34 y/o Poses as Student

CurlyCanadianCurlyCanadian Posts: 10,904Registered Users, Curl Ambassador Curl Connoisseur
This is just so bizarre! From her pics, I totally would have believed she was in high school.

34-year-old Charity Johnson posed as 15-year-old orphan at Texas high school | Mail Online
I believe in manicures. I believe in overdressing. I believe in primping at leisure and wearing lipstick. I believe in pink. I believe that laughing is the best calorie burner. I believe in kissing, kissing a lot. I believe in being strong when everything seems to be going wrong. I believe that happy girls are the prettiest girls. I believe that tomorrow is another day and I believe in miracles.
Audrey Hepburn

Comments

• CatitudeBooCatitudeBoo Posts: 590Registered Users Curl Connoisseur
    I saw that. Very bizarre indeed and I don't think the punishment fits the crime unless she was engaging in sexual activity with underage students. Funny (or maybe not) how she looks closer to her actual age in the mugshot LOL
    CG since Dec. 2013  B)
    3b/c ~ fine ~ high porosity ~ low density
    No-Poo: SheaMoisture Manuka Honey & Mafura Oil Shampoo 
    RO: Tresemme Botanique Nourish & Replenish Conditioner 
    Stylers: Tresemme Flawless Curls Mousse & Extra Hold Hairspray 

• Fifi.GFifi.G Posts: 15,490Registered Users Curl Neophyte
    That is incredibly strange. I would like to know her reasoning behind impersonation. I am sure the people who took her in and mentored her were perplexed and upset. I don't know what her situation is but it is still taking advantage of others kindness under false pretenses.
    When I hear terms like "hipster" I think, who told cliques they could leave high school??

[SIGPIC][/SIGPIC]
  • spiderlashes5000spiderlashes5000 Posts: 17,898Registered Users Curl Virtuoso
    Other ppl have done this for academic research/ethnographic study.

I saw that. Very bizarre indeed and I don't think the punishment fits the crime unless she was engaging in sexual activity with underage students. Funny (or maybe not) how she looks closer to her actual age in the mugshot LOL

It was fraud and the giving of fictitious information. A con/scam. On top of that, she was in the process trying to get more aid. The charges are pretty fitting. Her being on a $500 bond is not that bad, either. It's still a lot to most people, but it's a pretty small amount in general.
    When I hear terms like "hipster" I think, who told cliques they could leave high school??

[SIGPIC][/SIGPIC]
    No to derail, but what in the O-O is up with the linked story about an Animal Rescuer who had the bodies of 300 birds, turtles and possums stacked 5ft deep in her moms house. No! No. You have to learn to let go. Circle of wildlife. Leave them alone.

[SIGPIC][/SIGPIC]
  • CurlyCanadianCurlyCanadian Posts: 10,904Registered Users, Curl Ambassador Curl Connoisseur
    Fifi.G wrote: »
    No to derail, but what in the O-O is up with the linked story about an Animal Rescuer who had the bodies of 300 birds, turtles and possums stacked 5ft deep in her moms house. No! No. You have to learn to let go. Circle of wildlife. Leave them alone.

That's so random!!! I was watching Weeds last night and this guy had 12 dead rabbits in boxes in his apartment!
    I believe in manicures. I believe in overdressing. I believe in primping at leisure and wearing lipstick. I believe in pink. I believe that laughing is the best calorie burner. I believe in kissing, kissing a lot. I believe in being strong when everything seems to be going wrong. I believe that happy girls are the prettiest girls. I believe that tomorrow is another day and I believe in miracles.
    Audrey Hepburn

That's so random!!! I was watching Weeds last night and this guy had 12 dead rabbits in boxes in his apartment!

Little boxes, on the hillside, little boxes made of ticky tacky little boxes on the hillside... just don't look inside!

That is creepy.

[SIGPIC][/SIGPIC]
  • CurlyCanadianCurlyCanadian Posts: 10,904Registered Users, Curl Ambassador Curl Connoisseur
    I didn't even think of that!!!!
    Audrey Hepburn
  • nes223nes223 Posts: 347Registered Users
    This reminds me of a documentary called The Imposter.. I believe it's on netflix. It's about a man who pretended to be a teenager who had been missing for 3 years. He lived with the missing teens family and everything. They really thought it was him. The missing teens name was Nicholas Barclay
    -nes
    3a/3b
  • multicultcurlymulticultcurly Posts: 5,136Registered Users Curl Connoisseur
    That is incredibly strange. I would like to know her reasoning behind impersonation. I am sure the people who took her in and mentored her were perplexed and upset. I don't know what her situation is but it is still taking advantage of others kindness under false pretenses.

Me too. I winder if she has a personality disorder? Strange.

Sent from my SPH-L710 using CurlTalk App
    3b/c, medium-coarse, low porosity, high density
    HG: Jessicurl Too Shea and Kinky Curly Curling Custard
    Shampoo: nonsulfate shampoo and Suave Naturals sulfate shampoo when needed

Me too. I winder if she has a personality disorder? Strange.

Sent from my SPH-L710 using CurlTalk App

That crossed my mind. Some type of MH problem is possible. The way she kept fake accounts going and was trying to get money from an Org that helps needy children... I don't know. It could have been done with a perfectly clear head, too. You actually see many more women charged with fraud. I would venture to say it is one of the top crimes they perpetrate.

