:( bad hair cut

Well, even though I went to the same stylist that I loved last time (at a salon that only cuts curly hair), I am so unhappy. I went in for literally no more than a trim and I was super happy with the length I was getting. She cut more than 2 inches off and it is EXTREMELY short. It's completely uneven and I had to fix the cut when I got home because there was one long curl in the back and the sides were uneven. I can't even put it in a ponytail without a million bobby pins. I might as well have big chopped.

I'm wondering if anyone can help me with styling tips. Now, the products i use don't work for my hair. If I use my KCCC with a leave-in and don't use a lot, then my hair is too soft and gets puffy and the curls don't stay defined. If I put it in a ponytail now the curls ruin and I can't get it curl back again. If I use more then I find that I can't scrunch out the crunch it just feels awful. When I left the salon, whatever products she used made my hair feel sticky and like hay. It looked terrible and felt terrible. Now, I can't figure it out and cant' even put my hair up in a pineapple at night. It won't air dry nicely and now I'm forced to use the diffuser and I'm still not happy with it.

Any help is appreciated.
Curl Type: mix of 3B and 3C
Porosity: Low
Texture: Coarse (medium)
Kinking Present
Length: bra strap length or a bit longer

Shampoo: Shea Moisture Jamaican Black Castor Oil and Apple Cider Vinegar Shampoo

Conditioner: RO Shea Moisture Manuka Honey and Mafura Oil Intensive Hydration Conditioner; or sometimes Aussie Moist

Leave-In: Giovanni Direct Leave-In
Gel: As I Am Curling Jelly

Comments

• lolo918lolo918 Posts: 729Registered Users Curl Neophyte
    My hair did this when I really did plan on doing my last mini-big chop. It was just so curly that it went really short and I lost my ponytail (I couldn't even fit my curls under my trusty hat). I don't know if that is the problem you're having though, so I'll try to keep this short with all the thoughts going through my head right now.

After the sticky hay feeling, did you try to do a clarifying wash? That might help with your products not seeming to work if you haven't. I hate when I go to stylists and come out with hair feeling that way. I'm so sorry!

I can't remember if I knew what kind of climate you were in, but if it's like my area has been it's been stuffy yet not raining. I've been having some frizziness issues that I'm trying to sort out whether or not they are from me not remembering to do a PT or if I need to change a product for summer.

As for styling- are you ok with giving order to the front and letting the back kind of do it's own thing? If so you could braid or flat twist a headband or two strips of hair across the front of your head.

You could also look into stretching your curls without heat to show more length- this one seems to be a love or hate option. Up until my longest lengths of hair got about collarbone length when stretched I couldn't stand the way my curls looked stretched out with things like putting in twists or braids. I do like finger coils- they allow me to show some length and give uniform curls all over. It usually holds up over a few days, just like my wash and go.
    3C/4A, fine texture, low-medium density, and low porosity
    CG since November 2013.

Pre-Poo: infrequent now, Coconut Oil overnight
    Shampoo: Curls unleashed/for occasional sulfate wash when needed, everlasting sunshine.
    Conditioner: Suave Naturals Everlasting Sunshine and GVP's conditioning balm.
    Styler: iagirl's flaxseed curl cream or gelatin gel/conditioner mix. <3
    PT: iagirl's gelatin treatment 3-4 times a month, with conditioner/honey/avj
  • BelleBohemienneBelleBohemienne Posts: 375Registered Users Curl Neophyte
    I have had so many bad cuts it's ridiculous! I've been really short and I've had really long hair and have had many bad haircuts in between. Some cuts I did myself and others done by "professionals." Don't worry, hair always grows back.

Now you're back in the experimental stage. The products you use should still work for your hair because even though your hair is shorter, its properties didn't change. I would clarify and DT and start fresh. Try using smaller amounts of the products and see if that works.

As far as styles, when my hair was short I usually let it down or attempted pony tails at the nape. Bobbies will be your new best friend so stock up. And try big hair clips or chopsticks if you can. My hair just grazes my shoulders curly and I use chopsticks to keep it up.
    ~Belle Bohemienne

"If you are depressed you are living in the past. If you are anxious you are living in the future. If you are at peace you are living in the present." -Lao Tzu
  • FlaCamperFlaCamper Posts: 27Registered Users
    A clarifying wash is probably a good idea like the other poster said. If it feels like hay, maybe a deep conditioner would help? Maybe whatever she used contained something drying and/or more protein than your hair prefers.

I went through a similar mess back at the end of December. Both my recent (good) stylists had moved away and so I had to try someone new. There are no "curly" salons around here but I guess that's still not a guarantee. My "trim" ended up not even touching my shoulders and it was very heavy in some places and felt thinner in others. My curls were totally gone and the waves were barely there. It was HORRIBLE.

I went to someone else and had them debulk the couple of areas the first lady left so heavy. I said not to remove ANY length or "fix" anything else... You could try and find someone to make tiny adjustments to make it more bearable, but of course the big risk there is you end up in the chair of another scissor-happy type.

After that I just used it as an opportunity to kind of start over with CG in hopes of it growing back in healthily.
    Living in Florida with the rockets and the alligators! :sunny:

2b/2c/3a, fine, low/normal porosity
    Shampoo: Giovanni Tea Tree Triple Threat
    RO: Suave Naturals Coconut or SM Smooth&Repair (if I use RO at all.)
    LI: It's a 10 (contains cones, but I clarify now and then)
    Styling: GF Curl Shaping Gel

*Fair warning... This regimen does not seem to work quite right!*
  • hcook5528hcook5528 Posts: 131Registered Users
    Thanks everyone! I appreciate all the feedback as always :)
    Curl Type: mix of 3B and 3C
    Porosity: Low
    Texture: Coarse (medium)
    Kinking Present
    Length: bra strap length or a bit longer

Shampoo: Shea Moisture Jamaican Black Castor Oil and Apple Cider Vinegar Shampoo

Conditioner: RO Shea Moisture Manuka Honey and Mafura Oil Intensive Hydration Conditioner; or sometimes Aussie Moist

Leave-In: Giovanni Direct Leave-In
    Gel: As I Am Curling Jelly

Leave a Comment

BoldItalicStrikethroughOrdered listUnordered list
Emoji
Align leftAlign centerAlign rightToggle HTML viewToggle full pageToggle lights
Drop image/file