straightened roots/bangs vs unstraightened (3a)

oywidapoodlesoywidapoodles Registered Users Posts: 22
Originally I was gonna ask for opinions on why straightened roots tend to look more attractive, but I realize now that's a leading question.

So two questions then-- Do you think medium curly/wavy hair looks sexier with the roots and all the little bang-y bits that stick out when you pull your hair up in a ponytail (you know what I'm talking about) straightened or not? And why?

How about curly hair with straightened bangs or side bangs?

Am I just too used to the "curled hair" look even celebrities with curly hair tend to wear (see taylor swift)? Will this look bizarre and unnatural in 100 years? Does anyone naturally have hair like this?

Comments

• CurlyInTheFogCurlyInTheFog Registered Users Posts: 876
    I personally don't think straightened roots look more attractive--to me, it looks flat and blah. I'm always trying to get more lift and curl at the crown, which takes some effort because the natural tendency is for my thick hair to pull the crown flat. I also think shorter bits curling around the face are nicer looking than straight. But then I'm not into straightening at all.
    3a/b, F, normal porosity

Suave conditioner, LAL gel
  • CurlyDiva71CurlyDiva71 Registered Users Posts: 130 Curl Neophyte
    I don't think straightened hair at the roots or bangs look better. To me, it looks like hair that has gone flat. My hair tends to do this when it's longer, and I am not a fan of it. I like root curl. And I don't care for when see someone with curly hair and they have straightened their bangs. Looks weird to me.

3A, a mix of boticelli, corkicelli, and a few s-waves, baby fine, naturally porous, medium/high density

Pre-poo: coconut oil
    Co-wash: TJ's Tea Tree Tingle, Sauve Naturals, VO5, As I Am coconut co-wash
    Conditioner: TJ's Nourish, Tresseme Naturals, Sauve Naturals coconut, SM Coconut & Hibiscus
    LI: KCKT
    Styling: DevaCurl Light Defining Gel, HETT Mousse (HG's!)
    EcoStyler Krystal (new HG!!!), BRHG
    coconut oil or jojoba oil to SOTC
    Color treated with demi-permanent color to cover first grays
  • RimiRimi Registered Users Posts: 2,001 Curl Neophyte
    Straightened bangs and curly hair almost never looks good
    21 y/o lifelong natural {4a-O ; spongy ; coarse ; dense ; MBL stretched}

products {'poo: TJTTT shampoo | RO: TJTTT Condish | LI/style: TJTTT Condish, homemade cocoa butter cream | DC: condish + ayurvedic powder(s), Aussie 3MMM Treatment | PT: condish + NPF | oils: castor oil, grapeseed oil | other treatments: probiotics, tea rinses, AVG rinse/spritz, oil rinse | sealing method: LC sometimes O}

long-term: HL stretched, BSL unstretched

CG-friendly Products List!
  • CurlyDiva71CurlyDiva71 Registered Users Posts: 130 Curl Neophyte
    I should also add that when someone's hair is naturally wavy and doesn't have root curl, to me that's a whole different thing. Their hair is supposed to be that way and it looks very pretty. I just don't like if someone purposely makes the roots or bangs look straight.

3A, a mix of boticelli, corkicelli, and a few s-waves, baby fine, naturally porous, medium/high density

Pre-poo: coconut oil
    Co-wash: TJ's Tea Tree Tingle, Sauve Naturals, VO5, As I Am coconut co-wash
    Conditioner: TJ's Nourish, Tresseme Naturals, Sauve Naturals coconut, SM Coconut & Hibiscus
    LI: KCKT
    Styling: DevaCurl Light Defining Gel, HETT Mousse (HG's!)
    EcoStyler Krystal (new HG!!!), BRHG
    coconut oil or jojoba oil to SOTC
    Color treated with demi-permanent color to cover first grays
  • aspenaspen Registered Users Posts: 154 Curl Neophyte
    I think it depends on the person and the look they are going for. A curly root looks more natural but tends to be a little frizzier, and a straightened root is usually smoother.

