Weird hair outcome?

VoluminousGirlyVoluminousGirly Posts: 219Registered Users
So I go to sleep with two pigtail braids.. I wake up.... Bam beautiful beach waves! Now how do I keep it that way?
Gel-- makes hair more curly (2c-3a to like tighter curls) and weighs down
Mousse- makes my hair bigger into a triangle

Help?
Sing with Barney tune:
Frizz loves me
I hate frizz
It sticks to me
like a kid
with some creams
and some gel
and then nothing does the trick
Please help me
My curly friends.
:afro:

Comments

• SereneCurlsSereneCurls Posts: 1,145Registered Users Curl Neophyte
    How about something lighter like a spray gel?
    3a, dense, fairly coarse, normal porosity and elasticity, just below shoulder
    Low poo: Giovanni 50 50
    Co-wash: aia, suave coconut, salon care
    R O: Tresume Naturals, gvpcb
    L I: KCKT, gvpcb
    Stylers: cjpp, re : coil, kccc, brhg
    Oils: coconut, argan
    Experimenting with: curls rock amplifier, pantene mousse
  • VoluminousGirlyVoluminousGirly Posts: 219Registered Users
    How about something lighter like a spray gel?

Is there anything like that at regular stores? (Walmart, target, Fred Meyer, etc.) and hopefully cheap because I spent on a lot of money on gel to find out they don't work.
    Sing with Barney tune:
    Frizz loves me
    I hate frizz
    It sticks to me
    like a kid
    with some creams
    and some gel
    Please help me
    My curly friends.
  • tengoRizostengoRizos Posts: 195Registered Users
    When do you put your gel in? I would try raking it through when your hair is wet, before you braid it. That way your hair is held in the waves that you like
    2c/3a mix and very fine, normal porosity
    Shampoo: Loreal EverSleek Sulfate-free (Only 1 or 2x a week)

CoWash Suave Naturals Coconut or VO5 Kiwi Lime Squeeze

Rinse Out: Giovanni 2chic Avocado and Olive Oil or GVPCB

Leave in: More Suave Naturals Coconut or GVPCB Always diluted with water/epsom salt spray

Products: AG Re:coil with EcoStyler Olive Oil gel or HETT gel

• rbbrbb Posts: 4,355Registered Users Curl Connoisseur
    triangle hair happens when we don't have layers. so a cut, as you planned to do, would be a good place to start.

3a, some 2c & 3b, medium texture, porosity normal, low elasticity :-(
    washing/cowashing, conditioning, protein tx: curl junkie products
    leave in:curl junkie conditioners and treatments as leave in
    styling: curl junkie 
    sealants - jane carter nourish & shine
    tengoRizos wrote: »
    When do you put your gel in? I would try raking it through when your hair is wet, before you braid it. That way your hair is held in the waves that you like

When I put gel in I put it in wet (la looks-- it's cheap) and I never tried to rake it cause I thought it was bad for your hair?

Should I let it dry then braid it or do I add gel then braid it right away?

Weird story: my friend is tying her hair up until I let mine down so :(
    Sing with Barney tune:
    Frizz loves me
    I hate frizz
    It sticks to me
    like a kid
    with some creams
    and some gel
    Please help me
    My curly friends.
    rbb wrote: »
    triangle hair happens when we don't have layers. so a cut, as you planned to do, would be a good place to start.

I just looked up the cons of layering and it gives more volume which I think I have enough of
    Sing with Barney tune:
    Frizz loves me
    I hate frizz
    It sticks to me
    like a kid
    with some creams
    and some gel
    Please help me
    My curly friends.
  • lolo918lolo918 Posts: 729Registered Users Curl Neophyte
    So I go to sleep with two pigtail braids.. I wake up.... Bam beautiful beach waves! Now how do I keep it that way?
    Gel-- makes hair curlies and weighs down

Help?

I saw later down that you said you spent a lot on gels but have you tried flaxseed gel? I don't really like other gels but this one gives me very good hold that stays awhile. Another one I love is Curls control paste- I've used it wet on my finger coils with great results. I prefer the feel of them with flaxseed gel now though.

