What in your routine are you changing, now that its warmer and more humid?

MyrnaMyrna Posts: 2,472Registered Users Curl Connoisseur
what does your hair need more or less of? what are you changing to?

Comments

• CurlyShorty3405CurlyShorty3405 Posts: 196Registered Users
    I'm starting to use sunscreen in my hair. What I did was take Neutrogena lotion sunblock, put it in a spray bottle so it covered the bottom, there was only 1/2 an inch of sunblock in the bottle and filled the rest with water. I sprayed that on my hair. I don't know if it will do anything but it's still something so my hair is protected from the sun. There really isn't a good UV blocking spray for hair on the market so I decided to make my own and try it out.
    2B-2C Density-Medium/High Width-medium Length-Medium

LoPoo: Onesta Hydrating Shampoo
    CoWash: LP Curl Conditioning Wash
    ROs: Onesta Hydrating Conditioner, LP Curl Detangling Rinse
    Weekly DC: LP Restore Mask Treatment
    Leave in: LP Restore Targeted Repair Cream
    Stylers: (in application order): LP Prime Style Extender Cream, LI, LP Curl Defining Style Cream, LP No Frizz Weightless Styling Spray, LP PHD Night Cap
    Sealer: Body Shop Olive Oil/Body Shop Argan Oil/Josie Maran Argan Oil
  • RimiRimi Posts: 2,001Registered Users Curl Neophyte
    I'm starting to use sunscreen in my hair. What I did was take Neutrogena lotion sunblock, put it in a spray bottle so it covered the bottom, there was only 1/2 an inch of sunblock in the bottle and filled the rest with water. I sprayed that on my hair. I don't know if it will do anything but it's still something so my hair is protected from the sun. There really isn't a good UV blocking spray for hair on the market so I decided to make my own and try it out.

I didn't know hair needed UV protection. Can you elaborate on this?
    21 y/o lifelong natural {4a-O ; spongy ; coarse ; dense ; MBL stretched}

products {'poo: TJTTT shampoo | RO: TJTTT Condish | LI/style: TJTTT Condish, homemade cocoa butter cream | DC: condish + ayurvedic powder(s), Aussie 3MMM Treatment | PT: condish + NPF | oils: castor oil, grapeseed oil | other treatments: probiotics, tea rinses, AVG rinse/spritz, oil rinse | sealing method: LC sometimes O}

long-term: HL stretched, BSL unstretched

CG-friendly Products List!
  • CurlyShorty3405CurlyShorty3405 Posts: 196Registered Users
    Rimi wrote: »

If you have dark hair, the sun acts like bleach and can take color out of your hair, which makes it more dry. It happens to me every spring/summer, my natural gorgeous brunette hair turns into blonde from the sun. The sun can really damage your hair. A lot of products on the market don't really work all that well, My cousin is a hair stylist, and doesn't like a lot of products on the market.
    2B-2C Density-Medium/High Width-medium Length-Medium

LoPoo: Onesta Hydrating Shampoo
    CoWash: LP Curl Conditioning Wash
    ROs: Onesta Hydrating Conditioner, LP Curl Detangling Rinse
    Weekly DC: LP Restore Mask Treatment
    Leave in: LP Restore Targeted Repair Cream
    Stylers: (in application order): LP Prime Style Extender Cream, LI, LP Curl Defining Style Cream, LP No Frizz Weightless Styling Spray, LP PHD Night Cap
    Sealer: Body Shop Olive Oil/Body Shop Argan Oil/Josie Maran Argan Oil
  • SassifrassSassifrass Posts: 49Registered Users
    I haven't changed too much. I'm using a little less LI now and on higher dews/higher humidity days I'm sealing with a drop or 2 of grapeseed oil in my LI.

I also gave the LALSG another go now that it's more summery and I like it a lot more now. Not sure what was going on with it before.

I've noticed when I get hot and sweat any at all my hair just immediately goes limp and lifeless. Still working on figuring out how to stop that. :angry6:

ETA: The SM CES has started behaving badly for my hair. Granted it enhances my curls and makes some pieces that tend to be more 2c into more 3a but it leaves my hair sticky. It also seems to be making my hair limp. Limp but more curly?! Why CES why?
    3a, fine, low/medium density, high porosity. Protein loving.

