How would a non-mathematician calculate

claudine191claudine191 Posts: 8,221Registered Users Curl Connoisseur
the exact height and angle from which to pour water into dog bowls without spillage?

TIA

Comments

• scrillsscrills Posts: 6,700Registered Users
    trial and error :-)
  • SystemSystem Posts: 39,060 Administrator
    with patience and an absorbent towel.
  • claudine191claudine191 Posts: 8,221Registered Users Curl Connoisseur
    Always with the comedy, you two.

Where's frau? She would know how to do it.
  • B-wavyB-wavy Posts: 1,733Registered Users Curl Connoisseur
    Perhaps by using the handy, dandy Mathway site? Though how I do not know. I don't "math".
  • PerriPPerriP Posts: 6,613Registered Users Curl Neophyte
    You'd need to consider
    Height
    Volume of liquid
    Pour rate
    Size of pour stream
    Size of landing container (size of opening as well as height of sides and total volume)

That's the extent of my help/non help :)

Try using a watering can with a spout, that will help decrease spillage
    Modified CG since Dec 2011
  • butter52butter52 Posts: 292Registered Users
    I think I dont really underestand what you are asking, can you give some context?
    B-wavy wrote: »
    Perhaps by using the handy, dandy Mathway site? Though how I do not know. I don't "math".

It wouldn't let me ask it. Also, I do not know what type of math to request.
    But I love that site! Very cool!!!!:glasses3:
    butter52 wrote: »
    I think I dont really underestand what you are asking, can you give some context?

Well, every time I refill my dogs' water bowls (from a pitcher with a spout), some splashes out. This happens no matter the angle, and no matter the size of the bowl. I want to know why, and how to resolve the problem.

Is this a valid reason for me to contact N. DeGrasse Tyson?
  • B-wavyB-wavy Posts: 1,733Registered Users Curl Connoisseur

Well, every time I refill my dogs' water bowls (from a pitcher with a spout), some splashes out. This happens no matter the angle, and no matter the size of the bowl. I want to know why, and how to resolve the problem.

YES!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!
  • butter52butter52 Posts: 292Registered Users

OOOH I see. Well thats actually a very complicated hydrodinamics problem, not a simple mathematics question. You would have to account for the superficial tension, density, turbulences on the spout, geometry of the pitcher and bowl, relative position to the spout, nonlinear equation solving, modeling, etc. and yet you would get only an aproximation.

Generally, If it spills because it runs down the pitcher insted of falling on the bowl the angle is too horizontal, If it spills because of the water splashing on the bowl surface then its too vertical. Whats your case?
    Vertical.

So, I should hold the pitcher at less of a slant or angle?
  • curlypearlcurlypearl Posts: 12,228Registered Users Curl Connoisseur
    C. Give up and read a book. :cheers: (I know, snarky comment), and this thread is making me giggle.
    2/c Coarse hair med. density.
    Highly porous. Color over grey.
    I love all the Curl Junkie products. Still experimenting with gels and curl creams. Still hoping for 2nd day hair....
    Every day is a gift :flower:
  • TRBLTRBL Posts: 5,294Registered Users Curl Connoisseur
    I think this thread was just a ploy to try to talk to N. DeGrasse Tyson :cheers:
    When I grow up, I wanna be a Jiujitsu Turtle!

My british name, courtesy of Ninja Dog Shade Haven-Staffordshire: TRBL Hough Jewelstone Turtleneck

Its chaos a few hairs at a time. ~Minxy

"Dispute not with her: she is lunatic." -Richard III
  • curlypearlcurlypearl Posts: 12,228Registered Users Curl Connoisseur
    I saw a picture of him. He looks cute :blob5:! Brains and looks, can't argue with that.
    2/c Coarse hair med. density.
    Highly porous. Color over grey.
    I love all the Curl Junkie products. Still experimenting with gels and curl creams. Still hoping for 2nd day hair....
    Every day is a gift :flower:
  • RedCatWavesRedCatWaves Posts: 31,259Registered Users Curl Connoisseur
    Y'all best back off from my boyfriend, Neil.

tumblr_lyh9sjYx5v1roolodo1_500.jpg
    Oh, no. No, no, no.

