Edges Poofy/Frizzy when Wet, Crispy/Wirey when Dry

WumiWumi Registered Users Posts: 185
When I wash my hair, the edges do not react the same way as the rest of my head. I have a lot of different textures. I'm not talking about hairtypes, but properties.

Most of my head is defined curls and coils. After the curls dry they are soft, clump together, and feel properly moisturized. The hair feels healthy whether I leave conditioner in or a leave-in styler, or even if I just rinse the conditioner out. So I'm assuming it's getting cared for properly. I have single strand knots sometimes but that is the only issue I seem to get in that area that's about 90% of my head.

The edges of my hair are completely different. Once water touches it, the hair sucks it up. While wet, it is swollen and mushy. There isn't any clumping. As it dries, the edges stand up even more and feel crispy and hard like a brillo pad. There is no clumping, and single pieces stand straight up individually.

When I used protein gel, like Ecostyler, it worked for the most part. I would put it on when my hair was damp/wet after using a moisturizer. The problem I found was the hair felt dried out and eventually the humidity got to it anyway.

When I use wax/pomades, my hair feels softer than with gel. But it wears off faster. I have to spend all day adding wax every few howers just to look acceptable, and sometimes it comes up white because it doesn't blend well with my leave-in.

When I don't use any gel or wax it looks and feels softer, but it sucks in the moisture out of the day and swells up. It just gets bigger and sticks out in every direction.

I have given up trying to care about "hairtype" but no matter what I read in the porosity forums I haven't found a solution. Does anyone have hair that acts like this, and a real solution that works? The rest of my hair is fine with my regimen so I don't know why the edges act like this.:dontknow:
[SIGPIC][/SIGPIC]

No heat since August 2015 :)

Comments

  • adthomasadthomas Registered Users Posts: 5,525 Curl Neophyte
    my edges and nape are funky like that too. They seem to dry out quicker. I realized finally my problem was buildup. It seems like it comes quicker on those areas for me. That's why my I hate slicking with most gels with stuff like pvp because it only looks good for a day and then my hair is dry and no amount of moisturizer will help and no additional gel or pomade will make it look good. My hair is like "I've had enough". What helped me was a Bobeam poo bar. Instead of washing my full head I would wet my edges then run then bar across it. wet again then use my fingers to squeeze out shampoo and product from my hair. the bar is so gentle I don't need dc. I apply my leave in oil and (optional) styler. Some times I would do this every day or every other depending on what styles I'm wearing. I haven't been doing this as much lately because I haven't been using the gels and pomades as much.

    I also really like castor oil to seal my freshly washed and conditioned edges. That gives me the best edges hydration. Or I use an oil from Keraveda I like.
    Yes, it's real. No, you can't touch it. :wav:
  • gardencurlsgardencurls Registered Users Posts: 573
    My edges seem nearly identical to yours, and my ends look "stringy". Trimming does not help. It just gives me shorter hair with infuriating edges. The only times my edges feel "soft" is for about 3 hours after I wash and condition (I wash my hair at night) if I have no styling product in my hair. The more dry my hair gets, the crispier the ends, even though most of my hair is pretty soft (for coarse hair, anyways). I have low porosity hair overall, but my ends are definitely the worst part. It's as though nothing affects them. My hair rejects pomades and waxes,which just sit on my hair for awhile before they slide out.

    Using a leave-in conditioner on my dry ends (meaning not-wet),right before I use any styling product helps somewhat, but it can cause other shapes issues. For a long time I thought too much protein might be one of the causes for me, but the "rest' of my hair gets majorly frizzy and undefined without protein.

