Have you had a hair disaster?

VoluminousGirlyVoluminousGirly Posts: 219Registered Users
I have before and I want to hear some of your stories :)

So my hair well.. Haha it wasn't even an Afro. So both of my best friend's heads fit in my poofy ponytail. My hair literally engulfed both of them. It was sooooo embarrassing. Yet, everyone always repeats this:: your hair is so poofy!
Sing with Barney tune:
Frizz loves me
I hate frizz
It sticks to me
like a kid
with some creams
and some gel
and then nothing does the trick
Please help me
My curly friends.
:afro:

Comments

• CGSince2002CGSince2002 Posts: 1,073Banned Users
    Most of my hair disasters were bad haircuts, too many too count! For starters, because of the "spring factor" I always ended up with hair much shorther than I expected. The worst one was probably in 2011, I was just going to re-start working so all I could afford was a trip to a "Supercuts" and it actually went well, so I returned 2-3 mo. later to get the cut reshaped... but this time, although it was the same girl, something went very wrong... so I went back the next day hoping a little snip here and there would even things out... Instead I went home with such short hair and I looked really bad. I started straightening it and at first not even that helped. For at least 2-3 weeks I was extremely unhappy with my hair, and on top of everything I had to keep on snipping as I discovered all the uneven spots but I eventually got my own hair to where roller sets got me through the hump, but it took several months for me to be able to wear it curly again.

This year I had another bad experience at another haircut chain, thank goodness my hair was pretty long and I had gone just for a trim. So, I'm either going to have to cut my own hair whenever I'm broke or wait until I can go somewhere where some "newbie" isn't going to butcher my hair! If the hair isn't right NOTHING makes me feel I look OK, no amount of make-up, nice clothes or accessories seem to compensate.

Another hair disaster of long-ago was wearing a very elaborate updo, with gold spray on it and everything when I was just 16 and going to a big dance. At the time fashion had just begun to change and somehow I didn't "get the memo", so the other girls my age were wearing their hair loose and straight and with "natural" makeup, and there I was also wearing tons of eye makeup! I sat like a wallflower most of the night, I think only one guy invited me to dance and probably ugly, I probably looked too old or something, truly a disaster of a night, especially at that age...
    Joined Curltalk 1st time in early '02 shortly after starting CG. I'm a non-practicing Cosmetologist.
    Hair: color-treated, mostly 3A.
    CO-wash: VO5 K&L
    RO: SpaHaus Salon w/OO, VO5 Shea Cashmere, W.R. Trop. Coconut, Daily Defense Moisturizing & others.
    LI: Beautiful Curls w/Shea Butter & C.O., Hollywood Beauty OO Creme, VO5 K&L, Aveda Be Curly Curl Enhancer.
    Gels: LAL Wet Look, ORS Lock & Twist.
    Oils: Jojoba, EVCO & Africa's Best Ultimate Herbal Oil

• pinkmouse09pinkmouse09 Posts: 107Registered Users
    When I was 14, I went to get my hair straightened and trimmed. I had veryyy long hair and they chopped it to shoulder length and called it a trim. They were using greasy/oily products and the highest heat settings so of course it was a frizzy mess. The woman said, you need a relaxer to control this frizz (which was actually caused by her!!!). So, not knowing any better, I got a relaxer. It was awful. I still cringe when I drive past there. It's been 11 years and my dad still apologizes for ever letting us get relaxers lol

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
    Just at BSL (when stretched) goal is HL, 3a/b, medium thickness, medium porosity
    CG since March 2013
    Conditoner/Detangle: V05 Moisture Milk (Passion Fruit Smoothie), Aussie Moist
    Clarify: Herbal Essences Hello Hydration Shampoo
    Styling: Shea Moisture Curl Enhancing Smoothie and Curl Milk, Extra Virgin Coconut Oil
    Vitamins: One Daily and GNC Ultra NourishHair
    What a shame! And what a coincidence that another member posted a blog entry yesterday that addresses the falsehood of "fixing" curly hair. I'm passing it along because it fits this thread very well: http://www.scottmusgravehair.com/scott-musgrave-blog/fix-your-hair-really/
    Joined Curltalk 1st time in early '02 shortly after starting CG. I'm a non-practicing Cosmetologist.
    RO: SpaHaus Salon w/OO, VO5 Shea Cashmere, W.R. Trop. Coconut, Daily Defense Moisturizing & others.
    LI: Beautiful Curls w/Shea Butter & C.O., Hollywood Beauty OO Creme, VO5 K&L, Aveda Be Curly Curl Enhancer.