*I do hope she got a psych evaluation, but who knows. Mental Health facilities are not in a good place.

[SIGPIC][/SIGPIC]
    nes223 wrote: »
    This reminds me of a documentary called The Imposter.. I believe it's on netflix. It's about a man who pretended to be a teenager who had been missing for 3 years. He lived with the missing teens family and everything. They really thought it was him. The missing teens name was Nicholas Barclay

I remember hearing a story about that. It happened in 1997 or 8. If I am not mistaken the impostor is right around my age. He was in his early 20s, had a very bad and loveless childhood (familiar story of many at that time) and impersonated missing children so he would know what it was like to have parents that loved him. Very odd circumstances and he never asked for or went after money. Just a good home. I wanted to watch that. I know the story is far more involved. And sad, on a few levels.

*Yep. I wanted to double to check and make sure that was the same documentary I read about. It really is a mind blowing story. He was still impersonating people until 2005, and on several occasions someone from a completely different country. He's married with 4 kids now and apparently has not impersonated anyone since getting a family of his own.

[SIGPIC][/SIGPIC]
  • fraufrau Posts: 6,130Registered Users Curl Neophyte
    this thread has me all :shock:
    I was looking at this last night

http://abcnews.go.com/US/34-year-sneak-back-high-school/story?id=23763626

ABC speculated about the why's. Mental health issues, wanting to erase the past, wanting love she did not get in childhood, or just needing a place to live. I read over the older links in this about the Florida teen posing as a physicians assistant and police officer in 2012. Good gawd! He was doing CPR and exams on people.

I also came across this. They correct some info they first reported which was not true and then talk to a teen this woman worked with. It seems she had slightly different stories for everyone

"Cooper says Johnson talked about saving her money to take a trip to California. "She was going by herself. She was going to visit her mom, or something," Cooper remembered. "She was going to help her out and then come back."

http://m.msnewsnow.com/#!/newsDetail/25557997

(And just random because it was going to drive me crazy if I did not look... Women committing "pink collar fraud" has increased 40% since the 90s. Not corporate mind you. There is usually a great deal of trust in these cases, and the sum is smaller.)

[SIGPIC][/SIGPIC]
  • DaniGirl88DaniGirl88 Posts: 1,583Registered Users Curl Neophyte
    This just makes me wonder.
    [SIGPIC][/SIGPIC]

3B, fine, normal porosity, high density, medium width and length
    Conditioner: Tresemme Naturals, Trader Joe's Tea Tree Tingle
    Co-Wash: As I Am Coconut Co-Wash
    Leave in Products: As I Am Leave-In, SM Smoothie/Milk, KCKT, Giovanni Direct Leave-In
    Air Dry

Looking for new products and methods to try!

• fraufrau Posts: 6,130Registered Users Curl Neophyte
    my post made no sense...
  • VoluminousGirlyVoluminousGirly Posts: 219Registered Users
    How did they not find out through official papers or something???
    Sing with Barney tune:
    Frizz loves me
    I hate frizz
    It sticks to me
    like a kid
    with some creams
    and some gel
    and then nothing does the trick
    Please help me
    My curly friends.
    :afro:
    frau wrote: »
    my post made no sense...

Yes it did ;) It is a bizarre story, but on a positive note she is talented with makeup/accessories and photoshop.

Maybe they find a little more at some point. I have to agree with ABC. Clearly something has to be wrong if you want to go back to high school.

[SIGPIC][/SIGPIC]
    How did they not find out through official papers or something???

She told her "guardian" she was home schooled and that, in turn, is what her guardian told the school. They did not think she had official school transcripts or anything else.

She actually did get busted when the agency for teens/young people in need she was trying to get assistance from did a background check. Something about the situation was not sitting right with them. It is good they checked. Background checks are not a common in schools. Making sure kids are enrolled and getting an education is most important.

[SIGPIC][/SIGPIC]
    I had no idea so many people had done this. Not that it is an incredibly large number, by any means. Not even close when you look at the big picture. I just have not heard many stories about it, other than the most infamous.

If anyone is interested...

http://m.newyorker.com/reporting/2008/08/11/080811fa_fact_grann?currentPage=all

This is a 2008 piece from The New Yorker about the French Serial Child Imposter, Frederic Bourdin (The Imposter). This is one of the craziest stories, ever. I don't even know how half of this happened. (I do love that his mother called him a liar in this. She abandoned him at 2 and he never knew his father. Yes, he did lie, but it's not like she knows him).

And 8 other cases of people impersonating students

http://www.thefrisky.com/2012-06-13/8-strange-cases-of-adults-impersonating-teenagers/

^ some of those are pretty creepy

[SIGPIC][/SIGPIC]
  • AjidahkAjidahk Posts: 1,212Registered Users Curl Neophyte
    This story kind of reminds me of the movie Orphan. Anyone see that movie? For those who haven't seen it, it's about a family who adopts a girl from an orphanage who turns out to be a 33 year-old woman. The woman posing as a child was violent though...
    Hair Type: 4a with 3c sections...frizzy,wavy,bushy,curly

Leave a Comment

BoldItalicStrikethroughOrdered listUnordered list
Emoji
Align leftAlign centerAlign rightToggle HTML viewToggle full pageToggle lights
Drop image/file