Ocean Treatment

GreatcurlsGreatcurls Registered Users Posts: 1,784 Curl Connoisseur
Soon (maybe already for some) many of us will go to the beach. What do you use as protection for your hair? For years, I've used a cocktail of sunblock lotion and vaseline or a conditioner and oil prior to entering the ocean.

This year, I'd like to use the natural sea salt as a natural hair shampoo/clarifier. The times when I forgot to pre-treat before entering the ocean, I noticed that my hair had a "squeak" to it and was a little dry. But after I rinsed, low-pooed, and DC, my hair was softer, didn't need as much styling product, and the styles lasted longer.
Mod CG-Naturally Highly Porous and Dry
 *This list is not exhaustive...
CoWash: various
DT: various
Leave-in: 100% Mafura butter, Shima Hair Leave-in 
Stylers: MoroccanOil Curl Defining Cream, various
Spritz/Sealant:not now
*experimenting and loving it!

Comments

• PseudoavatarPseudoavatar Registered Users Posts: 14
    I have started using virgin coconut oil and nothing else, and I think it works quite well. It's heavy enough to not let water penetrate. It also protects from the sun. I'm not sure that regular sunblock is good for the hair, but they do make conditioners with sunblock. I have tried a leave-in spray like that from Bonacure, but I think they use -cones in their products, so I won't be using it this summer.
    Growing out natural hair color and transitioning from -cones and SLS to more natural hair care.
  • KaZenner1990KaZenner1990 Registered Users Posts: 859
    In another thread we found mango butter to be as good. I will use a combo of both as overnight treatments before going for swimming and add condish with a with an uv absorbing ingredient. And hope I won't dry my hair much.

Sent from my GT-I9000 using CurlTalk App
    2C/3A Botticelli/Corkicelli.Growing out color/heat damage
    M/C, Low/Medium/High Por, Normal Elast. Medium Density
    LP: INSIGHT DAMAGED HAIR Restructurizing Shampoo
    CO: Generic protein conditioner, Hair Academy Deep Cleansing CO
    DET/RO/LI: GNC Avocado And Shea Butter Conditioner +/mask,
    Styler: Schwarzkopf Taft Fixing GelWellaflex Instant Volume Boost Mousse
    DT: EVOO, C.O
    HG
    Goal: WL when curly
    CG since Feb 2014
  • FimuFimu Registered Users Posts: 322 Curl Neophyte