Why all the frizz!!

shocurlshocurl Posts: 11Registered Users
I started cg about 6 weeks ago and my hair has slowly been getting worse and worse. Prior to starting cg I hadn't used heat on my hair for about 2 years. I'm using devacurl no poo, one condition and angel. My hair started breaking off (prob due to the scrunching so I don't do that anymore) lacks definition and shine, but is very soft.

The thing that annoys me the most is the frizz. I've always had a frizzy patch at the top of my head, but since starting cg it appears to have spread to the point that I no longer look presentable and have resorted to tying my hair up most days. Not the results I was hoping for.

I was wondering whether this is to be expected or whether I should be looking for new products? I've attached a pic... I think this is worst my hair hair has ever been :(

Comments

• Morgan_AdcockMorgan_Adcock Posts: 2,573Registered Users Curl Neophyte
    I suspect that you may not be getting enough conditioner and gel to that section. When you have your hair flipped over, the section that's frizzy is in the center of the mass of hair. It may help to smooth some over your canopy before flipping your hair over. After you think you've got all of your hair covered, squish-scrunch until the hair in the center feels the same (when you poke a finger in) as the outside, then squish a little more.

Another possibility that springs to mind is that you may have residual cones on your hair from before you went CG. If you've noticed that your hair is frizzy when wet, doing a single cone-free, sulfate cleanse would probably help.
    Peace,
    Morgan

Baby Fine 3B, low porosity, normal density and elasticity
    CGing since July 2008
  • shocurlshocurl Posts: 11Registered Users
    Thank you for your reply, I will try a cleanse as my hair does feel a bit frizzy when wet.
  • kathymackkathymack Posts: 9,999Registered Users Curl Neophyte
    The NoPoo has Polyquaternium-7 as the fifth ingredient. I have issues with polyquats 4, 7 and 10. They coat my hair and are hard to remove. The way I knew I had problems was that I had frizz when wet. I needed to shampoo with a strong surfactant a few times to remove them (I only used the NoPoo once when I forgot my CJ Daily fix while getting my haircut at the salon.)

I'd suggest doing something to remove it and changing products. Read the ingredients carefully and make sure they don't have the polyquats.
    3a (Corkicelli), highlighted, fine, low porosity
    SE PA

HGs: Anything Sevi; Curly Kinks Satin Roots, Curlycue ReNew and Coil Jam; homemade FSG and okra gel; soap bars; UFD Curly Magic; Botanical Spirits Jellies, CJ Repair Me, Aloe Fix
    [SIGPIC][/SIGPIC]
    Is there such a thing as a sulphate shampoo without cones? I've been looking online for one all day, I can see ones without sulphates and parabens, but not without cones!
  • CurlyShorty3405CurlyShorty3405 Posts: 196Registered Users
    shocurl wrote: »
    I started cg about 6 weeks ago and my hair has slowly been getting worse and worse. Prior to starting cg I hadn't used heat on my hair for about 2 years. I'm using devacurl no poo, one condition and angel. My hair started breaking off (prob due to the scrunching so I don't do that anymore) lacks definition and shine, but is very soft.

The thing that annoys me the most is the frizz. I've always had a frizzy patch at the top of my head, but since starting cg it appears to have spread to the point that I no longer look presentable and have resorted to tying my hair up most days. Not the results I was hoping for.

I was wondering whether this is to be expected or whether I should be looking for new products? I've attached a pic... I think this is worst my hair hair has ever been :(

I used Deva products for two weeks and my hair broke off, and I didn't even scrunch, my hair just broke off.
    2B-2C Density-Medium/High Width-medium Length-Medium

LoPoo: Onesta Hydrating Shampoo
    CoWash: LP Curl Conditioning Wash
    ROs: Onesta Hydrating Conditioner, LP Curl Detangling Rinse
    Weekly DC: LP Restore Mask Treatment
    Leave in: LP Restore Targeted Repair Cream
    Stylers: (in application order): LP Prime Style Extender Cream, LI, LP Curl Defining Style Cream, LP No Frizz Weightless Styling Spray, LP PHD Night Cap
    Sealer: Body Shop Olive Oil/Body Shop Argan Oil/Josie Maran Argan Oil

I used Deva products for two weeks and my hair broke off, and I didn't even scrunch, my hair just broke off.

It's so disheartening. I need to find an alternative ASAP as I'm looking quite scarecrow-esque at the moment. I've found tresseme naturals which appears to be cone free so I will try that and attempt cg again once my hair has recovered.
  • curlicious13curlicious13 Posts: 1,632Registered Users Curl Neophyte
    I like the as I am cowash. My hair grew using that as my cowash. I'm not liking the tresemme naturals as my cowash because I'm shedding more. But very few broken hairs. The deva curl arcangel gel left me frizzy because it turns into water when it hits your hair. Don't use it. you can use the deva products with a cheap gel & look good.
  • CurlyShorty3405CurlyShorty3405 Posts: 196Registered Users

It's so disheartening. I need to find an alternative ASAP as I'm looking quite scarecrow-esque at the moment. I've found tresseme naturals which appears to be cone free so I will try that and attempt cg again once my hair has recovered.