Lo poo: Desert Essence Coconut Shampoo.
    RO: DevaCurl One Condition
    LI: DevaCurl One Condition
    Styler: DevaCurl Ultra Defining Gel
    PT: IAgirl's Gelatin PT
  • ZeldahimeZeldahime Posts: 223Registered Users
    Now that it's finally warmer I've been able to shelf the creme for a while but I've had to more consistently use a harder hold gel. Especially this past weekend when I was camping and always outside.
    Very fine, high porosity, currently dyed and growing out the relaxed portions. I'm pretty sure my hair's 3b something IIRC. We will be finding out for sure as time goes by.
  • CurlyInParadiseCurlyInParadise Posts: 137Registered Users
    Probably not many of you are dealing with gray/white hair but one thing to keep in mind for your future, sun can turn gray hair yellow and nothing will take it out. So I wear some type of hat if I am outside and have never done that before, don't like them.
    [SIGPIC][/SIGPIC]______
    3a, med porous, low density
    Poo: Have to admit I have recently become a Wen convert. Love it. I have always had problems with my hair "hanging" right, curling uniformly and destorting the perimeter line. Wen makes it hang evenly.
  • testimony777testimony777 Posts: 237Registered Users Curl Connoisseur
    I have had to switch to a hard hold gel (liking BRHG at the moment) and I restyle every other day. I love the warmer months but I am definitely missing being able to get three and four days out of a wash and go.
    Hair Stats (CG since 3/31/12)
    Type: 3c/b; Density: M; Texture: F-M; Porosity: L-N

Products
    Cleanser: DevaCurl Decadence No Poo
    Conditioner: DevaCurl Original One Condition
    Leave-in: DevaCurl B'Leave-in
    Stylers: DevaCurl Volumizing Frizz Free Foam, DevaCurl Beautiful Mess, DevaCurl Flexible Hold Hairspray
    Refresher: DevaCurl No Comb Detangling Spray
    Finisher: DevaCurl Shine Spray
  • curlicious13curlicious13 Posts: 1,632Registered Users Curl Neophyte
    I'm using less LI and on the hunt for a cheap hard hold, alcohol/silicone free gel. For those who like the la looks sport gel, give the la looks wet look gel. I use it & love it. It's great for those who diffuse to dry their hair. Just a suggestion. I just need a lil more hold no that it's warmer. But great gel.
  • Geek_ChicGeek_Chic Posts: 1,275Registered Users Curl Connoisseur
    Rimi wrote: »

According to Science-y Hair Blog:

"After 200 hours of ultraviolet light exposure, the surface area of cuticle in hair non-chemically treated is reduced by almost half. 200 hours is equivalent to half an hour of sun per day for just over a year. Unlike chemical bleaching, this increase in porosity is a result of many more smaller pores opening up as UV light fuses cuticle edges together. As they fuse, their coverage shrinks. This UV damage is progressive. After 1200 hours of UV exposure, pores begin developing in the layers of cuticle which were fused during the previous hours of UV exposure and the entire cuticle area may become fused together and rigid and thus susceptible to cracking – which would create more pores."
    CG since 11/2011
    2c /3a F /Mii, low porosity

Go To Products /Routine:
    Clarifying: Suave Essentials Strawberry
    Low Poo: Renpure Luxurious Argan Oil
    CO: Suave Essentials Strawberry, V05 Kiwi Lime
    RO /LI: Tresemme Perfectly (un)Done, Cure Care, V05 Kiwi Lime Squeeze, Suave Essentials Strawberry, Renpure Brazilian Keratin (old formula)
    Stylers: LALSG, AIF, HETT, Suave Professionals Firm Control
    PT: IAGirl's as needed
  • MyrnaMyrna Posts: 2,472Registered Users Curl Connoisseur
    Curlicious, how are LALSG and the LALWLG different??

Leave a Comment

BoldItalicStrikethroughOrdered listUnordered list
Emoji
Align leftAlign centerAlign rightToggle HTML viewToggle full pageToggle lights
Drop image/file