Help with Protein Treatments

russianprncssrussianprncss Posts: 450Registered Users Curl Neophyte
Hey Everyone,

I'm considering the whole protein thing for the first time. I don't know if I'm protein sensitive or craving but my hair seems kind of gummy so I figure I'll try one. I'm confused though... I read some posts but I still don't know if I should be using some kind of masque with protein or a daily conditioner with one?

Also, how often? Weekly? Bi-monthly? Monthly?

Can you use it with a DT that's moisturizing or is it better to do it separately?

My hair is not color treated or heat damaged. I have lots and lots of thick, fine wavy hair.

Thanks for your help!
2C/3A; very, very thick fine to medium hair; low porosity.

Current Products:
Co-Wash: As I Am Cleansing Co-Wash
Conditioner: Shea Moisture Tahitian Masque, Aubrey Organics GPB, Shea Moisture
Leave-In: Coffee Coco Curl Creme, Coffee Coco Curl Creme Lite
Stylers: Mop Top Curl Custard, Shea Moisture Curl Custard[/FONT]

"Forget not that the earth delights to feel your bare feet and the winds long to play with your hair." -Khalil Gibran

Comments

• naturecatnaturecat Posts: 1,986Registered Users Curl Neophyte
    Hi, I'm new to this myself. But had luck with a PT! I used gelatin. My hair seems to like it as often as I use it. A lot depends on how fine your hair is (finer hair tends to need protein, whereas thick hair tends to not need it as much). If your hair has too much protein it becomes hard and brittle (though I've never experienced this!).

I did a PT mixed with FSG, and a little bit of essential oils. So it was almost like conditioning at the same time. I've heard of people adding condish. Some people say they're afraid it would prevent the protein from sticking to their hair. Everyone's different though. The mild amount of FSG in there, if anything, seemed to smooth my hair and make it feel like conditioner in there instead of protein. I didn't need to wash or condition afterwards. Most people say they need to condition afterwards because it can make your hair hard (depending on what you put in your hair, how intense the PT is).

I also heard someone say that they needed to clarify before using a PT to let it stick to their hair better. I put mine on clean hair (no product) and wrapped my head in saran, then used a heating pad (heat supposedly helps the protein adhere to hair better). There was more definite spring and curl in my hair afterwards. Anyway HTH and good luck!

Edited to add: with protein conditioner, it may be better to just try protein separately first; otherwise you may think it was the protein that was the problem instead of a particular conditioner. Then based on your results, you can decide if you want to avoid protein in conditioner or not.

3A/f/i
    Super baby fine hair, low porosity
    Shampoos: SM Fruit Fusion (mostly), Avalon lemon (to clarify). Occasional aloe vera and glycerin to wash.
    Stylers: Intelligent Nutrients Perfect Hold Hairspray
    Treatments: Catnip tea, IA girl's PT, Fermented Rice Water, Catnip Tea, Amla tea, Irish Moss, SS PT
  • CurlyShorty3405CurlyShorty3405 Posts: 196Registered Users
    Hey Everyone,

I'm considering the whole protein thing for the first time. I don't know if I'm protein sensitive or craving but my hair seems kind of gummy so I figure I'll try one. I'm confused though... I read some posts but I still don't know if I should be using some kind of masque with protein or a daily conditioner with one?

Can you use it with a DT that's moisturizing or is it better to do it separately?

My hair is not color treated or heat damaged. I have lots and lots of thick, fine wavy hair.

Thanks for your help!

I go to the salon to get a deep conditioning protein treatment. It's both a pt and deep conditioner in one. I get it done once a year and it costs me 50 bucks. I get the Paul Mitchell Awapuhi Wild Ginger KeraTriplex treatment. The first step puts keratin(what makes up 80% of our hair) back into your hair and the second step is a deep conditioning treatment. It really reduces breakage and frizz and makes hair stronger. I also take 50mg of keratin everyday too. Coconut oil also has protein in it too.
    2B-2C Density-Medium/High Width-medium Length-Medium

LoPoo: Onesta Hydrating Shampoo
    CoWash: LP Curl Conditioning Wash
    ROs: Onesta Hydrating Conditioner, LP Curl Detangling Rinse
    Weekly DC: LP Restore Mask Treatment
    Leave in: LP Restore Targeted Repair Cream
    Stylers: (in application order): LP Prime Style Extender Cream, LI, LP Curl Defining Style Cream, LP No Frizz Weightless Styling Spray, LP PHD Night Cap
    Sealer: Body Shop Olive Oil/Body Shop Argan Oil/Josie Maran Argan Oil
  • Geek_ChicGeek_Chic Posts: 1,275Registered Users Curl Connoisseur
    Hey Everyone,

Thanks for your help!

