Does it come as a surprise
That I dance like I've got diamonds
At the meeting of my thighs?

Out of the huts of history's shame
I rise
Up from a past that's rooted in pain
I rise
I'm a black ocean, leaping and wide,
Welling and swelling I bear in the tide.
Leaving behind nights of terror and fear
I rise
Into a daybreak that's wondrously clear
I rise
Bringing the gifts that my ancestors gave,
I am the dream and the hope of the slave.
I rise
I rise
I rise.

Comments

• Fifi.GFifi.G Posts: 15,490Registered Users Curl Neophyte
    I was incredibly sad when I read about her passing and then I thought, perk up damn you! ;) She had an amazing voice and spirit. Wonderful pieces about her have been pouring out of every corner, but I have really enjoyed the ones from Winston Salem.
    When I hear terms like "hipster" I think, who told cliques they could leave high school??

[SIGPIC][/SIGPIC]
  • CSaint407CSaint407 Posts: 30Registered Users
    This is my all time favorite poem. I have been a little sad all day. I feel like I knew her personally.....such an extraordinary spirit that lived an extraordinary life....she was an extraordinary gift to us all! She will be missed greatly but never forgotten.

Sent from my SPH-L720 using CurlTalk App
    3b/a
    Fine Texture
    Medium Density
    Color Treated
    High Porosity
    Medium Long Length
  • pprMACHEheartpprMACHEheart Posts: 1,665Registered Users
    She's one of my inspirations and to hear of her passing this morning was surprising and saddening. May she rest well.
    last relaxer; 082708, BC; 081810, CG; 122410
    high porosity, med/coarse texture, high density, color treated
    condish;TN, DevaCurl Heaven in Hair stylers; Heaven in Hair, DevaCurl Curl Cream oils;Castor Oil

YTChannel: http://www.youtube.com/user/papiermachecurls

s-event.pngs-event.png
  • Morgan_AdcockMorgan_Adcock Posts: 2,573Registered Users Curl Neophyte
    I was very sad to hear of her passing, but glad to hear that she had remained strong until recently, and had all her faculties up till the end.

She was a national treasure.

My son and I were at Bill Clinton's first Inauguration, and lucky enough (after getting up way before the crack of dawn) to be standing in the second row, very close to the podium where Dr. Angelou spoke. When I asked my son, who was 13 at the time, about his impressions of the ceremony, he told me that he knew that it was a _really_ big deal when he heard her read her poem, "On the Pulse of Morning." Up until then, it was just a big deal.
    Peace,
    Morgan

Baby Fine 3B, low porosity, normal density and elasticity
    CGing since July 2008
    She did have that personality that made you feel like her door or arms were always open. It did not matter if she was reading at an engagement, acting on the television or you were looking at her words. She had an ease. I was looking at some of her quotes earlier and smiled when I saw this one.

I've learned that people will forget what you said, people will forget what you did, but people will never forget how you made them feel.
    When I hear terms like "hipster" I think, who told cliques they could leave high school??

[SIGPIC][/SIGPIC]
  • chupiechupie Posts: 5,280Registered Users Curl Connoisseur
    That was my first thought. "We've lost a National Treasure". :(
    2a medium porous, You can see my wavy tutorials here: https://www.youtube.com/playlist?list=PLy8bclCLgER5N_uVYSYZNxhBHSXAW40OQ and my wavy blog is The Wavy Nation http://wavynation.wordpress.com
  • CGSince2002CGSince2002 Posts: 1,073Banned Users
    I read with disbelief a small note online about her passing, don't remember where. Then later I saw it on TV... so I thought with deep sadness "It's true...!" :( I saw her for the first time in the Oprah show many years ago, I liked her words, her composure and dignified demeanor so I admired her ever since. One thing that made me relate to her is that I used to write poetry when I was a child and teen. She was a great example not only for black women but for women in general and, frankly, I wish she'd lived much longer, but her poems and words will live on, and I am grateful for that! RIP Ms. Angelou and thank you so much for all you gave us!
    Joined Curltalk 1st time in early '02 shortly after starting CG. I'm a non-practicing Cosmetologist.
    Hair: color-treated, mostly 3A.
    CO-wash: VO5 K&L
    RO: SpaHaus Salon w/OO, VO5 Shea Cashmere, W.R. Trop. Coconut, Daily Defense Moisturizing & others.
    LI: Beautiful Curls w/Shea Butter & C.O., Hollywood Beauty OO Creme, VO5 K&L, Aveda Be Curly Curl Enhancer.
    Gels: LAL Wet Look, ORS Lock & Twist.
    Oils: Jojoba, EVCO & Africa's Best Ultimate Herbal Oil