I tried garnier fructis spray gel- I'm not a fan of using it outside of spraying clips for clipping my croqn hairs. It had a little too much hokd for my tastes but was otherwise fine. It is not too expensive though if you'd like to give it a go.

Sent from my SCH-I200 using CurlTalk App
    3C/4A, fine texture, low-medium density, and low porosity
    CG since November 2013.

Pre-Poo: infrequent now, Coconut Oil overnight
    Shampoo: Curls unleashed/for occasional sulfate wash when needed, everlasting sunshine.
    Conditioner: Suave Naturals Everlasting Sunshine and GVP's conditioning balm.
    Styler: iagirl's flaxseed curl cream or gelatin gel/conditioner mix. <3
    PT: iagirl's gelatin treatment 3-4 times a month, with conditioner/honey/avj
    lolo918 wrote: »
    Gel-- makes hair curlies and weighs down

Help?

I saw later down that you said you spent a lot on gels but have you tried flaxseed gel? I don't really like other gels but this one gives me very good hold that stays awhile. Another one I love is Curls control paste- I've used it wet on my finger coils with great results. I prefer the feel of them with flaxseed gel now though.

I tried garnier fructis spray gel- I'm not a fan of using it outside of spraying clips for clipping my croqn hairs. It had a little too much hokd for my tastes but was otherwise fine. It is not too expensive though if you'd like to give it a go.

Thanks! Isn't the flaxseed gel stuff home made?
    I have that hairspray and it just makes if sticky with white flakes (yuck!)
    Sing with Barney tune:
    Frizz loves me
    I hate frizz
    It sticks to me
    like a kid
    with some creams
    and some gel
    Please help me
    My curly friends.
    I felt the same way and thought it was just my normal heavy handedness! I just made my own batch a couple weeks ago and froze them in an ice tray. I use one or two per wash day and this batch will last almost a month. I spent $1.15 on 0.83 lbs of seeds at the farmers market in the beginning of March. I've got half the bag left and that's with a lot of waste. I only started freezing batches and freezing the seeds to reuse them on my last batch. Before I was making gel every week to week and a half.
    My hair is fine, low porous, and when I stretch my curls out my nape ones reach a little below my collarbone. My bangs reach my upper lip and sides about mid neck.

However- sweetcurlselixir on etsy sells custom flaxseed gels and a lot of people seem to love ordering from her.

CG since November 2013.

Shampoo: Curls unleashed/for occasional sulfate wash when needed, everlasting sunshine.
    I also thought about using some of the garnier mixed with water and maybe conditioner in a spray bottle/container before use as a styler to see if I could salvage it.

CG since November 2013.

• Morgan_AdcockMorgan_Adcock Posts: 2,573Registered Users Curl Neophyte
    Have you tried mousse at the roots, and gel at the ends?
    Peace,
    Morgan

Baby Fine 3B, low porosity, normal density and elasticity
    CGing since July 2008
  • dixygirldixygirl Posts: 279Banned Users
    I find it bizzare that people here only use gel. I find gels and mouses to be extremely unnatural and undesirable products like what the OP seems to be saying. If the only way I could wear my hair curly was to use gels, I guess I would NOT wear curly hair ever.

What about some of these curly products that this youtuber uses for her tail bone length curly hair?
    https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=YYio1vIMapE
    These products seem nice also
    https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Cxga03hltOc
    3b/c, 2c at nape, fine, norm-hi porosity, low density, biracial, BSL
    Conditioner:Kanechom, Silicon Mix. Hello Hydration. ApHogee 2min
    Co-Wash: $ store cond
    Prepoo: combinations of:yogurt, liquid aminos, honey,mustard oil, egg,red palm oil,coconut milk
    Leave in Products: Silicon Mix Proteina de Perla LI, coconut milk, coconut oil, olive oil, or mustard oil
    Naturally curly color treated
    Fan of www.tightlycurly.com "Curly Like Me"
    lolo918 wrote: »
    I felt the same way and thought it was just my normal heavy handedness! I just made my own batch a couple weeks ago and froze them in an ice tray. I use one or two per wash day and this batch will last almost a month. I spent $1.15 on 0.83 lbs of seeds at the farmers market in the beginning of March. I've got half the bag left and that's with a lot of waste. I only started freezing batches and freezing the seeds to reuse them on my last batch. Before I was making gel every week to week and a half.
    My hair is fine, low porous, and when I stretch my curls out my nape ones reach a little below my collarbone. My bangs reach my upper lip and sides about mid neck.

