L'Oréal Feria Ombre kit/Ombre in general or highlights better for curls?

ZoevaZoeva Registered Users Posts: 20
Hi guys!

Glad I found this forum!

My hair is a dark brown at the moment but the ends are a bit lighter because it's pretty much grow out from an old hair dye that I grew out to an ombre. Not even intentionally haha.

I saw a lot of reviews on Youtube using the L'oreal ombre kit and I bought it and I'm contemplating to try it... Has anyone here had any experiences with this kit or just ombre in general?

I can also try highlights or lowlights with this kit but I think Ombre is easier, more fool-proof and more refreshing. But I might be wrong so help me out! :thumbup:

Comments

• ZoevaZoeva Registered Users Posts: 20
    I guess that's a no haha. I'll keep this post updated on my experience with it than. Going to do it next weekend, uni is going to be done by than so if I fail I don't have to be embarrassed about it lol.

I'll take before and after shots. I just rather do it myself than do it at a salon that has zero experience with curls, I have had too much bad experiences urgh.
  • CurlieCooCurlieCoo Registered Users Posts: 38
    I just heard of it for the first time today. Would love to read how your experience goes.
    #1 Recommendation: "Search NaturallyCurly" search function for great info:smilebox:
    ~2C/3A~ Density-High Porosity-High Texture-Medium Climate-HIGH humidity Water-Hard well
    Low-poo: Nature's Gate Tea-Tree Cond: Suave Naturals, Organic Coconut Oil Leave-in: KCKT Styling: KCSS, KCCC, Dr. Bronner's Organic Hair Creme
  • CGSince2002CGSince2002 Banned Users Posts: 1,073
    Hmm, keep in mind that although the color may have faded at your ends, it's STILL color-treated hair and it's going to react differently than your virgin hair. Looking at it that way and not knowing anything about this kit, whether it's a bleach that only goes on the bottom/ends or what, I cannot specifically advise you anything other than to be very very cautious. Read the instructions very well (twice!) and do a strand test first, this is of critical importance, failing to do so when dealing with 2 kinds of hair could spell disaster for you, and I'm not kidding. In reality, I do not feel comfortable at all with the thought of you doing this at home if you've never done it before...
    UPDATE: I did a search on this product and just watched a video at the L'Oreal website and it confirmed my guess that this is a bleaching product which I would NOT advice to use on your hair. Even if you only want to do the part that was previously colored only there's no way to tell what you will end up with. If you include any of the new hair you could end up with 3 not very harmonious colors in your hair.

Although it's really hard for me to say without seeing your hair in person, it may still be possible but it would require a technique that may be complicated for you. At the very least, like I said before, a strand test is an absolute must because the end results cannot be predicted since your ends were colored before and chances are a lot of the old pigments are still in that hair, which would very much affect the bleaching process and even texture of your hair.
    Will definitely put pictures up and update you!

CGSince: it's making me nervous too, trust me! If my hair was 100% virgin I'd feel much safer with this box. I think that most of my grow out actually starts at chin length, so where the ombre normally should start. Your tip of doing some test strands first is smart, I might do that first. Then I'd have an idea of how damaging it is too.

If I were to do this in a salon, would it be less damaging? I've heard some horror stories where they had to strip the color first, bleach it then tone it etc. Pretty time consuming and harsh on the hair I think? So much doubt!
    The previously colored hair starting where you want the ombre helps but there's still other factors to consider. When you put bleach on previously colored hair it's not going to lighten it as much or as well as it would virgin hair and a lot of red is going to come out, so, yes, the strand test becomes an absolute necessity because you may need a second product.

The way I would actually approach this would be by actually returning the ombre kit and exchanging it for a color remover kit. Once all the remaining pigment is removed you'll know the true level your hair is at and it could be you're only a level or two away from where you want to be, and in that case a very light blonde will complete the lightening while depositing a little balancing pigment. Either way, unless you're going for a reddish tone, I very much doubt the ombre kit alone will give you the results that you seek... Btw, how light are you wanting to go?
  • nataliaash4483nataliaash4483 Registered Users Posts: 6
    I tried this on my hair last week. My hair was colored jet black, so I did the color oops and let it rest for 4 days. I have chin length hair (it's growing out from shaving it almost 7 months ago) and I was really nervous to try it but went for it. I did all over highlights because it's layered and short so the ombre effect wasn't a choice. It is a bleach. It lighten my hair to a caramel orangey color. I love the color but toned it with wella t14 to make it a bit more light ash brown. I slept with an olive oil conditioner mask, and my hair is healthy. The curls are still good. It is dry, but it did work for me. My hair was in amazing condition because I shaved all of it off 7 months ago and only dyed it jet black to hide my grays in the front!

