How do you survive the summer?

VoluminousGirlyVoluminousGirly Posts: 219Registered Users
It's waaaaay to hot for me *grabs shorts and tank tops and mini portable fan*

Anyways, what do you do for the summer? Creams, gels, mousse, hairspray, etc?

What do you do if you hair loses control during the day?

Sing with Barney tune:
Frizz loves me
I hate frizz
It sticks to me
like a kid
with some creams
and some gel
and then nothing does the trick
Please help me
My curly friends.
:afro:

Comments

• curlicious13curlicious13 Posts: 1,632Registered Users Curl Neophyte
    I use boats loads of gel on my hair. I don't use glycerin because it will dry out my hair. I always have a cup of ice water near by to keep me cool. It's hot in TX & cold water keeps my migraines at bay.
  • jeepcurlygurljeepcurlygurl Posts: 20,724Registered Users, Curl Ambassador Curl Virtuoso
    I love hot and humid weather and I like big crazy hair. I do wear it up in a pony of braid more often when it's hot. But other than that I use the same products and have the same routine.
    --I'm located in Western PA.   --I found NC in late 2004, CG since February 2005, joined the forums in May 2005, started going grey in late 2005.   --My hair is 3B with some 3A, currently at mid back length when dry,  texture-medium/fine, porosity-top is low, middle is medium, ends are porous, elasticity-normal.   --My long time favorite products are Suave & VO5 conditioners, LA Looks Sport Gel, coconut oil, honey, vinegar.   
    --My CG and grey hair progress -  
    http://www.naturallycurly.com/curltalk/going-gray/179328-jeepys-grey-hair-progress.html   
    --My article at NaturallyCurly about going grey - 
    https://www.naturallycurly.com/curlreading/color/how-i-went-completely-gray-and-loved-it
  • dixygirldixygirl Posts: 279Banned Users
    3b/c, 2c at nape, fine, norm-hi porosity, low density, biracial, BSL
    Conditioner:Kanechom, Silicon Mix. Hello Hydration. ApHogee 2min
    Co-Wash: $ store cond
    Prepoo: combinations of:yogurt, liquid aminos, honey,mustard oil, egg,red palm oil,coconut milk
    Leave in Products: Silicon Mix Proteina de Perla LI, coconut milk, coconut oil, olive oil, or mustard oil
    Naturally curly color treated
    Fan of www.tightlycurly.com "Curly Like Me"
  • VoluminousGirlyVoluminousGirly Posts: 219Registered Users
    I use boats loads of gel on my hair. I don't use glycerin because it will dry out my hair. I always have a cup of ice water near by to keep me cool. It's hot in TX & cold water keeps my migraines at bay.

Isn't it weird carrying a cup of water everywhere?
    Sing with Barney tune:
    Frizz loves me
    I hate frizz
    It sticks to me
    like a kid
    with some creams
    and some gel
    Please help me
    My curly friends.
  • CurlyDiva71CurlyDiva71 Posts: 130Registered Users Curl Neophyte
    It gets pretty hot and humid here in St. Louis. Thank goodness for air conditioning!
    When I do go outside, I've just learned that my hair will do what it wants. Yes, it's going to get big and poofy in the humidity. Yes, it will probably frizz. Yes, it will shrink up even more than it usually does. I just use lots of gel and don't stress about it. I've actually come to like that my hair has a mind of its own, and I never thought I'd say such a thing. It took me a long time to realize how much my hair fits my personality. I have always marched to the beat of my own drummer, and so does my hair. :mrgreen:
    I don't care much for hot weather though. I hate to be hot! But I actually like the way my curls look in the heat, frizz and all!

3A, a mix of boticelli, corkicelli, and a few s-waves, baby fine, naturally porous, medium/high density

Pre-poo: coconut oil
    Co-wash: TJ's Tea Tree Tingle, Sauve Naturals, VO5, As I Am coconut co-wash
    Conditioner: TJ's Nourish, Tresseme Naturals, Sauve Naturals coconut, SM Coconut & Hibiscus
    LI: KCKT
    Styling: DevaCurl Light Defining Gel, HETT Mousse (HG's!)
    EcoStyler Krystal (new HG!!!), BRHG
    coconut oil or jojoba oil to SOTC
    Color treated with demi-permanent color to cover first grays
  • thecurlycockneythecurlycockney Posts: 28Registered Users
    I was actually just about to do a youtube video on this!