• aspenaspen Posts: 154Registered Users Curl Neophyte
    Mostly bad hair-cuts.

I'm not sure why but my mother and family were convinced that if I got a nice straight hair-cut like a Lois Lane bob or a Jennifer Aniston or whatever that my hair would magically fall into place.

Instead it would just go awry and look terrible, the bangs would flip up all uneven and my length would be uneven or tree-like.

My worst haircut was when I got it chopped short to appease my mother and my hair just went super kinky and tight because of it, and I had these blunt cut bangs that curled up and the other kids called me moustache bangs :(

That's some childhood trauma right there, man.
    3A-3B / Medium / High Density / Low Porosity
    Modified CG
    Low poo: Creme of Nature Argan Oil Moisture & Shine
    Conditioner: Curls Unleashed NB
    Leave in: Creme of Natura Argan Oil Strengthen & Shine
    Styling Product: Curl Keeper/ Curly Solutions gel
  • claudine191claudine191 Posts: 8,221Registered Users Curl Connoisseur
    I've had countless disasters. The most recent was about two years ago, when I saw a very pompous guy who gave me advice on how I should interact with stylists, as if paying them wasn't enough. I have heavy wavy hair, and he did something I still don't quite understand.......somehow the top was left long and thick and lay on my head like a clump of wet wool, only flatter, since there weren't enough layers to release the wave. I tried for days to work with it, but in the end, I wound up crawling back to my old unlikable stylist and getting it "fixed."
  • mandymaemandymae Posts: 150Registered Users
    I don't think I have had haircut disasters, but I had a styling disaster a couple of weeks ago. My right side ended p looking perfectly moisturized and defined, while my left side looked like Hermione in Harry Potter 1. Everyone kept asking if I was doing a before/after campaign.
  • jeepcurlygurljeepcurlygurl Posts: 20,724Registered Users, Curl Ambassador Curl Virtuoso
    My very worst hair disaster was a hair cut when I was a senior in high school (nearly 40 years ago). The stylist/salon owner was just a couple years older than me so I knew her, she had curly hair, said she could handle curly hair, and I fell for it. I still feel like crying when I think about it. I had to live with it through 2 proms, senior pics, graduation, etc.
    But a good thing came out of it. I never went to a salon again. I have cut my own hair ever since. Long, short, and in between it has always turned out better than that disastrous cut.
    I still see that stylist around town. Many of my friends go to her salon. She has horrid flat ironed hair and I have healthy happy curly hair. I win. : )
    --I'm located in Western PA.   --I found NC in late 2004, CG since February 2005, joined the forums in May 2005, started going grey in late 2005.   --My hair is 3B with some 3A, currently at mid back length when dry,  texture-medium/fine, porosity-top is low, middle is medium, ends are porous, elasticity-normal.   --My long time favorite products are Suave & VO5 conditioners, LA Looks Sport Gel, coconut oil, honey, vinegar.   
    --My CG and grey hair progress -  
    http://www.naturallycurly.com/curltalk/going-gray/179328-jeepys-grey-hair-progress.html   
    --My article at NaturallyCurly about going grey - 
    https://www.naturallycurly.com/curlreading/color/how-i-went-completely-gray-and-loved-it
  • VoluminousGirlyVoluminousGirly Posts: 219Registered Users
    Whoa most of them are hair cut disaster and stylist problems :O I think that's a hint to never go to a salon (not to mention they are EXPENSIVE)!
    Sing with Barney tune:
    Frizz loves me
    I hate frizz
    It sticks to me
    like a kid
    with some creams
    and some gel
    Please help me
    My curly friends.
    Whoa most of them are hair cut disaster and stylist problems :O I think that's a hint to never go to a salon (not to mention they are EXPENSIVE)!

