CurlTalk

Conditioning v Deep Conditioning

I deep condition about once a week, shampoo every 2 weeks. How do you guys use just regular conditioner? I don't really see how it works in my haircare routine and am curious as to how others use it and how beneficial it is; is it necessary to just use regular conditioner?

Comments

• ReservechicReservechic Posts: 798Registered Users
    Miss_M wrote: »
    I deep condition about once a week, shampoo every 2 weeks. How do you guys use just regular conditioner? I don't really see how it works in my haircare routine and am curious as to how others use it and how beneficial it is; is it necessary to just use regular conditioner?

I own several deep conditioners as well as regular rinse out conditioners. What i like about them are the different formulations within each that my hair loves. My hair is naturally very dry. So I mainly deep condition my hair the most. I apply my deep conditioner and then I sit under my Heutiful Hair Steamer for 15-30 minutes. My hair is left feeling super soft, strengthened and deeply hydrated and it makes my detangling process so much easier. Now when I am pressed for time then I will pull out one of my regular rinse out conditioners and apply it to my freshly cleansed hair and let it set in my hair for 5 minutes. It leaves my hair feeling really soft, moisturized and makes detangling my hair a breeze. The usage of both deep conditioners and regular conditioners have both been beneficial to my hairs overall health. Which is why I continue to use both.
    Diagnosed with Scalp Eczema 6/2015
    (Don't hair type/loose curl pattern/fine texture/low density/high porosity

Current Regimen (Ayurvedic Based):
    Cleansers- Bobeam Shampoo Bars
    Stylers-Rotate between Camille Rose Naturals Almond Jai Twisting Butter and Camille Rose Naturals Aloe Whipped Butter Gel

I only wear my hair in wash n gos or buns. Also,
    I do not use conditioner on my hair on a weekly basis. And, my hair is A ok with that!
  • waterlily716waterlily716 Posts: 781Registered Users
    I use regular conditioners to wash my scalp and to aid in detangling. Some DC's are just not good detanglers. I also have very dry hair and will use a DC in place of a regular conditioner though on a daily basis (the ones that detangle like CJCR). If I want to amp up the moisture I use my heating cap.
    [sigpic][/sigpic]
    3a/b low to normal porosity curls
    CG method since 2006 @:-)
    CO wash: suave naturals coconut
    rinse out CO: GVP conditioning balm
    stylers: KCNT, CK, jessicurl spiralicious
    @waterlily716 on YouTube, FB, & Twitter
    Blog: Curls and Blossoms

• ReservechicReservechic Posts: 798Registered Users
    I use regular conditioners to wash my scalp and to aid in detangling. Some DC's are just not good detanglers. I also have very dry hair and will use a DC in place of a regular conditioner though on a daily basis (the ones that detangle like CJCR). If I want to amp up the moisture I use my heating cap.

I just wanted to say that I think your curls look awesome. I have enjoyed watching your hair videos for a long time.:profileleft:
    Diagnosed with Scalp Eczema 6/2015
    (Don't hair type/loose curl pattern/fine texture/low density/high porosity

Current Regimen (Ayurvedic Based):
    Cleansers- Bobeam Shampoo Bars
    Stylers-Rotate between Camille Rose Naturals Almond Jai Twisting Butter and Camille Rose Naturals Aloe Whipped Butter Gel

I only wear my hair in wash n gos or buns. Also,
    I do not use conditioner on my hair on a weekly basis. And, my hair is A ok with that!
  • lolo918lolo918 Posts: 729Registered Users
    Miss_M wrote: »

I use regular conditioner to cowash my scalp/hair, to finger detangle before I rinse it out, and finally outside of the shower to style my hair.

How do you style your hair? This may make a difference in why you don't feel the need for it. I wear my hair curly and shrunken 98% of the time in a wash and go- so it needs that moisture. I shampoo about once a week and cowash about 1-2 times in addition to shampooing. I do protein treatments with conditioner about once a week, and overnight pre-poos with coconut oil when I use shampoo.

