Rollersetting tomorrow, any tips?

Ashkins1118Ashkins1118 Posts: 786Registered Users
I need a change, so tomorrow im going to try rollersetting as a natural curly. Does anyone have any tips? What kind of products do you suggest? It takes more than an hour to detangle my hair, which sucks. I just did it yesterday, and I will have to do it again if I really do roller set. Im just in the mood for straight hair for a little while :)
Super Thick corkscrews and waves. LOVE Elucence MBC, Giovanni 50/50 condish, Qhemet Products, V05 Calming Chamomile Tea Therapy condish, Jessicurl WDT. These are my official HG's that I love oh so much
http://www.youtube.com/user/Curlypad?feature=mhum

comic-p.jpg

Comments

• suthrnqtsuthrnqt Posts: 80Registered Users
    i don't know how to rollerset, but wish you luck with it. post the results of your rollerset tomorrow.... i want to know how it turns out :)

i was curious about how to do that too. could you post how you rollerset and what you used? i've never sucessfully used rollers. i imagine that trying it would give me a looser curl pattern.....or a mess. lol! i've never been good with styling my hair. i'd love to hear any tips too. i might dust off my hooded dryer and try it.
    4a/b with a patch of 3c
    OS - fine strands, wiry texture
    big and thick beautiful hair :)
    http://public.fotki.com/suthrnqt/
    password: growout
    blog: http://suthrnqt.spaces.live.com/
  • subbrocksubbrock Posts: 8,212Registered Users
    it does loosen the curl...i really like doing roller sets for a different, but still curly look. well let i take that back--i dont do them myself, i let my sister do it for me!
  • luvmylocsluvmylocs Posts: 7,578Registered Users Curl Neophyte
    what size rollers do y'all use? are smaller or slightly larger better? i'm guessing you're using magnetic rollers. how does it turn out? how long does it last? how does it look in comparison to say a twist out??

i'm thinking of doing it myself....
    a dreamy pisces :fish:
    please recycle, it matters...
    i change lives...through fitness
    i'm more relaxed being natural
  • thinfinethinfine Posts: 82Registered Users
    If you want straight hair, you will need the following:
      large, smooth, plastic, rollers with holes in them (the larger the roller the straighter the look)
      end papers
      setting lotion, or gel (DO NOT use something that will dry too hard and crispy; Lottabody will work if you dilute it well)
      medium to small tooth comb (a wide tooth comb will not work as it will not smooth the hair
      bonnet dryer
      little sticks or clips to secure the rollers

Part the hair into 1-inch sections (or desired size), spritz the hair until it is wet with the setting lotion, comb through to smooth the hair, holding the hair taut rollup hair with end paper at the ends, secure rollers, dry on low to medium heat for about 1 - 2 hours depending on the thickness of your hair.
    thin, fine, 4a
  • soon2bsoon2b Posts: 220Registered Users
    I agree with the above advice...the only difference is that i do not use gel or setting lotion. Just a good leave-in.
    event.png

Hair Type: small 3c patch in the center, mostly 4a with a patch of 4b at my temples
    Shampoo: Suave daily clarifying ( when I feel that need)
    Conditioners: AOHSR, MM, olive oil
    Styler/Leave-in: SheaMoisture, Fantasia IC, HNS
    okay great and thanks for the detailed instructions!! i need end papers. i will try it...gels and setting lotion aren't always my friend. i might try it with my afro detangler. i'll let y'all know how it goes. i can't do it until later this week... wish me luck!! :afro:
  • HeatherNicoleHeatherNicole Posts: 1,316Registered Users
    End papers aren't a necessity. I advise using a rattail comb. PLEASE DON'T DETANGLE WITH IT THOUGH. lol. I used Elasta QP foam (very good and healthy ingredients) and lotta body diluted in water.

I however, I hate doing roller sets. i did it once. It took forever. However, I used pretty small rollers. So, I'm thinking of trying again with bigger ones and then flat ironing the roots.

