As I Am vs. Kinky Curly

russianprncssrussianprncss Posts: 450Registered Users Curl Neophyte
Okay,

So I'm considering gels from both these companies because I've heard they're more natural than Deva. Is this true?

How natural are these companies really?

And are there others I'm missing that I should check out that are as chemical free as possible? I know Deva contains carcinogenic ingredients and I'm really not down with that.

Thanks!
2C/3A; very, very thick fine to medium hair; low porosity.

Current Products:
Co-Wash: As I Am Cleansing Co-Wash
Conditioner: Shea Moisture Tahitian Masque, Aubrey Organics GPB, Shea Moisture
Leave-In: Coffee Coco Curl Creme, Coffee Coco Curl Creme Lite
Stylers: Mop Top Curl Custard, Shea Moisture Curl Custard[/FONT]

"Forget not that the earth delights to feel your bare feet and the winds long to play with your hair." -Khalil Gibran

Comments

• sixelamysixelamy Posts: 4,157Registered Users Curl Novice
    Deva is not natural in the least. As I Am is a bit better, but I wouldn't consider them natural either. Kinky Curly is your best bet. I personally hated the As I Am jelly.

Sevi has a gel, but it's a very light hold - so if you need something strong scratch that :)
    2c-3a - med-coarse - normal-high porosity - high density
    :bunny:
    NP/LP: CJ Daily Fix, KMF Whenever / Giovanni TTTT
    RO/LI: Aussie Moist, CJ Argan & Olive Oil, Hask Keratin Protein
    DC/PROTEIN: KC Stellar Strands / CNPF
    STYLER: CJ Curl Queen
    COLOR: henna, amla & indigo
    :thumbdown:: glycerin in high/low dews, polyquat-10 & 11, parabens
  • ashlyndmarieashlyndmarie Posts: 211Registered Users
    Hated as I am smoothing gel. It worked decent but was too thick. Kinky curly was too tricky for me. I used to get great curls and definition from it when my hair was bleached blonde but now it turns my curls into fried looking waves. I really enjoy shea moisture curling soufflé or just skipping gel altogether. I like big fluffy curls
  • dixygirldixygirl Posts: 279Banned Users
    I will have to get some Shea Moisture Curling Souffle to give it a try!
    3b/c, 2c at nape, fine, norm-hi porosity, low density, biracial, BSL
    Conditioner:Kanechom, Silicon Mix. Hello Hydration. ApHogee 2min
    Co-Wash: $ store cond
    Prepoo: combinations of:yogurt, liquid aminos, honey,mustard oil, egg,red palm oil,coconut milk
    Leave in Products: Silicon Mix Proteina de Perla LI, coconut milk, coconut oil, olive oil, or mustard oil
    Naturally curly color treated
    Fan of www.tightlycurly.com "Curly Like Me"
  • CurlyCutie1394CurlyCutie1394 Posts: 348Registered Users
    Fair warning on the soufflé a little goes a long way if you use too much it's a sticky mess too little not enough hold but once you find that perfect amount you get some really nice results. It's the only gel I use but I rarely use gels
  • russianprncssrussianprncss Posts: 450Registered Users Curl Neophyte
    I LOVE the gel. I don't think I figured out how to use it (didn't know as much about gel application), but I think I might try some more again!

I really like the souffle, too.
    2C/3A; very, very thick fine to medium hair; low porosity.

Current Products:
    Co-Wash: As I Am Cleansing Co-Wash
    Conditioner: Shea Moisture Tahitian Masque, Aubrey Organics GPB, Shea Moisture
    Leave-In: Coffee Coco Curl Creme, Coffee Coco Curl Creme Lite
    Stylers: Mop Top Curl Custard, Shea Moisture Curl Custard[/FONT]

"Forget not that the earth delights to feel your bare feet and the winds long to play with your hair." -Khalil Gibran
  • geekrockgirl85geekrockgirl85 Posts: 170Registered Users
    I bought As I Am curling jelly because I couldn't find KCCC in any local stores in PA. The texture is a little weird to dry hands (but I've heard the same about KCCC), and it seems like a "little goes a long way" kind of product for me, but I like it. My post-pineapple 2nd and 3rd day curls seem much more defined with it compared to the La Bella.
    2c. present color& past heat damage, fine, low-density, high porosity, happy with some protein. re-CG as of 5/2014. Wash:V05 PFS or KLS, RO: (trying to use up my stash; so it's always different!), LI: Cure Care, DT: SM Smooth & Repair Hair Masque, Style: Ecostyler Olive Oil / La Bella Lots of Curls gel
  • AshleyaAshleya Posts: 4Registered Users
    I'm currently getting consistently good results with the asiam leave in conditioner and curling jelly. Doesn't seem like I can use too much of the jelly. KCCC would have white flakes all over my hair even when I didn't put anything under it. Shea moisture curl souffle and the gel combo was too "gunky" for me and the curl milk doesn't seem to do much. I did like the kinky curly spiral spritz when I could find it but was too expensive for such a smallaamount of product.
  • CarnitasolCarnitasol Posts: 5Registered Users, Curl Ambassador Curl Neophyte
    is the asiam smoothing gel good

Leave a Comment

BoldItalicStrikethroughOrdered listUnordered list
Emoji
Align leftAlign centerAlign rightToggle HTML viewToggle full pageToggle lights
Drop image/file