CurlTalk

Have you changed your makeup as you got older?

curlypearlcurlypearl Posts: 11,970Registered Users Curl Neophyte
If you have, what changes have you made? There's loads of videos on this. Sometimes they contradict each other.

I'm thinking maybe I should lighten up on the coverage of my foundation (but not the color). Also thinking maybe I should switch to cream blush instead of powder. I don't have many wrinkles, but my freckles have morphed into age spots.

Thoughts?
2/c Coarse hair med. density.
Highly porous. Color over grey.
I love all the Curl Junkie products. Still experimenting with gels and curl creams. Still hoping for 2nd day hair....
Every day is a gift :flower:

Comments

• claudine191claudine191 Posts: 8,220Registered Users
    I have, and the reason is laziness.

I wore more makeup when I was young because I enjoyed transforming myself.

However, my desire to acquire makeup has, if anything, increased exponentially. I'm a real sucker for good packaging design.
  • curry curlscurry curls Posts: 969Registered Users Curl Dabbler
    ^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^Me too!

I love all the packaging stuff. And, if it comes with a cute name like "fairy dust" or something I'm tempted. :)

I don't really wear makeup. I did when I was young, but not so much now. My cheeks are pink enough, and I like my own lip color. I am trying to wear more lip stuff though. I feel different when I put on lipstick...powerful or something dorky like that. :) since my hair is graying, I'm wearing more blackberry shades on my lips but not too dark. I blot them a little. Those shades seem to go better with my hair, eyes, and complexion now.
    Started CG July 8, 2008 :)

3[SIGPIC][/SIGPIC]

Co-wash: Trader Joe's Tea Tree Tingle or Trader Joe's Nourish Spa
    Rinse out: Ion Effective Care Treatment
    Leave-in/Styling: Alba Botanica leave in with Kenra Moisturizing Conditioner :love2: on top
  • jeepcurlygurljeepcurlygurl Posts: 19,238Registered Users Curl Dabbler
    I haven't changed too much. I thought I needed heavy foundation when I was younger and am happy I no longer do that. Now I use a powder foundation with a light finish. I didn't used to wear eyeliner until I was older and my lashes got thin. Now I use a waterproof liquid eyeliner.
    Other than that I still wear powder blush, lip crayon, and waterproof mascara like I did 40 years ago.
    If I'm dressing up for an occasion I'll also use eyeshadow and brow pencil.
    --I'm located in Western PA.
    --I found NC in late 2004, CG since February 2005, started going grey in late 2005.
    --My hair is 3B with some 3A, texture-medium/fine, porosity-normal except for the ends which are porous, elasticity-normal.
    --My long time favorite products are Suave & VO5 conditioners, LA Looks Sport Gel, oils, honey, vinegar.
    --My CG and grey hair progress -- http://www.naturallycurly.com/curltalk/going-gray/179328-jeepys-grey-hair-progress.html
  • spiderlashes5000spiderlashes5000 Posts: 17,495Registered Users Curl Neophyte
    Sadly, I'm getting less attractive as I get older and I am wearing more make up now to compensate. I could easily go bare-faced (or just eyebrows filled in) 7 or 8 yrs ago and look absolutely fine. Now I can't.

• chupiechupie Posts: 5,270Registered Users Curl Neophyte
    I have had to change a lot the last few months. Hit 50 and woke up with new skin. Seriously It Cosmetics has been a godsend. It and The Balm have made makeup fun again. I also have some mini Boom! sticks coming.
    PS I am actually wearing more makeup than previously to keep my face looking lively and bright.
  • Fifi.GFifi.G Posts: 15,490Registered Users
    My day to day makeup use was not heavy at all for many years. I have little to no makeup on in most of the pictures I come across. I would do full face for dances, proms, events... I played very heavily with it from a young age (my mom sold Mary Kay), and started doing stage makeup when I was young for dance recitals and chorus shows. Mainly I was a tinted moisturizer (if even that), mascara, light blush and Chapstick girl. My senior year I started going to a bar on the weekends and doing more night out makeup, but I have plenty of pictures of me there with no makeup on too. I've actually started doing more as I age, but still not heavy. I didn't even try an eyebrow pencil or powder until I was in my 30's, and I still mainly reach for a gel when I bother doing them. I do a little more light contouring and subtile highlighting from time to time. I've always loved shadows and liner. I have always found it fun, and now I am having fun trying new brands.
    When I hear terms like "hipster" I think, who told cliques they could leave high school??