Sent from my SCH-I200 using CurlTalk App
    3C/4A, fine texture, low-medium density, and low porosity
    CG since November 2013.

Pre-Poo: infrequent now, Coconut Oil overnight
    Shampoo: Curls unleashed/for occasional sulfate wash when needed, everlasting sunshine.
    Conditioner: Suave Naturals Everlasting Sunshine and GVP's conditioning balm.
    Styler: iagirl's flaxseed curl cream or gelatin gel/conditioner mix. <3
    PT: iagirl's gelatin treatment 3-4 times a month, with conditioner/honey/avj
  • waterlily716waterlily716 Posts: 781Registered Users

I just wanted to say that I think your curls look awesome. I have enjoyed watching your hair videos for a long time.:profileleft:

Aw thank you for your support! :)
    [sigpic][/sigpic]
    3a/b low to normal porosity curls
    CG method since 2006 @:-)
    CO wash: suave naturals coconut
    rinse out CO: GVP conditioning balm
    stylers: KCNT, CK, jessicurl spiralicious
    @waterlily716 on YouTube, FB, & Twitter
    Blog: Curls and Blossoms

• ashlyndmarieashlyndmarie Posts: 211Registered Users
    I use regular rinse out conditioners to cowash/detangle my hair and sometimes style in a pinch.
  • StarmieStarmie Posts: 6,681Registered Users Curl Connoisseur
    I shampoo my hair every other day (occasionally stretch it to three days) and use a regular rinse out afterwards each time. I use a deep conditioner once in a blue moon, if I feel my hair's particularly dry.
    I think, like lolo said - it depends how you style your hair as to what you need to do.
    3b in South Australia.
  • Miss_MMiss_M Posts: 21Registered Users
    I usually shampoo my hair every two weeks, or sooner if I have used a lot of product and it feels unclean. deep condition every week. id say my hair is 3c/4a, quite defined, dry curls. My wash and goes will last for a few days with ecostyler gel but I only occaaaasionally use regular conditioner to detangle in the shower, but not very often - Ive had the same one since last october. I'm a huge fan of leave-ins though. I guess everyone is different.. as so far I have not found it necessary, but my hair is quite short, about APL when straightened, so this may be a reason as to why I havent needed more conditioner yet
  • tanis.harveytanis.harvey Posts: 26Registered Users
    I cowash once a week with regular conditioner and deep condition once a week.
  • KrullenbolKrullenbol Posts: 114Registered Users
    I deep condition once a week, sometimes twice a week and I think I condition my hair normally 2 or 3 times a week, I wash my hair once every 2 week and co wash it once a week. But I also use conditioner when I don't wash my hair, but with wash n go's and then I leave a little in my hair. I don't always do this, only when I need the extra moisture in my hair, which I usually need during summer
  • FimuFimu Posts: 322Registered Users
  • lolo918lolo918 Posts: 729Registered Users
    Fimu, I haven't done a deep treatment that isn't specifically a protein treatment in a long while but when I do strictly non-protein deep treatments I never use anything more than body heat. I do let them sit for at least 20 minutes up to an hour. I place a plastic cap on my head, and cover that with a towel so that more heat is generated and if anything drips down out of the cap the towel absorbs it. I would leave it in a max of 20 minutes if I had a hooded dryer.
    3C/4A, fine texture, low-medium density, and low porosity
    CG since November 2013.

Pre-Poo: infrequent now, Coconut Oil overnight
    Shampoo: Curls unleashed/for occasional sulfate wash when needed, everlasting sunshine.
    Conditioner: Suave Naturals Everlasting Sunshine and GVP's conditioning balm.
    Styler: iagirl's flaxseed curl cream or gelatin gel/conditioner mix. <3
    PT: iagirl's gelatin treatment 3-4 times a month, with conditioner/honey/avj
  • FimuFimu Posts: 322Registered Users
  • AsiabooAsiaboo Posts: 26Registered Users
    I use certain conditioners to help me detangle and some times for styling if I'm short on products or trying to save money

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk