Deva Curl Products

I know we should use the search feature but the info on Deva Curl products is too widely scattered. I have been using No Poo and One C for about 2 years now (since before I read the CG book). After I read the book, I began to use Suave Coconut Naturals condish and V05 Kiwi Lime condish as an alternate. Shampoo with No Poo once a week and cowash in between. Every other day during week I do nothing.

I am not totally happy with that formula. Why....on days I use the DC No Poo, One C, my hair is bright and shiny but the curl and look is not the best. On days I co wash with Suave or V05, the hair itself, curl, looks it's best but the shine is not really there. That part makes sense to me since I didn't technically poo it. But there must be something in the DC products my hair doesn't do its best with. As you can see, my gray hair is growing in so I am obsessing with shine, overall looks right now.

I am not looking for alternative products to use, just tell me what you don't like about the DC products and I'll research products from there. Thank you for any help.
[SIGPIC][/SIGPIC]______
3a, med porous, low density
Poo: Have to admit I have recently become a Wen convert. Love it. I have always had problems with my hair "hanging" right, curling uniformly and destorting the perimeter line. Wen makes it hang evenly.

Comments

• kathymackkathymack Posts: 9,999Registered Users Curl Neophyte
    The Deva NoPoo has Polyquaternium-7. My hair doesn't like polyquats, especially 4, 7 and 10. They coat my hair and cause problems--frizz when wet. They are also hard to remove--several shampoos with a stronger surfactant.
    3a (Corkicelli), highlighted, fine, low porosity
    SE PA

HGs: Anything Sevi; Curly Kinks Satin Roots, Curlycue ReNew and Coil Jam; homemade FSG and okra gel; soap bars; UFD Curly Magic; Botanical Spirits Jellies, CJ Repair Me, Aloe Fix
    [SIGPIC][/SIGPIC]
  • artemis513artemis513 Posts: 666Registered Users Curl Neophyte
    Devacurl has a new shine spray now, just fyi.

I like the No Poo when I used it alright. I have used OneC in the past and I found that I needed to alternate it with another conditioner that had a dash of protein in it. Other than that (and I don't really prefer the scent of OneC), no issues; I plan on buying a large bottle of it eventually (current cult fan of Curl Junkie so it'll be a while).

"...look and curl is not its best?" What does that mean? Like, droopy? You are alternating lighter and heavier more coating products, so maybe you need to cut one or the other out...And are you using DevaCurl or DevaCARE? Care is richer.
    4a/3c, fine strands, low porosity, medium density
    Last relaxer: Jan 2010 - BC'd: 2/27/11
    My Fotki
    My Blog
  • starznthingsstarznthings Posts: 49Registered Users
    My hair is all gray. I use Deva Products. I alternate between Deva Care and Deva Curl. I recently injected something else into my routine. I found a shampoo, I don't even know if it is new or discontinued...the bottle says Neutrogena Shampoo "Anti-Residue Formula". If I feel my hair is getting heavy, coated or lifeless, I use that. It's pretty gentle for a sulfate shampoo, and it is colorless as well. It's like a fresh start.

Also, I seem to have better results using Deva Care or Deva Curl LO-POO. My scalp feels cleaner and my hair is very shiny. I can use the No-Poo here and there, whenever. My hair is the type that frizzes if you look at it crooked, so I think it looks pretty good. I haven't found anything out there that I can use long term, and I always end up going back to Deva products.

In fact, I went for two months trying different products I researched here, spending a cool $100 or more, and didn't receive one single good comment about my hair, and it looked pretty awful. Two separate times shampooing with the Neutrogena mentioned above, then using Deva One Condition (Curl or Care) and Deva Gel (any one), then afterwards using Deva LO-POO, One Condition and Deva Gel and the compliments are rolling in again. I know everything works differently for everyone, but this seems to be working for me now. And, I have no brassiness, no yellowing, nothing. Hope that helps.

P.S. Next time I do my hair, I will use the Deva No Poo. I do my hair every 3 days. Using No Poo gives my hair a rest, so to speak.
    Once upon a time, on a clear moonlit night, I counted all the stars in the sky. :love10: :sleepy2:
  • CurlyInParadiseCurlyInParadise Posts: 137Registered Users
    Artemis - curl does not look its best as in more frizz, curls are smaller and less clumped.

Starz - I use Deva Curl vs Care because I am worried about the yellow and red in the ingredients in the Deva Care products turning my white hair yellow. I actually have never used the Low Poo before tho and could try it. I have never thought the No Poo did not cleanse well enough hence stuck with it vs the Low.
    [SIGPIC][/SIGPIC]______
    Poo: Have to admit I have recently become a Wen convert. Love it. I have always had problems with my hair "hanging" right, curling uniformly and destorting the perimeter line. Wen makes it hang evenly.
  • artemis513artemis513 Posts: 666Registered Users Curl Neophyte
    Hmm, more frizz, smaller curl and less clumped for me would mean the hair is too coated in product. That's what happens to my hair when I use too much oil...maybe decrease frequency of use of that combo?
    4a/3c, fine strands, low porosity, medium density
    Last relaxer: Jan 2010 - BC'd: 2/27/11
    My Fotki
    My Blog
  • starznthingsstarznthings Posts: 49Registered Users
    Artemis - curl does not look its best as in more frizz, curls are smaller and less clumped.

Starz - I use Deva Curl vs Care because I am worried about the yellow and red in the ingredients in the Deva Care products turning my white hair yellow. I actually have never used the Low Poo before tho and could try it. I have never thought the No Poo did not cleanse well enough hence stuck with it vs the Low.

CurlyInParadise - Sorry it took me so long to respond. Well, you will never believe this. I suppose I must have read the ingredients in the Deva Care LoPoo, NoPoo and One Condition before, and I am sure that I saw that there was red and yellow dye in there, but forgot. Anyhoo, thanks for bringing it to my attention.

I think the reason I forgot is because it has never turned my hair any color and I've been growing out the gray for a really long time. I've also been varying degrees of blonde, and it had no effect on that either (and trust me, I am a obsessed when it comes to my hair). That being said, I would personally die if you used the stuff and it turned your hair yellow, so do what you feel is best.

The other thing I wanted to say is that while I felt like the No Poo did clean my scalp and hair, after like 3 times, my hair felt heavy and it was less shiny, but very soft. That's why I would use the LoPoo in between. Well, I hope I haven't confused you futher. Good luck and I'm sure you will find the right balance of products soon!
    Once upon a time, on a clear moonlit night, I counted all the stars in the sky. :love10: :sleepy2:
  • CurlyInParadiseCurlyInParadise Posts: 137Registered Users
    Thanks so much Starz, I haven't yet but I am going to try the LoPoo. I never thought about it before because I have no problem at all with the cleansing effects of the Deva NoPoo or any CG type co wash product. But since I do think the dull look is coming from buildup I am going to try the DC LoPoo.

And as far as those dyes in the DC Care products, I did not experience that personally but was advised of that in my early transition to growing out my gray, I followed that advice since my hair is coming in so white. But I don't really know if Deva Care really has enough of those red/yell dyed ingredients to make a difference.
    [SIGPIC][/SIGPIC]______

Leave a Comment

BoldItalicStrikethroughOrdered listUnordered list
Emoji
Align leftAlign centerAlign rightToggle HTML viewToggle full pageToggle lights
Drop image/file