CurlTalk

Porous Curlies, What is your High Dew Point Regimen?

sheilacurlsheilacurl Posts: 1,240Registered Users
I've been doing the CG method since 2009 and I've never stopped learning new things! If you have any high dew point product recommendations, techniques, tips or tricks, please share them here.

Do you find you still need to use a leave-in conditioner under stylers? Less or More? Are you sealing your hair with an oil and if you are, which one(s) are you using? Can you use any stylers or leave-ins with glycerin without issues? Are you doing more protein treatments now? Do you have any pointers for fighting humidity induced frizz?

Thanks! :glasses8:
Upper Michigan Dews
3a ~ Fine ~ High Porosity ~ Normal Density

NoPoo: JC Cleansing Cream
Rinse Outs: SS:PRT, CJ Repair Me, CJ Argan
Detangler: KCKT
Leave-in: CJ Repair me
Stylers: UFDCM, BRHG
Refreshers: Batiste (dry shampoo) on the roots & UFDCM everywhere else

iHerb Discount Code: SAF007

Comments

• FimuFimu Posts: 322Registered Users
  • CGSince2002CGSince2002 Posts: 1,073Banned Users
    In all the years I lived in S. Florida, which is hot and humid for at least 8 months of the year, what saved me from frizz was using less oil and my trusted LALWL gel. I had it on when I arrived there one month ago and, man, that hot and heavy air hit my lungs so strongly I had to catch my breath... but my hair held on! :thumbup:
    Joined Curltalk 1st time in early '02 shortly after starting CG. I'm a non-practicing Cosmetologist.
    Hair: color-treated, mostly 3A.
    CO-wash: VO5 K&L
    RO: SpaHaus Salon w/OO, VO5 Shea Cashmere, W.R. Trop. Coconut, Daily Defense Moisturizing & others.
    LI: Beautiful Curls w/Shea Butter & C.O., Hollywood Beauty OO Creme, VO5 K&L, Aveda Be Curly Curl Enhancer.
    Gels: LAL Wet Look, ORS Lock & Twist.
    Oils: Jojoba, EVCO & Africa's Best Ultimate Herbal Oil

• KaZenner1990KaZenner1990 Posts: 859Registered Users
    Ahhh I don't seem to have high dews as my humidity is only 19% so far.

Sent from my GT-I9000 using CurlTalk App
    2C/3A Botticelli/Corkicelli.Growing out color/heat damage
    M/C, Low/Medium/High Por, Normal Elast. Medium Density
    LP: INSIGHT DAMAGED HAIR Restructurizing Shampoo
    CO: Generic protein conditioner, Hair Academy Deep Cleansing CO
    DET/RO/LI: GNC Avocado And Shea Butter Conditioner +/mask,
    Styler: Schwarzkopf Taft Fixing GelWellaflex Instant Volume Boost Mousse
    DT: EVOO, C.O
    HG
    Goal: WL when curly
    CG since Feb 2014
  • JimipeJimipe Posts: 276Registered Users
    @KaZenner, you need to check the dew points rather than the relative humidity. We've had dew points far above 70 F around here lately.
    CG since 8th of September 2013 - learning in progress!

3a/m/iii - waist length wet
    Cleanser: Naturelle Volumizing
    Conditioner/LI: Garnier Respons Avocadooil and Shea Butter, Schwarzkopf Gliss Ultimate Volume Conditioner
    Styling: Eldorado Hairgel Strong
    Jimipe wrote: »
    @KaZenner, you need to check the dew points rather than the relative humidity. We've had dew points far above 70 F around here lately.

But dew isn't calculated by temperature and humidity percentage??? High humidity and high temperature means high dew point.

ETA: My dew point has been low on slightly entering mid range but today we have a likelyhood of rain so stats has changed to temp: 77 humidity: 43 and dews in 54. My hair has started to seem oily. Others like rain. My roots become flat if rain touches my head. Go figure!

HG
    CG since Feb 2014
    Dews are a combination of temperature and relative humidity, yes. But a low humidity and a high temperature can still give fairly high dew points. Also, remember if you are looking at celsuis or fahrenheit...