Not necessarily, I've also gotten some very good ones, you just have to 1) try to not go to the cheap chain ones, 2) talk to the stylist before making your appointment to see if she seems sure of herself or if she seems to not quite understand what you want.

Not necessarily, I've also gotten some very good ones, you just have to 1) try to not go to the cheap chain ones, 2) talk to the stylist before making your appointment to see if she seems sure of herself or if she seems to not quite understand what you want.

I don't trust anyone in cutting my hair *hugs my curls*
    Sing with Barney tune:
    Frizz loves me
    I hate frizz
    It sticks to me
    like a kid
    with some creams
    and some gel
    Please help me
    My curly friends.
    I also have butt loads of surface frizz that likes to troll me :(
    Sing with Barney tune:
    Frizz loves me
    I hate frizz
    It sticks to me
    like a kid
    with some creams
    and some gel
    Please help me
    My curly friends.
    Lol! If you can cut it yourself decently, more power to you! I've done it sometimes, but it's the back that I find harder to do, it's like I need a 3rd hand for it. But it seems what I've done the most is fix haircuts given to me by others...:?

• Fifi.GFifi.G Posts: 15,490Registered Users Curl Neophyte
    Just one?
    When I hear terms like "hipster" I think, who told cliques they could leave high school??

[SIGPIC][/SIGPIC]
    I'm a 2, and I just can't cut my own layers. Otherwise, I'd love to skip salons.
    That should be easier if you're hair's long, have you watched videos on Youtube of how some people do it?

• KaZenner1990KaZenner1990 Posts: 859Registered Users
    I am scared to.do my own hair as well. Where do I start and where do I end??? lol

Sent from my GT-I9000 using CurlTalk App
    2C/3A Botticelli/Corkicelli.Growing out color/heat damage
    M/C, Low/Medium/High Por, Normal Elast. Medium Density
    LP: INSIGHT DAMAGED HAIR Restructurizing Shampoo
    CO: Generic protein conditioner, Hair Academy Deep Cleansing CO
    DET/RO/LI: GNC Avocado And Shea Butter Conditioner +/mask,
    Styler: Schwarzkopf Taft Fixing GelWellaflex Instant Volume Boost Mousse
    DT: EVOO, C.O
    HG
    Goal: WL when curly
    CG since Feb 2014
    I think cutting one's own hair is not for everybody. First, the person must have at least some inclination towards it; second, you need to have a pretty good idea of how it's done and third, the right equipment (I've seen people using fabric cutting shears and now I shudder at the sight... but that's what my mother used to cut my ends with when I lived at home...).

I began many years ago by sometimes partially trimming my husband's hair, and years later I gave my son full haircuts after watching how they did it at the barber shop, got me a set of clippers and all (but had a couple of "accidents" using them too...). Same with my hair, I watched how the stylist held my hair at the salon so when I did micro-trims I'd hold it the same way, so by the time I went to beauty school I was "a step ahead". Today, there's the internet, and more specifically Youtube, so do searches, watch a lot of videos, and you'll learn enough to decide if you feel confident enough to try it on yourself.

• jeepcurlygurljeepcurlygurl Posts: 20,724Registered Users, Curl Ambassador Curl Virtuoso
    I use cheap scissors from the Dollar Store and really have no idea how to cut hair, but curly hair is very forgiving so I've managed to do decent cuts all these years. Especially if just doing a trim.
    If I'm lazy I just put my hair up in a pony tail on top of my head and then trim off the ends (there are lots of videos on youtube). If I want more precision I cut each clump of curls (this is explained very well in the Curly Girl books and in the video and probably on you tube).
    --I'm located in Western PA.   --I found NC in late 2004, CG since February 2005, joined the forums in May 2005, started going grey in late 2005.   --My hair is 3B with some 3A, currently at mid back length when dry,  texture-medium/fine, porosity-top is low, middle is medium, ends are porous, elasticity-normal.   --My long time favorite products are Suave & VO5 conditioners, LA Looks Sport Gel, coconut oil, honey, vinegar.   
    --My CG and grey hair progress -  
    http://www.naturallycurly.com/curltalk/going-gray/179328-jeepys-grey-hair-progress.html   
    --My article at NaturallyCurly about going grey - 
    https://www.naturallycurly.com/curlreading/color/how-i-went-completely-gray-and-loved-it
    I think cutting one's own hair is not for everybody. First, the person must have at least some inclination towards it; second, you need to have a pretty good idea of how it's done and third, the right equipment (I've seen people using fabric cutting shears and now I shudder at the sight... but that's what my mother used to cut my ends with when I lived at home...).

