Moth proofing question

curlypearlcurlypearl Posts: 12,227Registered Users Curl Connoisseur
The question is: when winter rolls around and I am ready to wear clothes that have had moth crystals on them, do I need to dry clean / hand wash the clothes all over again (I will already have dry cleaned or washed them thoroughly before sealing in plastic containers with moth crystals.)

Please don't try to dissuade me from using the chemicals in the moth crystals, (toxic, etc.). I am willing to take whatever risks are involved and I will also be using cedar blocks in my closets but from what I read, cedar blocks by themselves are insufficient.

Second question: I have a wool rug which I vacuum thoroughly every week. Any suggestions for avoiding carpet beetles? Maybe I will be lucky and never see one! I am phobic about insects.

Thanks for any input!
2/c Coarse hair med. density.
Highly porous. Color over grey.
I love all the Curl Junkie products. Still experimenting with gels and curl creams. Still hoping for 2nd day hair....
Every day is a gift :flower:

Comments

• claudine191claudine191 Posts: 8,221Registered Users Curl Connoisseur
    I can't answer these questions, but just wanted to let you know there's a very funny story about the subject by S.J. Perelman I could send you via MP3 if you're interested.
  • BluebloodBlueblood Posts: 1,748Registered Users Curl Neophyte
    Moth crystals?

I've used soap and moth balls to repell moths.

Moth balls stink so I've washed clothes again to try and get rid of the smell but most of the time it doesn't work.
  • Morgan_AdcockMorgan_Adcock Posts: 2,573Registered Users Curl Neophyte
    I'm a spinner/knitter/weaver, so I'm a bit hyper-vigilant about bugs. Unfortunately DH thinks it's funny that moths follow me around, and he doesn't seem to care if something woolen falls to the floor in a closet or out of the way spot. We've had chats about that but he still doesn't get it even after I explained how much the qiviut hat i spun the yarn for, then knit, had cost in raw materials, just to become a snack for some bug that munched a little here, then a little there, and yet another place as well.

Keeping the carpet clean will help dissuade bugs from moving in and snacking. I'd recommend having it professionally cleaned. The Navajo bury their handwoven rugs in dirt to clean them, but the dirt in NM and AZ is different than most other parts of the country, whereas water is more accessible to most of the rest of us.

I'd recommend washing the other woolens in shampoo. I now pack mine in ziplock bags after cleaning them, microwave them to kill off any bugs, then make sure I seal the bags well. Another option is to pack woolen things in clean, old pillowcases, as wool moths and carpet beettles don't go for cotton, though they might incidentally munch on anything with food spills.

Coming out of mothball storage, I'd do another wash with any unloved shampoo you have.

HTH
    Peace,
    Morgan

Baby Fine 3B, low porosity, normal density and elasticity
    CGing since July 2008
  • PerriPPerriP Posts: 6,613Registered Users Curl Neophyte
    Would food- grade diatomaceous earth work on the carpet? I know it works for other bugs including roaches and fleas
    Modified CG since Dec 2011
    I have a ton of that stuff!^
  • curlypearlcurlypearl Posts: 12,227Registered Users Curl Connoisseur
    Thanks for all the great replies! I knew the curlies would have ideas.

Blueblood, the moth crystals are just chopped up moth balls, sold on Amazon. I'm used to moth balls from when I was a kid and my mom used them. Since surgery I can't smell anything, not even smoke! Silver lining in my cloud.

Morgan, you are funny. I live in NYC in an apt. I don't think there is any earth around here! All concrete. Microwaving sounds good, although my micro is definitely micro. I could maybe fit socks in there. Freezing is supposed to work also. My freezer is also micro (in size).

Perri and Claudine, I have no idea what Food- grade diatomaceous earth is and (groan) not sure what MP3 is either. Anyway, I don't have either.

