Hysteroscopy polypectomy D and C

AjidahkAjidahk Posts: 1,212Registered Users Curl Neophyte
Has anyone ever had this procedure done?

I had a saline infusion sonogram recently and they found 4 polyps. I have to get them removed with a hysteroscopy polypectomy d&c procedure. I'm not really afraid of the procedure, but I am not crazy about being given anesthesia for this. Has anyone had this procedure without anesthesia?

Also, I wasn't to comfortable with the way the GYN told me about this surgery with very little information and would like to get this done at another hospital. I am in NYC, but am considering traveling home to DC to GWU hospital to get it done. Can anyone recommend a good GYN in NYC who performs hysteroscopies?..
FYI, I am 27 and have never been pregnant.

I really appreciate any advice or comments that you have.

Sent from my HTC One X using Tapatalk
Hair Type: 4a with 3c sections...frizzy,wavy,bushy,curly

Comments

• klloydmajesticklloydmajestic Posts: 183Registered Users Curl Connoisseur
    I am not familiar with the procedure but I've had another gynaecological related surgery. My suggestion is for you to get a second (or third) opinion if you are unsure. Do not be afraid to ask as many questions as you need to ask. A good doctor will welcome these questions and work with you to figure out the best plan for your individual situation. It is well worth the search for the right doctor. Best of luck to you!
    3b, low porosity, CG method
    BC 6 February 2016 and growing out. . . again!
    current products: 
    • conditioner: Jessicurl Too Shea!
    • pre-poo: grapeseed oil or coconut oil
    • cleanser: currently experimenting with different things
    • deep treatment: Jessicurl Deep Treatment
    • "protein" treatment: SheaMoisture Manuka Honey & Mafura Oil Intensive Hydration Masque
    • Stylers: Fruit of the Earth 100% Aloe Vera gel or SheaMoisture Coconut & Hibiscus Curl Enhancing Smoothie

• Corrina777Corrina777 Posts: 3,204Registered Users Curl Connoisseur
    I haven't had the procedure done, but I work at a hospital and can say that it's a very common procedure- probably one of the most common GYN procedures. I do not recall ever seeing one done without anesthesia- usually general, sometimes sedation.
    [SIGPIC][/SIGPIC]
    3a/f/iii
    Modified CG since 11/5/11
    CLEANSE: CJ Daily Fix, DevaCare No-Poo, CHS Treatment Shampoo
    RO: SS Caitlin's Conditioner, CJ Beauticurls Strengthening
    LI: SS Repairing Protein Treatment, CHS Silk Leave-In
    STYLE: Re:Coil, Curl Keeper, Deva Ultra Defining Gel, Curls Rock Amplifier,Sweet Curls Elixirs Okra Gel and Hard Hold Gel, SS Curl Enhancing Jelly and Firm Hold Gel
  • AjidahkAjidahk Posts: 1,212Registered Users Curl Neophyte
    klloydmajestic, thank you for your response. I will definitely take your advice and get a second opinion. I will not stop searching until I feel comfortable about the whole thing.

Corrina777, thank you for your response. Yes, I know it's pretty routine, but I want to get twilight/sedation. From my research, it doesn't seem necessary to have general anesthesia. I have been under general anesthesia before, but I would feel more comfortable using sedation.
  • tnaturaltnatural Posts: 362Registered Users
    I've had 3 Hysteroscopic Myomectomy/Polypectomy last year and it was the best decision I made. It took three surgeries to remove the fibroid because it was so big. Also because they used saline solution during the surgery your body can only have so much, they had to stop. It can lower your blood pressure if you are given too much.

I had anesthesia so unfortunately I can't tell you what it was like without it. I get sick when I get put under so I made sure they gave me some anti-nausea meds before the surgery. They gave me a pill and I wore a patch behind my ear. I had no issues with the anesthesia. Because of what all this surgery involves, I am not sure I would want to be awake during the procedure.

I would have been severely anemic and the fibroid would have kept getting bigger if I didn't get this surgery. My periods are totally back to normal. What is great is that they didn't have to cut through by uterus so I don't have to worry about having a c-section if I get pregnant.

I don't live in NYC so I can't suggest a doctor for you but start by finding a doctor who specializes in reproduction health. Not just one who delivers babies or perform Pap. There is a difference. My doctor who is not just a GYN is experienced in all areas of infertility and gynecologic surgery. I was only going to her for my fibroids not for any infertility problems. But I guess fibroids can lead to infertility problems.