It's also pretty hard to replicate natural root curl and celebs like Taylor Swift usually have their whole head straightened and then re-curled for a more manicured look rather than natural.

Personally I love curly roots (my own roots are pretty curly), though I am jealous of the natural wavies who have lovely body starting a little farther down too.
    3A-3B / Medium / High Density / Low Porosity
    Modified CG
    Low poo: Creme of Nature Argan Oil Moisture & Shine
    Conditioner: Curls Unleashed NB
    Leave in: Creme of Natura Argan Oil Strengthen & Shine
    Styling Product: Curl Keeper/ Curly Solutions gel
  • KaZenner1990KaZenner1990 Registered Users Posts: 859
    Just for the record, I adore any form of curl. But as other.mentioned in a wavy texture or texture that doesn't have so much root curl it would look very cute but with root curl the contrast would be too much I think.

Sent from my GT-I9000 using CurlTalk App
    2C/3A Botticelli/Corkicelli.Growing out color/heat damage
    M/C, Low/Medium/High Por, Normal Elast. Medium Density
    LP: INSIGHT DAMAGED HAIR Restructurizing Shampoo
    CO: Generic protein conditioner, Hair Academy Deep Cleansing CO
    DET/RO/LI: GNC Avocado And Shea Butter Conditioner +/mask,
    Styler: Schwarzkopf Taft Fixing GelWellaflex Instant Volume Boost Mousse
    DT: EVOO, C.O
    HG
    Goal: WL when curly
    CG since Feb 2014
  • CGSince2002CGSince2002 Banned Users Posts: 1,073
    I had been observing this new trend and although it looks good on some people, it's too "structured", just very unnatural and it will be forgotten not in a 100 years but probably very very soon, no fashion trend at all stays forever, the old ones just get recycled after a few years.

Real curly hair, or even wavy, has some texture at the roots and on us it looks BETTER that way, so it annoys me when Hollywood stylists create unrealistic looks, and of course, since most humans are "copycats" they start feeling "only" that is pretty but that's a bunch of poppycock! I know you're young but don't let yourself be influenced by current trends that are here today and gone tomorrow. Also, they first blow the hair straight (heat...), then use a curling iron (more heat...) so those styles are NOT good for the hair.
  • KaZenner1990KaZenner1990 Registered Users Posts: 859
    I had been observing this new trend and although it looks good on some people, it's too "structured", just very unnatural and it will be forgotten not in a 100 years but probably very very soon, no fashion trend at all stays forever, the old ones just get recycled after a few years.

Real curly hair, or even wavy, has some texture at the roots and on us it looks BETTER that way, so it annoys me when Hollywood stylists create unrealistic looks, and of course, since most humans are "copycats" they start feeling "only" that is pretty but that's a bunch of poppycock! I know you're young but don't let yourself be influenced by current trends that are here today and gone tomorrow. Also, they first blow the hair straight (heat...), then use a curling iron (more heat...) so those styles are NOT good for the hair.

Actually the last part makes me really sad. Like when you see a head of frizzyless curls to only find out they are "fake". Today on my way home I saw a curly with marvelous hair!!! Lately I adore short curlys for some reason. And by short I would mean chin or a bit longer. Because the maximum definition I have seen is on short hair. On long length it's usually brushed or looks like it.

Sent from my GT-I9000 using CurlTalk App
    2C/3A Botticelli/Corkicelli.Growing out color/heat damage
    M/C, Low/Medium/High Por, Normal Elast. Medium Density
    LP: INSIGHT DAMAGED HAIR Restructurizing Shampoo
    CO: Generic protein conditioner, Hair Academy Deep Cleansing CO
    DET/RO/LI: GNC Avocado And Shea Butter Conditioner +/mask,
    Styler: Schwarzkopf Taft Fixing GelWellaflex Instant Volume Boost Mousse
    DT: EVOO, C.O
    HG
    Goal: WL when curly
    CG since Feb 2014

Leave a Comment