Ignorance is bliss.
    I love all the Curl Junkie products. Still experimenting with gels and curl creams. Still hoping for 2nd day hair....
    CP, I'll let PerriP. explain the dia. stuff. I'm just going to rub it on my dogs to repel fleas.

An MP3 is an audio file. You would either listen to it on your computer or your iPod. No pressure.(I think you'd like it, though.)
  • PerriPPerriP Posts: 6,613Registered Users Curl Neophyte
    Thanks!

diatomaceous earth is basically ground up microscopic sea shells. You get the food grade kind bc then it's not toxic for pets (there is another kind used in pool filters). It's a very very fine powder and bc it is sea shells, it is sharp on a microscopic level. If a bug crosses paths with it, it cuts their exoskeleton, and that kills them (not immediately). Also, they pick up the dust on their legs/bodies and carry it back with them to any nest, thereby killing the others

i love the stuff

2548660_com_diatom_hg.jpg

cool, right?

diatom01_11-300x300.jpg
    Modified CG since Dec 2011
  • spiderlashes5000spiderlashes5000 Posts: 17,898Registered Users Curl Virtuoso
    Blueblood wrote: »
    Moth crystals?

Moth balls stink so I've washed clothes again to try and get rid of the smell but most of the time it doesn't work.

My mother used to put moth crystals underneath our living room sofa cushions to keep the cat off of the sofa. I don't recall there being any noticeable moth ball smell on the sofa.

I guess they clothes would have to pass a sniff test.

Totally cool, PP.

I love a microscopic image.
    C., definitely send me the MP3 file if you can, or else I'll google S. J. Perelman moths and find it. If you say it's funny, that's good enough for me! :lol:

Pretty pictures, Perri. I'm so horribly mean and brutal (towards bugs) that I got a perverse pleasure out of hearing that the dia earth kills the bugs slooowly. (But I feel guilty that I had that thought).

My sister says a prayer if she steps on an ant by mistake. I scoff and glare at her yelling "Vermin!!!" but I understand.
  • TRBLTRBL Posts: 5,294Registered Users Curl Connoisseur
    curlypearl wrote: »
    I scoff and glare at her yelling "Vermin!!!" but I understand.

I totally want to randomly yell VERMIN now!
    When I grow up, I wanna be a Jiujitsu Turtle!

My british name, courtesy of Ninja Dog Shade Haven-Staffordshire: TRBL Hough Jewelstone Turtleneck

Its chaos a few hairs at a time. ~Minxy

"Dispute not with her: she is lunatic." -Richard III
    We garbled the French word "vermin" into the American "varmint," in case anyone was wondering but was too shy to ask.
    Will do, cp. I'll send you a pm, unless others are interested as well?
    ^^^I'm at work so can't listen to this now, but looking forward to it later today! Great start to the weekend. Thanks, mamacita. (no offense to anyone - she is just mother to all her dogs I expect).

P.S. I love the word varmint! Ha ha.
    TRBL, you are so funny! Go ahead - yell VERMIN at the top of your lungs. What's the worst that could happen? Oy!
    In a law firm? I'm guessing everyone she works for will look up. (Sorry.)
    cp, that version won't work. I sent you the right one via email. I really think you'll like it.

And yes, I am a dog-mom. In fact, I'm thinking of a way to punish Mia right now (she ate something dead—vermin— on walkies).
    ^^^:sign5:

Claudine, tsk tsk tsk - so naughty. So right!
    She is naughty. And she's fast.
    Heh.. The attorneys would look at me oddly.. But I'm just in a corp. legal dept. not a law firm. The general counsel recently caught me dancing in my chair.. They know my crazy

Sent from my Nexus 5 using CurlTalk App

My british name, courtesy of Ninja Dog Shade Haven-Staffordshire: TRBL Hough Jewelstone Turtleneck

• CurlyInTheFogCurlyInTheFog Posts: 876Registered Users
    I have a question about cedar. If you store cleaned woolens in a cedar chest or something similar, is that enough to keep moths out? The interiors of all our bedroom furniture drawers are made from cedar. The smell of moth balls really bothers me, so I can't use those.
    3a/b, F, normal porosity

Suave conditioner, LAL gel
    Fog, I have read that it is not enough to keep out moths. If you can't use moth balls can you pack items in large plastic boxes (like from the Container Store - inexpensive) and seal with some sort of tape? Packing tape is recommended but I don't know what that is.

