Bantu knots and 2C hair?

TwistySisterTwistySister Posts: 8Registered Users
Has anyone tried bantu knots for 2C hair? I am transitioning my hair from years of flat irons, blow dryers and blond highlights. I think I have 2C sometimes 3A hair.

I have a lot of hair - very thick - wavy and curly. I can't seem to get second day hair, so I thought I would explore cleansing before bed and try bantu knots.

Thoughts? Thanks.
2c/3a - very thick and coarse

As-I-Am Coconut Cowash Conditioner
Shea Moisture Restorative Conditioner - as a RO and LI
Shea Moisture Deep Masque -as a DC
LA Looks Sports Gel

Comments

• lolo918lolo918 Posts: 729Registered Users Curl Neophyte
    There is a pinterest post I saw on a friends board a long while ago that showed bantu knots on a little girls naturally straight hair. You just may have to secure the ends of your hair with bobby pins or hair ties on each buns.

Sent from my SCH-I200 using CurlTalk App
    3C/4A, fine texture, low-medium density, and low porosity
    CG since November 2013.

Pre-Poo: infrequent now, Coconut Oil overnight
    Shampoo: Curls unleashed/for occasional sulfate wash when needed, everlasting sunshine.
    Conditioner: Suave Naturals Everlasting Sunshine and GVP's conditioning balm.
    Styler: iagirl's flaxseed curl cream or gelatin gel/conditioner mix. <3
    PT: iagirl's gelatin treatment 3-4 times a month, with conditioner/honey/avj
  • TwistySisterTwistySister Posts: 8Registered Users
    MAJOR fail! I looked like I stuck my finger in a light socket! It's back to co-washing in the morning, styling, diffusing and no second day hair for me :sad7:
    2c/3a - very thick and coarse

As-I-Am Coconut Cowash Conditioner
    Shea Moisture Restorative Conditioner - as a RO and LI
    Shea Moisture Deep Masque -as a DC
    LA Looks Sports Gel
  • JimipeJimipe Posts: 276Registered Users
    I have 2C hair as well and they work well on me, I do however need to make sure to do some things:

* Make the bantu knots big enough. I have super-thick hair and I still only make like 10 of them to get curls of the same size as I naturally have. If you have thinner hair you might just be able to do 4 at most to get a decent curl size.

* Don't overly manipulate the hair before making them. Damp it slightly so that it will be fully dry when you take them out. Don't disturb the clumping you have, you need that to stay once you take them out.

* Secure with a bobby pin or a hair tie. Bobby pins would never work on me, but hair ties does.

* When you take them out, be careful. I first let them down and then just let them be, they will then naturally after a while start clumping back. Then carefully separate them into curls. No brushing, no combing, just carefully separate them.

Styling products you need to figure out based on what you need. I usually do it on 4th or 5th day hair, and then I already have gel in but I need to ad a bit more conditioner on the ends of the hair.
    CG since 8th of September 2013 - learning in progress!

3a/m/iii - waist length wet
    Cleanser: Naturelle Volumizing
    Conditioner/LI: Garnier Respons Avocadooil and Shea Butter, Schwarzkopf Gliss Ultimate Volume Conditioner
    Styling: Eldorado Hairgel Strong
  • KaZenner1990KaZenner1990 Posts: 859Registered Users
    I have yet to break bantu knots but I tried flexi rods. Omg what curls did those produce. But my hair has that ropier style so they look like my normal curls but better. I have yet to make them last though. Also I did them on 3-4th day hair but I used at least 20 0.47 inch ones (I even needed more but I didn't had). The sections weren't that big or that small but my hair is also coarse.

{Stats for mobiles}
    M/C, High Porosity,Normal Elast. 2c/3a Boticelli/Corkicelli
    2C/3A Botticelli/Corkicelli.Growing out color/heat damage
    M/C, Low/Medium/High Por, Normal Elast. Medium Density
    LP: INSIGHT DAMAGED HAIR Restructurizing Shampoo
    CO: Generic protein conditioner, Hair Academy Deep Cleansing CO
    DET/RO/LI: GNC Avocado And Shea Butter Conditioner +/mask,
    Styler: Schwarzkopf Taft Fixing GelWellaflex Instant Volume Boost Mousse
    DT: EVOO, C.O
    HG
    Goal: WL when curly
    CG since Feb 2014
  • lolo918lolo918 Posts: 729Registered Users Curl Neophyte
    I agree with Jimipe- it can take practice. I haven't tried my whole head in awhile- when I did my whole head I made my knots too small and I didn't use the right products for my hair. The larger your sections the loopier your curls- I also haven't tried in awhile because I wanted my hair to be longer when I tried.

I also want to try the flexirods that Kazenner mentioned. I just don't want to buy more hair things that I will rarely use! Lols, I already have perm rods, magnetic rollers, and hot rollers that I rarely use.

Maybe try rag curls or pin curls? Here is a link for a tutorial that I really liked for rag curls from one of my favorite bloggers: Science-y Hair Blog: Rag Curls, My Version

This link shows doing two large pin curls from the same blog. For curlier curls you could just do smaller sections all over or somewhere in between: Science-y Hair Blog: Not-Thick Hairstyle: Double Pin Curl Swirls She uses bobby pins- I use those little double pronged roller clips so that they pin curls lay flat. I also have to be careful with tucking the ends of my pin curls inside the loops- but I do free form pin curls using my fingers to guide them into place.
    3C/4A, fine texture, low-medium density, and low porosity
    CG since November 2013.

Pre-Poo: infrequent now, Coconut Oil overnight
    Shampoo: Curls unleashed/for occasional sulfate wash when needed, everlasting sunshine.
    Conditioner: Suave Naturals Everlasting Sunshine and GVP's conditioning balm.
    Styler: iagirl's flaxseed curl cream or gelatin gel/conditioner mix. <3
    PT: iagirl's gelatin treatment 3-4 times a month, with conditioner/honey/avj
  • JimipeJimipe Posts: 276Registered Users
    The pro of bantu knots for me is that it does not take a long time to do them, so while they do take time to dry, that can be done while I'm asleep or do other things and I do not need to spend much time on it. I have however issues getting second- and third day hair on it: Second day can be doable if I re-wet my hair partially by smoothing and scrunching with really wet hands, but it does not look amazing.

If i have more time I like to do pincurls I usually use smaller sized plastic claw clamps as bobby pins would not just be able to make it. Pin curls can for me last up to 6 days, just as good as when I style my hair "as it is". They also dry faster and it is less of a mess if I have to remove them slightly too early, then the curls will just be more stretched.
    CG since 8th of September 2013 - learning in progress!

3a/m/iii - waist length wet
    Cleanser: Naturelle Volumizing
    Conditioner/LI: Garnier Respons Avocadooil and Shea Butter, Schwarzkopf Gliss Ultimate Volume Conditioner
    Styling: Eldorado Hairgel Strong

Leave a Comment

BoldItalicStrikethroughOrdered listUnordered list
Emoji
Align leftAlign centerAlign rightToggle HTML viewToggle full pageToggle lights
Drop image/file