please help! New wavy drowning in flat hair and frizz

naturecatnaturecat Posts: 1,986Registered Users Curl Neophyte
*Edit: I think I started getting the hang of it now. To save y'all from having to read this long post.* Posted some after photos. Really excited about finally getting wavy hair!

hi all,

i'm a relatively new wavy (born with ringlets which i didn't care for properly). discovered those "weird sticking out clumps" in my frizzy blow dried hair was texture when i stopped blow drying,

been doing chemical free hair care for close to a year now. but only in the past few months stopped blow drying. been lost ever since to look presentable with my hair.

my hair is baby fine, which means products weigh it down, take out curl (not good for me) and give it a greasy look. i also battle extreme frizz. my hair ranges from straight (if too greasy) to wavy to even ringlets in some places (love em! if only could get that all over my head!). also depends on weather.

hair loves protein (discovered this one week ago!). gelatin helped amp up curl, beautiful defined ringlets when wet but after washing and drying they lost form.:( maybe next time i'll try using gelatin as gel too (though i wish i could get the same effect without animal protein). store bought gels dull my hair and leave it greasy and weighed down.

here's what i've also tried; FSG (diluted recipe, hair still frizzy, didn't do much except take a long time to dry).
okra: so much potential! i left it thinnish and liquidy… it cured my frizz! and gives hold. however it left my hair greasy and even weighed down curls a bit. should i dilute with water?

i wash with BS/ACV or sometimes shampoo bar to clarify. i'd love to co-wash but my hair gets greasy and weighed down. i'm open to it though, maybe my technique needs work. i use chemical free conditioner all the time now, even with BS/ACV (in an effort to put protein back in my hair).

anyway my goal is to get as much curl as i can, defined, not falling out when it dries (and hold would be nice too but just the first two would be nice). i must do so with no or almost no chemicals. i'm willing to homemake anything that might work. any advice or ideas? TIA

edited to add: also tried plopping (hair a bit short in some places), smasters (but i don't use much product), super soaker (again, not much product). they are great techniques, but i need something more to get them to work.

my hair cut is two layers (one shortish, the other longer) designed for blow drying. my hair dresser is great but the salon emphasizes straight hair. i don't want to switch from her. any advice how to cut it) i can cut wet because right now i'm just a mild wavy. but she can cut however i request. it seems that layers with less length difference between them might work better for textured hair?

3A/f/i
Super baby fine hair, low porosity
Shampoos: SM Fruit Fusion (mostly), Avalon lemon (to clarify). Occasional aloe vera and glycerin to wash.
Stylers: Intelligent Nutrients Perfect Hold Hairspray
Treatments: Catnip tea, IA girl's PT, Fermented Rice Water, Catnip Tea, Amla tea, Irish Moss, SS PT

Comments

• CGSince2002CGSince2002 Posts: 1,073Banned Users
    Fine hair does benefit from protein, and yes, you can use the gelatin as gel, years ago people were doing that all the time.

You could try the FSG again making it more concentrated or, as I had to do, sopping up most of the water from your hair before applying it so you can really soak your hair with it, otherwise I'd get no hold. I have never used the OG so I can't advise you on it. Another option is pure aloe vera gel, like the unflavored one sold at health food stores (or you can extract it yourself). Adding a (very) small amount of honey to any of those and then diffuse drying will increase the hold and shine. I would start with just a few drops as overdoing it could give you a crunch impossible to break.

Depending on the length of your hair you can ask your stylist to cut your hair at 90 degrees or 180 (long layers).

HTH!
    Joined Curltalk 1st time in early '02 shortly after starting CG. I'm a non-practicing Cosmetologist.
    Hair: color-treated, mostly 3A.
    CO-wash: VO5 K&L
    RO: SpaHaus Salon w/OO, VO5 Shea Cashmere, W.R. Trop. Coconut, Daily Defense Moisturizing & others.
    LI: Beautiful Curls w/Shea Butter & C.O., Hollywood Beauty OO Creme, VO5 K&L, Aveda Be Curly Curl Enhancer.
    Gels: LAL Wet Look, ORS Lock & Twist.
    Oils: Jojoba, EVCO & Africa's Best Ultimate Herbal Oil

• naturecatnaturecat Posts: 1,986Registered Users Curl Neophyte
    Aw, thanks so much for your time and response! Will def try your suggestions out!

