Mixed hair types .. Ringlets to wavy to straight!

MomtotwoMomtotwo Posts: 5Registered Users
Hi there girls .. I've been reading up for the last month about curly girl n natural curl care n methods ... But I'm not a "normal" case .. I'm a natural red head ..36.. N been straightening my hair for ever with different permanent straightening methods or just flat ironing ... I got a TERRIBLE hair cut last winter ... a mullet .. (My last three hair cuts have turned out this way in an attempt at layers to help my curl situation out NO LUCK) so I took the bad hair cut as an opportunity n committed to the natural healthy hair thing n chopped all my damaged hair... WHICH WAS TO MY MID BACK ... to my chin n started fresh n natural all one length ... My hair is now a couple of inches past my shoulders .. I take 10000 biotin daily along w other supplements but that one is for my hair along w folic acid n e ... My hair has grown very quickly

I'll post pics tomorrow I only have one of my hair I my iPad before I cut it when I was wearing it straight .... but my hair is spiral tight ringlets on the bottom layer esp below / behind my ears ... Waves n looses curls above that layer and a handful of straight pieces and some w barely any wave on my crown :(

It's been like this all my life ... I've never had a full head of curls ... It's terrible and looks really dreadful if I don't do anything with it ... So I pony tail or clip back the top bit daily

I'm trying to make friends w my hair n treat it right ...I've been using the Shea Moisture products for awhile now with no real result ... My hair isn't frizzy etc it's pretty healthy but it's so flat on top! I wish it would at least be all wavy so it would blend in n I could wear it down some times

So I don't know if I should no poo or what ? I've tried no poo the last month and used Biolage Conditioner n the Shea products but no real curl help... When my hair is wet my top seems curly to at least very very wavy but it dries straight n weak waves

I am not using a towel to dry and I scrunch the curl smoothie or curl milk or sometimes 12 benefits into my hair upside down and don't touch it brush it etc I bought Paul Mitchell Curls Twirl Around tonight ... The girl at the salon suggested it ? I was looking for a mouse but she said they made hair crunchy?

I'm really lost n have been fighting my hair all my life ... N I'm really really trying here but with having such a mix of hair types on my head it's hard to know what to do

Any threads for girls in my similar situation? Any hope? Or should I just go for a pixie cut n b done w daily hair stress lol

Thank you!
Gail

Comments

• MomtotwoMomtotwo Posts: 5Registered Users
    no makeup lol just out of shower n bad ipad pics but here is my hair today
  • BluebloodBlueblood Posts: 1,748Registered Users Curl Neophyte
    Lots of curlies and waves use hair stylers on wet hair that make hair crunchy when dry. This is normally a gel but can be a mousse. The reason is without heavier stylers the curls and waves fall/disappear/turn to frizz when hair is dry.

I would try a mousse to see if it works for you. If it doesn't then try a gel. Curl creams tend not to be heavy enough for some people especially in warmer weather.

There is no need to try the no poo methods if all that is happening is that your stylers aren't strong enough to keep your hair curly and wavy when it dries.

Also unless you are deficient then the supplements you are taking are being excreted in your urine. Your body can only use so many B vitamins.

Finally very few hair stylists know how to deal with hair that isn't styled straight. So I would aim to find one who can cut your hair without screwing it up as you can always style it yourself later. However this does mean you have to make sure you can go home after every hair cut to sort your hair out.
  • clodyaclodya Posts: 10Registered Users
    Yes, go no-poo. Shampoo is a big cause of frizz. Better to use bar shampoo if your hair gets greasy. Is your hair fine? From what I understand, you need a conditioner with protein to help you. As for styling product, homemade flaxseed gel is a freakin gift from heaven, works great at defining my curls. My hair is a different texture than yours but like you, I have a variety of waves and curls.

My pix is the only one I had, selfie taken late at night took my hair out of the pineapple for it...
  • clodyaclodya Posts: 10Registered Users
    Another thing is maybe you can shake out you hair when it's wet, that often helps the curls find their families.
  • CurlyInParadiseCurlyInParadise Posts: 137Registered Users
    Have you read the Curly Girl book by Lorraine Massey? If not, that will help you a lot. But in your latest iPad pics, I think your hair looks great. Maybe you have a preconceived pic in your mind of what curls you desire and you don't see that. Learn to appreciate what you have and then learn to work with it to its best advantage. First hand knowledge here, I just wanted some silver streaks to grow in and I am getting a grow out of solid silver.

