Is this doctor a jerk or what?

sKorpio1190sKorpio1190 Posts: 1,862Registered Users Curl Neophyte
I went to have oral surgery under IV sedation today. I was chewing gum unaware that it was not allowed, but I did not eat or drink for 10 hours. The doctor had his nurse tell me that he would not perform the surgery under sedation because of it. Ok, that's fine. I understand that. But then they refused to reschedule because "you wasted the doctor's time." Now is that not effed up?!? They were the only facility near me that would do it with sedation and now I'm screwed. I'm going home for the summer where my insurance is not covered and so now I don't know what I'm going to do. I'm so pissed!! My father was upset as well because he drove 7 hours to be here, wasted $300 for a hotel and lost time at work (he's a lawyer). He's going to complain about him to anyone that'll listen and so am I. Just wanted to get your opinions. I'm not mad about him not doing the surgery, just to be clear. I'm mad about the refusal to reschedule and kicking me out of the office, and now I won't be able to have this surgery for god knows how long.
Medium texture, normal porosity, normal elasticity :shock:

Comments

• sixelamysixelamy Posts: 4,157Registered Users Curl Novice
    I guess it depends on their policy. I would ask them if they have a policy in place that if you don't "correctly" prepare for your appointment, then you can't be seen again. If they say yes, ask to see a copy. If not, they don't have the right to refuse you. They may have considered this a "missed appointment", in which some companies have a policy in place. But usually they just charge you a fee for the missed appointment.
    2c-3a - med-coarse - normal-high porosity - high density
    :bunny:
    NP/LP: CJ Daily Fix, KMF Whenever / Giovanni TTTT
    RO/LI: Aussie Moist, CJ Argan & Olive Oil, Hask Keratin Protein
    DC/PROTEIN: KC Stellar Strands / CNPF
    STYLER: CJ Curl Queen
    COLOR: henna, amla & indigo
    :thumbdown:: glycerin in high/low dews, polyquat-10 & 11, parabens
  • SpiralliSpiralli Posts: 3,684Registered Users Curl Connoisseur
    I'm sorry that happened to you, and to your father. I wouldn't have thought that chewing gum could adversely impact oral surgery, but in any event, that should have been written in your pre-op/procedure instructions if that was a deal-breaker. I hope an alternative date/doctor works out for you as quickly as possible!
    Type: 3b/3c (i), below shoulder length.
    CO wash: A-O GPB LYY, Desert Essence Coconut, Oribe Silverati
    Leave-ins: Curl Junkie Beauti-Curls, KCKT, cno overnight
    Styling: BRHG, MGA Sculpting Gel, A-O Mandarin Magic Gel, LOTD AVG, LALSG, CJ Pattern Pusha
    DT: Curl Junkie Deep Fix, Briogeo Don't Despair Repair!
  • PoPo Posts: 2,607Registered Users
    That doesn't make any sense. I thought the reason that you aren't supposed to eat or drink before sedation is because of the risk of pulmonary aspiration (I heard the risk of this is actually pretty low). You haven't consumed anything besides your own saliva...
    3c/4a
  • PoPo Posts: 2,607Registered Users
    The second article that comes up on Google when searching for "chewing gum before oral surgery" states that gum does not increase gastric fluid and there is little to no risk.

Anyway, the dentist is a jerk.
    3c/4a
  • DedachanDedachan Posts: 1,644Registered Users Curl Neophyte
    Jerk!
  • BluebloodBlueblood Posts: 1,748Registered Users Curl Neophyte
    Dedachan wrote: »
    Jerk!

Agree.

When I had a GA I was actually laughed at by the nurse who I asked "Can I clean my teeth?" "Can I chew gum?"

If they didn't want you to do these things then in the written instruction notes they give you before hand they should clearly state you shouldn't do these things.

I know you can complain to their professional bodies if they don't warn you of possible side-effects as well as sue them, but I wonder if you can complain about not warning you before hand.
  • sKorpio1190sKorpio1190 Posts: 1,862Registered Users Curl Neophyte
    Thanks all! I'm glad to see that you agree. I checked all the papers I was given and on their website, and no where does it mention gum or missed appointments or anything of the sort. And as someone else said, I would expect perhaps a fee, but to refuse me altogether? That's just outrageous!! And I saw the article about the gastric acid and seriously, I think the man had a bias against me from the beginning, because his receptionist had a bad attitude as well. When my parents were out parking the car she snapped at me thinking I came without someone to drive me home. I told her they were coming behind me and she caught an attitude and said that the doctor won't even see me if they aren't here. Overall it's probably best that that ******* didn't touch me, but I just feel terrible for my father for losing all this money in the process
  • The New BlackThe New Black Posts: 16,754Registered Users Curl Connoisseur
    YES he's a jerk. You should tell him you're reporting him to the dental board for wasting YOUR time by not informing you of important precautions before your procedure. The situation sounds like it was entirely his fault. Have your dad send him a bill for his expenses too.
    montage-3.gif No MAS.