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
    I have really no clue how light I want to go. Definitely not full on blond but something that would be a nice transition from my natural hair color. If I were to strip my hair from the original dye isn't that damaging as well? I'll see if I can find something like that here, but I doubt it...

I'll try post some pictures from the moment the forum will allow me!

nataliaash4483: yay glad to hear that! I'll be definitely using a hydrating mask afterwards and hoping it won't be as damaging for me either!
    Color remover is not as harsh as bleach because very often you don't need to leave it on too long. I used the L'Oreal brand on my hair many years ago and it didn't damage it at all. But as a preventive measure it's better to do a protein DT before the color removal. If you have a Sally's near you buy a packet of Ion Reconstructor, it's little over $1.

Another question, what was the color you dyed your hair with before? That might give me an idea what level you are at. If you look at this chart you'll see what I'm referring to. If you have to go several levels lighter you would have to bleach after the tint removal OR buy a high-lift blond tint at Sally's, the resulting shade will be on the warmer side but it will probably suit you well anyway. The page I just gave you tells you also how to choose the hair coloring level you'll need to achieve the results you want so read on, you'll learn a lot of new things that I'm sure will be useful in the future too.

Once you color, don't wash your hair for at least 48 hours, 72 would be even better, and hopefully you co-wash...? That extends the life of the color and keeps hair well-hydrated. Then do a DT once a week. As an alternative to cream DTs, coconut oil, which helps prevent protein loss, would be good as an overnight treatment. Just don't use too much so it's easy to remove the next day without having to use a strong shampoo. And if you do shampoo, dilute it in at least 2 parts water.
    Color remover is not as harsh as bleach because very often you don't need to leave it on too long. I used the L'Oreal brand on my hair many years ago and it didn't damage it at all. But as a preventive measure it's better to do a protein DT before the color removal. If you have a Sally's near you buy a packet of Ion Reconstructor, it's little over $1.

Another question, what was the color you dyed your hair with before? That might give me an idea what level you are at. If you look at this chart you'll see what I'm referring to. If you have to go several levels lighter you would have to bleach after the tint removal OR buy a high-lift blond tint at Sally's, the resulting shade will be on the warmer side but it will probably suit you well anyway. The page I just gave you tells you also how to choose the hair coloring level you'll need to achieve the results you want so read on, you'll learn a lot of new things that I'm sure will be useful in the future too.

Once you color, don't wash your hair for at least 48 hours, 72 would be even better, and hopefully you co-wash...? That extends the life of the color and keeps hair well-hydrated. Then do a DT once a week. As an alternative to cream DTs, coconut oil, which helps prevent protein loss, would be good as an overnight treatment. Just don't use too much so it's easy to remove the next day without having to use a strong shampoo. And if you do shampoo, dilute it in at least 2 parts water.

The first hair dye that I used (about a year ago) was the Schwarzkopf Color Mask in Golden Brown, this one:
    599664_l.jpg

Then the semi-perm from L'Oréal called Brownie:
    http://www.loreal-paris.nl/img/l10n/products/305x262/haarkleuring-casting-creme-gloss-454-brownie.jpg

The only colour remover I can find around here is the SOS by Delor but I'm going to check other stores. No Sally here! Thanks for the link btw, love the information!
    Oh and my hair at the moment:
    2u4lhjn.jpg
    25664q0.jpg

Don't mind the terrible hair cut, urgh. But the black is all natural virgin hair.
    I've been thinking about it really well and I think I'll just go to a salon this weekend. It's my first time going really light and I'd like to have an opinion of a professional first. I just hope they won't screw up my hair, my trust in hair salons is like zero.

If it looks great then I can proceed to try it myself at home some day. But I'll be doing an ombre/balayage combo, they call it sombre (yup, real thing), looks really natural and just lightens up the face. Will keep this topic updated!

And sorry for the still enormous pictures, I have no clue how to size them down...
    Have them explain well what they plan to do and if they do not plan to use a color remover beware...

I tried to post yesterday telling you how I think you should proceed but for some reason I couldn't post at all in any thread I tried, so I wish you the best whatever happens! :)

Leave a Comment

BoldItalicStrikethroughOrdered listUnordered list
Emoji
Align leftAlign centerAlign rightToggle HTML viewToggle full pageToggle lights
Drop image/file