I began many years ago by sometimes partially trimming my husband's hair, and years later I gave my son full haircuts after watching how they did it at the barber shop, got me a set of clippers and all (but had a couple of "accidents" using them too...). Same with my hair, I watched how the stylist held my hair at the salon so when I did micro-trims I'd hold it the same way, so by the time I went to beauty school I was "a step ahead". Today, there's the internet, and more specifically Youtube, so do searches, watch a lot of videos, and you'll learn enough to decide if you feel confident enough to try it on yourself.

I'm one of those people who cannot visualize how to get what I want my hair to do; I know what I want the end result to be, but somehow, I have a complete inability to balance layers and stick to straight lines. Believe me, I've tried cutting my own hair, and it's never less than anything short of a horror story.

Luckily, I like the stylist I have now, although she's super-cute and I'm a little jealous of her looks. OTOH, it's entertaining to see what she's wearing every time I have an appointment.
  • KaZenner1990KaZenner1990 Posts: 859Registered Users
    I found a video that makes me want to do my own hair. She has very similar texture to mine just abit shorter and I assume because of that a bit curlier hair on the back??

Cutting Curly Hair
    2C/3A Botticelli/Corkicelli.Growing out color/heat damage
    M/C, Low/Medium/High Por, Normal Elast. Medium Density
    LP: INSIGHT DAMAGED HAIR Restructurizing Shampoo
    CO: Generic protein conditioner, Hair Academy Deep Cleansing CO
    DET/RO/LI: GNC Avocado And Shea Butter Conditioner +/mask,
    Styler: Schwarzkopf Taft Fixing GelWellaflex Instant Volume Boost Mousse
    DT: EVOO, C.O
    HG
    Goal: WL when curly
    CG since Feb 2014
  • jaseislondmjaseislondm Posts: 1Registered Users
    My biggesr hair diaster was straightening it all the time along with the perma my mom put in my hair. The worst decision ever. Now i have wavy hair on the bottom and curly on the top. Good news is the waves are turning into curls. Perms and straightners were my hair diasters.
    I forgot one hair disaster that came from my own hands, shame on me!

Many years ago, long before I went to beauty school, and when the mullet type of cuts were still in (I'm talking early '90s) I got yet another bad cut which I tried to fix myself unsuccessfully, so suddenly I thought I'd just cut the long part and give myself a "pixie" cut. :shock:

Now... getting the back right was next to impossible... but I did the best I could and I think nobody noticed the uneven parts. But that's not the worst, the worst was that the novelty of having such very short hair after years of wearing it below my shoulders wore off after a few days and I began to have dreams in which I still had my long hair. It became torture to look at myself in a mirror and not be able to change my look... so I ran and bought a wig and even fooled my own mother, but it was summer and wigs are too hot so I only wore it a few times. And for a whole year I struggled with my hair while it was growing out, at one point I was so exasperated I went and bought a kid's relaxer kit thinking it would be gentle like a liquid relaxer I'd used in the past, but that stuff was harsh and left my hair kind of stiff but at least it looked a little longer. Finally it got long enough that I dared go to a salon to get my hair reshaped and was very fortunate to find a stylist who did a splendid job, my hair actually looked longer when I left!

But it wasn't all bad, I actually met my 2nd husband around that time and he didn't mind at all. :mrgreen:

Because of the heat I've been thinking of getting my hair cut, not that much of course, but the memory of other cuts that were much shorter than I intended are making me think twice...