    Refresher sprays help quite a bit, sprayed throughout the day, and recently I've been adding spray gel to my ends (often in addition to refresher spray) after my hair is completely dry. For some reason gel on dry ends seems to "smooth" the edges way better than pomade. I've run out, but besides gel, smoothing my ends with Curl Junkie Curls in a Bottle helps. I have no scientific explanation for why these things work. My personal trial and error came up with these results. Maybe it has something to do with "sealing" the edges like adthomas posted about?
    3b/c, Coarse, Low Porosity, Desert Climate
    CG since August 2011/Occasionally Minimally Modified since 2013
    Favorites: Beautiful Nutrition Cocoa Curl Cleansing Conditioner, Beautiful Nutrition Cocoa Curl High Definition Moisture Gel, Beautiful Nutrition UltraLight Lime Jel Control Serum, Beautiful Nutrition Lemon Rinse Clarifying Treatment
  • CurlyCitaCurlyCita Registered Users Posts: 152
    Wumi wrote: »
    When I wash my hair, the edges do not react the same way as the rest of my head. I have a lot of different textures. I'm not talking about hairtypes, but properties.

    Most of my head is defined curls and coils. After the curls dry they are soft, clump together, and feel properly moisturized. The hair feels healthy whether I leave conditioner in or a leave-in styler, or even if I just rinse the conditioner out. So I'm assuming it's getting cared for properly. I have single strand knots sometimes but that is the only issue I seem to get in that area that's about 90% of my head.

    The edges of my hair are completely different. Once water touches it, the hair sucks it up. While wet, it is swollen and mushy. There isn't any clumping. As it dries, the edges stand up even more and feel crispy and hard like a brillo pad. There is no clumping, and single pieces stand straight up individually.

    When I used protein gel, like Ecostyler, it worked for the most part. I would put it on when my hair was damp/wet after using a moisturizer. The problem I found was the hair felt dried out and eventually the humidity got to it anyway.

    When I use wax/pomades, my hair feels softer than with gel. But it wears off faster. I have to spend all day adding wax every few howers just to look acceptable, and sometimes it comes up white because it doesn't blend well with my leave-in.

    When I don't use any gel or wax it looks and feels softer, but it sucks in the moisture out of the day and swells up. It just gets bigger and sticks out in every direction.

    I have given up trying to care about "hairtype" but no matter what I read in the porosity forums I haven't found a solution. Does anyone have hair that acts like this, and a real solution that works? The rest of my hair is fine with my regimen so I don't know why the edges act like this.:dontknow:

    Sounds like my hair. I use the loc method and dont leave the edges unattended. Loc method on those too. Also i found that shea moisture smoothie works wonders for my edges instead of gel. Gel hardens my edges whereas the smoothie smoothes it but leaves it soft still. At the same time though, im starting to think that my edges have a diff porosity level. Another factor may be sweat. Humidity is an ass kicker so i sweat constantly and have a sweaty scalp naturally anyway. But try the smoothie or another product similar besides the smoothie that has smoothing effects but not hardening effects.
    Hair type: 3c/4a, high shrinkage :/, high density,medium porosity. ~1inch to APL stretched. Big Chopped: Oct. 2012
    Routine & Products: Sundays- DC on dry hair w/Cantu Shea Butter Leave in Conditioning Repair Cream & Olive Oil. Wash w/As I am Coconut Cowash. Condtion&detangle w/any VO5 conditoner. Braid in 5-8 braids w/Shea Moisture Smoothie.
    Wear braidout rest of week. Rebraid every night.

    MAYcowash w/VO5 conditioner mid-week and rebraid again. I always unbraid w/Coconut oil on hands.
  • WumiWumi Registered Users Posts: 185
    i tried LOC and it seems like my edges feel like they dried out faster. I co-washed with the Herbal Essences smooth conditioner, rinsed my hair with water, squeezed in a little leave-in conditioner (it has coconut oil in it), then sprayed with olive oil and covered with some leave-in cream (Lush R&B that has avocado oil in it). My hair feels like a greasy mess, I'm a little disappointed. It felt weird putting oil on wet hair, then covering with a cream. My ends (the part of my hair that usually has no issues) felt spongy and frizzy when I put the oil on first.