You may find you need both periodic pt's (big single dose of protein) and protein in your daily conditioners. I know I have to do both for optimal hair. For fine hair, I would start with protein in daily conditioners to better maintain optimal protein levels. Be aware that the first 5 ingredients (after water) are going to be the major ingredients in a product. Although that doesn't mean the rest don't matter, it does mean that a product with protein in the top 5 is going to have more protein than a product with protein further down in the list. If I found I was over-conditioned despite protein in my daily conditioners, I'd then do a pt to help supplement. Once you know what your optimal hair feels and looks like, it's easier to recognize deviations and fix them.

In terms of protein, hydrolyzed proteins may be better than amino acids or whole proteins for fine or damaged hair because hydrolyzed proteins are fairly substantive (stick to hair well). Hydrolyzed proteins, depending on the size, will either absorb into the hair shaft or help patch repair surface weak spots and damage. Amino acids in a rinse out product will generally rinse away instead of being of lasting benefit, though they might be more helpful in a leave-in or styler. Whole proteins are generally too large to absorb into the hair shaft, so they tend to coat the surface or rinse away as well.

There are moisturizing pt's out there (like Curl Junkie's Repair Me), but for a first pt where you aren't sure how your hair reacts to protein, I don't think I would combine a dt (deep moisture) with a pt (deep protein). If you combined a dt /pt, and your hair reacted poorly, it could make it harder to pinpoint just what your hair didn't like. Was it the protein or the oils or butters or glycerin? ... It's not always easy to tell.

I think I'd just do a proper pt with hydrolyzed protein, then see how dry my hair felt as I rinsed it out. If your hair comes out silky soft or only slightly dry, you could just follow with your regular rinse out and/or leave-in conditioner. If it comes out very dry or even straw-like, then you can follow with a full dt. If it comes out dry and straw-like, that's an indicator you gave it more protein than it needed at that time. If it comes out extremely soft and with less curl than it had before the pt, that can be an indication that your hair didn't like that particular protein.

How often you need protein will depend on your hair and your products. Some with finer or more damaged hair find that they can pt weekly, while others don't need one as often.

As a bit of personal experience, early on in CG I went with moisture moisture moisture (curls are always dry, right?). I was on a quest for frizz-free hair and also semi-afraid of protein and getting "crunchy" hair from it. Took maybe 4 weeks to overcondition to the point my hair was so gummy and weak it would break from just running fingers through. It was frizz-free though, and shiny to the point it almost looked greasy. I didn't even realize until after a pt just how much breakage I'd incurred, as I suddenly had all these tiny short strands sticking straight up near my part line.

My first pt (IAGirl's gelatin) was a revelation. My hair had weight to it again, and it felt like hair again. I could see the increased curl and clumping while I was rinsing the pt out and my hair felt like wet silk (was way too overconditioned for the pt to leave it dry). That was my first big indicator my hair isn't meant to be completely frizz-free. Part of "who my hair is" includes a few "flyaways" or "frizzies". Over time I've learned to accept that and instead look at the big picture. While a head full of frizz is not cool, if my hair is otherwise healthy, a few canopy hairs "reaching for the sky" or a few flyaways are OK.

I have real waves and curls, and they're never gonna look like the magazine pics of hair that's been flat ironed or blown out and then had waves or curls created with a curling iron... and that's OK too. After all, I can take my hair into the water or the rain and come out with wet curls. They can't do the same and come out with perfect hair like they started out.
    CG since 11/2011
    2c /3a F /Mii, low porosity

Go To Products /Routine:
    Clarifying: Suave Essentials Strawberry
    Low Poo: Renpure Luxurious Argan Oil
    CO: Suave Essentials Strawberry, V05 Kiwi Lime
    RO /LI: Tresemme Perfectly (un)Done, Cure Care, V05 Kiwi Lime Squeeze, Suave Essentials Strawberry, Renpure Brazilian Keratin (old formula)
    Stylers: LALSG, AIF, HETT, Suave Professionals Firm Control
    PT: IAGirl's as needed
  • Geek_ChicGeek_Chic Posts: 1,275Registered Users Curl Connoisseur
    Hey Everyone,

Thanks for your help!

I go to the salon to get a deep conditioning protein treatment. It's both a pt and deep conditioner in one. I get it done once a year and it costs me 50 bucks. I get the Paul Mitchell Awapuhi Wild Ginger KeraTriplex treatment. The first step puts keratin(what makes up 80% of our hair) back into your hair and the second step is a deep conditioning treatment. It really reduces breakage and frizz and makes hair stronger. I also take 50mg of keratin everyday too. Coconut oil also has protein in it too.

