Strange Products

CurlyCanadianCurlyCanadian Posts: 10,904Registered Users, Curl Ambassador Curl Connoisseur
I keep hearing about this on different XM radio stations, it's just the strangest thing!!!

The ORIGINAL Squatty Potty toilet stool - Official Website

What strange products have you heard about? Ones that were awesome, or ones that left you thinking WTF?
I believe in manicures. I believe in overdressing. I believe in primping at leisure and wearing lipstick. I believe in pink. I believe that laughing is the best calorie burner. I believe in kissing, kissing a lot. I believe in being strong when everything seems to be going wrong. I believe that happy girls are the prettiest girls. I believe that tomorrow is another day and I believe in miracles.
Audrey Hepburn

Comments

• spiderlashes5000spiderlashes5000 Posts: 17,898Registered Users Curl Virtuoso
    I keep hearing about this on different XM radio stations, it's just the strangest thing!!!

The ORIGINAL Squatty Potty toilet stool - Official Website

What strange products have you heard about? Ones that were awesome, or ones that left you thinking WTF?

That looks very effective. For pooping and pushing out babies! Score!

I find nipple clamps very confusing. Why would you wear them?
    1.0x0.jpg

Also ACV with mother in it? How does that benefit me?
    apple-cider-vinegar.jpg

• DedachanDedachan Posts: 1,644Registered Users Curl Neophyte
    The stadium pal (if you never heard David Sedaris's take on it, google it!).
  • CurlyCanadianCurlyCanadian Posts: 10,904Registered Users, Curl Ambassador Curl Connoisseur
    I threw out a bottle of ACV with mother once because I thought it had turned. My Mom was pissed!!!
    I believe in manicures. I believe in overdressing. I believe in primping at leisure and wearing lipstick. I believe in pink. I believe that laughing is the best calorie burner. I believe in kissing, kissing a lot. I believe in being strong when everything seems to be going wrong. I believe that happy girls are the prettiest girls. I believe that tomorrow is another day and I believe in miracles.
    Audrey Hepburn
  • DedachanDedachan Posts: 1,644Registered Users Curl Neophyte
    That reminds me....Kombucha
  • Fifi.GFifi.G Posts: 15,490Registered Users Curl Neophyte
    Mother has all the good stuff in it, until they strain and process it out.

I would actually prefer people buy nipple clamps as opposed to using clothes pins. Have you ever seen that? Oh muh. Clothes pins attached to almost every exposed bit of skin. Down the thighs... I still understand that a little more than I do strange helmets (variations of the very early, heavy, fish bowl type astronaut helmets. Very human bobble head) and ... Nm. I might be here all day.

I have not heard of many new and unusual products. I find most things shown on infomercials to be completely useless, but it's not quite the same.
    When I hear terms like "hipster" I think, who told cliques they could leave high school??

[SIGPIC][/SIGPIC]
  • curlypearlcurlypearl Posts: 12,228Registered Users Curl Connoisseur
    Bumping because I think this is an interesting thread.

If you google strange new products you will find a host of bizarre new inventions.
    2/c Coarse hair med. density.
    Highly porous. Color over grey.
    I love all the Curl Junkie products. Still experimenting with gels and curl creams. Still hoping for 2nd day hair....
    Every day is a gift :flower:
  • StarmieStarmie Posts: 7,169Registered Users Curl Virtuoso
    One relatively recent commonplace thing I find odd is "no touch" liquid soap dispensers - the ones that squirt handwash out when you put your hand underneath. Does it matter if you touch a dispenser? You're touching it to get soap out to wash your hands!
    I just don't get it.
    3b in South Australia.
  • CurlyCanadianCurlyCanadian Posts: 10,904Registered Users, Curl Ambassador Curl Connoisseur
    Starmie wrote: »
    One relatively recent commonplace thing I find odd is "no touch" liquid soap dispensers - the ones that squirt handwash out when you put your hand underneath. Does it matter if you touch a dispenser? You're touching it to get soap out to wash your hands!
    I just don't get it.