Since all your clothes are cleaned, I wonder if that isn't already sufficient although I haven't read that.
    Still looking for the best time to yell Vermin!! (or Varmit!!)

Packing tape:
    clear-packing-tape.jpg

Hey there TRBL - I have an idea.

All the

curlies should decide on an international time - and stand up and yell at the top of their lungs:

either
    VERMIN!!!!

or
    VARMINT!!!

An international event - what do you think?

Thanks for the picture of packing tape - who knew?
  • BluebloodBlueblood Posts: 1,748Registered Users Curl Neophyte
    Blueblood wrote: »
    Moth crystals?

My mother used to put moth crystals underneath our living room sofa cushions to keep the cat off of the sofa. I don't recall there being any noticeable moth ball smell on the sofa.

I guess they clothes would have to pass a sniff test.

My mum use to use them to store clothes in old suitcases and the clothes stunk of them. I think she was quite liberal with them as she was afraid of varmint.
  • CGSince2002CGSince2002 Posts: 1,073Banned Users
    When my daughter was getting her clothes chewed by moths I just went to a health food store and bought some dried lavender flowers and then crocheted little sachet pillows that I stuffed with them and she hung them over the top of several hangers and problem solved. The sachets can be made of muslin or tulle, and tied with ribbons so there's no sewing involved.
    Joined Curltalk 1st time in early '02 shortly after starting CG. I'm a non-practicing Cosmetologist.
    Hair: color-treated, mostly 3A.
    CO-wash: VO5 K&L
    RO: SpaHaus Salon w/OO, VO5 Shea Cashmere, W.R. Trop. Coconut, Daily Defense Moisturizing & others.
    LI: Beautiful Curls w/Shea Butter & C.O., Hollywood Beauty OO Creme, VO5 K&L, Aveda Be Curly Curl Enhancer.
    Gels: LAL Wet Look, ORS Lock & Twist.
    Oils: Jojoba, EVCO & Africa's Best Ultimate Herbal Oil

curlypearl wrote: »
    Fog, I have read that it is not enough to keep out moths. If you can't use moth balls can you pack items in large plastic boxes (like from the Container Store - inexpensive) and seal with some sort of tape? Packing tape is recommended but I don't know what that is.

Since all your clothes are cleaned, I wonder if that isn't already sufficient although I haven't read that.

I think it's easier to just let the moths have them and replace when they get holes. Shame on me. :tongue5:
    3a/b, F, normal porosity

Why, when you can get the lavender flowers and run them off???
    Joined Curltalk 1st time in early '02 shortly after starting CG. I'm a non-practicing Cosmetologist.
    RO: SpaHaus Salon w/OO, VO5 Shea Cashmere, W.R. Trop. Coconut, Daily Defense Moisturizing & others.
    LI: Beautiful Curls w/Shea Butter & C.O., Hollywood Beauty OO Creme, VO5 K&L, Aveda Be Curly Curl Enhancer.

Too much lavender is a little nauseating, so I don't really want to store it with clothes. I suppose I could freeze them periodically.
    3a/b, F, normal porosity

I really don't remember the flowers being strong, but if you don't like lavender that's another thing. For years I detested lavender... but it was because the scent brought me bad memories. I guess I eventually got over it because I began liking it again. :smile:

Leave a Comment

BoldItalicStrikethroughOrdered listUnordered list
Emoji
Align leftAlign centerAlign rightToggle HTML viewToggle full pageToggle lights
Drop image/file