Properly processed coconut oil is actually protein free. It does however reduce protein loss in hair. For the "protein sensitive", coconut oil's ability to increase protein retention can feel like protein buildup, even though the oil doesn't have any protein content in and of itself.
    CG since 11/2011
    2c /3a F /Mii, low porosity

Go To Products /Routine:
    Clarifying: Suave Essentials Strawberry
    Low Poo: Renpure Luxurious Argan Oil
    CO: Suave Essentials Strawberry, V05 Kiwi Lime
    RO /LI: Tresemme Perfectly (un)Done, Cure Care, V05 Kiwi Lime Squeeze, Suave Essentials Strawberry, Renpure Brazilian Keratin (old formula)
    Stylers: LALSG, AIF, HETT, Suave Professionals Firm Control
    PT: IAGirl's as needed
    Geek_Chic wrote: »
    Hey Everyone,

Thanks for your help!

Properly processed coconut oil is actually protein free. It does however reduce protein loss in hair. For the "protein sensitive", coconut oil's ability to increase protein retention can feel like protein buildup, even though the oil doesn't have any protein content in and of itself.

I didn't know that about coconut oil.

Stylers: (in application order): LP Prime Style Extender Cream, LI, LP Curl Defining Style Cream, LP No Frizz Weightless Styling Spray, LP PHD Night Cap
    Geek_Chic wrote: »
    Hey Everyone,

Thanks for your help!

I didn't know that about coconut oil.

• russianprncssrussianprncss Posts: 450Registered Users Curl Neophyte
    Yeah that's what was starting to happen to me... And I was getting frizz like right out of the shower, too. I just bought Aubrey Organics GPB conditioner and Shea Moisture's smoothing masque that's supposed to have light protein in it, too, so we'll see how that works!
    2C/3A; very, very thick fine to medium hair; low porosity.

Current Products:
    Co-Wash: As I Am Cleansing Co-Wash
    Conditioner: Shea Moisture Tahitian Masque, Aubrey Organics GPB, Shea Moisture
    Leave-In: Coffee Coco Curl Creme, Coffee Coco Curl Creme Lite
    Stylers: Mop Top Curl Custard, Shea Moisture Curl Custard[/FONT]

"Forget not that the earth delights to feel your bare feet and the winds long to play with your hair." -Khalil Gibran
  • wavydazewavydaze Posts: 2,065Registered Users Curl Novice

I'm just going to weigh my $.02 that getting PTs or DTs at salons are a waste of money.

There's no secret, special ingredients that a "salon PT" would have that a good PT that you can buy yourself won't have. If you want suggestions I can recommend Curl Junkie's Repair Me (PT). It's expensive but very rich and will last a VERY long time. It also has keratin. Though I haven't tried the CJ DT's (I don't DT) I hear they're very good as well. I'm sure you can also buy the Paul Mitchell one yourself. Also, if your hair is fine and/or damaged, a once a year PT is definitely not going to cut it. You'll most likely be PT-ing regularly, even as frequently as weekly for some. Protein is something you have to "keep up" if your hair needs it. The only exception is coarse hair, which needs very little protein if any at all, and may benefit from only a once a year protein shot.

Even cheaper would be IAgirl's gelatine PT. Collagen not keratin, but still hydrolized protein and yes it works!
    2bc/ f / ii. low porosity roots + normal-high porosity shaft where bleached. normal elasticity.

Currently using:
    Poo: Earthbath Oatmeal & Aloe
    RO: V05 Kiwi Lime
    LI: CJ Smoothing Lotion
    Styler: UFD CM, CJ PP
    PT: CJ Repair Me

:thumright: hydrolized protein, jelly stylers
    :angry8: guar hydroxypropyltrimonium chloride, sulfates, jojoba oil
    Neutral on cones.

iherb discount code: CFN646
  • kathymackkathymack Posts: 9,999Registered Users Curl Neophyte
    wavydaze wrote: »

I'm just going to weigh my $.02 that getting PTs or DTs at salons are a waste of money.

There's no secret, special ingredients that a "salon PT" would have that a good PT that you can buy yourself won't have. If you want suggestions I can recommend Curl Junkie's Repair Me (PT). It's expensive but very rich and will last a VERY long time. It also has keratin. Though I haven't tried the CJ DT's (I don't DT) I hear they're very good as well. I'm sure you can also buy the Paul Mitchell one yourself. Also, if your hair is fine and/or damaged, a once a year PT is definitely not going to cut it. You'll most likely be PT-ing regularly, even as frequently as weekly for some. Protein is something you have to "keep up" if your hair needs it. The only exception is coarse hair, which needs very little protein if any at all, and may benefit from only a once a year protein shot.

Even cheaper would be IAgirl's gelatine PT. Collagen not keratin, but still hydrolized protein and yes it works!

