Should you treat kinky hair the same as porous hair? And how about PTs?

FimuFimu Posts: 322Registered Users Curl Neophyte

Comments

• BeinDebBeinDeb Posts: 583Registered Users Curl Connoisseur
    AWESOME question...
    Waiting breathlessly for thoughts...
  • lolo918lolo918 Posts: 729Registered Users Curl Neophyte
    I'm not sure but I do know about my experience with my fine textured 3C/4A curls and lots of kinks within my curls/coils. I don't do well with treating my hair as porous hair. I keep saying that I will be getting a hair analysis to say for sure about my hair but when it comes down to it I keep forgetting to collect my hairs (pathetic I know). When I was using oils as sealants or oil heavy products in I think the way you are wondering aloud about I actually had more matting and dryness (less flexibility).

When I started treating my hair like low porosity hair, and took out most of the oils out of my styling regimen my hair began thriving. What also helped me was protein treatments- since the end of November I have increased from a half packet gelatin treatment to a whole packet one, and increased my frequency to 3-4 times a month from once a month. I've tried different ones too within that time but so far the gelatin treatment is my most favorite. However, I also realize that the difference with the protein might also be the benefit to my fine textured hair more so than kinking.

I also feel that I can't live without doing pre-poos every week to week and a half. Most effective ones for my hair seem to be overnight coconut oil ones. I have also done shorter ones (~30minutes or so) with greek yogurt, honey, and olive oil with success. So I can't say that I have eschewed oils completely from my regimen.

I am also very curious of late about the effect of length on this similar topic. For instance, other than protein issues I seem to glean a lot of good advice from the posts of Adthomas on here who has fine textured, tightly curly, and low porous hair like me. It is much longer than mine, with higher density, but I noticed recently that she actually does use small amounts of oil. I've also seen others say they use oil on low porosity hair on their ends but it seems that this is when they have longer hair. So to get to my point finally, what length does this become necessary or most beneficial?
    3C/4A, fine texture, low-medium density, and low porosity
    CG since November 2013.

Pre-Poo: infrequent now, Coconut Oil overnight
    Shampoo: Curls unleashed/for occasional sulfate wash when needed, everlasting sunshine.
    Conditioner: Suave Naturals Everlasting Sunshine and GVP's conditioning balm.
    Styler: iagirl's flaxseed curl cream or gelatin gel/conditioner mix. <3
    PT: iagirl's gelatin treatment 3-4 times a month, with conditioner/honey/avj
  • FimuFimu Posts: 322Registered Users Curl Neophyte
  • kathymackkathymack Posts: 9,999Registered Users Curl Neophyte
    I would treat my hair like the porosity it is whether it's kinky or curly.
    3a (Corkicelli), highlighted, fine, low porosity
    SE PA

HGs: Anything Sevi; Curly Kinks Satin Roots, Curlycue ReNew and Coil Jam; homemade FSG and okra gel; soap bars; UFD Curly Magic; Botanical Spirits Jellies, CJ Repair Me, Aloe Fix
    [SIGPIC][/SIGPIC]
  • BeinDebBeinDeb Posts: 583Registered Users Curl Connoisseur
    Lol! As usual, I'm over thinking things ~ Lovin that K.I.S.S.!!!
    I don't think it's necessarily over thinking things BeinDeb, but opening up a conversation of minds to talk about experiences on something that can be sort of confusing as there are so many different players in the game of figuring out your hair. For example, low po, coarse hair with kinking probably won't need much protein for health but low po fine hair with kinking probably will need quite a bit of protein for health. On the other hand the coarse hair example can probably handle oils where the fine hair example might not be able to.

If I were still new, for instance, I wouldn't understand KathyMack's comment at all. I mean I was clueless when I first came to curltalk- and often had so many questions forming so quickly that I couldn't decide which was my priority to figure out. (Ok so I still often have that problem lols). I had never heard of porosity before that, and when reading such succinct yet not really explaining anything comments were the bane of my existence, lols. If the thread was long I would read through it but usually still not get the understanding I needed. So then I would do a separate thread search or internet search for porosity or whatever term at the time. Only when I did that, most of the searches I got were for things like the water test or others that really didn't seem to help. Even the technical articles I found didn't seem to help me understand what my hair was doing.