[SIGPIC][/SIGPIC]
  • kasdenkasden Posts: 1,040Registered Users
    I don't wear shimmery eyeshadow anymore. I was trying to explain it to my niece as she tried to talk me into buying myself something very shimmery. I told her that as a woman matures, she has twice as much skin on her eyelids and if I were to wear shimmery eyeshadow it would look like a disco ball.
    2c/3a, fine, low-med porosity, below BSL, mod CG since 9/09

"I'm fairly certain that given a cape and a nice tiara, I could save the world." - Leigh Standley
    I was always terrified of doing too much to my brows because of my mom. She came from a generation that plucked theirs into oblivion. Not everyone mind you, but several women. The brows were one of the most major parts of the look. Her eyeshadow was always neutral and not shimmery. She didn't over kill on foundation. Just brows. Lots of cleaning up, trimming, plucking, covering, etc. As you age your brows tend to thin anyway, but it seemed liked she messed with hers way more than she should have and that helped matters.

I have always let mine be and lightly cleaned around the edges.

** You can still find my mom sitting in front of a magnifying mirror, with a pair of tweezers, at least 2 times a week. Look... They don't grow that fast ;)
    When I hear terms like "hipster" I think, who told cliques they could leave high school??

[SIGPIC][/SIGPIC]
  • claudine191claudine191 Posts: 8,220Registered Users
    chupie wrote: »
    I have had to change a lot the last few months. Hit 50 and woke up with new skin. Seriously It Cosmetics has been a godsend. It and The Balm have made makeup fun again. I also have some mini Boom! sticks coming.

I have two mascaras from It that I like very much.
  • JLeighsJLeighs Posts: 904Registered Users
    I wear a lot more than I used to, that's for sure. Except foundation. I don't really need it, so I only wear it when I want to look extra-polished. I also realized literally 3 days ago that I need to go thinner on the eyeliner. I didn't care one morning and just did a thin line and when I looked in the mirror at work later (when I was actually awake) I was amazed at how much more open my eyes looked. I use more blush but in a different color now. The Senior Artist at my local Sephora picked out MUFE HD cream blush in 335 (Fawn, I think) and it looks amazing on me. I would have *never* picked that color for myself. I also use lipstick daily now.

However, the one piece of makeup that I'm not thrilled with is the mascara. My eyelashes need serious help. I used to LOVE Yves Singulier. It had a nice thick formula, which I need, but it was so expensive and it would dry out in 3 weeks. Right now I use an eyelash primer with Benefit They're Real, but I'm not totally happy with the Benefit. I love the brush, but the formula is too thin. On the plus side, it lasts pretty long. Any non-drugstore recs?
    2C/3A, fine, higher porosity.
  • 2poodles2poodles Posts: 2,480Registered Users
    I now need to define my brows. They've thinned a bit and the outer edges have become very, very light. I use a pencil from Anastasia. I also switched from powder blush to a cheek stain from Tarte. I really like that - I also use that same stain on my lips. I also line my eyes more than I used to; it really seems to help define them. I've always used mascara, since without it, my eyelashes are invisible.
    [SIGPIC][/SIGPIC]2Poodles :flower: Southeast PA
    fine, med porosity, normal elasticity
    Currently using the following 2 - 3 x/week:
    Living Proof Perfect Hair Day suphate-free Poo, cone-free CO and styling treatment, plus KCCC