I am not fighting with you over him, too, RCW.

I called dibs on NDGT long ago.

You just stick with your husband. NDGT is mine. MINE.
  • scrillsscrills Posts: 6,700Registered Users
    Is the spout touching the bowl?
  • DedachanDedachan Posts: 1,644Registered Users Curl Neophyte
    I bet Neil would do it this way:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=w_tc8tlEoBs

or:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=kUL_317rptE

Have you tried leaving the pitcher half empty so you don't get a water stream pouring out until you've arrived at a more horizontal position?
    Thank you, dedachan. I enjoyed those videos.

He might, but then he wouldn't be reckoning with a squad of dogs who consider a cashmere sweater an appropriate snack, and who would for certain eat both the paper towel and the string.

If I believed I had a chance in hell of talking to him, I would call Mr. Tyson in a heartbeat, though I'd no doubt wind up proposing and making an [email protected]@ of myself.
    what if you used a more flexible bowl (to do the pouring), then you could squeeze the sides to make the spout be whatever you wanted it to be - that would assist with flow control and possibly help - or even a flexible cup of some sort - perhaps the spout is making it too concentrated/powerful and results in a spill (and if you don't let it pour at a certain rate, it'd spill because it's running down the side or not hitting the intended target)

or a deeper dish for the water - higher sides will give less splash
  • CurlyInTheFogCurlyInTheFog Posts: 876Registered Users
    Just thinking about it is making me tired--wouldn't it be easier to just wipe up the spills? :mrgreen: If you want a dry floor you also have to take the dog into consideration, since some slop more than others. II think PerriP's suggestion of the flexible bowl is a good (albeit non-mathematical) solution, but I sure would like to see the calculations for a math answer.
    3a/b, F, normal porosity

Suave conditioner, LAL gel
  • DedachanDedachan Posts: 1,644Registered Users Curl Neophyte
    Or maybe use a plastic water bottle instead of a pitcher...I keep thinking the pitcher is probably too big and the bowl too low for Claudine to get the right pouring angle.
    Oh, Claudine just likes a complex solution.....the fact is, if she just leans over a bit more, and pours in less of a rush, the problem is mostly solved.

As for sloppy drinkers, however, I must defend my pack: they're pretty tidy. They like to unmake the bed, though, so now I figure, why bother making it at all?
    Finlay is the sloppiest drinker I've ever seen. He has a placemat. It doesn't help. I think he dunks his face in there then walks around letting it drip :)
    Oh, we have placemats. Have to have a placemat.

Finlay can't help himself. He has a beard and moustache, right? All my poodles would walk around dripping after drinking. It's just their haircuts.
    Even clean faced he manages to do it. I think he likes it :)
  • StarmieStarmie Posts: 7,169Registered Users Curl Virtuoso
    Jed is an amazingly dribble free drinker. Especially noticeable after his very messy predecessors.
    As for the original question, I haven't a clue. I take the water bowl to the kitchen and fill it from the tap.
    3b in South Australia.
    I have more trouble with the shallow bowl. I think I should change it out, but it seems virtually useless for almost any other use. It's their back-up bowl.
    As for Fin, some dogs do delight in snorfing their water. Once when I was apartment sitting and sharing space with another dog, I got upset because Bruno, the other dog, would mess up my dog's water bowl. Someone described it as "Bruno is besmirching Shadow's water." Then I felt embarrassed to have minded, but my feelings didn't change.

Sadie drools sometimes. I chase her with a napkin.
  • CurlyInTheFogCurlyInTheFog Posts: 876Registered Users
    I was thinking bloodhounds and Newfs, lol. I know some dogs are much more jowly (yeah, that's a word, maybe) than others. We have a very shallow water bowl, but I usually wash and refill it so just bring it over to the sink.
    3a/b, F, normal porosity

Suave conditioner, LAL gel

Leave a Comment

BoldItalicStrikethroughOrdered listUnordered list
Emoji
Align leftAlign centerAlign rightToggle HTML viewToggle full pageToggle lights
Drop image/file