The original post made a lot of sense to me in it's asking because: I unknowingly did that in the beginning of my journey now that I look back with 20/20 vision. I thought that with my coily hair I needed oils to help lubricate it. What happens in other parts of life when there is damaging friction happening? You oil at the source of friction- so I oiled my hair since my natural sebum most likely wasn't reaching far down the length of my hairs. Oh my, there has been a lot of misconceptions that have changed since I started this hair journey. It is awesome!
    CG since November 2013.

Shampoo: Curls unleashed/for occasional sulfate wash when needed, everlasting sunshine.
  • hcook5528hcook5528 Posts: 131Registered Users
    Hey! I did get my hair analysis done by Goosefootprints on Etsy (I HIGHLY recommend it!) and she did address this question. It seems like you would work with the kinking in the same way you would work with low-normal porosity hair and coarse hair. For example, I have slightly to moderately coarse hair with some subtle kinking present. For kinking present she recommends using penetrating oils like coconut oil as a pre-shampoo wash and using sealing oils after washing. Also, she suggests leaving the conditioner in your hair instead of washing all of it out and doing an occasional protein treatment. Products with slip and film forming humectants are also helpful. These instructions remain the same regardless of your hair's fiber thickness or porosity.
    Curl Type: mix of 3B and 3C
    Porosity: Low
    Texture: Coarse (medium)
    Kinking Present
    Length: bra strap length or a bit longer

Shampoo: Shea Moisture Jamaican Black Castor Oil and Apple Cider Vinegar Shampoo

Conditioner: RO Shea Moisture Manuka Honey and Mafura Oil Intensive Hydration Conditioner; or sometimes Aussie Moist

Leave-In: Giovanni Direct Leave-In
    Gel: As I Am Curling Jelly
    hcook5528 wrote: »
    Also, she suggests leaving the conditioner in your hair instead of washing all of it out and doing an occasional protein treatment. Products with slip and film forming humectants are also helpful. These instructions remain the same regardless of your hair's fiber thickness or porosity.

Thanks for your reply! :)

If I understood you correctly, a protein treatment (instead of just a rinse-out) can even been done on coarse hair when it's kinky?
  • hcook5528hcook5528 Posts: 131Registered Users
    Fimu wrote: »
    Also, she suggests leaving the conditioner in your hair instead of washing all of it out and doing an occasional protein treatment. Products with slip and film forming humectants are also helpful. These instructions remain the same regardless of your hair's fiber thickness or porosity.

If I understood you correctly, a protein treatment (instead of just a rinse-out) can even been done on coarse hair when it's kinky?

Yep, she just recommended that you be careful with different proteins and test them on strands of hair first. If it makes your hair hard and strawlike then the protein is too strong. With my hair, I add an egg to my deep conditioning treatment and it works great! Haven't tried much else yet though for protein.
    Curl Type: mix of 3B and 3C
    Porosity: Low
    Texture: Coarse (medium)
    Kinking Present
    Length: bra strap length or a bit longer

Shampoo: Shea Moisture Jamaican Black Castor Oil and Apple Cider Vinegar Shampoo

Conditioner: RO Shea Moisture Manuka Honey and Mafura Oil Intensive Hydration Conditioner; or sometimes Aussie Moist

Leave-In: Giovanni Direct Leave-In
    Gel: As I Am Curling Jelly

Yep, she just recommended that you be careful with different proteins and test them on strands of hair first. If it makes your hair hard and strawlike then the protein is too strong. With my hair, I add an egg to my deep conditioning treatment and it works great! Haven't tried much else yet though for protein.
    I wholeheartedly agree with most of what you said, hcook. The content will be the same regardless of strand thickness or porosity yes. Where I stray from agreement is that frequency (well making general statements) will differ based on those things. For the slip factor, and humectant information coupled with kinking generalizations this I also agree with hands down. For instance with disagreeing with PT use, I'm not as frizz/tangle free with only occasional PT's on my own hair. Then again my hair is mainly fine textured with kinking (based on my curls that change direction like a messed up telephone cord but mostly stay coiled). Then there are people with next to being identical properties to me who don't do well with the same frequency of PT's as me. It's mind blowingly amazing to see that kind of individuality.

