The Great Coconut Oil Disaster of 2014

olivthecurlsolivthecurls Posts: 17Registered Users
Hello, hello!

I'm in a bit of a pickle, it seems. I decided to do a hot oil treatment on my hair using coconut oil (I usually stick with olive oil when I do hot oil treatments) and my hair... Well, it's a disaster area. Ever since I did the hot oil treatment with coconut oil, it's been very dry and feels rough and gross, and the frizz has been just... Mind blowing and very irritating. I'm wondering why this is happening! I know that coconut oil helps with proteins - maybe I just have enough protein in my hair to begin with and don't need anymore? Protein overload, anyone?!

So what I'm wondering is, what do I do now? How can I get my pretty hair back to normal, and did I do damage to it by overloading it with protein?

Thanks in advanced,

Olivia

Comments

• BelleBohemienneBelleBohemienne Posts: 375Registered Users Curl Neophyte
    You always need to do a DT right after a PT....have you tried that?
    ~Belle Bohemienne

"If you are depressed you are living in the past. If you are anxious you are living in the future. If you are at peace you are living in the present." -Lao Tzu
  • BotticelliBritBotticelliBrit Posts: 2,075Registered Users Curl Neophyte
    I am almost 100% positive coconut oil is not a protein treatment - I definitely remember reading that somewhere. Also, I've just looked at the Nutritional Info for my coconut oil and it has protein as '0.0g', so there's none in it at all. So I don't think that's the issue.

Coconut is one of the only oils that actually penetrates the hair shaft, so it's meant to be one of the best oils. BUT, that being said, nobody's hair is the same and what works for some people may not work for others. A lot of people don't get on with coconut oil for a variety of reasons, so I'd just say your hair doesn't like it and probably prefers olive oil. No biggie :) just stick to what works for you.

You definitely didn't do any damage by using coconut oil. I'm sure if you just wash your hair (maybe DT, if you're really concerned), everything will go back to normal :)
    3B. Med porosity. Med thickness. Med density.

LP: Shea Moisture (currently JBCO)
    Conditioner/CW: Jason Aloe Vera

LI: Aunt Jackie's Curls & Coils Quench
    Refreshing: TRESemmé Naturals Aloe Vera & Avocado
    Gel: DevaCurl Ultra Defining Gel
    DC:
    Aunt Jackie's Soft & Sassy Super Duper Softening Conditioner
    Treatments: Coconut oil/Coconut milk

UK curly. CG since Oct 2013.
    Growing my hair to WL when dry :thumright:
  • BelleBohemienneBelleBohemienne Posts: 375Registered Users Curl Neophyte
    I've done a little bit of light reading and you're correct that the oil does not contain any protein, it may act like a protein in the hair. I still say do a DT just to be safe.
    ~Belle Bohemienne

"If you are depressed you are living in the past. If you are anxious you are living in the future. If you are at peace you are living in the present." -Lao Tzu
  • curlicious13curlicious13 Posts: 1,632Registered Users Curl Neophyte
    I have coconut oil and can't use it. It gives me migraine headaches. My hair loves it, but my head can't take it. It's good for the hair though.
  • itsKelCeeEeeitsKelCeeEee Posts: 1,084Registered Users Curl Neophyte
    I'm a 4, but it can relate.

My hair loves coconut oil as a moisturizer. Being that it does penetrate the hair so well it doesn't do me any good to use it as an oil treatment because my hair will absorb it and then feel even drier as if I didn't moisturize it in the first place. I do think it's because of its affinity to bind to the protein in the hair; I don't need much (if any) protein so if I use coconut oil too much or to "seal" in moisture it leaves my hair more dry in the long run. The only way I can use it is if I seal it with another oil or underneath a cream or leave in. I also mix it in deep conditioners. I can never use it alone though for an oil treatment. Leaves my hair feeling muffed.

Hope I made any sort of sense!
    tumblr_mfb2v27JpJ1qfxenmo1_250.gif
    Big Chop: 11/25/09
    Cottony/fluffy, medium/coarse, high density & porosity
    SL - APL - BSB - BSL - MBL - WL - HL

Leave a Comment

BoldItalicStrikethroughOrdered listUnordered list
Emoji
Align leftAlign centerAlign rightToggle HTML viewToggle full pageToggle lights
Drop image/file