CurlTalk

Ecostyler gel reformulation!

AnsleyBirch13AnsleyBirch13 Posts: 180Registered Users
ImageUploadedByCurlTalk1400373314.737122.jpgImageUploadedByCurlTalk1400373351.019407.jpg

The first picture is the old ingredient list, the second is the new. There's been a slight reformation. The gel is way less sticky, thick, and goopy now, and I like it better this way. I'm definitely loving this new one more! Just wanted to let y'all know! Maybe if you didn't like it before you can give it another try.

Comments

• chupiechupie Posts: 5,270Registered Users Curl Neophyte
    ImageUploadedByCurlTalk1400373314.737122.jpgImageUploadedByCurlTalk1400373351.019407.jpg

The first picture is the old ingredient list, the second is the new. There's been a slight reformation. The gel is way less sticky, thick, and goopy now, and I like it better this way. I'm definitely loving this new one more! Just wanted to let y'all know! Maybe if you didn't like it before you can give it another try.

Which flavor?
  • CurlyDiva71CurlyDiva71 Posts: 130Registered Users
    I just started using EcoStyler Krystal recently, and it's become my new HG gel. I really hope I will still like the new one. Ugh!

3A, a mix of boticelli, corkicelli, and a few s-waves, baby fine, naturally porous, medium/high density

Pre-poo: coconut oil
    Co-wash: TJ's Tea Tree Tingle, Sauve Naturals, VO5, As I Am coconut co-wash
    Conditioner: TJ's Nourish, Tresseme Naturals, Sauve Naturals coconut, SM Coconut & Hibiscus
    LI: KCKT
    Styling: DevaCurl Light Defining Gel, HETT Mousse (HG's!)
    EcoStyler Krystal (new HG!!!), BRHG
    coconut oil or jojoba oil to SOTC
    Color treated with demi-permanent color to cover first grays
  • cheesycurlscheesycurls Posts: 16Registered Users
    chupie wrote: »

Which flavor?

It looks like the olive oil one. I saw the pink one being sold for next to nothing in several of my local bbs. So I think they are going to either get rid of that one or reformulate.

Sent from my GT-I9001 using CurlTalk App
  • AnsleyBirch13AnsleyBirch13 Posts: 180Registered Users
    chupie wrote: »

Which flavor?

It looks like the olive oil one. I saw the pink one being sold for next to nothing in several of my local bbs. So I think they are going to either get rid of that one or reformulate.

Sent from my GT-I9001 using CurlTalk App

It's the olive oil one!
  • CurlsnswirlsCurlsnswirls Posts: 865Registered Users
    I'm having a hard time reading the ingredients. Is there a link for a site that shows the new and old ingredients?
  • tengoRizostengoRizos Posts: 195Registered Users
    This scared me. I just discovered this gel is my HG. Luckily it's the new formula I like :) sigh of relief!
    2c/3a mix and very fine, normal porosity
    Shampoo: Loreal EverSleek Sulfate-free (Only 1 or 2x a week)

CoWash Suave Naturals Coconut or VO5 Kiwi Lime Squeeze

Rinse Out: Giovanni 2chic Avocado and Olive Oil or GVPCB

Leave in: More Suave Naturals Coconut or GVPCB Always diluted with water/epsom salt spray

Products: AG Re:coil with EcoStyler Olive Oil gel or HETT gel

tengoRizos wrote: »
    This scared me. I just discovered this gel is my HG. Luckily it's the new formula I like :) sigh of relief!

Yeah I'm liking the new formula better !
  • Geek_ChicGeek_Chic Posts: 1,255Registered Users
    I'm having a hard time reading the ingredients. Is there a link for a site that shows the new and old ingredients?

Can't find a site with the new, but I did find the old.

Old Formula = Water, Carbomer, Hydrolyzed Wheat Protein, PVP, Glycerin, Triethanolamine, Sodium Hydroxymethoxyglycinate, Polysorbate 20, Tetrasodium EDTA, Olive Oil, Fragrance, Blue #1, Yellow #11, Love and Pride.

