Is it OK to "interview" before a cut?

curlyink3bcurlyink3b Posts: 41Registered Users
I need to find someone locally who knows what's up with curly hair. My previous stylist has taken a leave to deal with her husband who is fighting cancer. My sister gave me the name and number of a stylist in her area (a couple towns over from mine) who "is good at doing curly hair". We shall see. . .

My question is whether it's appropriate to call for a consultation with this lady, in which I basically interview her for the job of touching my hair. What questions are appropriate to ask? Don't want another wet cut, and I have no desire to be shampoo'ed even if "it's part of the salon experience" and I "have to".

My hair has several inches of "old color" that I'm interested in having taken off, as well as some bangs that are now grown out to about my chin. 3B, between armpit and bra strap length when dry. Not sure how much I want/need to take off, and sure don't want her to be scissor happy.
3b/3c, high porosity, fine strands but lots of em!

APL/BSL when dry (bangs are to chin), but WL when wet.

Pineapple and satin pillowcase at night.

Comments

• claudine191claudine191 Posts: 8,221Registered Users Curl Connoisseur
    I think that's a great idea. And if she or he is unwilling to consult with you in advance, you'll know that person is wrong for you.

Of course, it may not be foolproof............
  • XhexaniaXhexania Posts: 65Registered Users
    It is definitely okay to ask the stylist some questions before you allow her to work on your hair, so you shouldn't be apprehensive about it. You are the one who has to live with what she does to your hair, not her. As for the appropriate questions, I'm not exactly sure which ones to ask, but I know the types of questions that would seem...abrasive. I suppose that the ideal questions should respect the stylist's authority while clearly getting your expectations through to her, and if she has a problem with being "interviewed", I guess that the first red flag will have been raised.
    Fine Strands, High Density, (Seemingly) Normal Porosity
  • curlyink3bcurlyink3b Posts: 41Registered Users
    Nobody wants to be berated or interrogated, and I have no intention of being that way. I'm planning to call on my lunch break tomorrow. I mainly want to know if she is comfortable cutting my hair dry, and if she'll honor my request for no product.

• Morgan_AdcockMorgan_Adcock Posts: 2,573Registered Users Curl Neophyte
    Those sound like perfectly reasonable questions to ask.
    Peace,
    Morgan

Baby Fine 3B, low porosity, normal density and elasticity
    CGing since July 2008
  • rbbrbb Posts: 4,355Registered Users Curl Connoisseur
    it's normal in the haircutting profession to do consultations, don't feel you are being rude, you are being an informed customer.
    there is a thread in this forum called, "what to tell your stylist" that was started by a member, struttswife, aka tiffany, who is a deva-trained stylist in florida. has lots of good info. have no idea why it is not a sticky.

3a, some 2c & 3b, medium texture, porosity normal, low elasticity :-(
    washing/cowashing, conditioning, protein tx: curl junkie products
    leave in:curl junkie conditioners and treatments as leave in
    styling: curl junkie 
    sealants - jane carter nourish & shine
  • curlyink3bcurlyink3b Posts: 41Registered Users
    Thanks rbb, I'll be sure to look for that one! I'm just nervous about calling.

• DaniGirl88DaniGirl88 Posts: 1,583Registered Users Curl Neophyte
    I asked my stylist a few questions before deciding to go with her. I think some of them expect it. Curly hair isn't the same as straight hair, so it is only natural to have a few questions (or so I think). I was super nervous about paying so much for a hair cut and not knowing if she would do a good job. I researched her, asked around, asked her some questions, and finally took the plunge. Good luck! =)
    [SIGPIC][/SIGPIC]

3B, fine, normal porosity, high density, medium width and length
    Conditioner: Tresemme Naturals, Trader Joe's Tea Tree Tingle
    Co-Wash: As I Am Coconut Co-Wash
    Leave in Products: As I Am Leave-In, SM Smoothie/Milk, KCKT, Giovanni Direct Leave-In
    Air Dry

Looking for new products and methods to try!

• ZoevaZoeva Posts: 20Registered Users
    Last time when I went to a hair salon I asked the girl right away if she had any experience with cutting curly hair as I've had bad experiences. She looked at me as if I just asked her to jump from a bridge. She was pissed. Yes I do, that's the only thing she said.

That right there should have been a sign for me, she didn't speak to me through out the whole cutting part and when the cutting was done she didn't even bother to fix my hair.

Moral of the story, definitely ask if they have experience they will be proud of it and share their experiences with you. If they get pissed than that's just a sign they don't do curly hair cuts and they get offended by it for some odd reason.
  • CurlyInTheFogCurlyInTheFog Posts: 876Registered Users
    Many stylists will book a consultation time for you. I just had my hair cut this week by a new stylist and booked a consult pre-cut, but could have just done the consult and then the cut later. She asked me what I was looking for, told me how she does the cut, about her clientele, etc. It all turned out really well--I thought I had a good curly cut before, but after, wow.
    3a/b, F, normal porosity

Suave conditioner, LAL gel
  • rbbrbb Posts: 4,355Registered Users Curl Connoisseur
    Zoeva wrote: »
    Last time when I went to a hair salon I asked the girl right away if she had any experience with cutting curly hair as I've had bad experiences. She looked at me as if I just asked her to jump from a bridge. She was pissed. Yes I do, that's the only thing she said.

she probably sees no difference in cutting curly or straight, she most likely cuts them exactly the same way. right there when she did not elaborate was your turn to leave. i actually did once leave a hair appt before she started cutting/washing, as we were talking i just had a really bad feeling. i told her i changed my mind about cutting my hair, thanked her, tipped her and left. this was years ago. of course, i have had my share of bad haircuts which is probably what gave me the courage to leave.

3a, some 2c & 3b, medium texture, porosity normal, low elasticity :-(
    washing/cowashing, conditioning, protein tx: curl junkie products
    leave in:curl junkie conditioners and treatments as leave in
    styling: curl junkie 
    sealants - jane carter nourish & shine
  • CurlyInTheFogCurlyInTheFog Posts: 876Registered Users
    I've never left a hair appointment yet, but there's sure been times I should have! :flower:

ETA: Not always because of the stylist, just to be clear. I've done a lot of impulsive things to my hair in the past, many of which I was sorry for later.
    3a/b, F, normal porosity

Suave conditioner, LAL gel
  • chupiechupie Posts: 5,280Registered Users Curl Connoisseur
    It's called consulting and they should be happy to do it if they want your business.
    2a medium porous, You can see my wavy tutorials here: https://www.youtube.com/playlist?list=PLy8bclCLgER5N_uVYSYZNxhBHSXAW40OQ and my wavy blog is The Wavy Nation http://wavynation.wordpress.com
  • skippersarahskippersarah Posts: 9Registered Users
    I was searching for a new stylist recently and was given the name of some who "knows curly hair," so I set up a consultation first (I've been burned before!). It turned out that for curly hair she likes to cut it wet, straighten it, then cut it again dry, which is not at all what I was looking for.

I'm glad I scheduled the consultation--she didn't lose an hour of her day to a booking that didn't work out (it was a 15 minute appointment instead), I didn't force her to do a cut she wasn't comfortable with, and I didn't waste money on a cut that I hate.

Do the consultation, it's definitely worth it!

Leave a Comment

BoldItalicStrikethroughOrdered listUnordered list
Emoji
Align leftAlign centerAlign rightToggle HTML viewToggle full pageToggle lights
Drop image/file