co-wash advice

MoosemarcyMoosemarcy Registered Users Posts: 157
I have a question. I've co-washed a few times and my hair was pretty oily still. Is there a conditioner that is less conditioning. Does that make sense? What I mean, is if the conditioner doesn't have to much moisture properties in it maybe my hair would not seem so greasy afterwards. And I do scrub and keep it on for awhile. I even used the brown sugar idea. I liked it. But I did not like the baking soda. So what is a less moisturizing co-wash product. Any idea's. Thanks. :?

Comments

• teela1978teela1978 Registered Users Posts: 278
    There are quite a few favorites floating on this site. The cheapo ones I can think of off the top of my head are Suave Aloe Vera, V05 kiwi lime, V05 passion fruit smoothie, and White Rain Extra Body (my current favorite). Diluting sometimes helps a lot too, I usually keep an extra bottle of conditioner around to dilute my washing conditioner in.
    Fine Wavy (2a)
    Weeklyish shampoo with CO's inbetween to keep down the grease.
  • MoosemarcyMoosemarcy Registered Users Posts: 157
    I've used the V05 and my hair was horrible. I will try to dilute it. Thanks for the tip. What is the [buylink=http://www.curlmart.com/CURLS-Curls-Milkshake-p-884.html?utm_source=naturallycurly.com&utm_medium=text-link&utm_content=curltalk-post-text&utm_campaign=Curls-Curls-Milkshake]Curls Milkshake[/buylink]? Is that a conditioner? :?
  • tinabcurlytinabcurly Registered Users Posts: 545
    IMO, the least moisturizing cowash is [buylink=http://www.curlmart.com/DevaCurl-No-Poo-p-53.html?utm_source=naturallycurly.com&utm_medium=text-link&utm_content=curltalk-post-text&utm_campaign=devacurl-devacurl-nopoo]DevaCurl NoPoo[/buylink]. Gets rid of any weird scalp feeling for me. It dries my hair out if I use it too often so I alternate with Trader Joe's Nourish condish. Very nice--detangles, cleans well, no residue, cheap.

VO5 & Suave tend to buildup on my scalp whether diluted or not. Just my luck- the one's that smell awesome & are cheap, my scalp hates.

HTH!
    3a/b mix
    pw:curlyqs
    Fine Wavy (2a)
    tinabcurly, Isn't DivaCurl no-poo a non-sulfate shampoo not a co-wash. On another thread that is what I was told. It is pretty confusing. That is what I have been using is non-sulfate shampoo's because the co-washes I have tried seem to over condition my hair and make it feel heavy and dirty.
    :?
    Moosemarcy, I'm pretty sure the Deva no-poo is a conditioner wash, the low-poo is a sulfate-free shampoo.
    Fine Wavy (2a)
    That's right. I got confused again. I am going to try the DevaCurl Products.
    I am going to buy the no-poo and see if it works better than a conditioner co-wash for me. :P
  • KaterinaKaterina Registered Users Posts: 117
    Moosemarcy wrote:
    That's right. I got confused again. I am going to try the DevaCurl Products.
    I am going to buy the no-poo and see if it works better than a conditioner co-wash for me. :P

Moosemarcy, you're new to the no-poo routine, right? Give it some time. I've been on CG for roughly 2 months now. My first 10 days-2 weeks I was one ugly grease pit. No formation, overproduction of oil on the scalp. It was a mess and I was so discouraged. After about the 2nd week, things began to change for me.

I learned I was washing too much with the conditioner. I started getting my hair wet daily and just putting a light coating of conditioner on my hair, which I rinsed out afterwards. About once a week now I do a wash of some sort, whether a lemon rinse or baking soda, or conditioner.

Is it possible that you're using too much conditioner for you?
    fine, wavy hair with lazy waves. Sometimes lanky spiral curls underneath when the weath is very humid. My waves are capricious like me! Presently using Burt's Bees condish, FOTE AVG with honey or Mop Top gel.
    Hi Katerina, yes I need to give it longer. I have been doing the low-poo because of the greasies. When you wet your hair and put conditioner on it do you scrub your scalp also? And how much conditioner do you use. I might try different ones to see if that will work better. I hate to feel dirty hair. But using the low-poo has does wonders for my hair. No frizz whatsoever. Haven't had that in years. I always had to curling iron or flat iron to get rid of frizz. The sulfates were so damaging. What products do you like best?u2efine.gif
  • HalfWavyHalfCurlyHalfWavyHalfCurly Registered Users Posts: 907
    Moosemarcy wrote:
    I've used the V05 and my hair was horrible.
    Which one(s)? They're not all the same...
    2A/3A, medium length, layered, colored dark/medium ash blonde - "CGer" since April '02.

"Converting the 'curlskeptics' one curly head at a time..." HWHC ;-)
    What are your favorite no poo's and low poo's? Also do you use a gel? I just tried a spray gel and it made my hair feel gunky. Ha, what a word. But it felt gross. Any suggestions? Thanks.
    It would be good for us to know first your hair type and its condition before making any recommendations because what may work for some may not for others. Important details would be whether the hair has been chemically treated in any way in recent months or been thermally straightened often and as I believe someone already mentioned, if your water is hard or normal.