Sorry, I know this probably doesn't answer your question but I wanted to give you my experience. I have posted some information below and a link that may be helpful. If you are having any problems with fribroids or polyps, I would suggest having the surgery. You just need to find the right doctor to perform the surgery.

Hysteroscopic Myomectomy — Only women with submucosal fibroids — fibroids that expand from the uterine wall into the uterine cavity — are eligible for this type of myomectomy. Fibroids located within the uterine wall cannot be removed with this technique.

During the procedure, you will lie on your back with your feet in gynecology stirrups. You will most likely be asleep for the procedure. A speculum is placed in the vagina and a long, slender telescope is placed through the cervix into the uterine cavity. The uterine cavity is filled with fluid to lift apart the walls of the uterus. Instruments passed through the hysteroscope are used to shave off the submucosal fibroids.

This is an out-patient procedure, and you may go home after several hours of observation in the recovery room. Most women spend one to four days resting at home to recover.

http://www.stephenwellsmd.com/hysteroscopic_myomectomy.htm

Sent from my iPad
    Last texturizer-9/18/08
    BC-12/30/09

event.png
    tnatural, thank you so much for responding. I am glad everything worked out with your surgery :)

I have pretty much decided where I want to get this done. I just have to have a consultation and schedule something.

Thank you for sharing the info. I will look into this. So ready to get this over with!

• tnaturaltnatural Posts: 362Registered Users
    You are welcome. Good luck with your surgery. I hope everything works out.
    Last texturizer-9/18/08
    BC-12/30/09

event.png
  • DaniGirl88DaniGirl88 Posts: 1,583Registered Users Curl Neophyte
    I have not had this procedure done, but have had an ovary removed. That's really the only thing I've ever had done. With that being said, best of luck to you and make sure you feel comfortable with what they are doing. You are most important here. =)
    [SIGPIC][/SIGPIC]

3B, fine, normal porosity, high density, medium width and length
    Conditioner: Tresemme Naturals, Trader Joe's Tea Tree Tingle
    Co-Wash: As I Am Coconut Co-Wash
    Leave in Products: As I Am Leave-In, SM Smoothie/Milk, KCKT, Giovanni Direct Leave-In
    Air Dry

Looking for new products and methods to try!

• spiderlashes5000spiderlashes5000 Posts: 17,898Registered Users Curl Virtuoso
    I hate general anesthesia, too. Best wishes!

Thank you all for the kind words. I'm heading to DC now for my consultation appt tomorrow. Will report back after surgery.

Update

My surgery went well. It was very quick--about 30 mins! I healed very quickly and was able to continue with my normal activities the next day. I go for my follow-up on 7/16, but everything is good so far. If anyone has any questions about this procedure, please message me. I would be happy to give a detailed explanation about the procedure.
  • curlypearlcurlypearl Posts: 12,227Registered Users Curl Connoisseur
    Aji - glad you are fine! I know it's a relief. :hello2:
    2/c Coarse hair med. density.
    Highly porous. Color over grey.
    I love all the Curl Junkie products. Still experimenting with gels and curl creams. Still hoping for 2nd day hair....
    Every day is a gift :flower:
  • RedCatWavesRedCatWaves Posts: 31,259Registered Users Curl Connoisseur
    I'm late on this thread. I'm having a hysteroscopy and D&C in 2 weeks to try to diagnose the cause of post-menopausal bleeding. Endometrial biopsy was negative, but it could still be cancer, I'm told, so they need to biopsy the whole scraping. No polyps seen on ultrasound, but they could still be in there causing mischief. I'm having sedation, not general anesthesia, and it'll be done in-hospital. Doc says it'll only take about 30-45 minutes. I'm not concerned, because I know it's a very common procedure.

At my age, I wish they'd go straight to hysterectomy for me though, since that's where I'm probably headed. I hate that I have to be bothered with all these time-consuming and expensive tests when it could all be solved by yanking out the old bag.
  • curlypearlcurlypearl Posts: 12,227Registered Users Curl Connoisseur
    Hi RCW.

Unpleasant to have to go through that. :( Hope you sail through and don't have to return to the scene of the crime.

Plan a treat (or ten) for when it's over. :icescream:
    2/c Coarse hair med. density.
    Highly porous. Color over grey.
    I love all the Curl Junkie products. Still experimenting with gels and curl creams. Still hoping for 2nd day hair....
    Every day is a gift :flower:

Leave a Comment

BoldItalicStrikethroughOrdered listUnordered list
Emoji
Align leftAlign centerAlign rightToggle HTML viewToggle full pageToggle lights
Drop image/file