New Formula (as best I can tell from the pic) = Water, Carbomer, Hydrolyzed Wheat Protein, Glycerin, Amino-2 Methyl 1(?) Propanol, Sodium Methoxyglycinate, Polysorbate 20, Tetrasodium EDTA, Olive Oil, Fragrance, (something), Yellow 9, Love and pride.
    CG since 11/2011
    2c /3a F /Mii, low porosity

Go To Products /Routine:
    Clarifying: Suave Essentials Strawberry
    Low Poo: Renpure Luxurious Argan Oil
    CO: Suave Essentials Strawberry, V05 Kiwi Lime
    RO /LI: Tresemme Perfectly (un)Done, Cure Care, V05 Kiwi Lime Squeeze, Suave Essentials Strawberry, Renpure Brazilian Keratin (old formula)
    Stylers: LALSG, AIF, HETT, Suave Professionals Firm Control
    PT: IAGirl's as needed
    Thank you. How is the hold? The old formula was a medium hold for me. What is it you're liking more about the new formula? Thanks :).
  • SmilingElephantSmilingElephant Posts: 666Registered Users
    I actually like both formulas :) I didn't even notice a difference lol.

I still add a little water to it when applying it but I really love it still!

I think it's the LOVE and PRIDE ingredients that my hair really likes... So maybe that's why I didn't notice.... Lol
    Sent from my LG-LG730 using CurlTalk App
    2yrs 7 months post relaxer/2 years and 11 months natural

Cleanse: SM Moisture Retention or Suave Naturals shampoos
    Co-Wash: Suave Naturals, L'Oreal EverCreme or EverCurl
    RO/Detangler: Tresseme Naturals:nemo:, GVPCB
    Leave-In: SM Curl Enhancing Smoothie, TN, GVPCB
    Styler: EcoStyler, GF Pure Clean gel, KCCC

Just discovering my hair likes protein! :dontknow:

:wav:
    Thank you. How is the hold? The old formula was a medium hold for me. What is it you're liking more about the new formula? Thanks :).

I like that it's not as thick and sticky. Also, it's harder to get crunchy, hard hair. The old formula made it easy to get hard hair. I also find that it's easier to distribute through my hair
    Ok thank you . :toothy4:
    Ok thank you . :toothy4:

Welcome! Also, I feel like it works better on my hair. Not as drying and less frizz
  • artemis513artemis513 Posts: 666Registered Users
    Ahh...they removed the PVP! I think more people will like it a lot more now. I have a jar of the new Argan oil one, haven't tried it yet (still working out of the old jar) but this should be a nice change.

Whenever someone complains about Eco and folks go to blaming the glycerin or wheat protein, I often want to scream at my laptop because it's usually the PVP and most don't even realize lol. PVP is very very bratty.
    4a/3c, fine strands, low porosity, medium density
    Last relaxer: Jan 2010 - BC'd: 2/27/11
    My Fotki
    My Blog
  • tengoRizostengoRizos Posts: 195Registered Users
    What leave-in do you use under the gel? And do you rake, smooth, or scrunch it in?
    2c/3a mix and very fine, normal porosity
    Shampoo: Loreal EverSleek Sulfate-free (Only 1 or 2x a week)

CoWash Suave Naturals Coconut or VO5 Kiwi Lime Squeeze

Rinse Out: Giovanni 2chic Avocado and Olive Oil or GVPCB

Leave in: More Suave Naturals Coconut or GVPCB Always diluted with water/epsom salt spray

Products: AG Re:coil with EcoStyler Olive Oil gel or HETT gel

What leave-in do you use under the gel? And do you rake, smooth, or scrunch it in?

I use the oyin hair dew, Shea moisture curl enhancing smoothie, and then the eco styler olive oil gel. And I rake it in. I find this really distributes gel the best

I use the oyin hair dew, Shea moisture curl enhancing smoothie, and then the eco styler olive oil gel. And I rake it in. I find this really distributes gel the best

This is my HG routine too. I can't ever see myself changing it. I used to use coconut oil but couldn't tell a difference,
    But now I'm going to try it again to see because I already know that my hair loves this routine so I can really see how the coconut oil will work
  • MaciMaci Posts: 180Registered Users
    I bought the new argan formula. Love the clean light smell. It dried in a reasonable time.

I've used both As I Am LI and Darcy's coconut & aloe pudding underneath. I got good springy curls, but a good amount of surface frizz too. Used a egg-sized blob in below ears length hair. I might need to use more or use a serum on top.

Not sure if the frizz is from dryness or not enough hold. My hair is medium porosity, but thick and coarse. I'm not sure if I like this. I usually like my hair to look very defined but some my say it looks product-y. This looks really natural - like I have no product in my hair.