So to provide an explanation where my brain is coming from, fine textured hair is smaller in diameter meaning that before any manipulation of styling, washing etc happens, it starts with less protein. So in the grand scheme of things tends to need more protein added, but this won't be true for all fine haired ladies every time. Coarse textured hair is larger in diameter so it starts with more protein and doesn't tend to need to add more protein; on top of that there might be research to prove proteins don't need to be as small but I could be really wrong. I would think due to a smaller diameter fine hair would need smaller proteins (hydrolyzed) because of its smaller diameter but this at this point is speculation based out of my science knowledge. This also takes this thread to a more technical level that may or may not matter to Fimu, the OP. However, I will admit that I'm thoroughly enjoying trying to process and compile all of this information.
    CG since November 2013.

• artemis513artemis513 Posts: 666Registered Users Curl Neophyte
    This is a really good question. I really enjoy seeing thoughtful threads like this pop up, pretty much because these are the kinds of questions I asked myself when trying to figure out my hair years ago. I never found anyone who had hair like mine so I did a lot of searching and writing in a journal based on hair science books and online articles I would come across.

Here's the thought process that I went through to help me figure it out--our hair isn't the same but maybe there will be some kind of takeaway in this for you.

Spectrum analysis (my own labeling lol)
    *Hair strand size: Fine hair needs more protein and water than Coarse (needs more water and oil). Normal/medium hair is in the middle and needs a balance.

*Highly porous hair needs more protein and oil than nonporous/low (needs more water). Normal porosity: again needs a balance

*Kinkier textures (tighter curls/strands with torsion) need more oil than non-kinky textures (needs more water). This is because scalp sebum has a more challenge travel path down the length of the hair and in some instances never reach the ends. Density, strand size, and length also plays a part in how much oil is needed.

Based on all those factors, answering your question: yes and no. It depends.

As my example: I have fine, low porosity kinky hair that curls/coils--there's that torsion that is present as noted in the link you shared. A characteristic of the kinky hair and the torsion that exists, there is a little bit more protein in my hair compared to someone who's also fine who doesn't have that. Some older hair journals and care articles from decades ago refer to it a 'wiry' hair type (which could be fine, medium or coarse, too). It makes the hair strands feel a little denser, though the strand itself is still very small/thin in diameter. Quite resistant/resilient yet very fragile if left dehydrated. The natural proteins in hair have an affinity for water, so I can rinse my hair very often my hair just gets better and better (stronger, esp). When the hydration level is optimal, nonporous hair does not suffer from moisture loss; all that's needed is oil/sebum to maintain hair pliability and tensile strength.

So while I do need protein regularly I have to be careful about when and how much. I use CJ Curl Fix 1x/week, a moderate amount of protein that's balanced with lightweight emollients that addresses both the kinkiness and fine nature of the strands. If my hair were high porosity, I would use something stronger instead (CJ Repair Me). Also, thick oils like castor are a no-go, but I can apply as much almond or apricot oil as I want on dried hair in-between washes without the worry of feeling greasy or crunchy.

You have to look at all the characteristics of your hair to determine needs.This is probably all over the place, but I hope something in my ramble helps you figure out what you should do for your individual situation.

Also, I would highly recommend you get the LiveCurlyLiveFree ebook. Someone in another thread said it's an advanced expansion of the Curly Girl Handbook and I really agree with that. A must-read.
    4a/3c, fine strands, low porosity, medium density
    Last relaxer: Jan 2010 - BC'd: 2/27/11
    My Fotki
    My Blog
    I also want to add that the most wiry sections of my hair were also the straightest (I mean more crinkly, less curly) sections. I have not straightened my hair or used heat since I before I went natural so I knew it was not heat damaged hair. Once I increased my hair's hydration levels (by rinsing more often and using more conditioner), those sections curled right up and significantly increased the consistency in curl pattern all over. In the off chances my hydration is lower (due to laziness or product experimentation gone wrong), I can tell because those section straighten out again, but go back to their happy state once I put some moisture back in.
    My Fotki
    My Blog
    Wow artemis, you are becoming one of my hair heros. I love your posts because of the organization and information content! I'm also starting to think you might be my hair twin.

Thank you for taking the time to post!
    Sent from my SCH-I200 using CurlTalk App
    CG since November 2013.

