Man needs help

readyforthecurlreadyforthecurl Posts: 10Registered Users
Hey :wave:

Super dry head here..usually just gets a short haircut every so often as not to concern myself with hair, but would like to figure out how to--as they say "manage it".

This seems like the place.

Comments

• RimiRimi Posts: 2,001Registered Users Curl Neophyte

Super dry head here..usually just gets a short haircut every so often as not to concern myself with hair, but would like to figure out how to--as they say "manage it".

Do you know what your hair porosity it? What do you normally do? What do you normally use?
    21 y/o lifelong natural {4a-O ; spongy ; coarse ; dense ; MBL stretched}

products {'poo: TJTTT shampoo | RO: TJTTT Condish | LI/style: TJTTT Condish, homemade cocoa butter cream | DC: condish + ayurvedic powder(s), Aussie 3MMM Treatment | PT: condish + NPF | oils: castor oil, grapeseed oil | other treatments: probiotics, tea rinses, AVG rinse/spritz, oil rinse | sealing method: LC sometimes O}

long-term: HL stretched, BSL unstretched

CG-friendly Products List!
  • readyforthecurlreadyforthecurl Posts: 10Registered Users
    Rimi wrote: »

Do you know what your hair porosity it? What do you normally do? What do you normally use?

Based on the porosity test? Low

I have don't have a regimen? Shampoo/Conditioner. The less I use the better it seems, though once I condition it after awhile it improves, but then I usually end up using too much conditioner which dries it out.
  • ReservechicReservechic Posts: 798Registered Users

Hi!:mrgreen:Thanks for coming here for help with your hair.

Do you possibly have a picture of your hair that you could possibly provide? As it would best allow for us to see exactly how short your curls are, along with how thick/thin your hair naturally is, along with the type of hair texture you naturally have, and for us to know exactly what your natural curl type is.

Also, are you only using shampoo and conditioner on your hair only? Based upon the information provided, I am unsure as to how you care for your hair on a normal basis and the products you currently use in it. Please, if you would, offer more info as to how you care for your hair on a regular basis along with the products used. As I would like to help you as best I can.
    Diagnosed with Scalp Eczema 6/2015
    (Don't hair type/loose curl pattern/fine texture/low density/high porosity

Current Regimen (Ayurvedic Based):
    Cleansers- Bobeam Shampoo Bars
    Stylers-Rotate between Camille Rose Naturals Almond Jai Twisting Butter and Camille Rose Naturals Aloe Whipped Butter Gel

I only wear my hair in wash n gos or buns. Also,
    I do not use conditioner on my hair on a weekly basis. And, my hair is A ok with that!
  • BluebloodBlueblood Posts: 1,748Registered Users Curl Neophyte

I have don't have a regimen? Shampoo/Conditioner. The less I use the better it seems, though once I condition it after awhile it improves, but then I usually end up using too much conditioner which dries it out.

What exact shampoo and conditioner? Write the big label on the bottles in your post.

Some shampoos and conditioners contain ingredients which will dry out your hair.

If you want us to help you, you need to be more specific with the information you provide.
  • chupiechupie Posts: 5,280Registered Users Curl Connoisseur
    Blueblood wrote: »

What exact shampoo and conditioner? Write the big label on the bottles in your post.

Some shampoos and conditioners contain ingredients which will dry out your hair.

If you want us to help you, you need to be more specific with the information you provide.

I would suspect the shampoo over the conditioner drying out the hair. Indeed, deets please!
    2a medium porous, You can see my wavy tutorials here: https://www.youtube.com/playlist?list=PLy8bclCLgER5N_uVYSYZNxhBHSXAW40OQ and my wavy blog is The Wavy Nation http://wavynation.wordpress.com
  • geekrockgirl85geekrockgirl85 Posts: 170Registered Users
    Although the shampoo was my first thought as well, I have had experience with conditioners that seem to further dull hair after a shampoo rather than perk it back up.. could be a bad combination.

But yes, readyforthecurl, being overanalytical about both the brands and ingredients you put in your hair seems to be part of the "secret" to healthier, better-looking curls, hence why it may seem we're giving you the third degree. :D

It's not for everyone, but a lot of people here do the "curly girl" method, which involves skipping shampoo, washing with conditioner, and watching ingredient labels like hawks when searching for styling product. Lots of threads to search through for pointersif you're interested.
    2c. present color& past heat damage, fine, low-density, high porosity, happy with some protein. re-CG as of 5/2014. Wash:V05 PFS or KLS, RO: (trying to use up my stash; so it's always different!), LI: Cure Care, DT: SM Smooth & Repair Hair Masque, Style: Ecostyler Olive Oil / La Bella Lots of Curls gel
    Do you possibly have a picture of your hair that you could possibly provide?

mhvbyu.jpg

2qtisqq.jpg
    Also, are you only using shampoo and conditioner on your hair only?

Yes, sometimes I will go a week or so without using anything though.