Conditioner/LI: Garnier Respons Avocadooil and Shea Butter, Schwarzkopf Gliss Ultimate Volume Conditioner
    Dews are a combination of temperature and relative humidity, yes. But a low humidity and a high temperature can still give fairly high dew points. Also, remember if you are looking at celsuis or fahrenheit...

Really? I though low humidity meant low dew point!

HG
    CG since Feb 2014
    Well, yes and no. My favourite: Dew Point Calculator (both F and C and you can convert).

• Geek_ChicGeek_Chic Posts: 1,255Registered Users
    @KAZenner1990 - Humidity and dewpoint both refer to moisture, but they aren't the same thing. In simplest terms, humidity is a measure of the amount of moisture in the air. Dewpoint is the temperature at which the moisture contained in the air will condense and fall to the ground either as dew or fog.

The past few weeks I've had comfortable temps /high humidity /high dews, comfortable temps /midrange humidity /high dews, high temps /humidity /dews, cool temps (59F) /high humidity /optimal dews, and even high temps /comfortable humidity /optimal dews. If you're interested, I can pull the actual numbers and post if it'd be helpful.

This blog post is an excellent explanation about dewpoints, humidity, the difference between the two, and how they relate to haircare. This article on nc.com is also excellent, though a bit more complicated: The 411 On Dew Points & Humectants . A quick place to find dewpoint, temp. and humidity is the Frizz Forecast here on nc.com, but don't go by the product recs there as they are inaccurate. Instead, use the recommendations in either article I linked.
    CG since 11/2011
    2c /3a F /Mii, low porosity

Go To Products /Routine:
    Clarifying: Suave Essentials Strawberry
    Low Poo: Renpure Luxurious Argan Oil
    CO: Suave Essentials Strawberry, V05 Kiwi Lime
    RO /LI: Tresemme Perfectly (un)Done, Cure Care, V05 Kiwi Lime Squeeze, Suave Essentials Strawberry, Renpure Brazilian Keratin (old formula)
    Stylers: LALSG, AIF, HETT, Suave Professionals Firm Control
    PT: IAGirl's as needed
    Geek_Chic wrote: »
    @KAZenner1990 - Humidity and dewpoint both refer to moisture, but they aren't the same thing. In simplest terms, humidity is a measure of the amount of moisture in the air. Dewpoint is the temperature at which the moisture contained in the air will condense and fall to the ground either as dew or fog.

The past few weeks I've had comfortable temps /high humidity /high dews, comfortable temps /midrange humidity /high dews, high temps /humidity /dews, cool temps (59F) /high humidity /optimal dews, and even high temps /comfortable humidity /optimal dews. If you're interested, I can pull the actual numbers and post if it'd be helpful.

This blog post is an excellent explanation about dewpoints, humidity, the difference between the two, and how they relate to haircare. This article on nc.com is also excellent, though a bit more complicated: The 411 On Dew Points & Humectants . A quick place to find dewpoint, temp. and humidity is the Frizz Forecast here on nc.com, but don't go by the product recs there as they are inaccurate. Instead, use the recommendations in either article I linked.

That actually means you never know your dews until you check lol. I know the difference between them but I thought I could.calculate dews from temp.

HG
    CG since Feb 2014
    Geek_Chic wrote: »

That actually means you never know your dews until you check lol. I know the difference between them but I thought I could.calculate dews from temp.

Oh, sorry about that. You can calculate dewpoints if you know the temperature and humidity, but it takes algebra. This page discusses that: How to Calculate Dew Point Using a Dew Point Humidity Formula or Psychrometric Chart. This page will do the calculation for you in either Fahrenheit or Celsius: Temperature, Dewpoint, and Relative Humidity Calculator. I'm not really a math person, so personally, I don't want to have to do daily algebra to decide what to do with my hair. I highly prefer just checking the Frizz Forecast (I use the 5 day to get a daily average) to check on dewpoint.
    CG since 11/2011

Go To Products /Routine:
    RO /LI: Tresemme Perfectly (un)Done, Cure Care, V05 Kiwi Lime Squeeze, Suave Essentials Strawberry, Renpure Brazilian Keratin (old formula)
  • SpiralHamSpiralHam Posts: 477Registered Users
    I usually check the Frizz Forecast a lot to see what my poor-ous hair will be wanting that day... But something didn't seem right this week (it felt like more normal dews when the forecast was predicting high dews!).