• Ms.CabernetMs.Cabernet Posts: 137Registered Users
    I don't wear the heavy foundation I use to wear when I was younger. I now use compact mineral makeup that matches my skin tone and makes me look more "natural". I always apply blush as well. And yes, I've read that as you age, your eyeshadow should be less sparkly and more like in pink/beige/neutral tones. Lips, on the other hand, should not be too "matte" or dark, more peach/pink and always apply a bit of gloss so your lips look "plump" and not too thin.
    JLeighs wrote: »
    I wear a lot more than I used to, that's for sure. Except foundation. I don't really need it, so I only wear it when I want to look extra-polished. I also realized literally 3 days ago that I need to go thinner on the eyeliner. I didn't care one morning and just did a thin line and when I looked in the mirror at work later (when I was actually awake) I was amazed at how much more open my eyes looked. I use more blush but in a different color now. The Senior Artist at my local Sephora picked out MUFE HD cream blush in 335 (Fawn, I think) and it looks amazing on me. I would have *never* picked that color for myself. I also use lipstick daily now.

However, the one piece of makeup that I'm not thrilled with is the mascara. My eyelashes need serious help. I used to LOVE Yves Singulier. It had a nice thick formula, which I need, but it was so expensive and it would dry out in 3 weeks. Right now I use an eyelash primer with Benefit They're Real, but I'm not totally happy with the Benefit. I love the brush, but the formula is too thin. On the plus side, it lasts pretty long. Any non-drugstore recs?

I like how the Benefit looks and doesn't give raccoon eyes but I also CANNOT GET IT OFF at night.

I have two mascaras from It that I like very much.

Seriously considering theirs or something from The Balm.
  • StarmieStarmie Posts: 6,677Registered Users Curl Dabbler
    I didn't start wearing make-up until fairly late in life and haven't changed things much over the years. I keep thinking maybe I should, as I often read that you should change things up now and then, but I really haven't a clue what I'd change.
    3b in South Australia.
  • PerriPPerriP Posts: 6,613Registered Users
    I wear more now that I'm older but I came to the make up wearing game late (I didn't start wearing it daily - on work days- until my late 20s- early 30s)
    Now I use a primer and under eye concealer. I also fill in my brows (I only started this maybe 3-4 years ago). When I started wearing makeup it was just foundation and blush, no concealer or primer.

On the weekend (if I'm not going out) I usually go bare faced (even if I'm running errands). If I'm just meeting up with friends, I'll either go bare faced or just some bb cream, cheek stain, eye liner, mascara and brows.

I rarely wear anything on my lips because I keep having allergic reactions to things, but I know my face looks better when I have some color on my lips
    Modified CG since Dec 2011
  • dixygirldixygirl Posts: 279Banned Users
    I still use only powder and not a cream foundation. But I have started applying coconut oil and bamboo tea to my face under the face powder so it works with my 50 year old skin 8-). Also I use sunblock now
    3b/c, 2c at nape, fine, norm-hi porosity, low density, biracial, BSL
    Conditioner:Kanechom, Silicon Mix. Hello Hydration. ApHogee 2min
    Co-Wash: $ store cond
    Prepoo: combinations of:yogurt, liquid aminos, honey,mustard oil, egg,red palm oil,coconut milk
    Leave in Products: Silicon Mix Proteina de Perla LI, coconut milk, coconut oil, olive oil, or mustard oil
    Naturally curly color treated
    Fan of www.tightlycurly.com "Curly Like Me"
  • spiderlashes5000spiderlashes5000 Posts: 17,495Registered Users Curl Neophyte
    My Boom sticks came today. Going to be nice for quick face!

What are Boom Sticks?

My Boom sticks came today. Going to be nice for quick face!

What are Boom Sticks?

Boom by Cindy Joseph I don't know if I can post a link.
  • WurlyLoxWurlyLox Posts: 4,858Registered Users
    Used to be able to just slap on some blush, a little concealer as needed, mascara, lip gloss and that was fine unless I just wanted to play around with more.