I am the new Black.

"Hope the Mail are saving space tomorrow for Samantha Brick's reaction piece on the reactions to her piece about the reactions to her piece." ~ Tweet reposted by Rou.
  • sixelamysixelamy Posts: 4,157Registered Users Curl Novice
    Then yes, he's a jerk and so is his office. I would report the company.
    2c-3a - med-coarse - normal-high porosity - high density
    :bunny:
    NP/LP: CJ Daily Fix, KMF Whenever / Giovanni TTTT
    RO/LI: Aussie Moist, CJ Argan & Olive Oil, Hask Keratin Protein
    DC/PROTEIN: KC Stellar Strands / CNPF
    STYLER: CJ Curl Queen
    COLOR: henna, amla & indigo
    :thumbdown:: glycerin in high/low dews, polyquat-10 & 11, parabens
    YES he's a jerk. You should tell him you're reporting him to the dental board for wasting YOUR time by not informing you of important precautions before your procedure. The situation sounds like it was entirely his fault. Have your dad send him a bill for his expenses too.

😱 that's a really good idea! Thank you!
    I reported him to the better business bureau and next I will move on to the dental board as The New Black suggested
    I emailed all of the boards to which he belongs, asking how to file formal complaints. But for now, I have complained to the BBB and tomorrow I am mailing a letter to the state department of health, office of professional medical conduct
  • CurlyCanadianCurlyCanadian Posts: 10,904Registered Users, Curl Ambassador Curl Connoisseur
    Your Dad is a lawyer? He should sending him a letter asking that he cover all the expenses that were incurred!
    I believe in manicures. I believe in overdressing. I believe in primping at leisure and wearing lipstick. I believe in pink. I believe that laughing is the best calorie burner. I believe in kissing, kissing a lot. I believe in being strong when everything seems to be going wrong. I believe that happy girls are the prettiest girls. I believe that tomorrow is another day and I believe in miracles.
    Audrey Hepburn
    I complained to the dental board, BBB, and the state department of health. I also left a bad review for him on yelp. However, he refused to sign for the certified letter that my father sent him >:/ I don't know what else to do right now but he WILL read that letter if I have to drive it there myself!
  • BluebloodBlueblood Posts: 1,748Registered Users Curl Neophyte
    I complained to the dental board, BBB, and the state department of health. I also left a bad review for him on yelp. However, he refused to sign for the certified letter that my father sent him >:/ I don't know what else to do right now but he WILL read that letter if I have to drive it there myself!

Take a "witness"* with you and hand deliver the letter.

If he refuses to sign for it least you have a witness to say his office received it.

The dentist obviously thinks the letter is a law suit which it isn't yet.

*Preferably a friend with a job that sounds responsible.
    It's probably for the best that he didn't perform the surgery after seeing what an ass he is. Maybe that split second decision to chew gum saved my butt :-/
    He never signed for the letter my father sent him (certified mail) -___-
  • WiregirlWiregirl Posts: 1,695Registered Users
    Wow you are way off base here. I worked for an oral surgeon for 14 years, you got the pre op. instructions nothing by mouth before surgery. Why should he waste his time rescheduling you, you wasted his!
    There is no law that says he needs to treat you.
    Well lady, so far everyone I have spoken to disagrees. To start, I'm well aware of what the laws are, so let's not go there. The instructions said "nothing to eat or drink," not "nothing by mouth" as you put it. I did not eat or drink for 10 hours and I drove an hour to arrive at this place half hour early, and to scolded for it, but let's not get into that. The average person does not think of chewing gum as eating. No one explained anything to me. And the fact that the doctor never even had the curtesy or the balls to come out and tell me himself that's he's not performing the surgery says a lot. His staff was rude and unprofessional as well. It was a punitive measure for something stupid, because I did follow the instructions AS THEY WERE WRITTEN. I wasted an hour of his time? I think the amount of money and time wasted by my father is more than his hour. Anyway, common decency would be to reschedule me, and charge me a fee or something, but to tell me to get out? You can't tell me that was professional by any means.
  • WiregirlWiregirl Posts: 1,695Registered Users
    Sorry but I don't agree with you! Good luck on your search for justice.
  • scrillsscrills Posts: 6,700Registered Users
    Interesting. I can see how frustrating this situation could be, but...

- The instructions could have been clear, but I would have considered gum "eating/drinking" and avoided it. but hindsight is 20/20

- I think Wiregirl's post is helpful as she worked in the industry

- I don't think the doctor should have to come out. That's what he has staff for.

- i think refusing to see you without confirming a ride home is common.

- I think time was wasted on both sides

were you able to find another facility?

Leave a Comment

BoldItalicStrikethroughOrdered listUnordered list
Emoji
Align leftAlign centerAlign rightToggle HTML viewToggle full pageToggle lights
Drop image/file