!
    Weathercurl,
    The Giovanni Direct Leave-in has a good reputation. If I buy one, I'll definitely try that first, since I can get it at a drugstore.

Thanks for chiming in! :icescream:
    Geek Chic my hair hates protein. :thumbdown: I can only use it once in a while. The VO-5's sound good enough to eat. :thumright:

Thanks for the recs! I can pick those up anywhere which is important since I have no time to be shopping around these days.
    curlypearl wrote: »
    Geek Chic my hair hates protein. :thumbdown: I can only use it once in a while. The VO-5's sound good enough to eat. :thumright:

Thanks for the recs! I can pick those up anywhere which is important since I have no time to be shopping around these days.

Your hair may hate the Kiwi Lime Squeeze then, as it has a good amount of hydrolyzed collagen. VO5's conditioners do smell yummy though. :) The Strawberries & Cream has a small amount of soymilk, but acts like a moisturizing conditioner on my hair. If you want to check out the other CG friendly VO5 options, the ingredients for all are on VO5's website. If I recall, the protein free options are any Tea Therapy conditioner, Silky Experiences Island Coconut, Herbal Escapes Pomegranate & Grapeseed, Ocean Refresh, and Sun-Kissed Raspberry. Passion Fruit Smoothie says it has soy protein, but there's none listed in the ingredients list.
    CG since 11/2011

Go To Products /Routine:
    RO /LI: Tresemme Perfectly (un)Done, Cure Care, V05 Kiwi Lime Squeeze, Suave Essentials Strawberry, Renpure Brazilian Keratin (old formula)
    Thanks Geek Chic. That's very informative. My inner pj is itching to try them all.
  • CurliniCurlini Posts: 258Registered Users
    Yes to Cucumbers has really nice lightweight conditioners.
    If you're near a Trader Joe's they also have some good ones.
    Good luck!
    Medium Texture/Normal Porosity
    Conditioners: Curl Junkie conditioners, Elucence moisture balancing, Darcy's pumpkin seed, Mop Top Daily
    Gels: CJ Pattern Pusha, CJ Curl Queen, UFDCM, Mop Top Curly Custard, KCCC (wish it didn't take so long to dry!), CJ Aloe Fix Lite
    Weekly PT (CJ Repair Me) & DT
    Icequeen method
    CG since Aug. 08, still a lot to learn

[SIGPIC][/SIGPIC]
    Hi Curlini - haven't seen you for a while. Yes to cucumbers - the name always makes me laugh, but a lot of people like it. At least it wouldn't be fattening! I am near a Trader Joe's so that's a good rec also.

Thanks everyone - lots of choices!
    cp -- you know you can get curl junkie at rickys? check her website for the locations. i think you are in the city, so..... (and, of course, aveyou.com)
    the beauticurls leave is both moisturizing and lightweight, so even if it isn't your first try, you might want to try it at some time.

styling: cj aloe fix gel, cj pattern pusha, cj honey butta leave in, cj cccc, cj ciab.
    rbb - No kidding - at Ricky's? There's one a block from my house. Thanks - I will get my CJ stuff there. I must have missed it somehow.
    yes, several of the rickys carry curl junkie. go the to cj website to find out the exact ones.
    (i just saw that my computer did an "auto-correct" on the name rickys to ricks! LOL! sometimes i hate the auto-correct.)

Auto-correct is hilarious! Have you ever seen the site - I think it is called damn you auto-correct? So funny. :compress:
  • sixelamysixelamy Posts: 4,156Registered Users Curl Neophyte
    lightweight good quality drugstore brand = Yes to Cucumbers conditioner
    2c-3a - med-coarse - normal-high porosity - high density
    :bunny:
    NP/LP: CJ Daily Fix, KMF Whenever / Giovanni TTTT
    RO/LI: Aussie Moist, CJ Argan & Olive Oil, Hask Keratin Protein
    DC/PROTEIN: KC Stellar Strands / CNPF
    STYLER: CJ Curl Queen
    COLOR: henna, amla & indigo
    :thumbdown:: glycerin in high/low dews, polyquat-10 & 11, parabens
    That's the second vote for this brand. Curlini above also recommended it.
  • naomilenanaomilena Posts: 47Registered Users
    I like Yes to Carrots and Giovanni Direct. Both have worked well for me.
  • RebeccaKRebeccaK Posts: 305Registered Users
    Not sure if you're still on the hunt, but in preparation for running out of my dwindling stash of the old Tresemme Naturals formula, I've found Suave Naturals Everlasting Sunshine and Daily Clarifying conditioners to work for my protein sensitive hair.