This week at least, Frizz Forecast was predicting completely different dew points than forecast.weather.gov (NOAA's site), at least for my region. Just an FYI.
    Smorgasbord of finer, porous 2a-3a; straight underlayer

:thumbleft: collagen
    :thumbdown: humectants outside of optimal dews, PVP, oils/butters, anything remotely comedogenic

poos: Giovanni TTT, WF365FF, Suave Clarifying
    condishes: VO5 VMT, KLS; IonEC
    stylers: FSG, 4NSBCC, VolumaxMega, AIF, GFPC

Mod CG since 11/2012. My waves occasionally look best when combed out, so you can pry my combs from my cold, dead hands :laughing6:
    Fimu wrote: »
    I use the Android app (not the widget) AccuWeather to check the humidity and dews at the moment.

I do too but my hair reacts so weirdly!! It shows midrange dew point and I have so damn frizz >.<
    HG
    CG since Feb 2014
    Fimu wrote: »
    I do too but my hair reacts so weirdly!! It shows midrange dew point and I have so damn frizz >.
    My hair also frizzed once during a normal dew (11 ºC), but I had frizz on that day because the humidity was over 90%.

So maybe your hair reacts more quickly on solely humidity than high dews?

Right now we have dew point 40-60 range and 31% humidity. I haven't done a pre poo treatment for quite awhile. Maybe I should try that before cleansing.

HG
    CG since Feb 2014
    For me if the dews go over 50 I start to get high-dew frizz... I read somewhere that the more porous you are, the lower the "ultimate curls" range are, as your hair is more sensitive to the moisture in the air.

For me if the dews go over 50 I start to get high-dew frizz... I read somewhere that the more porous you are, the lower the "ultimate curls" range are, as your hair is more sensitive to the moisture in the air.

You know that would.made indeed sense.because my hair.was so cooperative on 30-40 range. And what do.you do about that frizz??

HG
    CG since Feb 2014

You know that would.made indeed sense.because my hair.was so cooperative on 30-40 range. And what do.you do about that frizz??

Jimpie's right. I have heard that more porous curlies can start reacting to dewpoints as low as 50 as if they're high dews, where less porous curlies have that issue more when dews climb above 60.

You might try sealing with a tiny bit of a straight oil between your LI and gel. You could also add a few drops of oil to your LI before applying, or try a LI with some oil (or other anti-humectant) in the formula.
    CG since 11/2011

Go To Products /Routine:
    I haven't perfect my routine yet, but this is what have made it possible for me to have doable second day hair at least, even though it is still more frizzy:

* More of my Garnier Repons Conditioner. It's the only conditioner I have that currently works as a leave-in. I'm really considering trying to seal with oil though, as I think it is te oil and butter in this conditioner that makes the magic happen, and I might well need more of that. So, sealing I think will be good.
    * Gel. Like a lot of it. I'm currently adding about 1½ dl minimum of flax seed gel everytime I wash my hair. Yes, that much. With some honey in for extra hold. And then hard-old gel on top. I essentially bath my hair in gel. But, mostly flax seed gel as it is easier to apply without frizzing up my hair.
    * Partially rewetting every other to every morning. Wet hands, "hug" the hair, until it's wet on the outside to re-active the gel and then scrunch up some curls. Fingercurls are amazing to deal with the worst extra frizz on the outer layer.

(The good part with huge amounts of gel, if it looks bad, just hit a bathroom, wet your hands and finger-curl the worst parts. Takes a minute or two and make wonders, and no need to bring any product with you either)

I haven't perfect my routine yet, but this is what have made it possible for me to have doable second day hair at least, even though it is still more frizzy:

* More of my Garnier Repons Conditioner. It's the only conditioner I have that currently works as a leave-in. I'm really considering trying to seal with oil though, as I think it is te oil and butter in this conditioner that makes the magic happen, and I might well need more of that. So, sealing I think will be good.
    * Gel. Like a lot of it. I'm currently adding about 1½ dl minimum of flax seed gel everytime I wash my hair. Yes, that much. With some honey in for extra hold. And then hard-old gel on top. I essentially bath my hair in gel. But, mostly flax seed gel as it is easier to apply without frizzing up my hair.
    * Partially rewetting every other to every morning. Wet hands, "hug" the hair, until it's wet on the outside to re-active the gel and then scrunch up some curls. Fingercurls are amazing to deal with the worst extra frizz on the outer layer.

