Seriously? A Change.org petition to "brush your kid's hair"?!?!?!?!?

AngelaE8654AngelaE8654 Posts: 1,099Banned Users Curl Neophyte
[SIGPIC][/SIGPIC]

I'm definitely a "curly" 2c. Sometimes curly and sometimes just wavy upper layer with a ringlety under layer. My hair has been thick and coarse since birth. Strawberry blonde in color that can and does change depending on the type and amount of light.

All in all, I'm happy with my hair type but almost for sure think yours is prettier. :)

Comments

• curlicious13curlicious13 Posts: 1,632Registered Users Curl Neophyte
    I heard about that too. People act like blue ivy is their child. I just want to say " she's not yours. Take care of your own children."
  • AngelaE8654AngelaE8654 Posts: 1,099Banned Users Curl Neophyte
    I heard about that too. People act like blue ivy is their child. I just want to say " she's not yours. Take care of your own children."

I agree. And obviously, the "brush your hair" comments are coming from NON-curlies. They always seem to love telling curlies to "brush your hair" not realizing what that will actually make the hair look like. Mind your own business, people. :(
    [SIGPIC][/SIGPIC]

I'm definitely a "curly" 2c. Sometimes curly and sometimes just wavy upper layer with a ringlety under layer. My hair has been thick and coarse since birth. Strawberry blonde in color that can and does change depending on the type and amount of light.

All in all, I'm happy with my hair type but almost for sure think yours is prettier. :)
  • XhexaniaXhexania Posts: 65Registered Users
    Agreed. How does one know that her hair is "dry" and is "lacking moisture" anyway? Have you seen it up close and personal? Have you touched it? Honestly, it's no one's business. The most important things are that the child is fed, clothed, and loved. I don't give a flying fish about her hair.
    Fine Strands, High Density, (Seemingly) Normal Porosity
  • fihefihe Posts: 101Registered Users
    What? This is a first world problem if I've ever heard one.
    Check out my new blog:
    My Type 2 Hair
    Xhexania wrote: »
    Agreed. How does one know that her hair is "dry" and is "lacking moisture" anyway? Have you seen it up close and personal? Have you touched it? Honestly, it's no one's business. The most important things are that the child is fed, clothed, and loved. I don't give a flying fish about her hair.

I actually think they made that "lacking moisture" and "lint balls" stuff up to justify their stupid petition. Some "straighties" just LOVE telling "curlies" to brush their hair. I hope this kid never finds out about this petition as she doesn't need idiot things like this to ruin her self esteem. She's a beautiful little girl with beautiful hair.

The only way these people liked it was in a bun!! A bun. On a little girl. That's fine sometimes but if a little girl wears her hair severely pulled back all the time she could end up with Traction Alopecia. Someone demonstrated that beautifully in this "picture":

10369515_676172779120998_543280758_n.jpg
    [SIGPIC][/SIGPIC]

• sKorpio1190sKorpio1190 Posts: 1,862Registered Users Curl Neophyte

I actually think they made that "lacking moisture" and "lint balls" stuff up to justify their stupid petition. Some "straighties" just LOVE telling "curlies" to brush their hair. I hope this kid never finds out about this petition as she doesn't need idiot things like this to ruin her self esteem. She's a beautiful little girl with beautiful hair.

The only way these people liked it was in a bun!! A bun. On a little girl. That's fine sometimes but if a little girl wears her hair severely pulled back all the time she could end up with Traction Alopecia. Someone demonstrated that beautifully in this "picture":

Lmao I love that picture
    Medium texture, normal porosity, normal elasticity :shock:
  • BluebloodBlueblood Posts: 1,748Registered Users Curl Neophyte
    I look at change.org to see how you can get the petition taken down. Sorry I don't see how bullying a small child isn't harassment.

You have to complain to the petition organiser.

I strongly doubt the petition organiser will see that they are harassing a little kid who is not famous in her own right so isn't a public figure.

I forgot to add the actual named recipient of the petition is Blue Ivy herself not one of her parents.
  • adthomasadthomas Posts: 5,525Registered Users Curl Neophyte
    I don't like to see babies and toddlers with a million freaking barrettes pulling on very fine fragile hair. Some have more barrettes than they have hair. All that stress can lead to alopecia. If grown women are losing their edges imagine the effect on baby hair. Is that not why there is a soft baby brush? There is a product line I have seen in bss called Baby Don't Be Bald. What's wrong with being bald as a baby? Plenty of people are born bald. Most little kids have a hair color and texture change in the early years. My hair was wavy and now it is tight coils.