I might as well share a couple of mine. :-/

I had curls (big ringlets) when I was small, my hair went straight for some time and waves/natural curls started popping back up when I was around 14 or 15. When I was 12 I decided I wanted some body in my incredibly long hair, went to a salon and asked for a loose body wave. The hair dresser (not even calling her a stylist) started putting in the smallest perm rods. My mom asked her what she was doing. She used to be a licensed cosmetologist but moved on to a different job in the 70's, before the body wave and spiral perm trends. The lady assured her this was how you did a body wave and my mom left. She had to run errands. We had cut my hair, which went past my butt, to waist level. By the time she was done with me, my hair had shrunk to my chin, the back had melted and I had a large chemical burn on the back of my neck. It was 1 inch thick and 3-4 inches long. When my mom came in I was touching it and in a large amount of pain. She checked me (because the woman who did my hair was busy chatting with her boyfriend) and flipped out. It took numerous years to get any kind of shine back in my hair and get rid of damage. I always felt like that bad perm might have had something to do with the chemical change that brought my waves/curls back a few years later so at least there is that.

Flash forward to 2 years or so ago... I had been going to the same stylist for 7 years. I asked him to cut my hair just below my shoulders, dye it a dark blonde or light golden brown and put some highlights around my face that were a shade or two lighter. He decided to dye it black and put in platinum streaks. I honestly do not know if he grabbed the wrong color or did it intentionally. He always talked about how I would look good with black hair. Which ever it was, he killed it. I was reduced to a large surface wave, my hair was fried, I had to get a reconstructive cut and slowly do a color correct in stages. That brought me here, so I can find a silver lining in it too.
    When I hear terms like "hipster" I think, who told cliques they could leave high school??

[SIGPIC][/SIGPIC]
    I do know one thing when it comes to the latest large disaster. If anyone pulls out Rusk hair color around me again, I am running in the other direction.

[SIGPIC][/SIGPIC]
    Wow... those were 2 big disasters! How did he explain the black hair with platinum highlights???

That reminded me of another disaster I had and I can't believe the first time it didn't occur to me to mention it...

In '03, little over a year after I'd started CG and had nice, healthy-looking dark curls (dyed), I realized I'd gotten more gray hairs (maybe due to my thyroid problem) and it was harder to camouflage the "roots" by the 3rd week after a retouch, so I figured that lightening to a dark ash blonde would make them less noticeable. I first cut my own hair several inches and then called the school where I'd studied cosmetology to have the lightening done.

One of the teachers decided to do my hair. She wasn't even one that I liked, she knew I was doing CG and she didn't believe in it, of course. Because she'd heard me say I liked products with herbs and natural ingredients she put on my hair this so-called "natural bleach" that supposedly was herbal. After an hour and putting me under a hood dryer it had barely lightened my new growth a little so she blamed it on CG "shutting the cuticle so tight the product could not penetrate". :eek: So she rinsed that off, dried my hair under a hood dryer and applied regular bleach, which could not lift all of the pigment, especially the lower half of my hair where I suppose more of it had accumulated. Time to close the school came so I had to leave with 2-tone orangey hair.

I don't know why I couldn't go to Sally's, maybe it was closed, instead I ended up at some other beauty supply where the best I could get was Miss Clairol, which is not at all gentle. I managed to sort of even out my hair but it was like a dark strawberry blond that did not suit me at all, so very soon I decided to put cream bleach on the lower half and then used Color Charm's demi-permanent formula which gave me the color I wanted... but by then my damaged ends had become straight, my hair just didn't want to curl and I began having some breakage. And the only PT I found that returned a bit of elasticity to my hair turned out contain SLS so I stopped using it and decided to just cut my hair.

I'd already been micro-trimming my hair so the last time I got it cut (at a salon) I looked like a Hobbit and the hair would not clump to form nice curls. I was so unhappy I ran to buy a package of hair to make myself a "fall" or something, but by the 2nd week the bit it had grown made a difference and my hair began to look better so I forgot about the hair I bought.

All that would've been avoided if that teacher had put on a COLOR REMOVER on my hair; when I mentioned it she said bleach was the same thing... not! The sad part is that long before I went to school I'd used a remover on myself and later on my mother quite successfully, but not wanting to distrust this teacher I ended up losing most of my hair's length. I would've been much better off doing it all by myself.