    Whenever I do all these excesive regimens I just get disappointed, I wish I could just put it in a bun and go, but my edges just don't allow that. I had to add about 3 different waxes to my edges trying to make them lay down all morning before I could leave, and it ended up showing white. I have been spraying water on it just to make the white film disappear.
    [SIGPIC][/SIGPIC]

    No heat since August 2015 :)
  • ReekyReeky Registered Users Posts: 1,323
    adthomas wrote: »
    my edges and nape are funky like that too. They seem to dry out quicker. I realized finally my problem was buildup. It seems like it comes quicker on those areas for me. That's why my I hate slicking with most gels with stuff like pvp because it only looks good for a day and then my hair is dry and no amount of moisturizer will help and no additional gel or pomade will make it look good. My hair is like "I've had enough". What helped me was a Bobeam poo bar. Instead of washing my full head I would wet my edges then run then bar across it. wet again then use my fingers to squeeze out shampoo and product from my hair. the bar is so gentle I don't need dc. I apply my leave in oil and (optional) styler. Some times I would do this every day or every other depending on what styles I'm wearing. I haven't been doing this as much lately because I haven't been using the gels and pomades as much.

    I also really like castor oil to seal my freshly washed and conditioned edges. That gives me the best edges hydration. Or I use an oil from Keraveda I like.

    agreed ^ esp the buildup part.

    Also, castor oil makes my edges feel like nothing else. Combined with aloe gel for hold is all I use on them nowadays. It lays them down and softens them and almost makes them "silky" in a way nothing else does. It conditions my scalp too, as a result my edges have grown in thicker when I didnt even realize they were thin (I started using it about a year ago). I either layer or mix the two in my palm and smooth it down and tie it with a scarf so it "sets" and im good. Once its dry I can comb out and manipulate them and they stay smooth until I wet them again.
    dense, fine & porous curls |

    Poo/Cowash| Bobeam, V05 Shea Cashmere
    DC| AOGPB, CJ Repair Me, BrownButterBeauty
    RinseOut| Mill Creek Keratin Conditioner, Ology Moisturizing Conditioner
    Leave In| Curl Rehab, Bee Mine Luscious Balanced Moisturizer, CJ Smoothing Lotion
    Moisturize|Oyin Hair Dew, CR Moisture Milk
    Gel| Kiss My Face UMG, Trader Joes Aloe Vera, KCCC
    Sealants| Aloe Juice, Whipped Shea, Cocoa & Mango Butters, Castor, & my Peanut Oil Blend =)
  • WumiWumi Registered Users Posts: 185
    Reeky wrote: »
    adthomas wrote: »
    my edges and nape are funky like that too. They seem to dry out quicker. I realized finally my problem was buildup. It seems like it comes quicker on those areas for me. That's why my I hate slicking with most gels with stuff like pvp because it only looks good for a day and then my hair is dry and no amount of moisturizer will help and no additional gel or pomade will make it look good. My hair is like "I've had enough". What helped me was a Bobeam poo bar. Instead of washing my full head I would wet my edges then run then bar across it. wet again then use my fingers to squeeze out shampoo and product from my hair. the bar is so gentle I don't need dc. I apply my leave in oil and (optional) styler. Some times I would do this every day or every other depending on what styles I'm wearing. I haven't been doing this as much lately because I haven't been using the gels and pomades as much.

    I also really like castor oil to seal my freshly washed and conditioned edges. That gives me the best edges hydration. Or I use an oil from Keraveda I like.

    agreed ^ esp the buildup part.

    Also, castor oil makes my edges feel like nothing else. Combined with aloe gel for hold is all I use on them nowadays. It lays them down and softens them and almost makes them "silky" in a way nothing else does. It conditions my scalp too, as a result my edges have grown in thicker when I didnt even realize they were thin (I started using it about a year ago). I either layer or mix the two in my palm and smooth it down and tie it with a scarf so it "sets" and im good. Once its dry I can comb out and manipulate them and they stay smooth until I wet them again.