(The good part with huge amounts of gel, if it looks bad, just hit a bathroom, wet your hands and finger-curl the worst parts. Takes a minute or two and make wonders, and no need to bring any product with you either)

I am glad I picked up Garnier Repons!!!

HG
    CG since Feb 2014
  • ZeldahimeZeldahime Posts: 223Registered Users
    Now that the warmer weather has finally hit I've been able to ditch the creme and I've been able to halve the amount of oil I use as well. I have had to start using a harder hold gel on top of KCCC as well. Also I've noticed that my hair needs to be wetter now when I put my products in as well.
    Very fine, high porosity, currently dyed and growing out the relaxed portions. I'm pretty sure my hair's 3b something IIRC. We will be finding out for sure as time goes by.
  • GreatcurlsGreatcurls Posts: 1,782Registered Users
    If the dew point is 60+ and occasionally cowash, then a styler that is medium to strong hold is all that's needed. I combine the protein and deep conditioner treatments during this time. Frizz is not difficult to control.

If the dew point is below 60, then I have to use a leave-in and a sealant even if I cowash most of the time. Frizz is a real challenge at this point, and a soft hold styler is best since it won't dry out my hair. Protein treatments are put on hold.

For the past week, this is how it's been (approximately) where I live:

Temp: 73 degrees
    Dew Point: 47 degrees
    Humidity: 38%
    Mod CG-Naturally Highly Porous and Dry
    This list is not exhaustive...:happy3:
    CoWash: various
    DT: various

Leave-in
    : CR L/I Collection, various
    Stylers:MC Leave-in, Gorilla Snot
    Spritz/Sealant:Nu-Gro spray w/moisturizer
    *experimenting and loving it!
  • sheilacurlsheilacurl Posts: 1,240Registered Users
    It sounds like Mineral Oil is the best oil to seal out humidity in high dews (and seal in moisture during low dews) in porous hair:

THE NATURAL HAVEN: The best moisturiser - mineral oil *cough*

http://www.naturallycurly.com/curltalk/general-discussion-about-curly-hair/145625-mineral-oil-dont-knock-til-you-try-6.html#post2243995

What do you all think?
    Upper Michigan Dews

• ZeldahimeZeldahime Posts: 223Registered Users
    I used to use M.O. but stopped after finding coconut oil worked even better in my hair and doesn't bug my skin.
    Very fine, high porosity, currently dyed and growing out the relaxed portions. I'm pretty sure my hair's 3b something IIRC. We will be finding out for sure as time goes by.
  • GreatcurlsGreatcurls Posts: 1,782Registered Users
    When I used M.O., it made my hair greasy and dry at the same time, and actually created more frizz. But if it works for some people, go for it!
    Mod CG-Naturally Highly Porous and Dry
    This list is not exhaustive...:happy3:
    CoWash: various
    DT: various

Leave-in
    : CR L/I Collection, various
    Stylers:MC Leave-in, Gorilla Snot
    Spritz/Sealant:Nu-Gro spray w/moisturizer
    *experimenting and loving it!
    MO wouldn't be hard to cash out with cowash ?

HG
    CG since Feb 2014
  • sheilacurlsheilacurl Posts: 1,240Registered Users
    Yes, it might not be ideal for anyone who strictly cowashes. I am loving Jessicurl Cleansing Cream which has Cocamidopropyl Betaine as the 4th ingredient so that should take care of any build up that mineral oil may accumulate.

Update:

So I sealed with mineral oil yesterday after work (after my leave-in and before my clumper + gel) and my ends feel noticeably better than they did on previous second day hair without sealing. I did the exact same routine that I've been doing for months.

I'm excited about my hair again. Summer, bring it on!
    Upper Michigan Dews

Ahhhh I am tempted to try but I am scared of the build up!! Mineral oil is simply baby oil?

HG
    CG since Feb 2014