Switching rinse-outs made SUCH a difference

BotticelliBritBotticelliBrit Posts: 2,075Registered Users Curl Neophyte
When I first started CG I used the SM Restorative conditioner, however a few months ago (after hearing great things) I switched to TRESemme. I loved my SM conditioner, but it was rather pricey and TRESemme was so cheap PLUS I could get it on the ground.

I've been using TRESemme for the past few months and lately I've not been loving my hair. On a whim, I decided to splurge and buy my SM conditioner again. GUYS. The difference is crazy.

My hair is so much curlier, less frizzy and I get much better 2nd day hair. When I was using TRESemme, I had to start washing my hair every other day, now I'm back using the SM, I get pretty decent 3rd day hair!

It's crazy that I didn't notice how much of a difference the TRESemme was having on my hair.

Has anyone else experienced such cool results with rinse-out conditioners? I didn't know they could have THAT much of an impact, since they're being washed out and all.
3B. Med porosity. Med thickness. Med density.

LP: Shea Moisture (currently JBCO)
Conditioner/CW: Jason Aloe Vera

LI: Aunt Jackie's Curls & Coils Quench
Refreshing: TRESemmé Naturals Aloe Vera & Avocado
Gel: DevaCurl Ultra Defining Gel
DC:
Aunt Jackie's Soft & Sassy Super Duper Softening Conditioner
Treatments: Coconut oil/Coconut milk

UK curly. CG since Oct 2013.
Growing my hair to WL when dry :thumright:

Comments

• CurlyInTheFogCurlyInTheFog Posts: 876Registered Users
    Interestingly, I fairly recently stopped using TN for RO/LI, because I was using the old formula and wanted to find another product before I ran out (I don't like the ingredients in the new formula). After playing around a bit, I settled on YTB. I've made a few other changes as well, mainly in what/how I use gel, but I've noticed that the YTB makes my hair feel better than the TN (and I really liked TN, too!)--more conditioned, moisturized, smoother. I haven't tried it as a leave in because what I'm doing seems to work well.
    3a/b, F, normal porosity

Suave conditioner, LAL gel
  • artemis513artemis513 Posts: 666Registered Users Curl Neophyte
    Yes, I experience this whenever the seasons change, but I'll have the same "aha" or "duh" moment, I guess you can call it. Say I'll get in the habit of deep conditioning more in the winter and use a thicker product and loving my hair, I'll totally not pay any attention to how warm the weather's getting or that the dew point is creeping up and more moisture's in the hair as spring begins. But..."all of a sudden" my staple products will stop working and my hair starts acting weird...and then it hits me! Time to switch to lighter versions of everything. I have to make a point to move all the winter products out of the bathroom and move all the summer ones in, similar to how people pack up their winter clothes :) Otherwise I'm the dark wondering why my hair is acting a fool, lol!

Tresemme Naturals conditioner acts weird in my hair too. I don't find it particularly moisturizing, actually. It's a shame because I know a lot of curlies that live and die by that stuff.
    4a/3c, fine strands, low porosity, medium density
    Last relaxer: Jan 2010 - BC'd: 2/27/11
    My Fotki
    My Blog
  • curlicious13curlicious13 Posts: 1,632Registered Users Curl Neophyte
    I'm finding that about tresemme naturals too. It stinks & it doesn't clean as well as I'd like. I saw an article saying it cleans just as well as as I am cowash. But I find that as I am cowash cleans better. Hell the suave tropical coconut cleans better than tresemme naturals. Won't reuse.
  • BotticelliBritBotticelliBrit Posts: 2,075Registered Users Curl Neophyte
    artemis513 wrote: »
    Tresemme Naturals conditioner acts weird in my hair too. I don't find it particularly moisturizing, actually. It's a shame because I know a lot of curlies that live and die by that stuff.

YES to this! It's definitely not very moisturising at all. I'm noticing how much softer and bouncier / shiny my hair looks now I've switched from it.

I have to say though, TRESemme does have amazing slip.

DC:

I'm finding that about tresemme naturals too. It stinks & it doesn't clean as well as I'd like. I saw an article saying it cleans just as well as as I am cowash. But I find that as I am cowash cleans better. Hell the suave tropical coconut cleans better than tresemme naturals. Won't reuse.

I haven't used it as a co-wash (my hair loves the SM low poo, so I stick with that). Sorry you had such crappy results though! :/

DC:

YES to this! It's definitely not very moisturising at all. I'm noticing how much softer and bouncier / shiny my hair looks now I've switched from it.

I have to say though, TRESemme does have amazing slip.