    Thank you two.

    I have some aloe vera that I can try. No castor oil but I have some hair wax that is mostly castor oil that I will try.

    When you style your hair, do you put the leave in everywhere but your edges? Does the aloe vera go on first? Is your hair wet when you put it on?

    I have tried putting castor oil on my hair wet (it appears to absorb into the hair) and damp (it starts to hold and then gets sucked in overtime). When I used it on dry hair, it appeared kind of greasy and sticky. I threw the castor oil out after that because I was frustrated with the stickiness/greasiness. Is the aloe vera what helps it hold your hair down?
    [SIGPIC][/SIGPIC]

    No heat since August 2015 :)
  • WumiWumi Registered Users Posts: 185
    I'm trying to attach pictures, I really need help so I will try to explain the issue better with pictures.

    First 2 pictures are my hair with no gel. The only thing in my hair is a leave in, Eden Body Works coconut curl creme. My edges explode out like that...

    The next two are after I apply a bunch of gel and wax, and my hair has dried. The edges are laid down and have white residue but the hair underneath looks wavy and curly... Even if I don't get the white stuf. The curl definition never matches between the front and back.
    [SIGPIC][/SIGPIC]

    No heat since August 2015 :)
  • WumiWumi Registered Users Posts: 185
    Regardless of what products I use the bulk of my hair looks mostly the same when it dries. It clumps together and feels healthy. I don't have to layer products or anything, I can just put leave in on it while wet, braid it and let it airdry so I can put it in a bun for the day. The ends curl around and get single strand knots but I just trim them off a few times a year.

    If I undo the braid it will explode but it doesn't feel crispy, just cottony. I'm not sure how to get my edges to act the same way, or if its possible without a ton of gel or wax or both.
    [SIGPIC][/SIGPIC]

    No heat since August 2015 :)
  • WumiWumi Registered Users Posts: 185
    My hair is almost midback length and I've been natural for about 7 years. It's hard because I am military and I have worn mostly buns. I don't know if its mechanical damage thhat caused this: back in February I stopped blowdrying and flatironing. I also was parting my hair on the sides up until April or so. I noticed breakage sticking out on the top so I just pull the hair back to give it a rest instead of parting. Now my edges seem to be a huge problem. They seem poofier, and I can't tell if they broke off, or if they are just growing long for the first time.
    [SIGPIC][/SIGPIC]

    No heat since August 2015 :)
  • lolo918lolo918 Registered Users Posts: 729 Curl Neophyte
    Have you tried using a protein rich conditioner or applying a PT on just your edges to see if it helps? On the flip side if you already are using protein heavy products try to avoid putting it on your edges? I ask because you mention the hair also feeling mushy, which can be a sign of too much moisture and not enough protein.

    Sent from my SCH-I200 using CurlTalk App
    3C/4A, fine texture, low-medium density, and low porosity
    CG since November 2013.

    Pre-Poo: infrequent now, Coconut Oil overnight
    Shampoo: Curls unleashed/for occasional sulfate wash when needed, everlasting sunshine.
    Conditioner: Suave Naturals Everlasting Sunshine and GVP's conditioning balm.
    Styler: iagirl's flaxseed curl cream or gelatin gel/conditioner mix. <3
    PT: iagirl's gelatin treatment 3-4 times a month, with conditioner/honey/avj
  • ReekyReeky Registered Users Posts: 1,323
    Wumi wrote: »

    Thank you two.

    I have some aloe vera that I can try. No castor oil but I have some hair wax that is mostly castor oil that I will try.

    When you style your hair, do you put the leave in everywhere but your edges? Does the aloe vera go on first? Is your hair wet when you put it on?