I also bought the new pink version. I'm almost afraid to try it because the hold is 6 or 7. The Argan is a 10 hold level and it looks like a 2 in my coarse hair. I might get the new olive oil version. The old olive had good hold for me but took forever to dry.

Hmmm......the jury is still out. But it's fun to play with inexpensive gels.
    Spirals, curls & waves, Med-Coarse Texture, Med Porosity, Low Elasticity
  • ReservechicReservechic Posts: 798Registered Users
    I had started using Ecostyler gel before it became very popular. I started with the clear version then, I went back and forth between using the olive oil and argan oil versions. And, the last version that I actually tried was the pink colored one for curly hair.

I never got the flaking that others have spoken about. However, whenever I've used any Ecostyler gel, I've only used it by itself with nothing underneath it.

Every Ecostyler gel I've ever used would leave my hair very dry, no matter the hold. And, when I started using it over a long extended period of time last year, while keeping my hair in a protective style (bun), my hair started to get extremely brittle and began breaking off at the ends. So, I ended up having to cut my hair to help in remedying the damage. Also, that's when I switched to wearing my hair down and using different products in my hair as well.

I did try another gel much later on after my hair had rebounded from such damage. The gel I tried was Long Aid Activator Gel which I really like. It defines my curls without any crunch and it leaves my hair feeling moisturized without having to add anything else to it. But, I have found the most success through the use of creams and liquids in my hair. That's what I currently use and is working best for my hair at the moment. As, it's been around 90 degrees where I live at with the humidity just as high.

However, a while back while I was cruising the isle in Sally's I noticed that they had Ecostyler Gel on sale for less than $3. So, I decided to pick up a jar of the olive oil version and I noticed that there was a difference with the jar. And, when I turned over the jar, I noticed that the ingredients weren't the same. I decided to take advantage of the sale and I bought 3 of the olive oil gel version. I have yet to try the new formulation. I hope that it will not cause any problems with my hair, as I am not looking to go through another setback. Right now, my hair is at lower bra strap length, and I would hate to have to go through another cut due to damage.

I will eventually try the new version, just a bit scared to take that leap just yet.
    Diagnosed with Scalp Eczema 6/2015
    (Don't hair type/loose curl pattern/fine texture/low density/high porosity

Current Regimen (Ayurvedic Based):
    Cleansers- Bobeam Shampoo Bars
    Stylers-Rotate between Camille Rose Naturals Almond Jai Twisting Butter and Camille Rose Naturals Aloe Whipped Butter Gel

I only wear my hair in wash n gos or buns. Also,
    I do not use conditioner on my hair on a weekly basis. And, my hair is A ok with that!
  • NYCgirlNYCgirl Posts: 236Registered Users
    By chance did they remove the protein from this EcoStyler Gel?
    I stopped using EcoStyler due to the protein. Some feel the alcohol in gels is drying but the proteins in gels can be just as drying or even more drying.

Sent from my SCH-I535 using CurlTalk App
    • Oils: EVOO,JBCO, Almond Oil
    • Cleanse: SM JBCO Replenishing Shampoo, Jane Carter's Conditioning and Cleansing Co-Wash
    • Pre-poo: Trader Joe's Coconut Oil, Elucence Moisture Balancing Conditioner
    • LI: CRN The Leave-in Collection,
    • DC: LUSH Deep Conditioning Treatment by Miche Beauty, Cantu Deep Treatment Masque
    • PT: CJ Repair Me, Mielle Organics Babassu Oil Mint Deep Conditioner
    • Style: CRN Curl Maker, KCCC, WetLine Xtreme Gel, Cantu Coconut Curling Cream
  • adthomasadthomas Posts: 5,525Registered Users
    I picked up a new version at the Dollar Store today. I want to give it a try. None of the old Eco versions worked for me because PVP gives me horrible buildup and dryness. I bought the argon. I noticed the ones at my Sally's are old version. I guess they are waiting to reorder.
    Yes, it's real. No, you can't touch it. :wav:
    adthomas wrote: »
    I picked up a new version at the Dollar Store today. I want to give it a try. None of the old Eco versions worked for me because PVP gives me horrible buildup and dryness. I bought the argon. I noticed the ones at my Sally's are old version. I guess they are waiting to reorder.

Personally, i find the new one not drying at all whereas the old formulation was a little on the drying side. Hopefully it works for you!