Right now, Selsun Blue shampoo/Dry Scalp. I've used various products over the years though..
  • RimiRimi Posts: 2,001Registered Users Curl Neophyte
    Ah. Selsun Blue is very drying.
    21 y/o lifelong natural {4a-O ; spongy ; coarse ; dense ; MBL stretched}

products {'poo: TJTTT shampoo | RO: TJTTT Condish | LI/style: TJTTT Condish, homemade cocoa butter cream | DC: condish + ayurvedic powder(s), Aussie 3MMM Treatment | PT: condish + NPF | oils: castor oil, grapeseed oil | other treatments: probiotics, tea rinses, AVG rinse/spritz, oil rinse | sealing method: LC sometimes O}

long-term: HL stretched, BSL unstretched

CG-friendly Products List!
    Do you possibly have a picture of your hair that you could possibly provide?

mhvbyu.jpg

2qtisqq.jpg
    Also, are you only using shampoo and conditioner on your hair only?

Yes, sometimes I will go a week or so without using anything though.

Right now, Selsun Blue shampoo/Dry Scalp. I've used various products over the years though..

You mentioned that you are currently using Selson Blue Shampoo/dry scalp. Are you currently using thus shampoo because you are currently suffering with dry, itchy scalp issues or is because you decided to try using it as a basic shampoo instead just to clean your hair with. It is definitely a very drying shampoo. And, with continued use it will leave your scalp and hair drier and drier. Now, you never mentioned what conditioner you currently use afterwards. Are you using any conditioner at all on your hair or not? Also, what styling product(s) are you currently using on your hair? As all of these things would be very helpful to know as well.

And, I highly recommend never going a week or so without using anything on your hair. One's hair should be washing at least one a week, or more if needed. And, styling product should be applied daily to keep your hair looking its best.

Don't worry! Sometimes it takes a bit of trial and error to put together a complete regimen that will suit our individual curl needs. We will continue to do that we can to help you okay.

Stylers-Rotate between Camille Rose Naturals Almond Jai Twisting Butter and Camille Rose Naturals Aloe Whipped Butter Gel

I do not use conditioner on my hair on a weekly basis. And, my hair is A ok with that!
    You mentioned that you are currently using Selson Blue Shampoo/dry scalp. Are you currently using thus shampoo because you are currently suffering with dry, itchy scalp issues or is because you decided to try using it as a basic shampoo instead just to clean your hair with.

I only use it I get dry scalp. I've used various shampoos and conditioners but I don't have a regimen. Sometimes, I 'll do both, one or the other or neither. I have a V05 conditioner right now. I haven't done anything to my hair in a week. I don't use styling products.
  • BluebloodBlueblood Posts: 1,748Registered Users Curl Neophyte
    You mentioned that you are currently using Selson Blue Shampoo/dry scalp. Are you currently using thus shampoo because you are currently suffering with dry, itchy scalp issues or is because you decided to try using it as a basic shampoo instead just to clean your hair with.

I only use it I get dry scalp. I've used various shampoos and conditioners but I don't have a regimen. Sometimes, I 'll do both, one or the other or neither. I have a V05 conditioner right now. I haven't done anything to my hair in a week. I don't use styling products.
    OK next week list what exact stuff you are using on your hair. So if for example you on Monday you use a Herbal Essences shampoo and then a VO5 conditioner say which ones.

This may seem pedantic to you but what we are trying to do is:
    1. Find out what you are using,
    2. Work out which products are causing your hair problems,
    3. Tell you to avoid using certain ones and encourage you to use the others.

If you have a lot of stuff in your bathroom there is little point us going out to tell you to buy more products.

In regards to the dry scalp is it a diagnosed medical problem or do you just feel you have dry scalp? Some practises and hair products can give you dry scalp for example if I get my head wet with rain then the next day I will have a flakes of skin on my scalp unless I wash my scalp.

In regards to the dry scalp is it a diagnosed medical problem or do you just feel you have dry scalp? Some practises and hair products can give you dry scalp for example if I get my head wet with rain then the next day I will have a flakes of skin on my scalp unless I wash my scalp.

I just feel I have dry scalp, I flakes on scalp and forehead every so often.
    and for us to know exactly what your natural curl type is.

What curl type do I have?

I just feel I have dry scalp, I flakes on scalp and forehead every so often.

I am confused about your current regimen. As, you are using Selson Blue, because you say you have a dry, flaky scalp. However, you also said that you will go a week or so without using nothing on your hair. So, is the only product that you are currently using on your hair Selson Blue and nothing else, meaning no conditioner or styling products as well either. Whatever additional information you can give about your current regimen, please do.

If you could let us know some of the products you have tried in the past that didn't work for you please let us know. Also, you did mention about having a VO5 Conditioner right now. Are you currently using that at all? And, if so, what is the exact name of the version you are using and please let us know how it has been working for you. Please share with us what products you've tried that haven't worked. So, that way, it would keep us from possibly recommending those same products for you to try.

and for us to know exactly what your natural curl type is.

What curl type do I have?

In the first picture provided, your hair has areas on top where the crown area has little to no curl to it, and towards the ends of your hair in the front section of your head, it has a natural wave pattern to it. However, in the second picture, where the backshot of your head is taken, your hair has more texture there than anywhere else. Therefore, your hair has more of a curly appearance to it in the back section than any other areas of your head. You actually appear to have a combination of curl patterns going on with your hair. But, I wouldn't put way too much focus on that. As, the main issue at hand is getting you set up with the right haircare products, and also teaching you how to properly care for your hair while using the products as well.

Leave a Comment

BoldItalicStrikethroughOrdered listUnordered list
Emoji
Align leftAlign centerAlign rightToggle HTML viewToggle full pageToggle lights
Drop image/file