    I have tried putting castor oil on my hair wet (it appears to absorb into the hair) and damp (it starts to hold and then gets sucked in overtime). When I used it on dry hair, it appeared kind of greasy and sticky. I threw the castor oil out after that because I was frustrated with the stickiness/greasiness. Is the aloe vera what helps it hold your hair down?

    I always apply them on damp hair, esp the castor.. it is key. I find castor alone has a "smoothing" effect and I use the aloe just to give that extra hold. I will either layer them or mix them in my palm.
    You might want to avoid that "wax" you mentioned because buildup can be apart of your problem. Also the wax will not nourish the scalp like the straight oil will. Id try aloe and another rich oil like olive or avocado at the very least...Instead of focusing on what products will smooth them look more to condition them.
    dense, fine & porous curls |

    Poo/Cowash| Bobeam, V05 Shea Cashmere
    DC| AOGPB, CJ Repair Me, BrownButterBeauty
    RinseOut| Mill Creek Keratin Conditioner, Ology Moisturizing Conditioner
    Leave In| Curl Rehab, Bee Mine Luscious Balanced Moisturizer, CJ Smoothing Lotion
    Moisturize|Oyin Hair Dew, CR Moisture Milk
    Gel| Kiss My Face UMG, Trader Joes Aloe Vera, KCCC
    Sealants| Aloe Juice, Whipped Shea, Cocoa & Mango Butters, Castor, & my Peanut Oil Blend =)
  • WumiWumi Registered Users Posts: 185
    OK I used Aphogee 2-Step protein treatment a week ago, and then Nexxus Humectress after. It feels stronger and the edges laid down better after that, but they were still wild. I have still been cowashing instead of shampoo and using products with castor oil. I am starting to think that overtime this is helping, but I am still spraying water on my edges to refresh the hold about every few hours...

    Reeky- None of the castor oil "wax" products have actual wax in them. They are castor oil and essential oils for the most part. I had some actual hair waxes I was using from the Afghan store but I quit those because they kept turning white.

    What I have been thinking is that a lot of my edges are between 3 and 4 inches long, but a few months ago in those same places it was just stubble. I am thinking that I will measure them to see if they are actually growing, since I can't see any points where they are breaking off.

    If it is possible that maybe they are just growing for hte first time, I really hope so. I haven't used heat in 4+ months, no attempts at "smoothing" my edges with a brush, and I haven't worn hair clips in about 3 months. In about 7 years this is the longest I have gone without doing those things.

    Maybe my hair will lay down better when it grows out..
    [SIGPIC][/SIGPIC]

    No heat since August 2015 :)
  • pinkpostitheartpinkpostitheart Registered Users Posts: 112 Curl Neophyte
    Do you wear a scarf or bonnet when you go to bed? It might be that.

    For me, my edges are dry in the nape sometimes when I wear a bonnet that has a thick elastic band. When I wear a scarf or a different all-satin bonnet, it either doesn't happen or is less pronounced.

    For me, it's my bonnet's sucking the moisture out of the edges. My edges and back twists will be bone dry, for example, but the crown will still be quite wet if I did a style on damp or wet hair.

    I noticed that I use a lot more cream product in the back of my hair, and it might be for this reason.

    event.png

    Last Relaxer: 12/24/2012
    Weekly Products I'm Using:
    Pantene Relaxed & Naturals Shampoo and Conditioner
    Blue Magic Hairdress
    Grapeseed Oil
    my hair is normal-ish porosity / dense / fine+medium strands
  • WumiWumi Registered Users Posts: 185
    Do you wear a scarf or bonnet when you go to bed? It might be that.

    For me, my edges are dry in the nape sometimes when I wear a bonnet that has a thick elastic band. When I wear a scarf or a different all-satin bonnet, it either doesn't happen or is less pronounced.

    For me, it's my bonnet's sucking the moisture out of the edges. My edges and back twists will be bone dry, for example, but the crown will still be quite wet if I did a style on damp or wet hair.

    I noticed that I use a lot more cream product in the back of my hair, and it might be for this reason.

