Maintaining Short Curly Hair

suebaby21suebaby21 Posts: 15Registered Users
I recently cut all my hair off.. now its pixie short and I was wondering if anyone knows any good products that works like gel or mousse (without all those parabens or alcohol because it tends to strip and dry out my hair). I want to achieve that wet look and hold that mousse and gel brings but not with all those harmful chemicals!

Help!!! :(

Thanks in advance! :)

Comments

• suebaby21suebaby21 Posts: 15Registered Users
    Here's Picture of the cut. :)
  • geekrockgirl85geekrockgirl85 Posts: 170Registered Users
    I've seen a lot of gals extol the virtues of Flax Seed Gel throughout these forums.. from what I understand you can make it yourself and doctor it as much or as little as you like. Science-y Hair Blog: What's Cookin' This Week (for hair): Homemade flax seed gel

I haven't tried it yet myself and can't speak for the level of hold, though. Hope you get some more ideas and figure out what works!

Also, the cut is super-cute! :)
    2c. present color& past heat damage, fine, low-density, high porosity, happy with some protein. re-CG as of 5/2014. Wash:V05 PFS or KLS, RO: (trying to use up my stash; so it's always different!), LI: Cure Care, DT: SM Smooth & Repair Hair Masque, Style: Ecostyler Olive Oil / La Bella Lots of Curls gel
  • lolo918lolo918 Posts: 729Registered Users Curl Neophyte
    It is a cute cut! I absolutely adore my flaxseed gel. I mix it together like the curl cream recipe given in the same blog that geekrockgirl posted. IN the winter I was able to use honey but the past few days I've been adding aloe vera gel instead. I've also been spraying it on to apply, and adding water/aloe vera juice to the mix. The aloe additions don't give me as wet of a look as the honey, but the honey in higher humidity + heat was giving me crunch that I couldn't scrunch out.

You may also want to look at this thread, the CG Friendly Product list: http://www.naturallycurly.com/curltalk/general-discussion-about-curly-hair/147483-cg-friendly-product-list.html Also look into the CG method if you're not already a cg girl- the basic premise is to avoid harsh ingredients but the ones you'll see most often are silicones and sulfates.
    3C/4A, fine texture, low-medium density, and low porosity
    CG since November 2013.

Pre-Poo: infrequent now, Coconut Oil overnight
    Shampoo: Curls unleashed/for occasional sulfate wash when needed, everlasting sunshine.
    Conditioner: Suave Naturals Everlasting Sunshine and GVP's conditioning balm.
    Styler: iagirl's flaxseed curl cream or gelatin gel/conditioner mix. <3
    PT: iagirl's gelatin treatment 3-4 times a month, with conditioner/honey/avj
  • ReservechicReservechic Posts: 798Registered Users
    I absolutely adore your curls as well as your haircut. I would recommend trying flaxseed gel. There are number of vendors that sell such. One vendor that I like and have purchased from is NaturallyAmari. This line is offered on etsy.com. This vendor offers all natural products with ayurvedic ingredients infused into her products. Instead of buying it pre-made, you are certainly welcome to try recipes here on how to make flaxseed gel at home.

If the flaxseed gel doesn't work out for you, then I would surely recommend checking out the gels offered in Curlmart. As they offer a lot of gel options to choose from designed to suit one 's individual curl needs.
    Diagnosed with Scalp Eczema 6/2015
    (Don't hair type/loose curl pattern/fine texture/low density/high porosity

Current Regimen (Ayurvedic Based):
    Cleansers- Bobeam Shampoo Bars
    Stylers-Rotate between Camille Rose Naturals Almond Jai Twisting Butter and Camille Rose Naturals Aloe Whipped Butter Gel

I only wear my hair in wash n gos or buns. Also,
    I do not use conditioner on my hair on a weekly basis. And, my hair is A ok with that!
  • DaniGirl88DaniGirl88 Posts: 1,583Registered Users Curl Neophyte
    I just wanted to say that your hair is gorgeous and your are rockin' that cut! Love it!
    [SIGPIC][/SIGPIC]

3B, fine, normal porosity, high density, medium width and length
    Conditioner: Tresemme Naturals, Trader Joe's Tea Tree Tingle
    Co-Wash: As I Am Coconut Co-Wash
    Leave in Products: As I Am Leave-In, SM Smoothie/Milk, KCKT, Giovanni Direct Leave-In
    Air Dry

Looking for new products and methods to try!