I tried honey hair lightening in the past (not much luck and didn't wash out to boot), so the thought of using it frightened me in the past. But the way you suggested it sounds gentle and do-able. I will definitely play around with the different combos. I take it you add the honey after you strain the FSG?

Also, I'm new to this… what does 90 or 180 degree cuts mean in terms of layers? is 180 a gentle layering (each layer is only a slightly different length from nearby layers?). And 90 is one length? My hair is past shoulder length (longer if I pull it completely straight, 4" past shoulder).

PS You have gorgeous curls!

3A/f/i
    Shampoos: SM Fruit Fusion (mostly), Avalon lemon (to clarify). Occasional aloe vera and glycerin to wash.
    Treatments: Catnip tea, IA girl's PT, Fermented Rice Water, Catnip Tea, Amla tea, Irish Moss, SS PT
    You're welcome, glad to be of help!

As long as you don't use too much honey you don't have to be afraid, I learned the hard way so hopefully you don't have to. And yes, you add it after it's been strained. It works especially well with the AVG, and you can actually mix both too.

In a 90 degree haircut, the layers blend very nicely together and help add volume to the hair. Here's a pic of what it could look like:

P1040421.jpg

The 180 is also called "long layers" haircut, and here's a video of how it's done with pics at the end of what it looks like... on straight hair though, but either of those work very well for curly hair.

And thanks for the compliment, I suppose you refer to the pic in my profile, I need to learn how to use a camera my b/f brought me so I can take pics of how it's now (longer and lighter).
    Joined Curltalk 1st time in early '02 shortly after starting CG. I'm a non-practicing Cosmetologist.
    RO: SpaHaus Salon w/OO, VO5 Shea Cashmere, W.R. Trop. Coconut, Daily Defense Moisturizing & others.
    LI: Beautiful Curls w/Shea Butter & C.O., Hollywood Beauty OO Creme, VO5 K&L, Aveda Be Curly Curl Enhancer.

Thanks so much for your help! Ooh, would love to see an updated pic of your curls. Yes, I did see the pic in your profile… since you mentioned having some of the same issues as me, I wanted to see if we were hair twins.

Anyway, I had a little bit of luck, finally! Managed to get defined (if slightly greasy) hair, held somewhat in place, and a more even curl pattern throughout my hair. Since everything by itself was no good, I threw a little of everything together; gelatin, honey, okra, FSG, sea salt, warm water. Silly me, I messed it up by going outside before it was dry, so frizz, but I had to save a baby chipmunk (!) and also it was nice out for a walk.

It took a loooong time to dry but I was able to diffuse a little because my hair was firmly in place. First time being able to do that without turning it into a frizzy pouf. Very cool!

So below are some pictures. Including one profile one so you can see where I still have frizz/hair falling funny issues. Next time I think I'll add more honey for more hold.

curlyback.jpg.html?filters[user]=117419103&filters[recent]=1&sort=1&o=1

curlybackside.jpg.html?filters[user]=117419103&filters[recent]=1&sort=1&o=2

curlyface2.jpg.html

curlyprofile3.jpg.html

Hm, anyone know why these photos aren't showing up? They're from photobucket…. they show up fine there. Am I supposed to do an insert link instead of insert picture?

Edit to try direct link:
    curlyback.jpg
    curlybackside.jpg
    curlyface2.jpg
    curlyprofile3.jpg

3A/f/i
    Girl, I thought I was having a good (2nd) hair day until I saw your pics...:neutral: Frankly, idk what you're complaining so much about, I thought your hair was gorgeous!!! :D So you must be a little perfectionist... err, welcome to the club, lol!