• CurlyShorty3405CurlyShorty3405 Posts: 196Registered Users
    Thank you for your replies! :)
    The kinkyness explains why my hair likes oils.
    For protein rinse-outs I use hydrolyzed keratin. Is that a strong protein?
    But trying a treatment on individual strand is a good test in advance, so thanx. :)

Hair is 80% keratin. So yes, hydrolyzed keratin is a strong protein, and good to use on your hair.
    2B-2C Density-Medium/High Width-medium Length-Medium

LoPoo: Onesta Hydrating Shampoo
    CoWash: LP Curl Conditioning Wash
    ROs: Onesta Hydrating Conditioner, LP Curl Detangling Rinse
    Weekly DC: LP Restore Mask Treatment
    Leave in: LP Restore Targeted Repair Cream
    Stylers: (in application order): LP Prime Style Extender Cream, LI, LP Curl Defining Style Cream, LP No Frizz Weightless Styling Spray, LP PHD Night Cap
    Sealer: Body Shop Olive Oil/Body Shop Argan Oil/Josie Maran Argan Oil
  • CurlyShorty3405CurlyShorty3405 Posts: 196Registered Users
    Thank you for your replies! :)
    The kinkyness explains why my hair likes oils.
    For protein rinse-outs I use hydrolyzed keratin. Is that a strong protein?
    But trying a treatment on individual strand is a good test in advance, so thanx. :)

Hair is 80% keratin. So yes, hydrolyzed keratin is a strong protein, and good to use on your hair.

Thanks for the clarification. Then I will give a PT a try, even though I don't know my thickness yet.
    If a PT works for me, how often can I do a treatment? Every 6 weeks?

I don't know how often you can do a treatment. But when looking for products, look at the list of ingredients and see if hydrolyzed keratin is one of the ingredients. The Paul Mitchell Awapuhi Wild Ginger Keratin Cream Rinse (Rinse Out Conditioner) has keratin, hydrolyzed keratin and oxidized keratin.
    2B-2C Density-Medium/High Width-medium Length-Medium

LoPoo: Onesta Hydrating Shampoo
    CoWash: LP Curl Conditioning Wash
    ROs: Onesta Hydrating Conditioner, LP Curl Detangling Rinse
    Weekly DC: LP Restore Mask Treatment
    Leave in: LP Restore Targeted Repair Cream
    Stylers: (in application order): LP Prime Style Extender Cream, LI, LP Curl Defining Style Cream, LP No Frizz Weightless Styling Spray, LP PHD Night Cap
    Sealer: Body Shop Olive Oil/Body Shop Argan Oil/Josie Maran Argan Oil
    Thanks for the clarification. Then I will give a PT a try, even though I don't know my thickness yet.
    If a PT works for me, how often can I do a treatment? Every 6 weeks?

How often you need to use protein will depend on the state of your hair. I realize we throw the term "protein treatment" around quite a bit, but please understand that there are varying levels. From a cosmetology standpoint a "protein treatment" will mean a strong treatment for use on very damaged hair and cannot be done more than every 6-8 weeks depending on the level of damage (these are the kind that need to be followed with a moisture treatment).

There are also reconstructors, which can be used more often, but also they are intended for hair that is compromised often and regularly. If they are used on the intended hair type, they should not need a moisture treatment following them. If you do, you didn't need that level of strengthening at that time. These are generally used every 2-4 weeks depending on need.

If your hair is generally healthy you should look for a deep treatment that contains hydrolyzed proteins. Some will either say "moisture treatment" or "deep conditioner" and contain hydrolyzed proteins plus hydrating/moisturizing ingredients So the product will have balance moisture and protein, you can use it frequently to maintain and you won't have to worry. This is why I mentioned Curl Junkie Curl Fix -- top of the line "one & done" type of product. You can even use it as a leave-in conditioner so that can save time too.

Just to clarify - there are different types of proteins out there. Keratin is the strongest and is great for those who need the added strength, but if you already have sturdy strands (which I was saying I have despite being fine) I tend to go for hydrolyzed vegetable proteins, such as wheat, soy, corn, etc. Those give me the added strength without being too much. And they don't build up on the hair they way keratin can (which is what it is supposed to do and is great for very porous hair).

Does this help?
    My Fotki
    My Blog
    Thank you for your clarification, Artemis :). I may have porous/damaged parts, so I guess hydrolyzed keratin can be useful in the kinky case? despite I don't know my thickness yet.

And which products/oils does one use during the moisturizing treatment? Just a deep conditioner + sealant? And how many mins or hours does a treatment take?

Note: CJ isn't available in my country so I have to look for local alternatives.

