Okay i am officially confused ladies on my hairtype! Post pics

jesci25jesci25 Registered Users Posts: 12
Okay! I Really don't know what texture I am. I post this on curlynikki, women got mad at me for no reason, and say that I am 4a, but when I look at naptural85, who is 4a. My hair don't react like hers at all, then someone told me, that I am 4b. Then I started to look at the 4b naturals and my hair still didn't react the same. So I tried getting an afro, like these 4 styles like women told me that I am on the forums when I asked, but when I try to achieve an afro my hair don't hold an afro, it weighs down. I am confused to this hairtyping system, because a lot of these 4's; that the women are telling me, will not even style like theirs. I need people help, I really don't know who to watch, because I really do not know what texture am I. So please help ladies, I am trying to figure out what I am?

I have posted pics

https://www.flickr.com/photos/[email protected]/

Sometimes I think my hair looks like these photos:

Hairstyling: natural hair, silicone sealant, tooth comb

Twisted Tresses

Twisted Tresses

But some women say that I am a 4, so I really don't have a clue; because I tried 4 hairstyles and they just will not work for my head.

Comments

• blissfulcurlsblissfulcurls Registered Users Posts: 36
    Just looking at your pictures I want to say 3c but you could have more then one type and if so I would say 3c and 4a.

Sent from my SAMSUNG-SM-N900A using CurlTalk App
  • jesci25jesci25 Registered Users Posts: 12
    I thought so too, maybe I could be more than one type; because my hair asks weird sometimes, when I can't get a style of a 4 lol. An Thanks!

An since mines react a little different, I have to treat my hair different it seems. An Thanks again!
  • BluebloodBlueblood Registered Users Posts: 1,748 Curl Neophyte
    The curl patterns such as 4a, 3c etc don't mean that you can achieve a particular style with ease, as your other hair properties and envirnoment have a lot to do with it.

Andre Walker's curl typing system was a way of saying if your hair had a particular pattern then x products and styles would work. Then people on this board realised over the years that people had the same curl pattern but the same styles and products didn't work for everyone due to other hair properties and environmental ones. Plus your curl pattern wasn't linked explicitly to your racial background as Andre Walker described.

So when people on hair boards give you advice take it as a suggestion that it is likely to work but if it doesn't chalk it up to experience and move on.

Yes people on hair boards do get p*ssed if they think you have x curl type and then you complain that something doesn't work. However if you give them information about your strand size, hair density and as many other hair and environmental properties as you can then someone will normally step in to say that doesn't work for my hair either due to y.
    Yes! I see that, I really think everybody hair is different, that is why certain things don't work for everyone. An yeah! I think it is totally wrong, to jump on somebody, who says that their hair reacts differently; but that is crazy. I haven't seen that much like that on naturallycurly, because I find the women here, gives more valid and decent information; but curlynikki them women in there jump on you, just because you says that your hair don't react like a regular 4 hair. An yes! I was accused that I was texturized and that I didn't want to accept 4 hair textured. When that is not it at all, it just my hair reacts differently; but I am so happy you explain this to me. An Thanks!
  • chupiechupie Registered Users Posts: 5,280 Curl Connoisseur
    It may also be a question of what condition your hair is in and even possibly cut. Hair is a lot of trail and error in my experience.
    2a medium porous, You can see my wavy tutorials here: https://www.youtube.com/playlist?list=PLy8bclCLgER5N_uVYSYZNxhBHSXAW40OQ and my wavy blog is The Wavy Nation http://wavynation.wordpress.com
  • anonymous_166474anonymous_166474 Registered Users Posts: 70 Curl Neophyte
    jesci25 wrote: »
    Okay! I Really don't know what texture I am. I post this on curlynikki, women got mad at me for no reason, and say that I am 4a, but when I look at naptural85, who is 4a. My hair don't react like hers at all, then someone told me, that I am 4b. Then I started to look at the 4b naturals and my hair still didn't react the same. So I tried getting an afro, like these 4 styles like women told me that I am on the forums when I asked, but when I try to achieve an afro my hair don't hold an afro, it weighs down. I am confused to this hairtyping system, because a lot of these 4's; that the women are telling me, will not even style like theirs. I need people help, I really don't know who to watch, because I really do not know what texture am I. So please help ladies, I am trying to figure out what I am?

I have posted pics

Twisted Tresses

Twisted Tresses

But some women say that I am a 4, so I really don't have a clue; because I tried 4 hairstyles and they just will not work for my head.
    You definitely could have more than one type. Your hair looks mostly 4a with 3c. Hair Types - Discover Your Hair's Texture
    [SIGPIC][/SIGPIC]Kosher Curls
    mostly 3b curls
    Low Porosity
    fine, medium, coarse
    medium to high density
    Products: Giovanni direct leave in and olive or argan oil eco styler.

LONG: 10"+ (armpit to waist length)
    chupie wrote: »
    It may also be a question of what condition your hair is in and even possibly cut. Hair is a lot of trail and error in my experience.