However- sweetcurlselixir on etsy sells custom flaxseed gels and a lot of people seem to love ordering from her.

Well time to make an etsy account!
    And I think the problem is that touching my hair makes it curlier?
    Sing with Barney tune:
    Frizz loves me
    I hate frizz
    It sticks to me
    like a kid
    with some creams
    and some gel
    Please help me
    My curly friends.
    dixygirl wrote: »
    I find it bizzare that people here only use gel. I find gels and mouses to be extremely unnatural and undesirable products like what the OP seems to be saying. If the only way I could wear my hair curly was to use gels, I guess I would NOT wear curly hair ever.

What about some of these curly products that this youtuber uses for her tail bone length curly hair?
    https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=YYio1vIMapE
    These products seem nice also
    https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Cxga03hltOc

Well that's weird since I learned to use gel and mousse from this website 0_0
    Sing with Barney tune:
    Frizz loves me
    I hate frizz
    It sticks to me
    like a kid
    with some creams
    and some gel
    Please help me
    My curly friends.
    YES!! Gel is about the only product recommended here. But I think there are SO MANY other options for styling products. Gels work for one segment of curlies. I'd love to see other types of styling products explored other than gel and other points of view about hair care explored also. I mean there are so many different types of naturally curlies with different methodologies and the focus here is a pretty narrow approach as opposed to a broad view of the subject matter.

I wonder if a cream and rebraid is an upkeep strategy for the OP. I need to know more about their hair type though. As long as her hair doesn't tend to go oily and limp, I think that would work for her.
    Prepoo: combinations of:yogurt, liquid aminos, honey,mustard oil, egg,red palm oil,coconut milk
    Leave in Products: Silicon Mix Proteina de Perla LI, coconut milk, coconut oil, olive oil, or mustard oil
    Well, you see, many of us have tried every approach we could, and found them lacking until we learned about the Curly Girl method, and discovered that it works very well for us. It's simple, protects the structure of our hair, and gives us results we're happy with.

Not wearing my hair curly isn't an option. It doesn't do straight.
    Peace,
    Morgan

CGing since July 2008
    I have worked a several WASPy salons where everyone ran an hid if anyone Black walked in; or they all came running for me to "deal with them". Being multi-lingual, I have also worked at one salon where 100% of clientele were from Latin America and ZERO English was spoken in the salon. For a short time I even worked at a specifically Dominican salon. At that time they did not have any American clientele because it wasn't chic yet for Americans to go to Dominican salons. I have also worked in salons in the "hoods" and my favorite where I did the hair of ethnic celebrities. So I have covered the entire gamut in hair. The techniques promoted by Ms. Massy are exclusively what one of the WASPY salons offered which certainly is not good for all hair types as those stylists detested even having to deal with anyone of color at all! They had no idea of WHAT to do with any hair other than type 1 or 2 Caucasian hair. They had difficulty with Caucasian type 3 hair even (not to mention ethnic type 3 hair). And honestly that is the genre that Lorraine Massey presents in her book. It is a legitimate audience for sure. But it is a quite parochial approach and can benefit greatly from other techniques, tips and tricks used for other hair types. On this forum, everyone is told to use techniques exclusively from the WASP repertoire. Those are not the techniques that work best for all hair types. And the stylists who scattered running at the WASP salons where I worked knew this. I have seen videos on Youtube by clients who got the feeling no one wanted to "deal with" their hair in the same manner at the Devachan salons. So obviously the stylists there also know they are dealing with a limited repertoire or pallet of techniques.

