products changing curl type?

aprilmomaprilmom Posts: 27Registered Users
:glasses8:I have always considered myself a 2c. (wavy girl with thick hair). Years ago I tried Jessicurl and loved it but it wasnt in my budget so I ended up using other products. I have gone back to Jessicurl after a few years. I wish I could post a pic right now (will try later), but my curls are more spiraled than wavy now. I am not complaining at ALL (I love my hair now!), I was just wondering if anyone had ever experienced anything like this when changing products. Also my hair is longer than in my profile pic (though I dont think it is much longer), but NORMALLY my hair straightens out and gets more wavy with length because of the thickness. Can curl pattern change over time? Sorry, I am clueless about this. TIA for any advice!
Modified CG since September 2007 Type 2C :love2: High Porosity (I think)
LP -Jessicurl HCC
RO - Jessicurl Too Shea
LI - Jessicurl RR
Styling - Coconut Oil Hair Serum, Jessicurl Awe Inspiraling Spray
DT - Jessicurl DT or coconut oil
Itch Treatment - baking soda

Hair loves - coconut and argan oil; plopping
Hair Hates - too much protein

Comments

• geekrockgirl85geekrockgirl85 Posts: 170Registered Users
    yes, curl patterns can absolutely change, but it's usually a combination of other factors rather than just time. Also why a lot of people talk about the importance of density/porosity/elasticity/etc. over the visual identifications.

For example, hormones have probably had the biggest effect on my hair; I had unruly but just barely wavy hair until I hit puberty.. then all of a sudden i had a head full of 3b. Since I've been on Depo shots (and with years of heat/color/sulfate damage to help), my curls have relaxed quite a bit. My dad is a curly as well, and his curl pattern has started to naturally relax since he's been going gray.

The weight and length of hair itself can be a factor, as you mentioned; when I cut my hair short, it's usually fairly straight with a "flip" at the ends until it grows out more substantially.

Products, damage, and weather conditions are other things that can definitely have an effect on the appearance of your curl pattern. We all know the havoc humidity can wreak on a good hair day! And certain heads love humectants/emollients/proteins/etc., and others don't... which can result in tighter, springier curls or heavier, looser ones depending on your body chemistry and any abuse you may have previously put your hair through.

There *is* often a rhyme and reason to changes in pattern, but it seems like most people on these forums usually come across them through trial and error (like you did with your Jessicurl) and then work back to figure out how to use that information for must-have or must-avoid ingredients to our advantage.

YAY for finding products that make you happy with your hair. :)
    2c. present color& past heat damage, fine, low-density, high porosity, happy with some protein. re-CG as of 5/2014. Wash:V05 PFS or KLS, RO: (trying to use up my stash; so it's always different!), LI: Cure Care, DT: SM Smooth & Repair Hair Masque, Style: Ecostyler Olive Oil / La Bella Lots of Curls gel
  • BotticelliBritBotticelliBrit Posts: 2,075Registered Users Curl Neophyte
    aprilmom wrote: »
    :glasses8:I have always considered myself a 2c. (wavy girl with thick hair). Years ago I tried Jessicurl and loved it but it wasnt in my budget so I ended up using other products. I have gone back to Jessicurl after a few years. I wish I could post a pic right now (will try later), but my curls are more spiraled than wavy now. I am not complaining at ALL (I love my hair now!), I was just wondering if anyone had ever experienced anything like this when changing products. Also my hair is longer than in my profile pic (though I dont think it is much longer), but NORMALLY my hair straightens out and gets more wavy with length because of the thickness. Can curl pattern change over time? Sorry, I am clueless about this. TIA for any advice!

Some products can encourage the curl pattern. Also, maybe because you've been taking better care of your hair now, it's gotten curly? Your hair could also just be responding really well to the ingredients in Jessicurl.

I had the same experience when I switched from Shea Moisture to Tresemme (I was on a budget too) and then recently switched back to Shea Moisture. My curls were much tighter and bouncier and just all around BETTER!

I'm glad you love your hair and that you've had such good results :D
    3B. Med porosity. Med thickness. Med density.

LP: Shea Moisture (currently JBCO)
    Conditioner/CW: Jason Aloe Vera

LI: Aunt Jackie's Curls & Coils Quench
    Refreshing: TRESemmé Naturals Aloe Vera & Avocado
    Gel: DevaCurl Ultra Defining Gel
    DC:
    Aunt Jackie's Soft & Sassy Super Duper Softening Conditioner
    Treatments: Coconut oil/Coconut milk

UK curly. CG since Oct 2013.
    Growing my hair to WL when dry :thumright:
  • kathymackkathymack Posts: 9,999Registered Users Curl Neophyte
    I never used products until I started lurking on nc.com. When I started, I was a winter wavy/summer 3a (some of the time.) Now that I've learned how to take care of my hair, it looks like my signature picture all year around.
    3a (Corkicelli), highlighted, fine, low porosity
    SE PA

HGs: Anything Sevi; Curly Kinks Satin Roots, Curlycue ReNew and Coil Jam; homemade FSG and okra gel; soap bars; UFD Curly Magic; Botanical Spirits Jellies, CJ Repair Me, Aloe Fix
    [SIGPIC][/SIGPIC]
  • naomilenanaomilena Posts: 47Registered Users
    My sister's hair was wavy for years, and then it changed to spirals. She has no idea why!

Leave a Comment

BoldItalicStrikethroughOrdered listUnordered list
Emoji
Align leftAlign centerAlign rightToggle HTML viewToggle full pageToggle lights
Drop image/file