I think these are fabulous!!!!! You're using soap cause your hands are dirty, you don't want that dirt all over the container.
    Audrey Hepburn
  • claudine191claudine191 Posts: 8,221Registered Users Curl Connoisseur
    Magnetic socks for diabetics.
    I just don't get it.

I think these are fabulous!!!!! You're using soap cause your hands are dirty, you don't want that dirt all over the container.

But I have regular soap dispensers in my bathrooms - they don't get dirty just from a quick press on the top!
    3b in South Australia.
  • RimiRimi Posts: 2,001Registered Users Curl Neophyte
    I just don't get it.

But I have regular soap dispensers in my bathrooms - they don't get dirty just from a quick press on the top!

Imagine, though, your bathroom dispenser in an airport bathroom, a national park bathroom, a theme park bathroom, a mall bathroom...

Gross!
    21 y/o lifelong natural {4a-O ; spongy ; coarse ; dense ; MBL stretched}

products {'poo: TJTTT shampoo | RO: TJTTT Condish | LI/style: TJTTT Condish, homemade cocoa butter cream | DC: condish + ayurvedic powder(s), Aussie 3MMM Treatment | PT: condish + NPF | oils: castor oil, grapeseed oil | other treatments: probiotics, tea rinses, AVG rinse/spritz, oil rinse | sealing method: LC sometimes O}

long-term: HL stretched, BSL unstretched

CG-friendly Products List!
  • spiderlashes5000spiderlashes5000 Posts: 17,898Registered Users Curl Virtuoso
    I just don't get it.

Studies have shown that bathrooms are filthy. Even residential ones. People carry a lot of fecal matter (containing rotavirus and other pathogens) out of the toilet area and deposit it on whatever they touch. If someone touches after them, they can ingest it and get sick or die. It's best to touch as little as possible w/ your hands in a bathroom...to cut contamination and transmission.

• PerriPPerriP Posts: 6,613Registered Users Curl Neophyte
    Modified CG since Dec 2011
  • juanabjuanab Posts: 4,037Registered Users Curl Neophyte

Studies have shown that bathrooms are filthy. Even residential ones. People carry a lot of fecal matter (containing rotavirus and other pathogens) out of the toilet area and deposit it on whatever they touch. If someone touches after them, they can ingest it and get sick or die. It's best to touch as little as possible w/ your hands in a bathroom...to cut contamination and transmission.

I think a lot of that has to do with people flushing with the toilet lid up. I read a study that was conducted years ago that basically stated, that fecal matter is distributed through the air in the mist emitted from a flushed toilet. If you think about it, it makes sense. Every since I read that, I always flush with lid down and sanitize the lid several times a week. I also use hand sanitizer after I wash my hands subsequent to using the toilet.

texture - medium/fine, porosity - low/normal, elasticity - normal
    co-wash - NaturelleGrow Coconut Water or Marshmallow Root, Slippery Elm Bark & Blue Malva Cleansing Conditioners
    LI - KCKT mixed w/ SM C & H Curl & Style Milk
    DC - NG Mango & Coconut H2O or Chamomile/Brdck Root
    Gel - SM souffle (winter), KCCC (summer) or CR Naturals Aloe Whipped Butter Gel (year round)
    Sealers - Virgin Coconut Oil, Avocado butter, Aloe butter
    Ayurvedic treatments - Jamila Henna, Sukesh, Aloe Vera Powder, Hibiscus Powder

event.png
    Rimi wrote: »

Imagine, though, your bathroom dispenser in an airport bathroom, a national park bathroom, a theme park bathroom, a mall bathroom...

Gross!

Yes they are gross in public places but, like I said, I'm washing my hands after touching them so it doesn't worry me (though I do touch them as lightly as possible!).
    3b in South Australia.