I assume this is the "Naturally Curly" website where all types of curly hair are dealt with. Or is it really simply a site to promote Lorraine Massey's book, salon and exclusively that parochial genre that tries to include all? I sense that only that ONE approach is condoned on this forum even though the site uses the name "naturally curly" which seems more universal.
    Well, you see, many of us have tried every approach we could, and found them lacking until we learned about the Curly Girl method, and discovered that it works very well for us. It's simple, protects the structure of our hair, and gives us results we're happy with.

Not wearing my hair curly isn't an option. It doesn't do straight.

I already have been doing curly girl method for about 10 months now. yes there are results, but after this change/ result, there isn't much that changed
    Sing with Barney tune:
    Frizz loves me
    I hate frizz
    It sticks to me
    like a kid
    with some creams
    and some gel
    Please help me
    My curly friends.
    dixygirl wrote: »
    I have worked a several WASPy salons where everyone ran an hid if anyone Black walked in; or they all came running for me to "deal with them". Being multi-lingual, I have also worked at one salon where 100% of clientele were from Latin America and ZERO English was spoken in the salon. For a short time I even worked at a specifically Dominican salon. At that time they did not have any American clientele because it wasn't chic yet for Americans to go to Dominican salons. I have also worked in salons in the "hoods" and my favorite where I did the hair of ethnic celebrities. So I have covered the entire gamut in hair. The techniques promoted by Ms. Massy are exclusively what one of the WASPY salons offered which certainly is not good for all hair types as those stylists detested even having to deal with anyone of color at all! They had no idea of WHAT to do with any hair other than type 1 or 2 Caucasian hair. They had difficulty with Caucasian type 3 hair even (not to mention ethnic type 3 hair). And honestly that is the genre that Lorraine Massey presents in her book. It is a legitimate audience for sure. But it is a quite parochial approach and can benefit greatly from other techniques, tips and tricks used for other hair types. On this forum, everyone is told to use techniques exclusively from the WASP repertoire. Those are not the techniques that work best for all hair types. And the stylists who scattered running at the WASP salons where I worked knew this. I have seen videos on Youtube by clients who got the feeling no one wanted to "deal with" their hair in the same manner at the Devachan salons. So obviously the stylists there also know they are dealing with a limited repertoire or pallet of techniques.

I assume this is the "Naturally Curly" website where all types of curly hair are dealt with. Or is it really simply a site to promote Lorraine Massey's book, salon and exclusively that parochial genre that tries to include all? I sense that only that ONE approach is condoned on this forum even though the site uses the name "naturally curly" which seems more universal.

Wow that was quite interesting
    Of course they promote products everyone needs money.

But i understand why you said gel and mousse are bad and creams could be better but my cream (garnier leave in sleek and shine? Something like that) makes my hair oily at first with an ending result of dryness and too much volume
    Sing with Barney tune:
    Frizz loves me
    I hate frizz
    It sticks to me
    like a kid
    with some creams
    and some gel
    Please help me
    My curly friends.
  • HtBlackHtBlack Posts: 292Registered Users
    Dixygirl I really have no idea where you get that impression. |: everyone here is only suggesting what WORKED FOR THEM because we can only do that, offer our personal experience. If that happens to be the CG method Massey talks about in her book, why is that a problem? Every curly hair is different and everyone here has a different story, so the whole "only one approach is condoned" argument is really silly. Even people with my same hair properties and similar "hair history" will never be the same as me so how can we approve of only one approach when we're all different? You're making no sense.

Sent from my GT-N7000 using Tapatalk
    A 2C, wishfully thinking of being 3a. Sometimes I get there. CG since October 2013, Eurocurly (just for a few months more!), completely low-porosity now. SBL, wanting elbow length.

--
    Routine:
    CW-LI: Garnier Ultra Doux (Cocoa+Coconut Oil/Mango+Tiaré) or my own products.
    DC: Biofficina Toscana Maschera Nutriente Protettiva, or my own product.
    Homemade FSG, L'Oreal Styling Gel.
    Ps voluminousgirly I think a mist bottle with some conditioner and water would help! Gels and mousses might tighten your curls and oils easily make your hair um, oily. XD choose the conditioner you used as a LI, if you used any, or one that your hair likes. Spritz and then gently smooth your canopy with your hands. You can even scrunch a bit, I don't find conditioner strong enough to change my pattern unless I scrunch a lllloooottt.