Totally agree with this! I found the ingredients for the PM Treatment at drugstore.com:

Water, Cetearyl Alcohol, Isohexadecane, Behentrimonium Chloride, Glycerin, Amodimethicone, Cetyl Esters, Dimethicone, Behentrimonium Methosulfate, Stearamidopropyl Dimethylamine, Cetrimonium Chloride, trideceth 12, Panthenol (Pro Vitamin B5), Polysilicone 15, Keratin, Hydrolyzed Keratin, Oxidized Keratin, Wheat Amino Acids, Polyquaternium 55, Hedychium Coronarium (White Ginger) Root Extract, Hydrolyzed Vegetable Protein PG Propyl Silanetriol, Citric Acid, Methylchloroisothiazolinone, Methylisothiazolinone, Magnesium Chloride, Magnesium Nitrate, Fragrance, Benzyl Salicylate, Hexyl Cinnamal, Limonene, Linalool

I do at least on PT a week and use a lot of products with protein. If my styling products don't have protein, I'll use a protein spray as first product on.
    3a (Corkicelli), highlighted, fine, low porosity
    SE PA

HGs: Anything Sevi; Curly Kinks Satin Roots, Curlycue ReNew and Coil Jam; homemade FSG and okra gel; soap bars; UFD Curly Magic; Botanical Spirits Jellies, CJ Repair Me, Aloe Fix
    [SIGPIC][/SIGPIC]
  • BluebloodBlueblood Posts: 1,748Registered Users Curl Neophyte
    Hey Everyone,

Thanks for your help!

You can do deep treatments at home or alternatively ensure one of your regular use products such condition or gel has protein in them. The latter is more helpful to those who do exercise & wash their hair quite frequently.

Also too much protein or the wrong type can lead to dry hard hair with loss of curl pattern. The balance between moisture & protein needs to be correct for you.

If you have a balanced diet (Google "Harvard healthy eating plate") or are not a body builder/similar athlete then a protein supplement is just a waste of money as it has no proven benefits.

If your diet isn't balanced you should change it as lean protein sources such as fish and chicken come with vitamins and minerals that help hair growth. In fact very few supplements have benefits and some can cause other health problems.

Coconut MILK contains protein NOT coconut OIL. There are recipes around for deep conditioning with coconut MILK.
    wavydaze wrote: »

You can only buy the Paul Mitchell Keratin Intensive treatment, you can't buy the vial of actual keratin, not even at a salon. If you happen to find the actual vial of keratin online, it's most likely fake. I only do this once a year because I take 50mg of keratin every day, and my weekly deep condition treatment has both keratin and hydrolyzed keratin.

Blueblood wrote: »
    Hey Everyone,

Thanks for your help!

You can do deep treatments at home or alternatively ensure one of your regular use products such condition or gel has protein in them. The latter is more helpful to those who do exercise & wash their hair quite frequently.

Also too much protein or the wrong type can lead to dry hard hair with loss of curl pattern. The balance between moisture & protein needs to be correct for you.

If you have a balanced diet (Google "Harvard healthy eating plate") or are not a body builder/similar athlete then a protein supplement is just a waste of money as it has no proven benefits.

If your diet isn't balanced you should change it as lean protein sources such as fish and chicken come with vitamins and minerals that help hair growth. In fact very few supplements have benefits and some can cause other health problems.

Coconut MILK contains protein NOT coconut OIL. There are recipes around for deep conditioning with coconut MILK.

I do have a balanced diet thank you very much, and since I've started taking keratin I have noticed a difference in my hair, seeing as how 80% of our hair is keratin. My hair is more healthy since taking the keratin and my routine has been working for me. And somebody already pointed out to me that coconut oil doesn't contain protein, but using coconut oil as a deep conditioning treatment helps reduce protein loss in hair.

• rbbrbb Posts: 4,355Registered Users Curl Connoisseur
    + cj repair me. and, you do not need a dt with it it is so moisturizing.

3a, some 2c & 3b, medium texture, porosity normal, low elasticity :-(
    washing/cowashing, conditioning, protein tx: curl junkie products
    leave in:curl junkie conditioners and treatments as leave in
    styling: curl junkie 
    sealants - jane carter nourish & shine
  • rbbrbb Posts: 4,355Registered Users Curl Connoisseur
    + cj repair me. and, you do not need a dt with it it is so moisturizing. - it is a perfect balance.

3a, some 2c & 3b, medium texture, porosity normal, low elasticity :-(
    washing/cowashing, conditioning, protein tx: curl junkie products
    leave in:curl junkie conditioners and treatments as leave in
    styling: curl junkie 
    sealants - jane carter nourish & shine

Leave a Comment

BoldItalicStrikethroughOrdered listUnordered list
Emoji
Align leftAlign centerAlign rightToggle HTML viewToggle full pageToggle lights
Drop image/file