True, I know that's definitely the truth, when it comes to natural hair. You must find what conditions your hair well; in order for it to be soft. I can definitely say yes to that!
    Tehliurd wrote: »
    jesci25 wrote: »

I have posted pics

Twisted Tresses

Twisted Tresses

You definitely could have more than one type. Your hair looks mostly 4a with 3c. Hair Types - Discover Your Hair's Texture

Yeah! That is what I thought as well, but wasn't sure. I thought I could be in between. Thanks!
  • KiraSavannahKiraSavannah Registered Users Posts: 423
    Did you previously flat iron your hair alot? Your length looks 3c, but your roots look 4a or b. You may have heat damage.

Sent from my SGH-T999 using CurlTalk App
    CG/LOC Method's 3b/3c hair SL-Curly/ Goal-MBL Curly:)
    Weekly Poo/Low Poo: some Shea M Poo.
    Weekly Deep Treat-Dermorganic Intensive Hair Masque
    Bi-Weekly RO:Tresseme Naturals - V.Smooth/N.Moisture
    Daily Leave in:Shea Moisture Extra Moisture Detangler
    Daily Oil: Olive Oil & Conut Oil Mix
    Daily Styler: Shea Moisture Curl & Style Milk
  • artemis513artemis513 Registered Users Posts: 666 Curl Neophyte
    Yes I agree. Don't focus so much on curl pattern, as much as getting the health and condition of your hair in top shape. Looking at the length and ends of your hair compared to your roots your hair looks compromised. So that's another reason maybe why ppl were getting upset with you. Your roots look like Type 4 and your length looks compromised. Like type 3 but if it were damaged. It's also this thing where a person asks "Am I type 4?" and then folks says yes, and then the person says "I don't think I am". "Well then why are you asking us?" I've seen that on the boards too lol.

I find that curl pattern only matters in terms of how you want to style your hair, but how you care for your hair and keep it healthy is based on texture, porosity. So you should focus on that instead of curl type.

Condition more, do less to your hair and get regular trims. Then when is at is best level of health you'll clearly be able to tell on your own what your curl type is. Good luck.
    4a/3c, fine strands, low porosity, medium density
    Last relaxer: Jan 2010 - BC'd: 2/27/11
    My Fotki
    My Blog
    Did you previously flat iron your hair alot? Your length looks 3c, but your roots look 4a or b. You may have heat damage.

Sent from my SGH-T999 using CurlTalk App

No I don't have heat damaged, because I trim my hair too much to do so and I don't flat iron my hair alot; because it starts to revert by the next day, so I stay curly, most of the time. An my hair can not hold an afro either, like I tried combing my hair to get an afro like these women, but I can't:

4 Amazing Products for Type 4B/4C Natural Hair | Black Girl with Long Hair

Pin by alicia gudino on Celebrities hairstyles | Pinterest

Afro :D by UngodlyReign

Karina // 3C/4A Natural Hair Style Icon | Black Girl with Long Hair

I really wanted afros like that, but my hair looks like this when I comb it out and this is when I first went natural and it still react like this today, even though it don't be stringy at the ends like that, but it lays like that whenever I just pick my hair out:

126.JPG
    The Brazilian Blowout Craze

An I used to tell my mother, how come my hair doesn't react as an sticking up rounded afro when, I comb it out; my mom just tells me that my hair just doesn't act that way. That is the reason why I am confused about my hair texture, because my hair does react different in the aspects of other people.
    artemis513 wrote: »
    Yes I agree. Don't focus so much on curl pattern, as much as getting the health and condition of your hair in top shape. Looking at the length and ends of your hair compared to your roots your hair looks compromised. So that's another reason maybe why ppl were getting upset with you. Your roots look like Type 4 and your length looks compromised. Like type 3 but if it were damaged. It's also this thing where a person asks "Am I type 4?" and then folks says yes, and then the person says "I don't think I am". "Well then why are you asking us?" I've seen that on the boards too lol.

I find that curl pattern only matters in terms of how you want to style your hair, but how you care for your hair and keep it healthy is based on texture, porosity. So you should focus on that instead of curl type.

Condition more, do less to your hair and get regular trims. Then when is at is best level of health you'll clearly be able to tell on your own what your curl type is. Good luck.

I had many people on the net to tell me, is my hair heat trained or texturized, but if you know me in person like a lot of women at my church, who knows me, knows that my hair reacts different. An no I don't used heat, because my hair reverts too much, I tried that, humidity is a beast lol. So I don't think it is any use, not unless I permed it and that is something that I wouldn't do.

An yes! I know the reason why people, say they don't think that they are, when they asked because, people can tell you what textured you are, but a lot of times the hair just don't react the same as people say that you are. That is why I asked and many others, because people tell you one thing about your hair type, but your hair reacts a different way to the style compared to what they have told you, that you are. That is why I just do deep conditioning most of the time and try to conditions, while I can, because that's all I can do for my hair.

An I think you are right, don't focus on the curl pattern; but just keep it conditioned and that is all I do.

Leave a Comment

BoldItalicStrikethroughOrdered listUnordered list
Emoji
Align leftAlign centerAlign rightToggle HTML viewToggle full pageToggle lights
Drop image/file