Hair care can be difficult in the summer because the heat raises the cuticle, so the key for summer hair care is to keep the cuticle sealed and moisture in.....for me that's silicones but if you don't use cones then a thick oil like JBCO is needed. I also need a humectant like glycerine to attract the moisture into the shaft too.

I mix glycerine and water in my spray bottle and spritz my hair damp in the morning. I then apply mixed chicks leave in (high in glycerine and protein), seal with coconut oil and then I apply the organix coconut milk serum. I might apply a gel or styler but I always leave to air dry in the summer.

I apply a cone serum after the water, leave in and oil because it creates a film over the hair shaft, locks the moisture in and also seals the cuticle from raising in the hot weather and losing all of my moisture. I also wash my hair in cold water only to help keep the cuticle closed too and do regular acv rinses.

Updos are definitely useful in the hot weather, to protect the hair and also because it can get reeeeaaaalllllyyyy hot and irritating on my shoulders!

Hope this helps :) x
  • VoluminousGirlyVoluminousGirly Posts: 219Registered Users
    I was actually just about to do a youtube video on this!

Hair care can be difficult in the summer because the heat raises the cuticle, so the key for summer hair care is to keep the cuticle sealed and moisture in.....for me that's silicones but if you don't use cones then a thick oil like JBCO is needed. I also need a humectant like glycerine to attract the moisture into the shaft too.

I mix glycerine and water in my spray bottle and spritz my hair damp in the morning. I then apply mixed chicks leave in (high in glycerine and protein), seal with coconut oil and then I apply the organix coconut milk serum. I might apply a gel or styler but I always leave to air dry in the summer.

I apply a cone serum after the water, leave in and oil because it creates a film over the hair shaft, locks the moisture in and also seals the cuticle from raising in the hot weather and losing all of my moisture. I also wash my hair in cold water only to help keep the cuticle closed too and do regular acv rinses.

Updos are definitely useful in the hot weather, to protect the hair and also because it can get reeeeaaaalllllyyyy hot and irritating on my shoulders!

Hope this helps :) x

I thought silicones were bad for curly hair???
    Sing with Barney tune:
    Frizz loves me
    I hate frizz
    It sticks to me
    like a kid
    with some creams
    and some gel
    Please help me
    My curly friends.
  • tengoRizostengoRizos Posts: 195Registered Users
    Cones aren't necessarily bad. They keep things in or out of the hair. So if you are using them right after shampooing, you will seal the hair from getting moisture, which is bad for curly hair. But if you use a cone-free conditioner/leave-in first, the silicones will lock in that moisture. Oils do the same thing.

Also, the no-cones started before there were options for clarifying other than the harsh sulfates. So the only way to remove the silicones was stripping them off the hair. Now there is coco betatiene and the like.

At least that is my understanding. Someone correct me if I'm wrong.
    2c/3a mix and very fine, normal porosity
    Shampoo: Loreal EverSleek Sulfate-free (Only 1 or 2x a week)

CoWash Suave Naturals Coconut or VO5 Kiwi Lime Squeeze

Rinse Out: Giovanni 2chic Avocado and Olive Oil or GVPCB

Leave in: More Suave Naturals Coconut or GVPCB Always diluted with water/epsom salt spray

Products: AG Re:coil with EcoStyler Olive Oil gel or HETT gel

• SpiralliSpiralli Posts: 3,684Registered Users Curl Connoisseur
    I usually do half-ups, stubby ponytails, buns or twists. I'm on the borderline these days -- my hair starts out okay but gets frizzy as the day progresses, so I will probably resort to updos every day pretty soon.
    Type: 3b/3c (i), below shoulder length.
    CO wash: A-O GPB LYY, Desert Essence Coconut, Oribe Silverati
    Leave-ins: Curl Junkie Beauti-Curls, KCKT, cno overnight
    Styling: BRHG, MGA Sculpting Gel, A-O Mandarin Magic Gel, LOTD AVG, LALSG, CJ Pattern Pusha
    DT: Curl Junkie Deep Fix, Briogeo Don't Despair Repair!
  • FraenzyFraenzy Posts: 48Registered Users
    wow!
    I did not think this will be a problem for me soon, but suddenly summer startet in Germany (at least today!) and my hair, after a good start of second day hair, ended up super poofy and frizzy!