    It's not that at all.
    [SIGPIC][/SIGPIC]

    No heat since August 2015 :)
  • adthomasadthomas Registered Users Posts: 5,525 Curl Neophyte
    Wumi wrote: »
    Do you wear a scarf or bonnet when you go to bed? It might be that.

    For me, my edges are dry in the nape sometimes when I wear a bonnet that has a thick elastic band. When I wear a scarf or a different all-satin bonnet, it either doesn't happen or is less pronounced.

    For me, it's my bonnet's sucking the moisture out of the edges. My edges and back twists will be bone dry, for example, but the crown will still be quite wet if I did a style on damp or wet hair.

    I noticed that I use a lot more cream product in the back of my hair, and it might be for this reason.

    It's not that at all.
    Did you try a tad bit of a very gentle shampoo across your edges? I do this then li then castor oil. Especially using all these gels and heavy stylers my edges get dry quickly from buildup. If not this I hope you find a remedy soon.
    Yes, it's real. No, you can't touch it. :wav:
  • WumiWumi Registered Users Posts: 185
    adthomas wrote: »
    Wumi wrote: »
    Do you wear a scarf or bonnet when you go to bed? It might be that.

    For me, my edges are dry in the nape sometimes when I wear a bonnet that has a thick elastic band. When I wear a scarf or a different all-satin bonnet, it either doesn't happen or is less pronounced.

    For me, it's my bonnet's sucking the moisture out of the edges. My edges and back twists will be bone dry, for example, but the crown will still be quite wet if I did a style on damp or wet hair.

    I noticed that I use a lot more cream product in the back of my hair, and it might be for this reason.

    It's not that at all.
    Did you try a tad bit of a very gentle shampoo across your edges? I do this then li then castor oil. Especially using all these gels and heavy stylers my edges get dry quickly from buildup. If not this I hope you find a remedy soon.

    Castor oil by itself does nothing for my hair but make it sticky. I think the products I use that have castor oil in them work because it is cut with other oils, glycerin, and or water.

    Shampooing my hair too often (including the edges) makes it dry over time. I only shampoo once a month now and co-wash the rest of the time. I have seen that my curls clump together better with less tangles now that I have done this.

    The co-washing has helped reduce the frizz, so I don't have to layer on products and create buildup trying to fight the frizz anymore.

    It took a full month of not shampooing for me to notice a difference in frizz and curl definition, so I do believe stripping my hair with shampoo and then layering on products to tame it was the culprit.


    I never thought I would be doing this in 7 years natural, but another thing I have changed is that I have actually been finger detangling my hair. I pull the loose hairs out from the ends and work my way up to the roots. I only brush my ends before I braid them into a bun.

    I can see right now that I have "S-Curl" shaped curls popping up all over my edges that were never there before, and the rest of my hair is falling into place. Hopefully it keeps getting better, I'm glad I am finding what appears to be working. It just goes to show everyone's hair is different.
    [SIGPIC][/SIGPIC]

    No heat since August 2015 :)
  • lolo918lolo918 Registered Users Posts: 729 Curl Neophyte
    That's awesome, Wumi! I'm glad you've been able to figure things out.
    3C/4A, fine texture, low-medium density, and low porosity
    CG since November 2013.

    Pre-Poo: infrequent now, Coconut Oil overnight
    Shampoo: Curls unleashed/for occasional sulfate wash when needed, everlasting sunshine.
    Conditioner: Suave Naturals Everlasting Sunshine and GVP's conditioning balm.
    Styler: iagirl's flaxseed curl cream or gelatin gel/conditioner mix. <3
    PT: iagirl's gelatin treatment 3-4 times a month, with conditioner/honey/avj

Leave a Comment

BoldItalicStrikethroughOrdered listUnordered list
Emoji
Image
Align leftAlign centerAlign rightToggle HTML viewToggle full pageToggle lights
Drop image/file