Saving a baby chipmunk is definitely a good reason to risk a bit of frizz (which I really did not see...), glad to see you're an animal lover too. :thumbright:

I think you should keep doing what you're doing, IMO it's working, even your haircut is better than what I got at one of those "assembly-line" chain salons (can't even remember the name right now, lol!).

I once tried using Photobucket here but it didn't work well for me either, I think I tried using the link they give you there when you want to copy the pic so idk...

Thanks, my pics showed? Weird, I can't see them at all. I wasn't complaining about the photos…. this is the "after," the best curly hair I've had yet since going CG (discounting my babyhood curls)! I'll post a before photo in the wavies before/after CG and you'll see how bad it really was before. :) It usually looks awful. Since going CG I always ended up over oiling/conditioning, and it greased down to straight. Or dried it out with shampoo bar and then, frizz city. My hair had no protein and my hair couldn't hold curl, so I'd get straight pieces with weird large humps, and it looked stringy and shot. BS/ACV by itself clearly wasn't enough for me.

My current hair cut looks soooo much better now with this homemade gel thing! I love my hairdresser, she always knows what she's doing. That's why I refuse to switch even though she clearly prefers straight hair. :) Anyway thanks so much for your honey suggestion! I don't know why I was afraid it would grease my hair down. I'm going to add even more next time (I think I put in literally two baby drops).

You can't see it in the photos, but there is serious frizz now. Not sure if water will address that tomorrow… but I may get my first ever 2nd day hair tomorrow morning! So excited!

So my HG is now gelatin. I just wish it didn't involve animals. And the baby chipmunk lived, I'm happy to say! I rescued it from an indoor/outdoor cat that passed by (my cats are indoors only). Usually I love seeing cats, but I had to work like mad to get him away after he pounced the poor baby chippie. He wasn't impressed by my hair. :tongue: Or the fact that the arbor vitae branches snagged strands of it.

And you're right, I am a perfectionist, but lol not about hair much. I just want to look presentable. This is the first time in a year (since going chemical free) that I do! I am soooo grateful for this forum! There is something powerful about reclaiming my childhood curls.

And thanks for your kind comments about my hair, it gives me even more confidence now. :) Before, when I didn't have the hang of working with my hair, people looked at my hair kind of funny. And it would change shape if someone looked at it wrong. ;)

Edit: Ah, they give link codes on photo bucket! D'oh! I'll use those. Thanks for the tip.

Another edit: Just wanted to say, you saying to try honey and also, gelatin as a hair gel, was also what inspired me and gave me confidence to try this. You are single handedly responsible for saving my hair, CGsince2002. :)

3A/f/i
    Ok, well, at least you're making some progress now, so that is encouraging, right? ;-)

I'd dare say most hairdressers prefer straight hair because for them it's easier to deal with, probably because they never had the opportunity (even if they're "closet curlies" themselves) to learn how to deal with them effectively. Two of the dumbest things I always complained about is salons insisting shampooing everyone twice, whether the hair was dirty or not, and then using regular combs to try to detangle curly hair, and that's just the start. So if yours at least gives you good cuts, keep her! That is usually pretty difficult for us to find. I've had so many bad cuts in my life I still dread going for a trim (because I've also moved a lot...).

I love cats too but it's hard for me too to accept their natural predatory instinct, so it was cool you were there to rescue the "chippie", hopefully that cat didn't keep stalking him...

I seriously meant what I said about your hair, by your description of it before I know that at least you've made strides in the right direction.

Oh, just read your last comment... I'm humbled by it and very glad my suggestions worked for you. Believe it or not, the reason I joined this forum again (I'd been here for 5 loooooong :confused2: years in the past) was to try to help "newbies" like you with all the experience I gained during that time, so it really makes me feel good to know that I've made a little difference in your hair-related self-confidence !:iconbiggrin:

We curlies need to stick together!

To tell you the truth, after this journey, I've come to the conclusion that most problems with hair (regardless of texture) actually stem from, in part, the cosmetic industry selling people on things they "have" to do. Years ago no one ever shampoo'd. Our ancestors didn't for thousands of years. I suspect that blow drying and sulfates are not great to do constantly for any hair type. I have this thing about nourishing hair…. that you don't want to put things on it just to cover things up…. you want to put things on it that actually deal with the problems head on.