Personally, most of the time I'm using V05K&L for washing and a variety of other COs for conditioning but it won't do any good to tell you which ones because most of them have been discontinued or I got them from the Dominican Republic but one thing they all have in common is that they contain some kind of oil and if they don't, like another V05 I have, I usually add it before applying it. My favorte gel is actually a homemade flaxseed one with Epsom salt and Evening Primrose Oil (EPO), the second one is really not one but two mixed together: Organic Root Stimulator Lock & Twist Gel and Fruit of the Earth 100% Aloe Vera GEl (FOTEAVG). Which spray gel was that that made your hair feel "gunky and gross"?
    2A/3A, medium length, layered, colored dark/medium ash blonde - "CGer" since April '02.

My hair is about a 2B. It has gotten straighter believe it or not since I quit using sulfates in my shampoo. And I used to have the curl and frizz both. Now when my hair is dry I have neither. I am so shocked. I never thought that I could not have to worry about frizz. But I am also sad that most of the curl is gone. Why? But when I curling iron it my hair stays curly until I wash it. My hair is in very good condition. It seems to be healthy. I trim my hair every other month. I color my hair also. And sometime flat iron it. I believe my water is hard also. The spray gel was L'oreal. :)
    I really think you just need a better CO.

The purpose of eliminating shampoo (or at least spaaaacing it) is to give the hair the opportunity to get rehydrated because well moisturized hair curls at its maximum potential and often has zero frizz. Even if your hair appears to be in good condition it can still be a little "thirsty", especially because you color and flat iron it occasionally: the first leaves the cuticle permanently partially open (so moisture escapes more easily) and the second steals moisture from any type of hair. Besides, cheap COs cannot really nourish the hair, they rely heavily on inexpensive ingredients that "coat" the hair sometimes weighing it down, this is really more of a problem for those like you who have hard water, btw, so I'm fairly sure that's the reason for your lack of curl definition.

If you can't spend much on a CO, your best bet would be trying one of Nature's Gate's COs which you can find at most health food stores sometimes for less than $5 the 18 oz. bottle which is really a great value considering they contain much better ingredients.

Thanks for all of the advice HalfWaveHalfCurly, I will try those conditioners. I have a lot of other conditioners too. Like Activate, Bedhead Moisture Maniac, Tigi Oatmeal and Honey Conditioner. I am not worried about price. What do you think are good co-wash conditioners? What can you do about having hard water? Anything? Any rinses to help remove the minerals from hair? :(
    I have never used any of the COs you mention but if they're 'cone-free I'm sure any of them would be OK to try keeping in mind that your type of water may limit their effectiveness. For that particular reason, I'm afraid what I consider good for washing might not work for you. In fact, sometimes full CG doesn't work well for people with hard water and most have to shampoo at least occasionally. Other people resort to using at least one vinegar rinse every week or maybe "Lemon-Aid" which seem to help remove any film from their hair, so try and see if that works for you. Oh, one more thing: to prevent those acid rinses from drying your hair out be sure to give yourself a DT every couple of weeks or just add a few drops of a good oil to your CO every now and then.

• Koukla72Koukla72 Registered Users Posts: 1,680
    Edited due to a cyberstalker. Sorry, guys. :(
  • tooj68tooj68 Registered Users Posts: 471
    Maybe VO5 Vanilla Mint Tea Therapy Clarifying Condish would work.

I don't find it to be moisturizing, it's really a good clarifier IMHO.
    3B, with oodles and oodles of curly hair! :toothy7:
    Summer Faves: Devacare NoPoo & OneC, CF High Humidity Gel.
    2nd day hair: Deva Set Me Up pomade & Mr. Right
    DT: Devacurl Heaven in Hair
    Been CG since 2005 and never looked back!
  • meriellynmeriellyn Registered Users Posts: 1,135
    My all time favorite washing conditioner is American Crew Daily Conditioner. The rosemary and pepermint oils leave my scalp feeling fresh.
    My favorite gel right now is Loreal Tightly Wound.
    2/f/i, waist length w/ long layers

http://public.fotki.com/thekittenavenger
    pwd: hair

~a wave in a sea of curls ;)
  • 2bforme2bforme Registered Users Posts: 81
    I 2nd either the Kiwi/Lime Squeeze or Vanilla Mint Tea clarifying conditioner(s) by VO5. Both smell freaking awesome. I find that they do cleanse my hair without weighing it down. The thing that seems to work for me is to make SURE that I rinse out ALL of the conditioner that I use to wash with-ALL of it, very thoroughly. Then I apply a small amount of heavier conditioner and comb that through. I think it's important to rinse out that first round of conditioner, because since there isn't really much surfactant, it grabs the dirt and oils, but doesn't really break them down like shampoo will. You need the rinse to wash the conditioner and dirt away.
    You do not lead by hitting people over the head-that's assault, not leadership. -Dwight Eisenhower
    That's really good advice, that's exactly what I do too: rinse, rinse, rinse! :D

Leave a Comment

BoldItalicStrikethroughOrdered listUnordered list
Emoji
Align leftAlign centerAlign rightToggle HTML viewToggle full pageToggle lights
Drop image/file