I put some Aloe Vera gel on my roots in the morning (does it do any good anyway?) and used some more eco styler oliv oil - my curls were ok, til midday... :blob6:

I am not sure wethere we will have a real summer here or not, for the first time I do not need one, cause I am still trying to find the best routine for me and high humidity and heat might interrupt that :toothy6:
    2c/3a curls
    low porosity, medium/high density, medium width (as far as I see now ;) )
    CG since March 2014

Still searching for the best products!

Routine now:

Cleanse/shampoo with YTC Nourishing Shampoo
    Cleanse with SM Yucca Baobab Conditioner/Rainforest Moisture Conditioner
    YTC Pampering Conditioner/Loreal Everpure Moisture RO or LI
    For styling I use any Eco styler gel (do not like the Argan oil that much)
    For DC I mix SM Condi+Honey+Olive Oil
  • CGSince2002CGSince2002 Posts: 1,073Banned Users

I read in a couple of your posts that you use LALWL (like me) but it does have glycerin among the first ingredients...
    Joined Curltalk 1st time in early '02 shortly after starting CG. I'm a non-practicing Cosmetologist.
    Hair: color-treated, mostly 3A.
    CO-wash: VO5 K&L
    RO: SpaHaus Salon w/OO, VO5 Shea Cashmere, W.R. Trop. Coconut, Daily Defense Moisturizing & others.
    LI: Beautiful Curls w/Shea Butter & C.O., Hollywood Beauty OO Creme, VO5 K&L, Aveda Be Curly Curl Enhancer.
    Gels: LAL Wet Look, ORS Lock & Twist.
    Oils: Jojoba, EVCO & Africa's Best Ultimate Herbal Oil

• CGSince2002CGSince2002 Posts: 1,073Banned Users
    tengoRizos wrote: »
    Also, the no-cones started before there were options for clarifying other than the harsh sulfates. So the only way to remove the silicones was stripping them off the hair. Now there is coco betatiene and the like.

At least that is my understanding. Someone correct me if I'm wrong.

I really didn't understand what you were trying to say, "coco" betaine (cocamidopropyl betaine) has been around "forever", it's the main ingredient in most baby shampoos... CG was about just "no shampoo" at all, of any kind, only exception was for wavies with oily scalp but they had to cover their hair with CO. The real reason to avoid 'cones was so one could stay shampoo-free because shampoo roughens the cuticle which contributes to frizz, also, it's nearly impossible to completely rinse off curly hair (like detergent from a sponge).

'Cones are the ones that have not been around as long. As I recall, "Finesse" was the first brand of hair products I ever bought that advertised self-adjusting conditioning, it contained dimethicone and that was around 1992. Later I used Panthene (but this one might've added them earlier, idk). After those brands became popular others did the copy-cat thing and then other 'cones came into the picture, like dimethicone copolyol, cyclomethicone (which evaporates) and amodimethicone. The first time I saw cyclopentasiloxane was probably around or less than 10 years ago; and more recently phenyl trimethicone and bis-aminopropyl dimethicone.
    Joined Curltalk 1st time in early '02 shortly after starting CG. I'm a non-practicing Cosmetologist.
    Hair: color-treated, mostly 3A.
    CO-wash: VO5 K&L
    RO: SpaHaus Salon w/OO, VO5 Shea Cashmere, W.R. Trop. Coconut, Daily Defense Moisturizing & others.
    LI: Beautiful Curls w/Shea Butter & C.O., Hollywood Beauty OO Creme, VO5 K&L, Aveda Be Curly Curl Enhancer.
    Gels: LAL Wet Look, ORS Lock & Twist.
    Oils: Jojoba, EVCO & Africa's Best Ultimate Herbal Oil

• CatitudeBooCatitudeBoo Posts: 590Registered Users Curl Connoisseur
    my hair behaves best in the summer because I live in a hot & dry climate, which is great for wash days! In case my hair misbehaves, I always trust in the pineapple.
    CG since Dec. 2013  B)
    3b/c ~ fine ~ high porosity ~ low density
    No-Poo: SheaMoisture Manuka Honey & Mafura Oil Shampoo 
    RO: Tresemme Botanique Nourish & Replenish Conditioner 
    Stylers: Tresemme Flawless Curls Mousse & Extra Hold Hairspray 

Leave a Comment

BoldItalicStrikethroughOrdered listUnordered list
Emoji
Align leftAlign centerAlign rightToggle HTML viewToggle full pageToggle lights
Drop image/file