After a period of time working with the curly girl method tho, your hair may curl more but again, your wavy red hair is beautiful.
    [SIGPIC][/SIGPIC]______
    3a, med porous, low density
    Poo: Have to admit I have recently become a Wen convert. Love it. I have always had problems with my hair "hanging" right, curling uniformly and destorting the perimeter line. Wen makes it hang evenly.
  • Morgan_AdcockMorgan_Adcock Posts: 2,573Registered Users Curl Neophyte
    It's not at all unusual to have a mixed curl pattern. My hair is extremely curly in the center of my crown, and least curly at the edges of my scalp.

I'd strongly recommend getting a copy of Curly Girl: The Handbook (also available here). You can pick up a lot of the techniques here, but it's often incomplete, mixed in with misinformation, and in dribbles and drabs.

I'm not sure that I would recommend your "going no-poo," as wavy hair often responds best to using (silicone free) non-sulfate shampoos, as opposed to washing with a silicone free conditioner, though I personally find that VO5 Kiwi-Lime Conditioner seems to clean my hair and scalp as well as a low-poo. I don't recommend using soap, which is what shampoo bars are, as this is also damaging.
    Peace,
    Morgan

Baby Fine 3B, low porosity, normal density and elasticity
    CGing since July 2008
  • BeinDebBeinDeb Posts: 583Registered Users Curl Connoisseur
    Plusses to the "Curly Girl" book. It will give you a whole new understanding to your hair, as well as a foundation to build on. I would also encourage you to understand that this is a journey. Our hair may have been on our heads all of our Life, but once you get into all of this, you will begin to see that you didn't "know" it at all!! (I'm 55, just started in Feb, and still feel like someone else's hair is on my head!) Rather than taming, you actually learn to work with, care for your hair, and ultimately Love it!
    P.S...hang onto those pics if you decide to embrace CG. You're going to be amazed at the changes!
  • ReservechicReservechic Posts: 798Registered Users
    Welcome!:mrgreen:

First off, it is best that you avoid any products that will weigh your hair down. As, your hair is of fine texture. Some areas of your hair are of Type 1 while there are other areas that are of the Type 2. When it comes to trying new products always make sure to see how well or not your hair responds to it and for you to pay special attention to what ingredients your hair likes or does not.

Also don't allow for yourself to become to overwhelmed by trying a whole lot of things at once. Getting Lorraine Massey's Curly Girl book would be great to do. As it offers a wealth of information, especially on all that the "CG" method entails.

I would definitely stay away from using Shea Moisture Curl Enhancing Smoothie and their Curl and style Milk. As they contain shea butter and lots of oils that are too heavy for your fine textured hair. Also, I have never tried the Paul Mitchell product that the stylist recommended. So I don't exactly what ingredients are in or not. Is this product something you feel that you really like so far or not? In the pictures that you posted I don't think that your hair looks really bad at all. However, I get the understanding that you feel that your hair should look better than what you see in the mirror. That's totally ok. All of us curlies have gone through having the same thing at one time or another.

I would certainly recommend using a sulfate free cleanser to cleanse your hair with. And, then following that up with a mineral oil free conditioner. I would try to avoid using productd with silicones in them as well. If a conditioner leaves your hair greasy, limp, or weighed down then that means that it is too heavy for your hair. You will know when you have found the right one as it will add softness and moisture to your curls without leaving them with a weighed down feeling.

The products you use in your hair should have curl defining properties in it. And, it should also leave your waves bouncy and frizz free. And, I recommend using a detangling comb with teeth that is widely spaced to use to detangle your hair with only. Never a brush.

Curlmart is a great place to shop for haircare products. They offer products for all curl types. Feel free to check out the products they have to offer at any time.

