Getting Shine and CG

russianprncssrussianprncss Posts: 450Registered Users Curl Neophyte
Hey!

I've been noticing my hair isn't as shiny since I've been doing CG. Are there any CG-friendly products that will help me regain some natural shine?
2C/3A; very, very thick fine to medium hair; low porosity.

Current Products:
Co-Wash: As I Am Cleansing Co-Wash
Conditioner: Shea Moisture Tahitian Masque, Aubrey Organics GPB, Shea Moisture
Leave-In: Coffee Coco Curl Creme, Coffee Coco Curl Creme Lite
Stylers: Mop Top Curl Custard, Shea Moisture Curl Custard[/FONT]

"Forget not that the earth delights to feel your bare feet and the winds long to play with your hair." -Khalil Gibran

Comments

• CGSince2002CGSince2002 Posts: 1,073Banned Users
    Hi again! I can't remember if you've posted where you live (if in the U.S. or not), it would also be helpful if you include in your signature the products you're now using, and please tell us how often you're co-washing or rinsing in between, if you do any DTs (and what you use), etc., ok? Thanks!

P.S. Were you using 'cones regularly before CG?
    Joined Curltalk 1st time in early '02 shortly after starting CG. I'm a non-practicing Cosmetologist.
    Hair: color-treated, mostly 3A.
    CO-wash: VO5 K&L
    RO: SpaHaus Salon w/OO, VO5 Shea Cashmere, W.R. Trop. Coconut, Daily Defense Moisturizing & others.
    LI: Beautiful Curls w/Shea Butter & C.O., Hollywood Beauty OO Creme, VO5 K&L, Aveda Be Curly Curl Enhancer.
    Gels: LAL Wet Look, ORS Lock & Twist.
    Oils: Jojoba, EVCO & Africa's Best Ultimate Herbal Oil

• russianprncssrussianprncss Posts: 450Registered Users Curl Neophyte
    I'm in Oregon, the Willamette Valley- so subtropical marine climate.

Right now, I'm using:

As I Am Coconut Co wash
    Aubrey Organics Replenishing Conditioner RO
    KCKT detangler
    Alaffia Hair Lotion (leave in)
    Shea Moisture Curl Smoothie
    KCCC

And yes, I think I was using 'cones (sadly they're in a lot of Shikai styling products), but I feel like I did a pretty good job getting them out.

My first CG products were Deva but I'm trying new things cuz I was not a fan of all the chemicals in Deva. Deva gel made my hair really shiny, but KCCC, not so much.
    2C/3A; very, very thick fine to medium hair; low porosity.

Current Products:
    Co-Wash: As I Am Cleansing Co-Wash
    Conditioner: Shea Moisture Tahitian Masque, Aubrey Organics GPB, Shea Moisture
    Leave-In: Coffee Coco Curl Creme, Coffee Coco Curl Creme Lite
    Stylers: Mop Top Curl Custard, Shea Moisture Curl Custard[/FONT]

"Forget not that the earth delights to feel your bare feet and the winds long to play with your hair." -Khalil Gibran
  • SereneCurlsSereneCurls Posts: 1,145Registered Users Curl Neophyte
    A lot of spray gels contain peg-modified castor oil, which tends to make my curls more shiny.
    Another thing to keep in mind is that curls tend to show shine less than straighter hair because straight hair has a smoother surface that reflects light more readily. I can't remember whether you were straightening your hair before starting cg, but if so that May account for a lack of shine. If there's any buildup on the hair, that can also result in less shine.
    3a, dense, fairly coarse, normal porosity and elasticity, just below shoulder
    Low poo: Giovanni 50 50
    Co-wash: aia, suave coconut, salon care
    R O: Tresume Naturals, gvpcb
    L I: KCKT, gvpcb
    Stylers: cjpp, re : coil, kccc, brhg
    Oils: coconut, argan
    Experimenting with: curls rock amplifier, pantene mousse
  • CGSince2002CGSince2002 Posts: 1,073Banned Users
    Hmm... I wish you'd mentioned how many of those products you use each time you style your hair... While some people can get away with layering several products with good results that's not always the case, some products together could create a "film" that dulls the hair.

A peculiar thing happened to me to illustrate this... I think it was last week that I tried using my VO5 K&L as a LI for the first time. I decided to add a few drops of jojoba oil to it and I loved the results except my hair was not as shiny as when I'd used the Aveda Be Curly curl enhancing LI my daughter gave me a few days earlier. But yesterday afternoon I decided to try it again, this time mixed with a little bit of coconut oil, and I was surprised to get comparable shine. (
    My hair also had a nice shine last time I used my LALWL gel a few days ago, but that's one of the reasons I like it...)

Now, I really don't know if it's just the c.o. that made the difference with the VO5K&L, or the fact that lately I haven't been using a RO at all, and gel only like every other time I water-wash my hair, or that I recently clarified with "Lemon-aid"...
    Either way, I think that probably not using a lot of stuff has helped with the shine.
    Joined Curltalk 1st time in early '02 shortly after starting CG. I'm a non-practicing Cosmetologist.
    Hair: color-treated, mostly 3A.
    CO-wash: VO5 K&L
    RO: SpaHaus Salon w/OO, VO5 Shea Cashmere, W.R. Trop. Coconut, Daily Defense Moisturizing & others.
    LI: Beautiful Curls w/Shea Butter & C.O., Hollywood Beauty OO Creme, VO5 K&L, Aveda Be Curly Curl Enhancer.
    Gels: LAL Wet Look, ORS Lock & Twist.
    Oils: Jojoba, EVCO & Africa's Best Ultimate Herbal Oil

Leave a Comment

BoldItalicStrikethroughOrdered listUnordered list
Emoji
Align leftAlign centerAlign rightToggle HTML viewToggle full pageToggle lights
Drop image/file