Start by parting your hair as if you were making a mohawk. Each part lining up with the thickest part of your eyebrows. roll all these sections back away from your face. The remaining side sections part evenly horizontal. (5 sections total). Roll these section to theses sections following the shape of your head. If you've curled your hair before I'm sure you know what I mean lol. HTH
    Thick coarse 3c/4a prone to dryness.
    Staples
    Aphogee 2 Step treatment
    Generic Biolage Conditioning Balm
    Tigi MM Conditioner
    Creme of Nature Shampoo for dry hair
    KCCC
    Denman D3
    Giovanni Direct Leave-in
    SheaMoisture Leave-in
    http://public.fotki.com/MsHeatherNicole/

"Make it work!"- Tim Gunn
    more feedback...GREAT!

a few more questions about roller sets:

how does it turn out?

how does it look in comparison to say a twist out??

how long does it last?
  • mariag002mariag002 Posts: 3,557Registered Users Curl Neophyte
    If you look at my Fotki page you will see pictures of how I rollerset my hair. The only thing I use is a comb like this one http://www.cachebeauty.com/Goldilocks_5.jpg , long bobby pins, and rollers the right size for my hair. I either air dry or use the bonnet hair dryer.

I like the way my hair comes out with the rollers because its easier to manage. Right now I'm transitioning and since my relaxed ends get tangled up with my natural hair its just easier for me to comb.
    - Maria

Big Chop: 9/23/07
    Relaxer free for almost 5 years!

thanks mariag002! great explanation and photos. i guess i just need to try it. my hair is a lot more kinky/coily thank yours so i know mine won't fall straight after i take the rollers out. :wink: hmm i'm not sure what i'll do with the front. i guess i'll just have to experiment. i have all the supplies...
  • Curly DeeCurly Dee Posts: 22Registered Users
    I roller set myself twice per week. I've been doing it for years (since I was relaxed). It gets easier the more you do it. I like my resulting curls a lot. Roller setting allows me to get 2nd, 3rd, and 4th day hair (very important since I have to be at work so early in the morning). My fotki has pictures of my natural texture and the results following the roller set if you're interested.

The ladies have given you great advice on products and techniques. Good luck!
    Last Relaxer: July 2006
    THANKS curly dee! i love your sets...i'm definitely excited about trying my set....i'm deep conditioning tonight. i plan to set tomorrow or thurs...

thanks again ladies for all the super advice!!!
    I got this link in the Sally's Beauty Supply newsletter

Rollers 101
  • Ashkins1118Ashkins1118 Posts: 786Registered Users
    I still havent tried this! I think im going to definitely do it for my bday in november....especially since I have all these great tips from you ladies :)
    Super Thick corkscrews and waves. LOVE Elucence MBC, Giovanni 50/50 condish, Qhemet Products, V05 Calming Chamomile Tea Therapy condish, Jessicurl WDT. These are my official HG's that I love oh so much
    http://www.youtube.com/user/Curlypad?feature=mhum

comic-p.jpg
  • JodenyseJodenyse Posts: 138Registered Users
    I know I give out this site way to much but www.healthytextures.com has some great rollersetting tips.
    www.Freerice.com
    Play a game while feeding the hungry 20 grains at a time:nike:
    ``````````````````````````
    Can someone please tell me how to change my Username?!??
  • foxycus02foxycus02 Posts: 918Registered Users
    PS...setting lotion and gel are definitely unnecessary. A good leave in and a silicone product is fine (although you can skip the silicone as well).
    For your first time I recommend the metal clips instead of the bobby pins. They secure the roller with a tighter hold.

rockin' to the tune of her own beat...

comic-p.jpg

Leave a Comment

BoldItalicStrikethroughOrdered listUnordered list
Emoji
Align leftAlign centerAlign rightToggle HTML viewToggle full pageToggle lights
Drop image/file