So I posted on the before/after thread for wavies… you can see the difference… having curl, losing it all, getting it back. I love getting my childhood hair back…. to have a piece of my youth as I grow older, it's powerful!

I'm so very glad you helped me out. As any curly knows, having out of control hair can ruin a job interview, date, etc. So your advice has helped more than you could know! I hope to pass on the help too! It's so nice to know we're not alone in the universe. Someday we oughtta have a curly convention where we celebrate the fact that there are many different hair types, and they are all beautiful. Hair doesn't "need" to be changed, blow dried, or flat ironed to please society. Natural textures are beautiful.

3A/f/i
  • Geek_ChicGeek_Chic Posts: 1,275Registered Users Curl Connoisseur
    naturecat wrote: »

To tell you the truth, after this journey, I've come to the conclusion that most problems with hair (regardless of texture) actually stem from, in part, the cosmetic industry selling people on things they "have" to do. Years ago no one ever shampoo'd. Our ancestors didn't for thousands of years. I suspect that blow drying and sulfates are not great to do constantly for any hair type. I have this thing about nourishing hair…. that you don't want to put things on it just to cover things up…. you want to put things on it that actually deal with the problems head on.

So I posted on the before/after thread for wavies… you can see the difference… having curl, losing it all, getting it back. I love getting my childhood hair back…. to have a piece of my youth as I grow older, it's powerful!

I'm so very glad you helped me out. As any curly knows, having out of control hair can ruin a job interview, date, etc. So your advice has helped more than you could know! I hope to pass on the help too! It's so nice to know we're not alone in the universe. Someday we oughtta have a curly convention where we celebrate the fact that there are many different hair types, and they are all beautiful. Hair doesn't "need" to be changed, blow dried, or flat ironed to please society. Natural textures are beautiful.

I was just reading a post on Scott Musgrave's blog where he discussed this very thing. The line that really stuck out to me was this:

"So, my Curl Friend - your hair is not broken"

I'm in a place where I love my hair as it is, but that so resonated with me anyway.
    CG since 11/2011
    2c /3a F /Mii, low porosity

Go To Products /Routine:
    Clarifying: Suave Essentials Strawberry
    Low Poo: Renpure Luxurious Argan Oil
    CO: Suave Essentials Strawberry, V05 Kiwi Lime
    RO /LI: Tresemme Perfectly (un)Done, Cure Care, V05 Kiwi Lime Squeeze, Suave Essentials Strawberry, Renpure Brazilian Keratin (old formula)
    Stylers: LALSG, AIF, HETT, Suave Professionals Firm Control
    PT: IAGirl's as needed

Yes, and God bless the creators of this site so we all can come here and share!

You remind me of... me! :laughing9: It appears you like to spend time pondering on and analyzing things, right? When I first started CG I spent gobs of time repeating to all those who freaked out about using CO instead of shampoo that shampoo was a very new "invention" in the history of humanity. And all the "other" things we do to our hair today are also relatively new but most of us succumb to the pressure exerted upon us driven by a subconscious need to "fit in" and then we pass on those new habits to the new generation, and eventually they become so entrenched that to break the "norm" becomes unthinkable.

At least my daughter did not succumb to dying her hair like I did at much too early an age, but she blow dries her waves straight and still uses 'cones, which has always gotten her lots of compliments because she keeps it pretty long and it's usually very shiny. Some years ago she began wearing it 'natural' to work sometimes, probably inadvertently influenced by watching me wear my curly hair, but it's like at first she didn't even know she had anything other than "straight" hair. And I myself used a (mild) liquid chemical straightener for years, thank goodness I only used it every 6 mo., but looking back I think it was a shame that I felt the "need" for that. Even at this point I'm unwilling to let go of quite a few of those habits even though "in theory" I prefer natural things and health-wise it would probably be better for me. So I think it's great that younger people have this kind of awareness.

