Shea butter texture?

iulianamindruiulianamindru Posts: 2Registered Users
So, first time I bough shea butter I loved it. It had a nutty smell and a yellowish color and it spread like a cream. It also did wonders for my hair. After I finished it, I bought another which was totally different...it was 100%raw(or so it said), but it didn't smell, it was white and had a weird crumbly texture. It remained in my hair like dandruff if not melted properly. I bough another one from a different brand and it was exactly the same...I'm pretty bummed right now because I don't really understand what's going on? How is the real shea texture supposed to be? :) Thanks!

Comments

• BelleBohemienneBelleBohemienne Posts: 375Registered Users Curl Neophyte
    Was the first one the edible type? Some Shea butter products process it in order to use it in conjunction with other ingredients to make lotions and whatever else. But that first product you have sounds like it could have been used for cooking.
    ~Belle Bohemienne

"If you are depressed you are living in the past. If you are anxious you are living in the future. If you are at peace you are living in the present." -Lao Tzu
  • 2AonaGoodDay2AonaGoodDay Posts: 20Registered Users
    When I get shea butter that's that texture, I heat it up on the stove, and while it's cooling I use an immersion blender to whip it so it's fluffier. (Sometimes I add a little bit of coconut oil, too.) Try that and see if it works out for you better.
    Hair type: 2a (obv), fine, porous. Not really wavy, definitely not straight. Chin length. About 50% gray, so I color monthly.

Lopoo/Shampoo:
    *Deva No-Poo *Shea Moisture Retention (kinda heavy though) * Yes to Carrots

Conditioners:
    *Natures Gate herbal * Suave Coconut * GVP cond balm * Shea Moisture
    When I get shea butter that's that texture, I heat it up on the stove, and while it's cooling I use an immersion blender to whip it so it's fluffier. (Sometimes I add a little bit of coconut oil, too.) Try that and see if it works out for you better.

That sounds so nourishing! I tried coconut oil in my hair which I heard was good for fine hair, but I spend so much time and use such shampoo to get it all out that I think I'm washing out all the moisture my hair just soaked up.
    ~Belle Bohemienne

"If you are depressed you are living in the past. If you are anxious you are living in the future. If you are at peace you are living in the present." -Lao Tzu
  • WeathercurlWeathercurl Posts: 228Registered Users

That sounds so nourishing! I tried coconut oil in my hair which I heard was good for fine hair, but I spend so much time and use such shampoo to get it all out that I think I'm washing out all the moisture my hair just soaked up.
    Belle - I felt the same way when i tried to shampoo out coconut oil. i did some reading and many people had good luck co washing rather than shampooing. I was worried that would leave me really greasy but I tried it and it works well. The first time i cowashed, then used a tiny bit of low poo but now i don't even bother with the low poo. I let some condish sit on my hair for a few min and work it through before i get in the shower, then wash as usual and it gets all the oil out. And no stripping my hair. (I love coconut oil but can not use shea butter at all.)
    2b/2c ( weather permitting - 3a), fine texture but lots of it, colored and highlights, BSL.
    Experimenting w CG since Oct 2012

Current rotation:
    cowash= TN
    AG Gel Mousse, LA Gel,
    DT = Coconut oil (love)

Belle - I felt the same way when i tried to shampoo out coconut oil. i did some reading and many people had good luck co washing rather than shampooing. I was worried that would leave me really greasy but I tried it and it works well. The first time i cowashed, then used a tiny bit of low poo but now i don't even bother with the low poo. I let some condish sit on my hair for a few min and work it through before i get in the shower, then wash as usual and it gets all the oil out. And no stripping my hair. (I love coconut oil but can not use shea butter at all.)

I was worried about it being too greasy and weighing down my hair too. So all you did was apply conditioner before showering and it all rinsed out? That almost seems counterproductive!
    ~Belle Bohemienne

Don't mean to hijack the Shea texture question - sorry iulian! But to answer Belle - I do an overnight soak of coconut oil on dry hair. When ready to remove, I coat my hair with Suave Coconut condish and let it sit 10 min, then sort of scrub it through, get in shower and scrub through with water. I rinse, then do a second cowash with Suave's Clarifying condish and rinse completely. That's it. It comes right out. There are some threads here and there about removing oils with conditioners rather than shampoos that explain the chemistry, for lack of a better word, so I'll leave it at that.
    2b/2c ( weather permitting - 3a), fine texture but lots of it, colored and highlights, BSL.

Current rotation:
    cowash= TN
    AG Gel Mousse, LA Gel,
    DT = Coconut oil (love)
  • BluebloodBlueblood Posts: 1,748Registered Users Curl Neophyte
    @BelleBohemienne you are suppose to use a sulphate shampoo to wash out coconut oil if you want to remove it 100% but as a curly you want to leave some of the oil on your hair.

So as long as you don't put too much on then overnight some will penetrate into the hair strands and co-washing will remove about 80-90% of the residue.

There are a couple of blog posts from JC of the natural haven which I will try and link to later. The first is how to apply the right amount of oil and the second is on co-washing.
  • BotticelliBritBotticelliBrit Posts: 2,075Registered Users Curl Neophyte
    Blueblood wrote: »
    @BelleBohemienne you are suppose to use a sulphate shampoo to wash out coconut oil if you want to remove it 100% but as a curly you want to leave some of the oil on your hair

I don't know about that. My low-poo seems to wash it all out just fine!
    3B. Med porosity. Med thickness. Med density.

LP: Shea Moisture (currently JBCO)
    Conditioner/CW: Jason Aloe Vera

LI: Aunt Jackie's Curls & Coils Quench
    Refreshing: TRESemmé Naturals Aloe Vera & Avocado
    Gel: DevaCurl Ultra Defining Gel
    DC:
    Aunt Jackie's Soft & Sassy Super Duper Softening Conditioner
    Treatments: Coconut oil/Coconut milk

UK curly. CG since Oct 2013.
    Growing my hair to WL when dry :thumright:
  • BluebloodBlueblood Posts: 1,748Registered Users Curl Neophyte
    Blueblood wrote: »
    @BelleBohemienne you are suppose to use a sulphate shampoo to wash out coconut oil if you want to remove it 100% but as a curly you want to leave some of the oil on your hair

I don't know about that. My low-poo seems to wash it all out just fine!
    All the research uses sulphate containing shampoos to wash it out.

I've used both conditioner alone and a low-poo to wash it out fine. If you use a sulphate shampoo it will remove all oils so it seems pointless to do it then use one.
    Maybe I should pick up some coconut oil and try both ways. I usually only left the oil in for a few hours, but at be leaving it in over night then washing out with shampoo in the morning would be better.
    ~Belle Bohemienne

• wavypenwavypen Posts: 253Registered Users Curl Neophyte
    I actually found that cowash removes excess coconut oil better than low poo, I haven't tried to remove co with sulfate shampoo and I've always left it in overnight.
    wavypen wrote: »
    I actually found that cowash removes excess coconut oil better than low poo, I haven't tried to remove co with sulfate shampoo and I've always left it in overnight.

Me too. I tried shampoo the first time and it was a mess. But it seems to melt right out when I co wash.

Current rotation:
    cowash= TN
    AG Gel Mousse, LA Gel,
    DT = Coconut oil (love)

Leave a Comment

BoldItalicStrikethroughOrdered listUnordered list
Emoji
Align leftAlign centerAlign rightToggle HTML viewToggle full pageToggle lights
Drop image/file