• pinkmouse09pinkmouse09 Posts: 107Registered Users
    I had my hair done at a beauty school once. The bleach on my highlights ran and I had a CIRCLE right on my edges so light that I looked like I had a bald spot😱 no biggie though..she fixed it the next day. The color was actually nice. But then she chopped my hair off and heat damaged it. I had to get clip in extensions! I learned to never cheat on my stylist again (she's always booked weeks out and the girl at school did it for free for an exam) 😖mistakes were made

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
    Just at BSL (when stretched) goal is HL, 3a/b, medium thickness, medium porosity
    CG since March 2013
    Conditoner/Detangle: V05 Moisture Milk (Passion Fruit Smoothie), Aussie Moist
    Clarify: Herbal Essences Hello Hydration Shampoo
    Styling: Shea Moisture Curl Enhancing Smoothie and Curl Milk, Extra Virgin Coconut Oil
    Vitamins: One Daily and GNC Ultra NourishHair
  • sixelamysixelamy Posts: 4,157Registered Users Curl Novice
    My hair disaster came when I was looking for someone to cut my curly hair dry. My friend recommended her mother in law, so I gave her a shot. I had to drive an hour to get there, which made it even worse. I told her what I wanted over the phone, which was that I just wanted the front parts of my hair clipped off, cut dry while curly - so I could make it all even. She claimed she could do it, and she knew how to cut curly hair.

I get there and instead of doing what I asked her to do, she immediately takes her thinning shears without telling me and started randomly chopping like a madwoman, I kid you not. It was obvious she did not like my dense hair and had no clue what to do with it, by the look on her face. By the time I realized what she was doing, it was too late, a huge chunk had already been taken off the side of my head. It was totally uneven, and there was absolutely no method to it. At the end of the butchering, I asked her to clip the ends I originally wanted clipped off, and she refused. Then she took a curling iron to my head and said, "you can just curl these parts until it all evens out". Really..???!

I washed my hair when I got home and lost all my curl, I was so upset. Got a couple Deva cuts to fix it, now back to my regular cut. Took forever to grow back out, but luckily it was fixable and I survived! lol
    2c-3a - med-coarse - normal-high porosity - high density
    :bunny:
    NP/LP: CJ Daily Fix, KMF Whenever / Giovanni TTTT
    RO/LI: Aussie Moist, CJ Argan & Olive Oil, Hask Keratin Protein
    DC/PROTEIN: KC Stellar Strands / CNPF
    STYLER: CJ Curl Queen
    COLOR: henna, amla & indigo
    :thumbdown:: glycerin in high/low dews, polyquat-10 & 11, parabens
    Ouch Sixelamy, I can only imagine the mental anguish as you had to sit there... yikes!

From all the stories here bad haircuts are like 95% of all curlies bad experiences. I still don't feel at ease putting my head in someone else's hands, but in order to be fair, it's really not so easy to cut our hair, especially when many schools insist on treating all hair the same. But there's a few stylists out there who somehow learned to do a decent job, I even had a young girl at a chain salon cut my hair dry, it was brushed but at least it was not stretched out with water and it came out really well.

• anissafersureanissafersure Posts: 255Registered Users
    Besides relaxing my hair for years and having to cut most of it off in order to start over.... I'd say that one of my biggest hair disasters would have to be when I went to Super Cuts to have my hair colored. I wanted to hairdresser to dye the top part of my hair a golden blonde, and the bottom half of my hair brown. Anyways, instead of using actual dye, she decided to just bleach my hair in order to make my hair blonde. I ended up having WHITE HAIR WHEN SHE WAS DONE. I was so upset and felt so embarrassed. She wanted us to pay $230 for her services, what a joke! I ended having my friend fix my hair a week later, and she did a much better job by just using regular box dye compared to what that lady did. Never again.
  • Morgan_AdcockMorgan_Adcock Posts: 2,573Registered Users Curl Neophyte
    There are excellent instructions, illustrations, and even a great video segment (on the DVD which comes with the book) in Curly Girl: The Handbook (also available here).

I've done it, and although I'd much rather have a skilled Deva stylist cut my hair, I've been happier with my own results than the least skilled Deva stylist I've seen, and almost every other hair cut I ever had.
    Peace,
    Morgan

Baby Fine 3B, low porosity, normal density and elasticity
    CGing since July 2008

Leave a Comment

BoldItalicStrikethroughOrdered listUnordered list
Emoji
Align leftAlign centerAlign rightToggle HTML viewToggle full pageToggle lights
Drop image/file