Since I have discovered Giovanni 2chic Avocado & Olive conditioner, the word "slip" has been redefined, lol. If you think Tresemme has it, you should definitely try this one :)
    My Fotki
    My Blog
    Since I have discovered Giovanni 2chic Avocado & Olive conditioner, the word "slip" has been redefined, lol. If you think Tresemme has it, you should definitely try this one :)

You know, it's weird you mention that because I was looking at that conditioner the other day and umming and ahhing about whether to try it out!

DC:

[QUOTE=artemis513;2276632Since I have discovered Giovanni 2chic Avocado & Olive conditioner, the word "slip" has been redefined, lol. If you think Tresemme has it, you should definitely try this one :)

You know, it's weird you mention that because I was looking at that conditioner the other day and umming and ahhing about whether to try it out![/QUOTE]

Haha, totally get it :)
    My Fotki
    My Blog
  • CurliniCurlini Posts: 258Registered Users Curl Neophyte
    Another factor is that sometimes curls perk up simply by using a different product. In my experience, and I've seen others talk about it here, my hair may stop responding as well to a product I use repeatedly. A lot of us rotate several products for this reason. One possibility is that rotating a few products helps keep a good balance between protein and moisture.
    Glad you're happier with your curls! :smile:
    Medium Texture/Normal Porosity
    Conditioners: Curl Junkie conditioners, Elucence moisture balancing, Darcy's pumpkin seed, Mop Top Daily
    Gels: CJ Pattern Pusha, CJ Curl Queen, UFDCM, Mop Top Curly Custard, KCCC (wish it didn't take so long to dry!), CJ Aloe Fix Lite
    Weekly PT (CJ Repair Me) & DT
    Icequeen method
    CG since Aug. 08, still a lot to learn

[SIGPIC][/SIGPIC]
  • naturecatnaturecat Posts: 1,986Registered Users Curl Neophyte
    Glad your hair is feeling better. What's SM? I recently realized that I need protein in my hair…. since looking for condish that has that high on the ingredients list (right now trying mineral fusion thickening condish), my hair has definitely been curlier and more elastic.

I agree with others, it's nice to alternate. But when you find one that works best, it can be difficult to make yourself switch!

3A/f/i
    Super baby fine hair, low porosity
    Shampoos: SM Fruit Fusion (mostly), Avalon lemon (to clarify). Occasional aloe vera and glycerin to wash.
    Stylers: Intelligent Nutrients Perfect Hold Hairspray
    Treatments: Catnip tea, IA girl's PT, Fermented Rice Water, Catnip Tea, Amla tea, Irish Moss, SS PT
    naturecat wrote: »
    Glad your hair is feeling better. What's SM? I recently realized that I need protein in my hair…. since looking for condish that has that high on the ingredients list (right now trying mineral fusion thickening condish), my hair has definitely been curlier and more elastic.

I agree with others, it's nice to alternate. But when you find one that works best, it can be difficult to make yourself switch!

It's Shea Moisture :) Their stuff has the most wonderful ingredients.

I don't think the conditioner has protein in it, but I know the shampoo (in my siggy) does! The ingredients, if you're interested:

Conditioner - Deionized water, Butyrospermum Parkii (Shea butter)*, Argan Oil, Coconut Oil*, Behentrimonium Chloride, Essential Oil Blend, Vegetable Glycerin, Emulsifying Wax, Sea Kelp Extract, Panthenol (Vitamin B-5), Avocado Oil, Lonicera Caprifolium (Honeysuckle) Flower (and) Lonicera Japonica (Japanese Honeysuckle) Flower Extract, Tocopherol (Vitamin E), Daucus Carota Sativa (Carrot) Seed Oil

Shampoo - Deionized Water, Decyl Glucoside (Coconut Oil), Cocos Nucifera (Coconut) Oil*, Butyrospermum Parkii (Shea Butter)*, Aloe Vera Leaf Juice, Vitamin E, Melia Azadirachta (Neem) Seed Oil, Sodium Lauroyl Lactylate (Coconut Oil), Panthenol (Vitamin B-5), Rosemary Extract, Silk Protein, Proprietary Essential Oil Blend, Guar Gum, Stearic Acid, Lonicera Caprifolium (Honeysuckle) Flower (and) Lonicera Japonica (Japanese Honeysuckle) Flower Extract, Hibiscus Flower Extract
    *Certified Organic Ingredient

I actually wish I never alternated lol. I started off with the SM and loved it, then when I switched to TRESemme my hair started going downhill. Now I've switched back, my curls are looking great again! I'm just going to stick with what works and stop chopping and changing :D

DC:

Leave a Comment

BoldItalicStrikethroughOrdered listUnordered list