I wish you all the best with your hair.
    Diagnosed with Scalp Eczema 6/2015
    (Don't hair type/loose curl pattern/fine texture/low density/high porosity

Current Regimen (Ayurvedic Based):
    Cleansers- Bobeam Shampoo Bars
    Stylers-Rotate between Camille Rose Naturals Almond Jai Twisting Butter and Camille Rose Naturals Aloe Whipped Butter Gel

I only wear my hair in wash n gos or buns. Also,
    I do not use conditioner on my hair on a weekly basis. And, my hair is A ok with that!
    I read more on the cg method last night and I plopped this morning and used the Paul Mitchell Curls twirl around and oh - my - gosh ! my top layer was curlier than it has ever been! so I'm def on the right track :)

I am sulfate free using the Shea Moisture line right now and have for about 6 months now

I have the moisture shampoo and conditioner as well as their curl milk and the smoothie ... I bought their flax gel tonight

I have mainly been using only Biolage conditioner the last 30 days tho I gave it a try since other curly posts had suggested it ... and wasnt getting any real results with my curls w the Shea line ... I have shampooed my hair once a week .. sometimes twice if its greasy ... trying to find my right balance and right mix of products ... I never brush my hair and only have a wide tooth comb I use sometimes ... I generally use my fingers and avoid anything at all if I can

I hear you about my fine hair and using heavy products ... I do have more fine hair and less hair ... redheads do have the least hair ... I have never used any mouse gel or anything its all new to me bcz Ive always worn my hair straight and used heavy conditioners bcz straightening was so harsh and drying to my poor hair :(
    I have always leaned toward natural products ... also about taking too much b vitamins I know my body will just get rid of what I dont need but the biotin has grown my hair almost 4 inches in two months! I took a starter pic w my hair flat ironed the first week of April when I started and my hair has grown grown grown ! I need to flat iron it to see growth now but I just hate too :/ I havent used a flat iron in a couple of months now and before that it had been a couple of months ... I just feel like its bad for my hair but its a great way to mark the growth lol

and I wont lie ... its a little overwhelming bcz different ppl suggest different products and I don't even really know my hair type lol and I'm mixed textures or how ever you call it

The pics I posted aren't great but at least you can see how straight my canopy is :( it was A LOT better today so so curly almost all over except 10% rather than my usual 25-30 % but it did have a bit of a wet look

I'll try and use less product and try and use the gel tomorrow and see how that affects it ... I feel confident that if I can figure out the right either no poo or occasional shampoo w cond combo and right products my hair will be curly enough to wear down and blend in nicely ... I wanted to take pics today but I was running all day today and had no time

I'll post pics w my progress so you all can help me w some feedback

I need help with suggestion on shampoo / cond
    if I should even use shampoo
    and some lightweight curl defining products

Thank you all for your great feedback
    I am loving my curls but having these stick straight pieces on top is not cool lol
    I'm not looking for miracles, just some good waves and curls would be awesome !!
    I have hope finally
    thank you CurlyInParadise but y hair was wet in the pic so still a little curly on the top but once it dries its STRAIGHT and looks so odd and doesnt lay right at all bcz all the rest of my hair is so curly but that top bit :( I had tried a layering haircut to help it curl more a few times and ended up with an awful mullet and chopped 10-12 inches of my hair off ... its been a serious hair struggle all my life and I just feel like straightening it is bad for my hair and bad for my health ! and I'm too busy these days to flat iron it daily bcz it takes so long ugh just a real mess
    Momtotwo wrote: »
    I read more on the cg method last night and I plopped this morning and used the Paul Mitchell Curls twirl around and oh - my - gosh ! my top layer was curlier than it has ever been! so I'm def on the right track :)

I am sulfate free using the Shea Moisture line right now and have for about 6 months now

I have the moisture shampoo and conditioner as well as their curl milk and the smoothie ... I bought their flax gel tonight

I have mainly been using only Biolage conditioner the last 30 days tho I gave it a try since other curly posts had suggested it ... and wasnt getting any real results with my curls w the Shea line ... I have shampooed my hair once a week .. sometimes twice if its greasy ... trying to find my right balance and right mix of products ... I never brush my hair and only have a wide tooth comb I use sometimes ... I generally use my fingers and avoid anything at all if I can

I hear you about my fine hair and using heavy products ... I do have more fine hair and less hair ... redheads do have the least hair ... I have never used any mouse gel or anything its all new to me bcz Ive always worn my hair straight and used heavy conditioners bcz straightening was so harsh and drying to my poor hair :(
    I have always leaned toward natural products ... also about taking too much b vitamins I know my body will just get rid of what I dont need but the biotin has grown my hair almost 4 inches in two months! I took a starter pic w my hair flat ironed the first week of April when I started and my hair has grown grown grown ! I need to flat iron it to see growth now but I just hate too :/ I havent used a flat iron in a couple of months now and before that it had been a couple of months ... I just feel like its bad for my hair but its a great way to mark the growth lol

and I wont lie ... its a little overwhelming bcz different ppl suggest different products and I don't even really know my hair type lol and I'm mixed textures or how ever you call it