I love the shampoo and conditioner I use, and my hair loves it too. I use Onesta hydrating shampoo and conditioner. They are both sulphate, paraben and silicone free. They are also vegan and cruelty free.
    2B-2C Density-Medium/High Width-medium Length-Medium

LoPoo: Onesta Hydrating Shampoo
    CoWash: LP Curl Conditioning Wash
    ROs: Onesta Hydrating Conditioner, LP Curl Detangling Rinse
    Weekly DC: LP Restore Mask Treatment
    Leave in: LP Restore Targeted Repair Cream
    Stylers: (in application order): LP Prime Style Extender Cream, LI, LP Curl Defining Style Cream, LP No Frizz Weightless Styling Spray, LP PHD Night Cap
    Sealer: Body Shop Olive Oil/Body Shop Argan Oil/Josie Maran Argan Oil
  • CGSince2002CGSince2002 Posts: 1,073Banned Users
    Is there such a thing as a sulphate shampoo without cones? I've been looking online for one all day, I can see ones without sulphates and parabens, but not without cones!

Sure, there's Neutrogena's Anti-Residue shampoo, which you can find at any drugstore chain. Baby shampoo also qualifies as do most of the VO5 shampoos (but these may have polyquats...).

P.S. the VO5 for Normal Hair doesn't have a polyquat.
    Joined Curltalk 1st time in early '02 shortly after starting CG. I'm a non-practicing Cosmetologist.
    Hair: color-treated, mostly 3A.
    CO-wash: VO5 K&L
    RO: SpaHaus Salon w/OO, VO5 Shea Cashmere, W.R. Trop. Coconut, Daily Defense Moisturizing & others.
    LI: Beautiful Curls w/Shea Butter & C.O., Hollywood Beauty OO Creme, VO5 K&L, Aveda Be Curly Curl Enhancer.
    Gels: LAL Wet Look, ORS Lock & Twist.
    Oils: Jojoba, EVCO & Africa's Best Ultimate Herbal Oil

The VO5 and Suave Naturals shampoos, as well as Johnson's brand Baby Shampoo are cone free sulfate poos.

FWIW, although I don't doubt for a minute that some people (including some with the same hair properties as mine, and it sounds like similar water) have difficulty with polyquats, we don't all. I really don't have a sense of why some people do and some don't. I've been CG for close to six years, used products with polyquats without any problems (I was already using them when the issue came up), despite almost always co-washing, going months between low-poos, and only sulfate pooed once, when a friend accidentally sprayed cone laden hairspray on my hair. So, my personal advice about them is that if you stay cone free, but still get buildup, it would make good sense to beware of polyquats, and see if getting rid of them helps. However they're not on the CG banned list, and if you have CG products which contain them and aren't causing you problems, you mightn't want to go looking for trouble which isn't there.
    Peace,
    Morgan

CGing since July 2008
    Please don't think that you have to use Deva products to do CG. It's a method, not a brand. Tressemme (sp?) Naturals Conditioners are just as CG as Deva's are.
    Peace,
    Morgan

CGing since July 2008
    Thanks for all your posts. I hadn't heard of CG until i came across devacurl on Instagram so I blindly bought it without researching! I had some baby shampoo at home so used that, conditioned with tresemme naturals and then used ecostyler gel...much better results!

My hair still lacks shine but at least I have definition back:mrgreen:
  • CGSince2002CGSince2002 Posts: 1,073Banned Users
    You may want to try adding just a few drops of a good oil to your Tresemme next time for shine. Or do a honey rinse (1 tbsp. honey in 1 c. warm water), this is supposed to enhance curling too. You can add the honey to the CO too, in equal parts. Whichever you choose, let it sit for a few minutes before rinsing out.
    Joined Curltalk 1st time in early '02 shortly after starting CG. I'm a non-practicing Cosmetologist.
    Hair: color-treated, mostly 3A.
    CO-wash: VO5 K&L
    RO: SpaHaus Salon w/OO, VO5 Shea Cashmere, W.R. Trop. Coconut, Daily Defense Moisturizing & others.
    LI: Beautiful Curls w/Shea Butter & C.O., Hollywood Beauty OO Creme, VO5 K&L, Aveda Be Curly Curl Enhancer.
    Gels: LAL Wet Look, ORS Lock & Twist.
    Oils: Jojoba, EVCO & Africa's Best Ultimate Herbal Oil

Leave a Comment

BoldItalicStrikethroughOrdered listUnordered list
Emoji
Align leftAlign centerAlign rightToggle HTML viewToggle full pageToggle lights
Drop image/file