I personally see this as an attack on natural hair. It used to be natural hair is ugly but now it's acceptable but only with certain stipulations. So people criticize someone's decision on how they choose to wear it. Remember a similar thing happened with Solange and people not liking that she wasn't wearing what they consider an appropriate natural style. I think her being a CD spokesperson made it worse for her.. If someone wants to roll out of bed and wear their hair like that and they don't have a boss or parent who has a problem with it then what of it. The only thing I would be upset about is if the child wasn't fed and clean. I have seen babies who smell sour because their parents don't bathe them regularly.
    Yes, it's real. No, you can't touch it. :wav:
  • juanabjuanab Posts: 4,037Registered Users Curl Neophyte
    I belong to a few natural hair boards on FB. There are several naturals who believe that Blue Ivy's hair should be moisturized and have the knots or matted hair gone through with a comb. The author of the petition has natural hair. She now claiming it was meant to be a joke. I am not laughing. There is nothing funny about this at all. If it was about the parents, fine. But the child should be off limits. What is wrong with people?

texture - medium/fine, porosity - low/normal, elasticity - normal
    co-wash - NaturelleGrow Coconut Water or Marshmallow Root, Slippery Elm Bark & Blue Malva Cleansing Conditioners
    LI - KCKT mixed w/ SM C & H Curl & Style Milk
    DC - NG Mango & Coconut H2O or Chamomile/Brdck Root
    Gel - SM souffle (winter), KCCC (summer) or CR Naturals Aloe Whipped Butter Gel (year round)
    Sealers - Virgin Coconut Oil, Avocado butter, Aloe butter
    Ayurvedic treatments - Jamila Henna, Sukesh, Aloe Vera Powder, Hibiscus Powder

event.png
    juanab wrote: »
    I belong to a few natural hair boards on FB. There are several naturals who believe that Blue Ivy's hair should be moisturized and have the knots or matted hair gone through with a comb. The author of the petition has natural hair. She now claiming it was meant to be a joke. I am not laughing. There is nothing funny about this at all. If it was about the parents, fine. But the child should be off limits. What is wrong with people?

I am not sure how they can tell the Blue Ivy's hair needs moisture. I really can't. And as far as the "knots" or "mats" or what have you, those are photos. We can't see the actual hairs. Maybe they put small braids or twists or something in the hair. Perhaps those aren't dreads or mats or knots at all. It's also possible that Blue Ivy has a very sensitive head. My family is not African American but my sister had such a sensitive head when she was a kid that I could barely brush her hair at all. She has curly hair and that made it a bit more tangly than straight hair would be but it's possible that Blue Ivy's hair is even more tangly than my sister's was and her head is just as sensitive. If that's the case then perhaps Beyonce does brush/comb it when she can but doesn't want to do it all the time as that will cause a great deal of distress to the toddler. Remembrer, this child is still pretty much a baby. Parents need to "choose their battles" at this (and every other) age. I agree with the poster who said that the fact that the child is fed and clean is much more important than if her hair has tangles or knots or what have you.
    [SIGPIC][/SIGPIC]

adthomas wrote: »
    I don't like to see babies and toddlers with a million freaking barrettes pulling on very fine fragile hair. Some have more barrettes than they have hair. All that stress can lead to alopecia. If grown women are losing their edges imagine the effect on baby hair. Is that not why there is a soft baby brush? There is a product line I have seen in bss called Baby Don't Be Bald. What's wrong with being bald as a baby? Plenty of people are born bald. Most little kids have a hair color and texture change in the early years. My hair was wavy and now it is tight coils.

I personally see this as an attack on natural hair. It used to be natural hair is ugly but now it's acceptable but only with certain stipulations. So people criticize someone's decision on how they choose to wear it. Remember a similar thing happened with Solange and people not liking that she wasn't wearing what they consider an appropriate natural style. I think her being a CD spokesperson made it worse for her.. If someone wants to roll out of bed and wear their hair like that and they don't have a boss or parent who has a problem with it then what of it. The only thing I would be upset about is if the child wasn't fed and clean. I have seen babies who smell sour because their parents don't bathe them regularly.

I see it the same way you do. I think it's an attack on natural hair (which I personally think is some of the most beautiful on the planet). Nothing more. "Moisture" my butt. No one can tell that from these pictures of this child.