Now at almost 58 I long for those days. Many brown spots and broken capillaries, rosacea, and folliculitis redness on my chin require a lot more to look halfway presentable. I do try to pile on as little as possible, but I won't leave the house except to run thru a drive-thre or something without slapping on something to tone all that down a little. Lasers and IPL have been tried without enough success. I've finally quit spending my money on it.

It still swear by Lancome Effacernes supposedly undereye concealer for all that - I don't use any foundation, just pat that on where needed (If you want to see why/how, look at the most helpful review for it on www.makeupalley.com where I explained in detail - "auntnett") I keep trying other things, but I keep eventually going back to it - it's been well over 20 years now. It works better with my still-fairly-oily skin for the most natural look with the coverage I need.

I don't use shadows and lipsticks with much glitter or frost as it just accentuate lines. I go easier on undereye liner than I used to to keep it from looking too harsh. Otherwise, I tend to stick with the same color families, etc. and haven't changed too much else, though I do keep up with and try out new techniques/tools/products and adopt what works well for me.
    2C/3A/3B - modified CG - fairly fine now, normal/low porosity/normal elasticity

Current Main Rotation: MG217 medicated or Aim2Health 'poos for scalp, Elucence cond., Spiral Solutions Protein & Deeply Decadent Cond., CJCCCC reg or lite,CJ Pattern Pusha,, Giovanni LA Hold Hair Spritz + lots more, sporadically

HG Method: Super Soaker + Smasters-ing, brief upside down diffusing w/360o diffuser then clips/clamps & air dry. Newly gray - stopped my henna glosses!

www.fotki.com/auntnett
  • caramix3acaramix3a Posts: 460Registered Users Curl Neophyte
    Yes. Foundation, for one thing. I never wore ANY up until I was around 50, and only started wearing a little on account of hyperpigmentation(aka sun damage)that my skin is too reactive to really treat, so makeup it is. Lest one think I'm going around with a masky look of foundation, not so. I just found one that's worked for me for a few years now and it looks very natural on the way I apply. They always tell women to lighten up on foundation especially as we age, but that might stem from the stereotype of the aging woman with caked-on makeup and in the wrong color besides. Foundations have greatly improved and there's something for everyone who chooses. The main concern is not applying so heavily that everything settles into lines - not a good look for anyone. Getting the right shade and formula for one's skin is key and it's worth spending a little more for that, plus the better textures and finishes.
    For lips, I've had to go with more muted colors, warm-neutral in my case. Again, they tell women to go with bright lipsticks or very light ones as they age but that doesn't necessarily work on everyone.
    For eyes, I still do them - just not scary looking stuff. No hugely sparkly stuff but I will wear shimmer selectively. Always matte in the crease though. Again, eye shadows have greatly improved textures and there are indeed low-level pearls that add light to the face and don't look so flat as all-matte. Again, what one does around the eyes depends on how one's eyes are aging. Hence I can still wear low-level pearl and shimmer on lid and browbone. As far as colors, I do tend to stay with warm-neutrals, with accents of gold, bronze, deep green, deep teal, copper, plum, mostly in eye liner pencils. This allows me a hit of color while the rest of the eye is more neutral and keeps it from being boring.
    Blush - again, I tend toward the more warm-neutral, not-bright looks - I feel it looks better and more believable on me.
    Probably the biggest thing I do is really blend makeup well as I feel this becomes more important with getting older. Just because I'm older doesn't mean I'll quit wearing makeup - it just gets adjusted a little along the way.:) My aim is to look like myself on a good day LOL!:)
  • curlypearlcurlypearl Posts: 11,970Registered Users Curl Neophyte
    Caramix, what is the new foundation that you found that you like?