The pics I posted aren't great but at least you can see how straight my canopy is :( it was A LOT better today so so curly almost all over except 10% rather than my usual 25-30 % but it did have a bit of a wet look

I'll try and use less product and try and use the gel tomorrow and see how that affects it ... I feel confident that if I can figure out the right either no poo or occasional shampoo w cond combo and right products my hair will be curly enough to wear down and blend in nicely ... I wanted to take pics today but I was running all day today and had no time

I'll post pics w my progress so you all can help me w some feedback

I need help with suggestion on shampoo / cond
    if I should even use shampoo
    and some lightweight curl defining products

Thank you all for your great feedback
    I am loving my curls but having these stick straight pieces on top is not cool lol
    I'm not looking for miracles, just some good waves and curls would be awesome !!
    I have hope finally

I'm glad that you have finally found hope! Since you mentioned about getting good results from the Paul Mitchell Curls Twirl, then I see no reason for you to stop using it. However there are always other options out there of course, you can explore if you wish. Two lines that I would recommend your checking out is the Devacare line (which is listed under Devacurl) and the Jessicurl line, which are both readily sold in Curlmart.

I see no reason for you to stop using the biotin supplements as long as they are continuing to provide you with positive effects. As long as it remains helpful to your hair and does not cause any bothersome side effects, then keep on taking it.

Stylers-Rotate between Camille Rose Naturals Almond Jai Twisting Butter and Camille Rose Naturals Aloe Whipped Butter Gel

I do not use conditioner on my hair on a weekly basis. And, my hair is A ok with that!
  • Morgan_AdcockMorgan_Adcock Posts: 2,573Registered Users Curl Neophyte
    FYI Phenyl Trimethicone is a non-water-soluble silicone. You will need a low-poo with cocamidopropyl betaine, or cocobetaine to remove it.

I know that some people use cones that can be removed with the above non-sulfate detergents, but going strictly CG has worked extremely well for me, as I personally find any silicones, water-soluble or not, to affect my hair negatively. I suspect that's at least partially due to the fact that I am able to get multi-day hair when I don't use them, as I can refresh my curls with water and water-soluble products. I also find that my ends get crispy after a few days, and want to be able to get water back into my hair without having to rewash it for no other reason.
    Peace,
    Morgan

Baby Fine 3B, low porosity, normal density and elasticity
    CGing since July 2008
    I used the Shea flax gel today and plopped this morning and not as good of results my top was pretty straight again ... also posting a pic of when I chopped all my hair and went natural and quit flat ironing this winter (that is what my start point was)
    Momtotwo wrote: »
    I used the Shea flax gel today and plopped this morning and not as good of results my top was pretty straight again ... also posting a pic of when I chopped all my hair and went natural and quit flat ironing this winter (that is what my start point was)

I have used the same gel and my hair didn't respond well to it at all. And, I actually have a different curl (Type 3b) than yours. So, I wouldn't recommend continuing to use it. I feel that your hair is too fine for the usage of products with shea in it to style your curls with. Also, you have a mixed curl pattern (Type 1/Type 2). Therefore, If a product contains an ingredient or ingredients that is too heavy for your hair, it will make your hair look limp, and you will get little to possibly no curl definition as a result.

Within your first post, you mention that you have been using the Shea Moisture products for some time with no real results. I would recommend, either stopping usage of their stylers, and using another styler from a different line. You recently tried the Paul Mitchell Curl Twirl, and had better success with that product than you've had with the Shea Moisture stylers. So, I see no reason for you not to continue using this product.

Or, if desired, you can seek to try out products from another line or lines altogether, and to build your regimen around such. I did recommend in a previous post about checking out the Devacare (listed under Devacurl) and Jessicurl lines. And, seeing the products that are offered within each line (which you can check out whenever your ready through Curlmart).

Leave a Comment

BoldItalicStrikethroughOrdered listUnordered list
Emoji
Align leftAlign centerAlign rightToggle HTML viewToggle full pageToggle lights
Drop image/file