Also, if the author of this petition has natural hair, then she knows that curlies can't just "brush their hair" the way people with straight hair can. That sort of thing gets tiresome after a while. People either need to learn what's what or they need to keep quiet and not say anything.
    [SIGPIC][/SIGPIC]

• juanabjuanab Posts: 4,037Registered Users Curl Neophyte
    Does everyone now understand why Halle Berry, Salma Hayek, Julia Roberts and other celebrities want their children to be off limits when it comes to paparazzi? People these days have no boundaries. The author of the petition doesn't know them, nor the child. The child isn't being abused that we have any knowledge of and looks well nourished. I can't imagine that the author would walk up to a mother on the street or in a grocery store and say this mess.

texture - medium/fine, porosity - low/normal, elasticity - normal
    co-wash - NaturelleGrow Coconut Water or Marshmallow Root, Slippery Elm Bark & Blue Malva Cleansing Conditioners
    LI - KCKT mixed w/ SM C & H Curl & Style Milk
    DC - NG Mango & Coconut H2O or Chamomile/Brdck Root
    Gel - SM souffle (winter), KCCC (summer) or CR Naturals Aloe Whipped Butter Gel (year round)
    Sealers - Virgin Coconut Oil, Avocado butter, Aloe butter
    Ayurvedic treatments - Jamila Henna, Sukesh, Aloe Vera Powder, Hibiscus Powder

event.png
    P.S. I'm sure you all remember how it felt as a child when you wore ponytails and such all day and then they got taken out in the evening and how sore your head would be afterward? (It did for me as a kid; it doesn't seem to feel the same now, probably because I don't wear my ponies as tight as my mom made them.) These "petition people" seem to want Blue Ivy to have a bun every day; can you imagine how that would feel to a baby every day? *I* sure wouldn't do that to my child. I'm not sure that's any better than simply letting the kid have her hair "natural" at times.
    [SIGPIC][/SIGPIC]

• BluebloodBlueblood Posts: 1,748Registered Users Curl Neophyte
    juanab wrote: »
    Does everyone now understand why Halle Berry, Salma Hayek, Julia Roberts and other celebrities want their children to be off limits when it comes to paparazzi? People these days have no boundaries. The author of the petition doesn't know them, nor the child. The child isn't being abused that we have any knowledge of and looks well nourished. I can't imagine that the author would walk up to a mother on the street or in a grocery store and say this mess.
    But the author probably would.

Some Black women do you know unless there is a man or someone else who will tell them where to go.

They don't realise that a kid is not an adult.
  • WumiWumi Posts: 185Registered Users

When I see this, I just... I just... I don't even... And then... Here you go! :occasion5:
    [SIGPIC][/SIGPIC]

No heat since August 2015 :)
    This whole matter is even more shameful after I consider the fact that a woman with natural hair ventured to create this petition. Things like these always cause me to reflect on the fact that the worst criticism of my hair always comes from people who have hair similar to mine, and the best compliments from those who have much looser textures.
  • CurlyShorty3405CurlyShorty3405 Posts: 196Registered Users
    http://www.toyazworldblog.net/2014/06/snapshots-beyonce-finally-combs-blue.html?m=1

Apparently Jay and Beyonce were made aware of the petition. This whole thing is just disgusting and disturbing. She's a two year old child, with gorgeous hair, why can't she be left alone?
    2B-2C Density-Medium/High Width-medium Length-Medium

LoPoo: Onesta Hydrating Shampoo
    CoWash: LP Curl Conditioning Wash
    ROs: Onesta Hydrating Conditioner, LP Curl Detangling Rinse
    Weekly DC: LP Restore Mask Treatment
    Leave in: LP Restore Targeted Repair Cream
    Stylers: (in application order): LP Prime Style Extender Cream, LI, LP Curl Defining Style Cream, LP No Frizz Weightless Styling Spray, LP PHD Night Cap
    Sealer: Body Shop Olive Oil/Body Shop Argan Oil/Josie Maran Argan Oil
    I'm kind of disappointed. I really wanted them to stick to their guns, though I admittedly wouldn't understand anything about the amount of pressure that they were under.
    I'm kind of disappointed. I really wanted them to stick to their guns, though I admittedly wouldn't understand anything about the amount of pressure that they were under.

Me too. Not to mention, tying your kid's hair up severely like that every day can't be fun for the kid as her head is most likely very sore after it's taken out. Just because someone made a petition to "brush your kid's hair". :(
    [SIGPIC][/SIGPIC]

• GuylumBardotGuylumBardot Posts: 4Registered Users
    Woooow, that's pretty messed-up. Natural hair is beautiful, and Blue Ivy has a great head of it. I'm digging Beyonce's natural style, too.
    25, hair type 2C, low-poo, trying to grow hair out after dyeing for years.

2qlg9hx.jpg

Leave a Comment

BoldItalicStrikethroughOrdered listUnordered list
Emoji
Align leftAlign centerAlign rightToggle HTML viewToggle full pageToggle lights
Drop image/file