Everyone, thanks for input!
    I love all the Curl Junkie products. Still experimenting with gels and curl creams. Still hoping for 2nd day hair....
  • caramix3acaramix3a Posts: 460Registered Users Curl Neophyte
    @curlypearl: The foundation I use isn't new - it's been out for a few years now, and I'm WELL over 50(will be 67 next month to be exact. It's MAC StudioSculpt. I do have to mix a tiny tiny bit of NC 25 in with the NC30 as I'm inbetween shades now. What I do that makes my foundation look natural on me(aside from the good match)is to just take tiny blob of it(since it's a creamy one in a tube rather than liquid in a bottle), rub it between my fingers a bit and then apply from the center of my face out, so that it sheers out by the time I'm out to outer edges of face and jawline. Then I warm my hands by rubbing them together and press palms into face. The heat of the hands, plus the pressing, melts the foundation more into the face and it looks MUCH more natural than just sitting there on top of one's skin. This palms tip was from Bobbi Brown and it really does work.
    One other thing I forgot to mention, was the fact that I only started to wear concealer in the last year and a half, believe it or not. I kind of pooh-poohed it for the longest time thinking either it couldn't make all that much of a difference and it was another makeup step. But honestly, once one has one's techniques down and good tools, it takes a lot less time than one thinks!:) I use MAC Mineralize concealer in NC20, a lighter shade than my StudioSculpt foundation. I know people say to match their concealer to their foundation shade but that doesn't always work for people. If one does the "triangle of light"-type of application(google that for concealer application, or better yet YouTube videos)and extends it out a little beyond outer corner of eye, and blends well, it really does brighten things up considerably, since the whole area around the eyes does tend to darken up with age, some more so than others. Again, the blending - no one wants stripes, or the raccoon look LOL! Sometimes people make fun of it because Kim Kardashian uses this to the max. But a modified version actually works very well, acting kind of like an easy way of reverse contouring. Bottom-line, it takes a little experimenting to find the right combo and application techniques for where one's particular features and bone structure is now. Hope this helps!:)
    For those of you who have sensitive eyes... Have you tried Jane Iredale? I know several of you said you had tried everything, but I thought I would ask to make sure. :) I have used a few products from her mineral makeup line. A highlighter here, Lip Drink there. I picked up one of her eyeshadows today. After throwing out some of my older shadows I needed to replace a middle of the road matte brown shade. I read reviews on it before buying and came across great praise from numerous people with highly sensitive eyes. They all said J.I is the only brand of shadow they can wear.

[SIGPIC][/SIGPIC]
    Also I thought I was allergic to eye makeup bit since I've been using Oasis eye drops (which I can't recommend highly enough.) I'm able to wear it again. I guess it was just my eyes being so dry everything irritated them.
  • curlypearlcurlypearl Posts: 11,970Registered Users Curl Neophyte
    Thanks again everyone for your suggestions! :love3: I'm experimenting with some of the products you suggest.
  • rbbrbb Posts: 4,088Registered Users Curl Dabbler
    Also I thought I was allergic to eye makeup bit since I've been using Oasis eye drops (which I can't recommend highly enough.) I'm able to wear it again. I guess it was just my eyes being so dry everything irritated them.

chupie -- have you tried creme eyeshadows or the chubby sticks? i am also allergic t eye shadow, but it's really the powder form. for the past year or so i've been using clinique chubby sticks for eyes and it's worked out well. i find i have to go into the store to view the colors as they are not even close on my computer.
    and for dry eyes, do you take omega 3s? i started on omega 3s inadvertently and like magic my eyes are no longer dry -- makes sense.

3a, some 2c & 3b, medium texture, porosity normal, low elasticity :-(
    washing/cowashing, conditioning, protein tx: curl junkie products
    leave in:cj conditioners and treatments as leave in
    styling: cj aloe fix gel, cj pattern pusha, cj honey butta leave in, cj cccc, cj ciab.
    sealants - jane carter nourish & shine
  • rigatorigato Posts: 9Registered Users
    no, I am to lazy to do that. ;)

Leave a Comment