Sorry I was not suggesting adding oils to a deep treatment, though I suppose you could do that. I do not, so I don't have ideas regarding that. I was just describing what ingredients to look for in a product you might use. You kind of already know what your hair might like, so I was just trying to build on that without getting too specific. If you look up the ingredients for Curl Fix, you can see an example of how a well-formulated ingredients list should look. I would check the lines that you have available to you and see what looks similar based on ingredients. That's how I was able to figure what worked for me. I actually do that with all my products. If I use something and like it I go searching for other brands that are formulated similarly and usually I am on the mark and have a few staples in case a company decides they want to discontinue something.

If I were you, I would start using it 1x/week on clean hair for 15-20 min and see how your hair does. You may prefer using a plastic cap or not, up to you. After a few tries, you should be able to tell if you need to do it more or less. It's really about trial and error.

Edit: Does your country have L'anza?
    My Fotki
    My Blog
    artemis513 wrote: »
    If I were you, I would start using it 1x/week on clean hair for 15-20 min and see how your hair does. You may prefer using a plastic cap or not, up to you. After a few tries, you should be able to tell if you need to do it more or less. It's really about trial and error.

Edit: Does your country have L'anza?

Thank you for your suggestion on how to try out a PT. Do you mean with "clean hair" low-poo'd hair, or also just co-washed?

I think L'anza is on ground available in some hair salons. Which products of that brand do you suggest?

"Clean" means whatever means clean for your hair.

L'anza has a product called "Hair Repair Reconstructor". I used to use that before I found Curl Junkie and liked it quite a bit. Check the ingredients and see if it might be something your hair might like. They also make a Leave-in Conditioner in the daily care line that I liked and would rotate with my other non-protein leave-in. Both products are suitable for the CG regimen.
    My Fotki
    My Blog
    Update:

During my recent wash-n-go I did a no-heat PT of 20-25 mins with hydrolyzed keratin, but my curls came out very loose/stretched (which I don't mind), but not straw-like.
    However, when I did just protein rinse-outs of about 5 mins, my curls became tighter (and used the same LI and sealant as recently).

So what does that weighing down mean? Is keratin too strong for me to use as PT?

It doesn't mean that your hair doesn't like keratin protein. It just means that the your hair did not need the product you used, and the way you used it at this time.
    My Fotki
    My Blog
  • Geek_ChicGeek_Chic Posts: 1,275Registered Users Curl Connoisseur
    Update:

During my recent wash-n-go I did a no-heat PT of 20-25 mins with hydrolyzed keratin, but my curls came out very loose/stretched (which I don't mind), but not straw-like.
    However, when I did just protein rinse-outs of about 5 mins, my curls became tighter (and used the same LI and sealant as recently).

So what does that weighing down mean? Is keratin too strong for me to use as PT?

What kind of protein is in your protein rinse out? If it isn't hydrolyzed keratin, that may be your answer, or at least part of it. Different sized proteins do different things for hair. For instance, hydrolyzed keratin will absorb into the hair shaft, while hydrolyzed wheat (much heavier) tends to coat the outside.

These blog posts may be helpful:

Science-y Hair Blog: Mysteries of Hydrolyzed Proteins

Science-y Hair Blog: More About Protein - This one has a handy table about which amino acids (found in hair) are present in various proteins. I use both hydrolyzed keratin and gelatin (partially hydrolyzed collagen) when I pt for a bigger range of amino acids than just keratin alone.

Another possibility, as Artemis mentioned... you may not have needed a pt right now, or may not have needed one for that length of time. Or something besides the protein in your pt may not have agreed with your hair.
    CG since 11/2011
    2c /3a F /Mii, low porosity

Go To Products /Routine:
    Clarifying: Suave Essentials Strawberry
    Low Poo: Renpure Luxurious Argan Oil
    CO: Suave Essentials Strawberry, V05 Kiwi Lime
    RO /LI: Tresemme Perfectly (un)Done, Cure Care, V05 Kiwi Lime Squeeze, Suave Essentials Strawberry, Renpure Brazilian Keratin (old formula)
    Stylers: LALSG, AIF, HETT, Suave Professionals Firm Control
    PT: IAGirl's as needed
    I have fine hair with some kinking in the length. Where there are kinks along my length it feels rough but where its just coily/curly its silky and smooth.

In general though, even when I have a conditioner with not much slip my hair is still pretty slippery.

Sent from my SCH-I200 using CurlTalk App
    CG since November 2013.

Leave a Comment

BoldItalicStrikethroughOrdered listUnordered list
Emoji
Align leftAlign centerAlign rightToggle HTML viewToggle full pageToggle lights
Drop image/file