For me, the absence of aloe and humectants is crucial (no polyquats either!) so these are both in the running so far. They're both too light for my hair, so I mix in oil before using.... obviously that would not be a step you'd take! =)
    naomilena wrote: »

The Yes to Carrots seemed to leave a film on my hair in a similar manner to a lot of the Deva products. Never investigated why, and it may not be a problem for you but though I'd mention it. Still liking the Giovanni Direct though.
    2b/2c ( weather permitting - 3a), fine texture but lots of it, colored and highlights, BSL.

Current rotation:
    cowash= TN
    AG Gel Mousse, LA Gel,
    DT = Coconut oil (love)
    Thanks, Naomilena for chiming in. :profileleft:

RebeccaK I also have protein sensitive hair, so your post is helpful.

Weathercurl, I just tried the Deva NoPoo, since I have that in my stash, and it does seem to leave a film on my hair.

Lots of great suggestions - will be trying some of them! I appreciate all the responses.

The Yes to Carrots seemed to leave a film on my hair in a similar manner to a lot of the Deva products. Never investigated why, and it may not be a problem for you but though I'd mention it. Still liking the Giovanni Direct though.

As I recall, all the Yes To Carrots "flavors" of conditioner have cetyl esters fairly high up in the ingredients lists, and it's a waxy ingredient. Might account for the coated feeling.
    CG since 11/2011

Go To Products /Routine:
    It's amazing what I learn on this site! I'm still learning. Thanks Geek_Chic. Good to know! I'm going to look out for that ingredient in my other products.
    curlypearl wrote: »
    It's amazing what I learn on this site! I'm still learning. Thanks Geek_Chic. Good to know! I'm going to look out for that ingredient in my other products.

Yvw Curlypearl. Cetyl esters aren't a problem for everyone, but some experience buildup when they use a product that contains it.
    CG since 11/2011

Go To Products /Routine:
    Geek_Chic wrote: »

As I recall, all the Yes To Carrots "flavors" of conditioner have cetyl esters fairly high up in the ingredients lists, and it's a waxy ingredient. Might account for the coated feeling.
    Thanks, Geek - I had a vague memory that cetyl esters were the problem. I have noticed the same build up with other products that include them.

Current rotation:
    cowash= TN
    AG Gel Mousse, LA Gel,
    DT = Coconut oil (love)
    Geek_Chic wrote: »

Thanks, Geek - I had a vague memory that cetyl esters were a problem with this brand. I have noticed the same build up with other products that include them.
    Curlypearl - Deva products are the worst for me. The low poo and the gels leave my hair coated with a nasty film and limp and frizzy to boot. I get better results from Suave products or some of the other less expensive lines. Simple is best for me. My hair doesn't like Shea butter, Ceytl esters, and many polyquats.

Current rotation:
    cowash= TN
    AG Gel Mousse, LA Gel,
    DT = Coconut oil (love)
  • asianrunnerasianrunner Posts: 2,251Registered Users
    I'm not sure if you can find Elucence on ground, but I liked the moisture balancing conditioner. Pretty lightweight and citrusy.
    Coarse texture, normal-high porosity, normal elasticity (Komaza Care), very weak waves
    cleanser: Redken Fresh Curls Shampoo, CJ Daily Fix

rinse out: GVP Conditioning Balm, CJ Beauticurls, CJ Smoothing

jellies/creams: CR Curl Maker, KCCC
    gels: CJ CQ, CJ Pattern Pusha, BRHG

Asianrunner, I think I've seen it sold at Ricky's which is right near me. Another good suggestion! :profileleft:
  • asianrunnerasianrunner Posts: 2,251Registered Users
    curlypearl, you are a lucky curly to have those products on ground!
    Coarse texture, normal-high porosity, normal elasticity (Komaza Care), very weak waves
    cleanser: Redken Fresh Curls Shampoo, CJ Daily Fix

rinse out: GVP Conditioning Balm, CJ Beauticurls, CJ Smoothing

jellies/creams: CR Curl Maker, KCCC
    gels: CJ CQ, CJ Pattern Pusha, BRHG