• DaniGirl88DaniGirl88 Posts: 1,583Registered Users Curl Neophyte
    She was such an inspiration. I am thankful that she went peacefully though. She will be truly missed!
    [SIGPIC][/SIGPIC]

3B, fine, normal porosity, high density, medium width and length
    Conditioner: Tresemme Naturals, Trader Joe's Tea Tree Tingle
    Co-Wash: As I Am Coconut Co-Wash
    Leave in Products: As I Am Leave-In, SM Smoothie/Milk, KCKT, Giovanni Direct Leave-In
    Air Dry

Looking for new products and methods to try!

• jeepcurlygurljeepcurlygurl Posts: 20,724Registered Users, Curl Ambassador Curl Virtuoso
    I'm not one for poetry but I simply loved her. I saw/heard her at President Clinton's first inauguration and was in awe. : (
    --I'm located in Western PA.   --I found NC in late 2004, CG since February 2005, joined the forums in May 2005, started going grey in late 2005.   --My hair is 3B with some 3A, currently at mid back length when dry,  texture-medium/fine, porosity-top is low, middle is medium, ends are porous, elasticity-normal.   --My long time favorite products are Suave & VO5 conditioners, LA Looks Sport Gel, coconut oil, honey, vinegar.   
    --My CG and grey hair progress -  
    http://www.naturallycurly.com/curltalk/going-gray/179328-jeepys-grey-hair-progress.html   
    --My article at NaturallyCurly about going grey - 
    https://www.naturallycurly.com/curlreading/color/how-i-went-completely-gray-and-loved-it
  • CurlyFelineCurlyFeline Posts: 156Registered Users Curl Neophyte
    I found her through I'll rise supposedly by ben howard. Until someone said it was a poem by maya angelou. To me she was a great inspiration. I find so much strength reading her poems. even though I'm not american. I think she's not widely known in Europe. But I'm glad I do.
    RIP

Sent from my HUAWEI Y300-0100 using CurlTalk App
    3A curly (cherub curls)
    fine, med to low density, rather low porosity
  • FrostiiLoveFrostiiLove Posts: 105Registered Users
    I loooooove me some Dr. Angelou and I refuse to let her go! If any of you have read any of her 7 autobiographies, you know how remarkable this woman truly is. She's been through so much and it only propelled her to great heights. She's been an inspiration to me since I first read phenomenal woman as a little girl. I have many of her works and I'll make sure my daughter reads them because they're so knowledgeable, gritty and most of all empowering! She kept it real and I will forever love her for that.

Blessed home-going to Marguerite Ann Johnson🌹

Phenomenal Woman

Pretty women wonder where my secret lies.
    I'm not cute or built to suit a fashion model's size
    But when I start to tell them,
    They think I'm telling lies.
    I say,
    It's in the reach of my arms
    The span of my hips,
    The stride of my step,
    The curl of my lips.
    I'm a woman
    Phenomenally.
    Phenomenal woman,
    That's me.

I walk into a room
    Just as cool as you please,
    And to a man,
    The fellows stand or
    Fall down on their knees.
    Then they swarm around me,
    A hive of honey bees.
    I say,
    It's the fire in my eyes,
    And the flash of my teeth,
    The swing in my waist,
    And the joy in my feet.
    I'm a woman
    Phenomenally.
    Phenomenal woman,
    That's me.

Men themselves have wondered
    What they see in me.
    They try so much
    But they can't touch
    My inner mystery.
    When I try to show them
    They say they still can't see.
    I say,
    It's in the arch of my back,
    The sun of my smile,
    The ride of my breasts,
    The grace of my style.
    I'm a woman

Phenomenally.
    Phenomenal woman,
    That's me.