Personally, i find the new one not drying at all whereas the old formulation was a little on the drying side. Hopefully it works for you!

Clap along if you feel like a room without a roof. :blob5:

I used this last night on a twistout after cowashing. I used it over a moisturizer which was a curl activator gel and skipped the oil. I was careful not to use a whole lot because I hate crunch, am buildup prone. Well, No flaking. No whiteness, No super hardness. My hair doesn't feel producty. Best hair this summer. So far thumbs up. Day two is the real test. See if I can get good second day hair.
  • secret_karmasecret_karma Posts: 438Registered Users
    Hmmm you all have me wanting to try this again. I swore off using gels but I have to do something in this humidity.

Clap along if you feel like a room without a roof. :blob5:

I used this last night on a twistout after cowashing. I used it over a moisturizer which was a curl activator gel and skipped the oil. I was careful not to use a whole lot because I hate crunch, am buildup prone. Well, No flaking. No whiteness, No super hardness. My hair doesn't feel producty. Best hair this summer. So far thumbs up. Day two is the real test. See if I can get good second day hair.

I am glad to hear that the new formulation is giving you such good results so far. I have only been hearing nothing but good things about the new formula thus far. Which is why, i am feeling better more and more about re-trying it in my hair. As the old formulation did cause problems with my hair to the point, where i swore i'd never touch another Ecostyler gel again.

Oh, i will definitely be sure to keep my fingers crossed about you getting 2nd day hair with it.

Stylers-Rotate between Camille Rose Naturals Almond Jai Twisting Butter and Camille Rose Naturals Aloe Whipped Butter Gel

I do not use conditioner on my hair on a weekly basis. And, my hair is A ok with that!
    I am not a big gel person either other than flaxseed. actually my hair is not touchably soft like I like but this humidity is no joke so I'm going to suck it up if my hair stays looking nice. Plus I probably need to do less touching anyway.

I always hated how so many people swore by the old formula and I tried green, pink, and blue and all were failures. I didn't bother with argon. I will let you know how day 2 goes.
    Last night my hair looked frizzy dry but that is my normal. My hair has to be mosturized daily with water no matter what. I spritzed and braided and added Shea to seal my ends. Satin scarf and bed. Today took my hair down. Looks good. Not super moisturizer or super dry which for summer is doing good for me. I really not expecting a day 3 out of this knowing my hair. But with the curl activator I used usually I can just rinse my hair and add a little more product instead of cowashing.
    Last night my hair looked frizzy dry but that is my normal. My hair has to be mosturized daily with water no matter what. I spritzed and braided and added Shea to seal my ends. Satin scarf and bed. Today took my hair down. Looks good. Not super moisturizer or super dry which for summer is doing good for me. I really not expecting a day 3 out of this knowing my hair. But with the curl activator I used usually I can just rinse my hair and add a little more product instead of cowashing.

Thanks for letting us know how Day 2 went.

• twirlygrannytwirlygranny Posts: 1,114Banned Users Curl Neophyte
    I'm still using up my Eco Styler Blue (hold level 5) but the gel that replaced Eco Styler for me is the Super Wet Aloe Vera Styling Gel and the Super Wet Maximum Hold Styling Gel. They are both clear and contain no pvp, protein or glycerin. They work with every leave-in or conditioner I use and there is no flaking, hard or dry hair at all even in freezing weather...best gel I've ever used and I've used quite a few in the past twelve years.
  • xocoilsxocoils Posts: 1Registered Users
    I bought the Eco Styler Gel Argan Oil formula and noticed that the packaging has changed (the writing). I went home and had a smaller container of another Argan Oil Gel and I looked at both! In the recent one I bought there was no PVP and no triethanolamine! I did some research and maybe that is a good thing. The reformulated one has way more bubbles (not that it could be something) and it is tackier in my opinion. The older formula is smoother. Both doesn't leave a white cast which is good! I have to use it continuously to see if it is better. On the Eco site the packaging is still the same, so whether the older one is phasing out (no se')

I have it in my hair now and it still has a crunch, not too bad though! I bought the 32oz. so I'll keep it. I also bought a 32oz pink (same formula). I switch between these too.

Side note: I took a feel of the blue (they have two blue sport and the reg. colour treated) and the yellow one and it felt more watery. I don't need to go outside the box too much...I'll stick to what I know and love and that's the PINK and the ARGAN OIL.