Breakage or Shed hair growing back?

I've noticed as my hair has gotten longer I have these shorter pieces all over my head. Now, my hair has normal shedding and I haven't seen pieces break from my ends, so I'm a bit confused. I can't pin point the issue because they aren't isolated areas that have these pieces. I have SUPER thick hair and when I moved to twisting my hair at night before bed, that's when I noticed the shorter pieces. Help me understand what I'm missing.

Comments

• SereneCurlsSereneCurls Posts: 1,145Registered Users Curl Neophyte
    If you look at the ends of those shorter strands it should help. If the ends taper off, they're likely new growth. The natural growth cycle of hair means there will always be strands of various lengths. If the ends look blunt or ragged, they're more likely broken hairs.
    3a, dense, fairly coarse, normal porosity and elasticity, just below shoulder
    Low poo: Giovanni 50 50
    Co-wash: aia, suave coconut, salon care
    R O: Tresume Naturals, gvpcb
    L I: KCKT, gvpcb
    Stylers: cjpp, re : coil, kccc, brhg
    Oils: coconut, argan
    Experimenting with: curls rock amplifier, pantene mousse
  • naturecatnaturecat Posts: 1,986Registered Users Curl Neophyte
    Speaking from personal experience, I've suffered hair loss and didn't realize it until my hairdresser pointed it out to me. I couldn't spot any excessive shedding until it became more obvious. My hairdresser said she saw many pieces that were short and all around the same length. She could also tell just from looking at me whether my hair was thinner than normal. No one else seemed to notice. So I'd def recommend asking your hairdresser next time you go back. With twisting your hair at night, have you changed only the time of day or how you are actually styling it? Or, are you sleeping on it now when you didn't before? For me, it seems like ponytails cause breakage at the root, so less obvious than a mid length break. Hope you get to the bottom of it soon.

3A/f/i
    Super baby fine hair, low porosity
    Shampoos: SM Fruit Fusion (mostly), Avalon lemon (to clarify). Occasional aloe vera and glycerin to wash.
    Stylers: Intelligent Nutrients Perfect Hold Hairspray
    Treatments: Catnip tea, IA girl's PT, Fermented Rice Water, Catnip Tea, Amla tea, Irish Moss, SS PT
  • KilajoKilajo Posts: 786Registered Users Curl Neophyte
    I have this issue as well and couldn't for the life of me figure out what was going on. I think you're right SereneCurls. That makes a lot of sense.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
  • NaturalAt38NaturalAt38 Posts: 2Registered Users
    SereneCurls. This makes total sense. All the short pieces are the same length and they don't have blunt ends. I sooo appreciate your response this gives me hope.

Leave a Comment

BoldItalicStrikethroughOrdered listUnordered list
Emoji
Align leftAlign centerAlign rightToggle HTML viewToggle full pageToggle lights
Drop image/file