I went and "hunted" the thread you mentioned and saw the b4 pics so now I understand. Again, I'm deeply touched by what you said and very glad to have been able to help you. :D And yes, do pay it forward, that has a wonderful "ripple" effect in the world.

I just want to add that 2 nights ago, after going to a very different forum, because of a post there I ended up watching parts of Chris Rock's movie "Good Hair" on Youtube, plus the Tyra Banks' show about it and I felt so sad hearing little girls hating their hair and how they got teased in school by wearing it natural (I also felt very appalled at what some of the Moms did and said...). Even quite recently there was a case like that in a private school, even though I thought the girl's hair's fullness was exaggerated by "picking it out", the school acted terribly inadequately since there was bullying involved. So that's why I "celebrate" whenever any type of "curly" liberates herself from the pressure and embraces her natural hair, whether we're aware of it or not we are setting a valuable example for the generations that are watching us, and that's NO small thing.

Geek_Chic wrote: »
    I was just reading a post on Scott Musgrave's blog where he discussed this very thing. The line that really stuck out to me was this:

I'm in a place where I love my hair as it is, but that so resonated with me anyway.

It was a lovely blog post, thanks for pointing me to it.

3A/f/i

Yes, and God bless the creators of this site so we all can come here and share!

You remind me of... me! :laughing9: It appears you like to spend time pondering on and analyzing things, right? When I first started CG I spent gobs of time repeating to all those who freaked out about using CO instead of shampoo that shampoo was a very new "invention" in the history of humanity. And all the "other" things we do to our hair today are also relatively new but most of us succumb to the pressure exerted upon us driven by a subconscious need to "fit in" and then we pass on those new habits to the new generation, and eventually they become so entrenched that to break the "norm" becomes unthinkable.

I went and "hunted" the thread you mentioned and saw the b4 pics so now I understand. Again, I'm deeply touched by what you said and very glad to have been able to help you. :D And yes, do pay it forward, that has a wonderful "ripple" effect in the world.

I just want to add that 2 nights ago, after going to a very different forum, because of a post there I ended up watching parts of Chris Rock's movie "Good Hair" on Youtube, plus the Tyra Banks' show about it and I felt so sad hearing little girls hating their hair and how they got teased in school by wearing it natural (I also felt very appalled at what some of the Moms did and said...). Even quite recently there was a case like that in a private school, even though I thought the girl's hair's fullness was exaggerated by "picking it out", the school acted terribly inadequately since there was bullying involved. So that's why I "celebrate" whenever any type of "curly" liberates herself from the pressure and embraces her natural hair, whether we're aware of it or not we are setting a valuable example for the generations that are watching us, and that's NO small thing.

Thanks for your post. Thanks for taking the time to check out my before… now you know what I kvetching about. :)

Yes, you're right, I do ponder about things, and my field is actually pretty analytical. We may be IRL twins even if not hair twins… my curl still has a ways to go to match yours.

I've seen Chris Rock's movie. I've seen pieces elsewhere too, about young girls--5 or 7 years old--saying that what is growing on top of their head is "bad" and "needs to be straightened." I felt so sad for them and hoped that they will learn to embrace who they are one day. I'm something of an iconoclast in my field. To be great at it, you cannot be just like everyone else… you have to be better. And that means doing something different. Now I'm extending this philosophy to haircare. There isn't just "one method" of doing something… as the beauty/cosmetic industry can sometimes have you believe. It truly makes me happy when I see women embracing their natural textures.

3A/f/i
    Geek_Chic wrote: »

I read it too, it was very good! Obviously, things are quickly changing and it's exciting... I just wish I could be part of this new "hair revolution"... but maybe it's not too late...

Thanks for your post. Thanks for taking the time to check out my before… now you know what I kvetching about. :)

Yes, you're right, I do ponder about things, and my field is actually pretty analytical. We may be IRL twins even if not hair twins… my curl still has a ways to go to match yours.