Now you understand
    Just why my head's not bowed.
    I don't shout or jump about
    Or have to talk real loud.
    When you see me passing
    It ought to make you proud.
    I say,
    It's in the click of my heels,
    The bend of my hair,
    the palm of my hand,
    The need of my care,
    'Cause I'm a woman
    Phenomenally.
    Phenomenal woman,
    That's me.

Maya Angelou
    ^ I can't like from my app but that is okay because this one always gets LOVE from me.

[SIGPIC][/SIGPIC]
  • rouquinnerouquinne Posts: 13,734Registered Users Curl Connoisseur
    Dr. Angelou was one of the greatest poets/authors ever, not just the 20th century.

her work will always be considered among the classics.
    My blog:

http://labellatestarossa.blogspot.ca/

Little Mother of all the Roaches, President-for-Life of the MAC Harlots!
  • SereneCurlsSereneCurls Posts: 1,145Registered Users Curl Neophyte
    She was an incredible woman who gave the world so much.
    3a, dense, fairly coarse, normal porosity and elasticity, just below shoulder
    Low poo: Giovanni 50 50
    Co-wash: aia, suave coconut, salon care
    R O: Tresume Naturals, gvpcb
    L I: KCKT, gvpcb
    Stylers: cjpp, re : coil, kccc, brhg
    Oils: coconut, argan
    Experimenting with: curls rock amplifier, pantene mousse
  • juanabjuanab Posts: 4,037Registered Users Curl Neophyte
    My heart is heavy. When I read, I Why The Caged Bird Sings, it felt as if she spoke of my pain. It seemed that she knew me. The world was better to have had her in it.

texture - medium/fine, porosity - low/normal, elasticity - normal
    co-wash - NaturelleGrow Coconut Water or Marshmallow Root, Slippery Elm Bark & Blue Malva Cleansing Conditioners
    LI - KCKT mixed w/ SM C & H Curl & Style Milk
    DC - NG Mango & Coconut H2O or Chamomile/Brdck Root
    Gel - SM souffle (winter), KCCC (summer) or CR Naturals Aloe Whipped Butter Gel (year round)
    Sealers - Virgin Coconut Oil, Avocado butter, Aloe butter
    Ayurvedic treatments - Jamila Henna, Sukesh, Aloe Vera Powder, Hibiscus Powder

event.png
  • PerriPPerriP Posts: 6,613Registered Users Curl Neophyte
    I was so sad that both of my co-workers looked at me and said "who? " they're in their mid to late 40s, no excuse for not knowing her.
    Modified CG since Dec 2011
  • curlypearlcurlypearl Posts: 12,227Registered Users Curl Connoisseur
    I read "I Know Why the Caged Bird Sings" and was almost startled by her sensitivity. It made me feel a kind of wonder, amazement, that someone could put those feelings into words so piercingly. RIP beautiful soul.
    2/c Coarse hair med. density.
    Highly porous. Color over grey.
    I love all the Curl Junkie products. Still experimenting with gels and curl creams. Still hoping for 2nd day hair....
    Every day is a gift :flower:
  • koolkurlkoolkurl Posts: 252Registered Users Curl Neophyte
    Here is a lovely tribute to Maya Angelou written by an opinion writer from the NY Times who was inspired and
    deeply impacted by her work and spirit :
    http://www.nytimes.com/2014/05/28/opinion/blow-what-maya-angelou-meant-to-me.html?hp&rref=opinion&_r=0
    I meant to come back to this thread last week. I was watching the news with my mom when they showed clips of her memorial service. My mom said, "I met her in the 80's". I was floored. My mom is a retired social worker and Maya spoke at one of her work conferences. How wonderful is that? She could not remember if it was in Charlotte or Raleigh. She could not remember what she said when she spoke and she could not remember the words of encouragement she gave her when they spoke after the conference. It's been too long ago, but she does remember being completely awe struck and feeling blessed to be in the same room with her.

[SIGPIC][/SIGPIC]

Leave a Comment

BoldItalicStrikethroughOrdered listUnordered list
Emoji
Align leftAlign centerAlign rightToggle HTML viewToggle full pageToggle lights
Drop image/file