CurlTalk

How to fix overconditioned hair?

amtsergamtserg Posts: 52Registered Users
Hi!

So my waves have been lacking definiton for the past month or so and I thought it was because I had cut 3 1/2 inches off, but this past Friday, I was stunned to find out that the "shampoo" I had been using was actually conditioner. (The bottles looked very similar and have a small font!!! And the area I go to school in has hard water, so I attributed the lack of lather to that...I'm a dummy, I know)

This meant that I was using THREE conditioners every other day in the shower! (Typically I use a regular conditioner and then a daily deep conditioner because I have colored hair over bleach, and then only shampoo every other day.)

Anyway, as soon as I found out my mistake, I washed my hair with my regular shampoo and my hair was back to its usual self...for one day. It's now a number of days later and, despite actually using shampoo, my hair has gone back to the overconditioned look!

What should I do?! I'm planning on washing my hair with a clarifying shampoo tonight, but since my hair is dyed, I was only going to do it once. Should that fix the problem? Should I wash it with clarifying shampoo weekly? Help!

(PS. If it's relevant, the shampoo and conditioner I regularly use is the Loreal EverPure Sulfate-Free Color Care System, and the daily deep conditioner I use is Aussie Moist 3 Minute Miracle)

Comments

• KaZenner1990KaZenner1990 Posts: 859Registered Users
    I would use normal shampoo just to make sure and do 2 washes in one session then use a condish that has protein but that is me. Also I cowash so I would follow with that.

Your Aussie Moist has a cone in I think. When you say it's overconditioned is it frizzy too?

Sent from my GT-I9000 using CurlTalk App
    2C/3A Botticelli/Corkicelli.Growing out color/heat damage
    M/C, Low/Medium/High Por, Normal Elast. Medium Density
    LP: INSIGHT DAMAGED HAIR Restructurizing Shampoo
    CO: Generic protein conditioner, Hair Academy Deep Cleansing CO
    DET/RO/LI: GNC Avocado And Shea Butter Conditioner +/mask,
    Styler: Schwarzkopf Taft Fixing GelWellaflex Instant Volume Boost Mousse
    DT: EVOO, C.O
    HG
    Goal: WL when curly
    CG since Feb 2014
  • CGSince2002CGSince2002 Posts: 1,073Banned Users
    I would stop the Aussie 3MM, besides the 'cone(s), I don't see the need for everyday use. I have color over bleach too right now and after a few DTs my hair is just like it used to be. CG + protein and moisturizing DTs can rehabilitate moderately damaged hair pretty fast, that's what I experienced in the very beginning too. You may want to include a bit of oil added to your LI if it doesn't have any but that would be about it.
    Joined Curltalk 1st time in early '02 shortly after starting CG. I'm a non-practicing Cosmetologist.
    Hair: color-treated, mostly 3A.
    CO-wash: VO5 K&L
    RO: SpaHaus Salon w/OO, VO5 Shea Cashmere, W.R. Trop. Coconut, Daily Defense Moisturizing & others.
    LI: Beautiful Curls w/Shea Butter & C.O., Hollywood Beauty OO Creme, VO5 K&L, Aveda Be Curly Curl Enhancer.
    Gels: LAL Wet Look, ORS Lock & Twist.
    Oils: Jojoba, EVCO & Africa's Best Ultimate Herbal Oil

• wavydazewavydaze Posts: 2,061Registered Users
    Clarify then do a protein treatment.

If you're getting OC-ed you probably don't need so much deep conditioner.
    2bc/ f / ii. low porosity roots + normal-high porosity shaft where bleached. normal elasticity.

Currently using:
    Poo: Earthbath Oatmeal & Aloe
    RO: V05 Kiwi Lime
    LI: CJ Smoothing Lotion
    Styler: UFD CM, CJ PP
    PT: CJ Repair Me

:thumright: hydrolized protein, jelly stylers
    :angry8: guar hydroxypropyltrimonium chloride, sulfates, jojoba oil
    Neutral on cones.

iherb discount code: CFN646