This is true but I still think they're a bit pointless - if someone touches the dispenser it's likely to be so they can wash their hands, so the germs that may be lurking on it will be washed away!
    I also think if the risk was that great that we'd be dropping like flies, seeing as we all use bathrooms several times a day.

I'd just like to make it clear that I'm not an unhygienic grub, I'm a nurse and wash my hands so often it's not funny. I even have to do mandatory hand hygiene training regularly at work!
    3b in South Australia.
    3b in South Australia.
    I felt the need to collect data, make a spread sheet and add The Owlet (and other similar baby vital monitors) and The Smart Diaper. There is even a device that attaches to a childs diaper, tracks any small movements and starts vibrating if they go 15 seconds w/o moving. I'm sure thats handy for naps. ETA: No matter how hard I try, I can not come up with a need for the last one. Can you? It's supposed to make sure the baby is still breating but 15 seconds!?!? If it does not sense movement with in 2 additional 15 second rounds an alarm goes off. For the most part that is only a handy way to keep your kid from napping.

Treating Your Healthy Baby Like She’s in Intensive Care | Free Range Kids

^^ That explains why I find it strange and fairly neurotic, when it comes to healthy children. Even the creators of these products say they invented it because they were an incredibly nervous and anciety ridden parent who checked their child numerous times a night to see if they were still breathing. So it was not created for at risk children, is not a medical device, is not reccomended by most professionals, but is selling out like hot cakes. I think comments from these 2 parents summed products like this up
    incredibly well.

Kelly D
    My twins were in the NICU for months. Even as parents who DID watch their babies stop breathing and watched ICU monitor numbers dwindle down to terrifying levels, the nurses told us they did not recommend any monitors beyond an audio one if your house is big enough to warrant it. Being in the actual ICU with your baby is traumatic enough. No need to continue the trauma at home, where there aren’t professionals to help you process what you’re seeing. The biggest lesson a NICU parent learns is to trust their baby. The best nurses told us to turn away from the monitor while holding the babies, so we had to look at the baby first if we thought something was wrong. We’ve made it all the way through the SIDS stage and lots of colds/infections/RSV and they’re still breathing and I’m sure their oxygen levels are just fine. I’m perfectly happy not knowing.

derpdedoo
    Both my children ended up in the NICU after being born, both for different reasons. The oxygen monitors were horrible. They would fall off or misread or whatever. One of the first things a nurse said to me is the baby isn’t in danger if the level remained above 80%.

However, the monitors had an alarm set to go off whenever the amount fell below 98%.

It would cause my wife to go into a panic every time “IS HE BREATHING?!!!!”. I would always point to the kid lying there, chest rising and falling as expected. With our second kid she was still just on edge about the alarms.

Afterwards she would have nightmares and wake up in a cold sweat because she thought she heard the alarm.

I can’t see anyone voluntarily subjecting themselves to this sort of nonsense in the comfort of their own home. Maybe not so comfortable any longer.
    When I hear terms like "hipster" I think, who told cliques they could leave high school??

[SIGPIC][/SIGPIC]
    ^ On that note, my youngest nephew was in the NICU after he was born. The baby across from him had a hyper sensitive monitor, horrible acid reflux and reguarly stopped breathing for brief moments. Everytime the alarm went off, I would grab my heart. I didn't even know the kid but I would be like... Jesus! What? ****! I hope that baby doesn't die. That is really not good for home.

And what is up with the one commenter (if you read the comments) acting like a device not recommended by pediatricians is going to aid the medical/scientific community and provide in valuable data for years to come. The doctor won't give a crap about you 10 year olds infant blood ox levels, and the medical/scientific communities would not be quick to trust info from a device used in uninown/uncontrolled environments or guidelines, on healthy children. Did they just have a nightmare causing their heart to race and setting off the alarm? Kick around? Will someone always be watching to record this key piece of data? ...

