3C Guy Who Needs Help With STraightening

CurlyMan82CurlyMan82 Registered Users Posts: 219 Curl Neophyte
Hello all,

I'm 3c and I was trying this straightening method without heat.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Y4b2Xh0404M

Somewhere here I went drastically wrong.

To give a short summary of the video, she puts her hair in rollers, then takes them out 30 minutes later. Next, she puts a special Paul Mitchell serum on her hair and brushes it into the opposite direction that the curls were in. After that, she uses bobby pins to pin the hair down, and puts on a satin cap. In a few hours, she removes the cap and she has has straightened, bouncy hair.

I have every single thing she has, and my hair seemed to come out straightened, but it came out thick. I have pictures here.

2ms0ps6.jpg

21o1qnd.jpg

j96npd.jpg

33csvo9.jpg

Places where I could have messed up? As you can see, there is some frizz that seemed to have escaped the rollers. Also, I don't think I had it pinned down correctly.

I know I can find help here because this involves some basic feminine hair tasks that I'm not familiar with. For example, the rollers or the use of bobby pins. Regarding the bobby pins in particular, I got them to slide onto my hair where I wanted them to be, but they possibly weren't correctly applied because of the result?

I could use help with this or I would be grateful for a straightening method that doesn't involve heat.

Comments

• lolo918lolo918 Registered Users Posts: 729 Curl Neophyte
    This video posted from the end of August is the "part 1": https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=m04yVP-ZiDY

The rolling portion that she shows in the second video is footage from around the 2 minute mark in the above video, but I think the 30 minutes was referring to this video. I also thought that it looked like she had let her hair dry some (get damp) before Then later she did the next video. Product wise, it looks like you don't have enough moisture or sealing with antihumectant products to help smooth the hair; but I could be wrong. The biggest thing that stands out to me is that you don't have nearly the same number of rollers as she does- hers are smoothed out quite a bit on each roller with less hair on each roller. With so much hair on each roller it can be hard to smooth all the strands with the surface of the roller. I also prefer magnetic rollers that have a smooth surface to begin with.

I'm a subscriber to her videos too and I was assuming that she wore the curls at least a day, then as the curls naturally loosened she did the wrap at night technique. I could be very wrong about that though.

Roller sets do take a lot of practice to get those right- I'm still working on mine but I do know that if you don't smooth enough prior to putting hair on rollers you won't get a good set, and if you don't have good product distribution it won't work as well. You can also add an extra no heat, heat step if your hair isn't sensitive to any potential condensation from it by adding plastic wrap under your satin scarf (a silk wrap).

Hope that helps and good luck!
    3C/4A, fine texture, low-medium density, and low porosity
    CG since November 2013.

Pre-Poo: infrequent now, Coconut Oil overnight
    Shampoo: Curls unleashed/for occasional sulfate wash when needed, everlasting sunshine.
    Conditioner: Suave Naturals Everlasting Sunshine and GVP's conditioning balm.
    Styler: iagirl's flaxseed curl cream or gelatin gel/conditioner mix. <3
    PT: iagirl's gelatin treatment 3-4 times a month, with conditioner/honey/avj
  • CurlyMan82CurlyMan82 Registered Users Posts: 219 Curl Neophyte
    Yeah, I realized the fact I didn't use as many rollers might be a big problem, because I noticed her hair isn't twice as long as mine or anything.
    If you keep practicing and get it down, please post results! Another thing that I never do, then wonder why my dry sets don't work as well but she did was brush out the curls.

One kind of sort of foolproof method that I use is overnight banding- I can go from a super shrunken wash and go to at most beach waves in the curl department, depending on how I band my hair, if I wear my scarf to bed, and what I use on it to band. When I went from wet to banded, using a shea butter honey mixture my hair was pretty straight but dull looking with no movement. Using shea butter on an old wash and go, I had silkier hair that moved. The problem with my dry wash and go was that my sections were too big, and I didn't smooth enough before putting the bands on. The starting moisture level of my hair affects my banding too, so if I don't add an appropriate amount of moisture/lubrication back I get in trouble.

I'm horrible at wrapping- I forgot to put that in my first post. I always end up with wonky roots that mess up my look unless I use a roller on my crown hairs, and wrap the rest of my hair around the roller.
    CG since November 2013.

Shampoo: Curls unleashed/for occasional sulfate wash when needed, everlasting sunshine.
    My issue is I want it to be bone straight. I've put mine in twists before with grips attached at the ends to weigh them down. My problem is they come out straight/wavy, but still thick.
    I see. The closer you put the bands on with banding the straighter it will be if you dont want to wash before doing the hair wrap. I usually get waves because I'm just stretching my hair to prepare for something else. I've never gotten fully straight hair with twists either.

To get a better picture, how did you prepare your hair for the rollers to straight set? What are your properties?

Sent from my SCH-I200 using CurlTalk App
    CG since November 2013.

I really don't know anything about properties. I took a look at that before, but couldn't quite figure it out.

I didn't know that about the bands though, so maybe I'll give it another shot.

Before I put them in rollers, I had washed them and deep conditioned them for about 45 minutes. After that, I went straight into the roller set. Didn't wash anything out.
  • CGSince2002CGSince2002 Banned Users Posts: 1,073
    CurlyMan82 wrote: »
    Yeah, I realized the fact I didn't use as many rollers might be a big problem, because I noticed her hair isn't twice as long as mine or anything.

Yup, as lolo918 just mentioned, you need less hair on each roller and to get them pretty tight, so you may need some small "duckbill" clips to secure them. You could also go one size bigger, your hair would dry faster too.

If you do it with dry hair, make sure to spritz your hair lightly with either of these: plain water; conditioner diluted in water; setting lotion.

Here's a video about wrapping without pins that you may want to try: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=UteGDjL3qpk
    Thank you for that video. Looks like the main place I screwed up really was the rollers. I didn't realize how much of a difference they could make.
    I was just coming here after I watched another video- it made a good point that I never think about when troubleshooting but that is making sure your sections are smaller than the width of the roller at the roots too. When I first tried roller sets, I didn't leave a tiny bit of space on each side of the roller, and the hair would expand while drying. It would fall off the sides of the roller and frizz out that way too.
    CG since November 2013.

• CGSince2002CGSince2002 Banned Users Posts: 1,073
    YW! Btw, I checked out the video you posted, turned out I'd seen it before but what I don't agree with is that she put in the "don'ts" getting the rollers very tight. I suppose she meant "too" tight, but they do need to be on snug enough for the hair to straighten out.
    lolo918 wrote: »
    I was just coming here after I watched another video- it made a good point that I never think about when troubleshooting but that is making sure your sections are smaller than the width of the roller at the roots too. When I first tried roller sets, I didn't leave a tiny bit of space on each side of the roller, and the hair would expand while drying. It would fall off the sides of the roller and frizz out that way too.

That's a great rule to follow. With some of this stuff, it's like you're winging it, because you're trying to imitate what you see being done without knowing why they're doing it a certain way. I thought you had to put enough hair to match the width of the roller, and that's where I screwed it all up. I'm trying it again this afternoon though. Hopefully I'll get it this time.
    YW! Btw, I checked out the video you posted, turned out I'd seen it before but what I don't agree with is that she put in the "don'ts" getting the rollers very tight. I suppose she meant "too" tight, but they do need to be on snug enough for the hair to straighten out.

Yeah, otherwise it seems the rollers would be pointless.

Leave a Comment

BoldItalicStrikethroughOrdered listUnordered list
Emoji
Align leftAlign centerAlign rightToggle HTML viewToggle full pageToggle lights
Drop image/file