@geekrockgirl85 Ive actually never even heard of Flax Seed Gel.. lol but I am definitely going to try it out! I'll wait on trying to make it though! lol If I like it.. that will definitely be my next project!

Thanks for your help! :)
    DaniGirl88 wrote: »
    I just wanted to say that your hair is gorgeous and your are rockin' that cut! Love it!

thank you so kindly! Your curls are amazing!:)
    lolo918 wrote: »
    It is a cute cut! I absolutely adore my flaxseed gel. I mix it together like the curl cream recipe given in the same blog that geekrockgirl posted. IN the winter I was able to use honey but the past few days I've been adding aloe vera gel instead. I've also been spraying it on to apply, and adding water/aloe vera juice to the mix. The aloe additions don't give me as wet of a look as the honey, but the honey in higher humidity + heat was giving me crunch that I couldn't scrunch out.

You may also want to look at this thread, the CG Friendly Product list: http://www.naturallycurly.com/curltalk/general-discussion-about-curly-hair/147483-cg-friendly-product-list.html Also look into the CG method if you're not already a cg girl- the basic premise is to avoid harsh ingredients but the ones you'll see most often are silicones and sulfates.

Thanks :) I definitely couldn't do the honey because it stays humid here in Texas and I love to scrunch! lol
    And thanks for providing the link.. I will definitely check it out but definitely going to try the flaxseed gel since that seems like the popular suggestion here.
    I absolutely adore your curls as well as your haircut. I would recommend trying flaxseed gel. There are number of vendors that sell such. One vendor that I like and have purchased from is NaturallyAmari. This line is offered on etsy.com. This vendor offers all natural products with ayurvedic ingredients infused into her products. Instead of buying it pre-made, you are certainly welcome to try recipes here on how to make flaxseed gel at home.

If the flaxseed gel doesn't work out for you, then I would surely recommend checking out the gels offered in Curlmart. As they offer a lot of gel options to choose from designed to suit one 's individual curl needs.

I will check that vendor out because I'm sure I won't be able to find it in any stores around me (I seriously struggle just to find my Shea Moisture products here! lol) and thanks.. I actually was a little indecisive about cutting it because wasn't sure how it was going to turn out.. (lets just say I've had more than a few bad experiences with people cutting my curly hair! lol) but it actually turned out great and I really love it! Especially now since it doesn't take me hours to maintain and to wait for my hair to air dry! lol
  • BeinDebBeinDeb Posts: 583Registered Users Curl Connoisseur
    For sure, try the flax seed gel. I live in TX also, and it works great for me. I noticed you said you used SM products? If you find you need more hold, try using a tiny bit of the gel souffle over the FSG. I've found that works very well in our constant high dews.
    BeinDeb wrote: »
    For sure, try the flax seed gel. I live in TX also, and it works great for me. I noticed you said you used SM products? If you find you need more hold, try using a tiny bit of the gel souffle over the FSG. I've found that works very well in our constant high dews.

Yes I do use SM products! I absolutely love them! I must admit though.. I don't really use the "curling souffle" because it makes my hair real slick and greasy like. :/ I may have to try it again with the gel like you suggested though.. knowing me I may have used too much! lol
  • curlicious13curlicious13 Posts: 1,632Registered Users Curl Neophyte
    I live in TX as well and I love some Shea moisture products but I REALLY love la looks wet look gel.

Leave a Comment

BoldItalicStrikethroughOrdered listUnordered list
Emoji
Align leftAlign centerAlign rightToggle HTML viewToggle full pageToggle lights
Drop image/file