One product I meant to add is the lip plumping suction thingy (that's it's official name) I have been seeing on YT. It's a piece of hard plastic in the shape of lups, hearts, circles and it has a hole in the back. You pucker, stick your lips in the hole and try to suction it tightly over the mouth and keep it there w/o touching it. Afterward you should see fuller, plumper lips. Very strange to watch.

[SIGPIC][/SIGPIC]
    I am a little perplexed by child carries. Not in general, mind you. Not in special needs situations (which a majority are not even marketed for). I'm perplexed by the trend of the ever expanding weight and age limit.

I came across an article about a Fire Fighter (known for their piggy back rides) creating a back pack child carrier after he went to France with his family. Their 4 yo was exhausting quickly when they were doing the tourist thing, and they had to pick her up/carry/cut the day short several times. I get that. I can understand hikes, all day music festivals, etc. There were already carriers on the market then that allowed your 4 year to stand on a board attached to your back. This allowed them to sit. Again, not for special needs/kids or marketed for kids with needs/injuries in either case. NOW... They make child back pack carriers for 7 year olds or that go up to 90 lbs. Again, not marketed for special needs or sane induviduala with perfectly capable 7 year olds. They should be able to run circles around adults. *There is already a problem with decreased physical activity in schools. Most kids get little to no activity due to parents freaking out and schools upping class time. Is it a good idea to keep expanding ages that a child can be carried as well?* Not only that but who would want to carry 90 lbs on their back for any great distance? A military pack is 50 lbs when loaded with full gear. A piggy back ride from time to time should do, if needed. Why pay hundreds for that? I don't understand and it is strange. Note, there are also numerous brands.

(And i am sure some use it in place of a kid leash)

[SIGPIC][/SIGPIC]
    I've never seen them^, sounds ridiculous. Once kids are out of a pushchair they should be walking everywhere, with the odd piggy-back, as you say, when there's been a lot of walking/hiking/whatever and the kid is genuinely pooped.
    3b in South Australia.
    I've never seen them^, sounds ridiculous. Once kids are out of a pushchair they should be walking everywhere, with the odd piggy-back, as you say, when there's been a lot of walking/hiking/whatever and the kid is genuinely pooped.

It seems silly to me to. I get it when they are younger and start getting exhausted and fussy during a really long day but otherwise why keep increasing the weight and age limits?

I see so many products marketed for kids, actually for parents, now that are crazy. I was watching a video on one the other day. They now make protective & cushy knee guards for crawling babies. Why? You want the baby to feel some discomfort so they don't stay on their hands and knees forever. And those stupid bath temperature rubber ducks!! I've seen those. It says things like warm and hot. Like a person can't stick their hand in the tub and tell you the same. I've never seen a wrist thermometer needed for testing baby bottles. You tell by touch, and even the package for the rubber duck says "always check temperature by hand". Wth? Needless crap everywhere! I have to agree that a majority of it is made to undermind the parents confidence at every turn.

[SIGPIC][/SIGPIC]
    http://youtu.be/IsSubM3OaE8

^ This shows a few of the strange, absurd and completely unnecessary

Ridiculous Baby Products: Absurd Things People Are Actually Trying To Sell To Parents

^ So does this. A "poop alarm". A potty time reminder watch for babe. That way they can become completely dependent on a beep letting them know when they need to do something, rather than realizing they have to go potty. On that note, the iPotty. Baby Butt Fan. Wth? You'll get a good look at things like disposable gloves to protect your children from germs and pass along your OCD in both. There are teens talking about their parents keeping disposable gloves for them in the car under the comment section of the first video. Their parents who are still hung up on giving 30 min lectures to their 15 year olds on how to safely cross the street, with multiple scenarios, while refusing to teach them how to use the stove.

Confidence successfully underminded!!

[SIGPIC][/SIGPIC]

Leave a Comment

BoldItalicStrikethroughOrdered listUnordered list
Emoji
Align leftAlign centerAlign rightToggle HTML viewToggle full pageToggle lights
Drop image/file