I've seen Chris Rock's movie. I've seen pieces elsewhere too, about young girls--5 or 7 years old--saying that what is growing on top of their head is "bad" and "needs to be straightened." I felt so sad for them and hoped that they will learn to embrace who they are one day. I'm something of an iconoclast in my field. To be great at it, you cannot be just like everyone else… you have to be better. And that means doing something different. Now I'm extending this philosophy to haircare. There isn't just "one method" of doing something… as the beauty/cosmetic industry can sometimes have you believe. It truly makes me happy when I see women embracing their natural textures.[/QUOTE]

Over the years I have found several "kindred spirits" of varying ages and in different forums, and it's always a very cool thing! Most of my life I've felt "different" from most people, and, don't get me wrong, for the most part I like it. I realized that from a fairly early age I began doing things to enhance my individuality, to be precisely "different", and the older I got the less I felt like "running with the herd", iykwm, lol! Although I never was remotely a hippie, my son likes to kid around and say "you're a hippie!" whenever I say something he doesn't like or agree with. But come think of it, even though I did not live in the U.S. then, I did grow up during that time so the "vibes" must've rubbed off on me.:laughing9:

I'm also a middle child and those who know about psychology know what I'm talking about. It seems that I always chose a different path than my older sister, and although I was never a rebellious teen, it's in my nature to rebel against things that don't make sense to me. I may not have accomplished some of my dreams in life but one thing I'm proud is that I raised to very good children mostly by myself, they are a lot like me in most of the ways that matter because I tried to encourage them to be independent thinkers and not allow themselves to be too influenced by others. They're both introverts so they do spend a lot of time thinking and observing life and others like their mamma did when she was young. ;-)

Ok, I'm dying to know what is your field... :confused:

My field is in the performing arts. :) Music.

I'm actually the eldest child. I colored inside the lines as a kid. Typical for the eldest. But my parents also raised me to feel secure, and use logic to inform my decisions. Therefore, I am not influenced by gossip, just facts and results. Much like you. I think it's awesome you raised your kids on your own. Not an easy thing to do, even when you have lots of help! Just curious, where'd you grow up? You don't have to answer that if you don't want. But I am curious, if wherever you grew up had more individualistic tendencies. I'd say close to 50% of my friends are originally from somewhere else, and technically I'm a half American (but born here, so consider myself a full one really). I felt a bit different from some of my peers who had fully American families. And come to think of it, quite a number of kids from one of my parent's country had wavy/curly hair. So I consider embracing my texture to be a tribute to my roots. :)

3A/f/i
    Man, our discussion is getting so interesting we may have to move to the "non-hair discussion" or something!

I can't live without music but never got to learn to play an instrument... but they say it's never too late so maybe I'll still challenge myself to do that one of these days, "they" also say that as we age it helps the brain to stay young to always be learning something so that should be my best reason to try it, lol!

I, of course, want to know more about your music but maybe you can PM with all the details. My daughter went back to learning the violin which she began learning in middle school for a short while. I could not afford to get her one nor private lessons after we moved and the other schools had cut out music lessons. :( But after she began working I encouraged her to pursue her "hobbies" so I'm glad that she'd trying again.

I may disappoint you here but although I love to use logic and facts I'm also very intuitive so I arrive to some of my conclusions where there's not enough "research" on some subjects or things that cannot be quite proved because of what my intuition tells me. And the good thing is that I've seen time and again that when I've trusted my "inner sense" time has proven me right, so as I've gotten older I've come to rely more on it.

I grew up in Santo Domingo, capital of the Dominican Republic, which makes me "hispanic" and of mixed heritage, of which I'm actually quite proud of because I believe it makes us see life differently, I'd say with more impartiality than others... My children would be like you, but since their father is Caucasian, people rarely suspect they're "mixed". My daughter actually looks like she could have a little Asian in her, which, that I know of, we don't but that's the "magic" of genetics!

Leave a Comment

BoldItalicStrikethroughOrdered listUnordered list
Emoji
Align leftAlign centerAlign rightToggle HTML viewToggle full pageToggle lights
Drop image/file