When I do this I usually last through the day! HTH.

A 2C, wishfully thinking of being 3a. Sometimes I get there. CG since October 2013, Eurocurly (just for a few months more!), completely low-porosity now. SBL, wanting elbow length.

--
    Routine:
    It DOES make sense. Anytime anyone suggests anything that is contrary to Ms Massey's book, people jump on them that it is not "curly girl" approved. That needs to stop! Most of the curlies on the planet in Latin America an else where have never heard of her techniques and do things totally contrary to her book and they have the most beautiful curly hair on the planet imho.
    Also HtBlack, she is LOOSENING her type 3 curls with a big braid so your technique of tightening curls by scrunching does not apply in this situation. Also, rewetting the hair nightly is not necessarily the best solution to loosen the hair to beach waves either. Depending on her hair type, a less wet cream might work better. Furthermore, you do not know if she has dry or ethnic hair, so the oil that makes your hair oily may actually be indicated for her. You need to know if the person has oily or dry hair first before making such a statement about not apply an oil. Many women in Japan apply ceramide oil as a leave in regularly! Also some women in Latin America and India apply oils on a regular basis. In addition, biracial and Black women find oils very beneficial. Granted most Caucasian women and some with oily, limp hair do not leave in oils but a lot of the rest of the planet DOES, particularly those with chronically dry hair and those who are growing their hair super long.
    Well to answer the ethnic part..
    I'm half japanese and half American.

My hair is like a 2c-3a
    My hair wants to be what it wants to be

And I'll try the water with product thing since I've been experimenting with everything else anyways~
    Sing with Barney tune:
    Frizz loves me
    I hate frizz
    It sticks to me
    like a kid
    with some creams
    and some gel
    Please help me
    My curly friends.
    Dixygirl, I think you have a problem understanding people's basic sentences. I said that SINCE USING GELS AND MOUSSES TIGHTENS THE PATTERN, USING A CONDITIONER WOULD BE BETTER SINCE IT HASN'T GOT ENOUGH HOLD TO TIGHTEN HER CURLS. she wants those beach waves to stay for the day, well for me what works is spritzing water+LI and smoothing it down.
    And about the CG method I've seen countless people and threads mentioning not being cg, using cones and sulphates and all the "forbidden" stuff... and all responses were "if what you're doing makes your hair happy keep doing it!". You just want to debate for the sake of disagreeing with people.

You are trying so hard to be against what other people say that you don't see that they just try to help. I don't know the girl's background so I, like others, simply suggest WHAT HAS WORKED FOR ME, HOPING IT WORKS FOR OTHERS.
    Also I never said oils aren't beneficial for me. I use oils daily. But for some people they aren't good because they make their hair look greasy so I simply suggested that it if she's that kind of person a LI conditioner is a better option. I NEVER TOLD HER NOT TO APPLY OIL, you're so silly.

If everyone stood by your principles no one in the forums would suggest anything to anyone because "oh but wait I don't know every single thing this person might like or not". We simply gube out suggestions based on the info we have and the OP can filter what is good and what isn't or ask for clarification. You're just confusing things by listing every singke hair type's needs, also because guess what, even people from the same ethnic group have hair that behaves differently, so what you said matters only up to a certain degree.

--
    Routine:
  • SystemSystem Posts: 39,060 Administrator
    BE COURTEOUS. BE TOLERANT. You're about to encounter many new friends in our community, with many new and interesting viewpoints. Please be respectful and tolerant of everyone you meet, even if you disagree with their opinions. Don't use language that is threatening, abusive, harassing, hateful or racially or ethnically objectionable. And don't engage in personal attacks. This includes NaturallyCurly.com staff, who work hard to keep our Community a fun spot to visit.

May I add that you can agree to disagree. Dixygirl, not everyone will agree with you, but you that is no cause to constantly argue thread after thread. Please stop.
    Please don't fight guys >___<
    Sing with Barney tune:
    Frizz loves me
    I hate frizz
    It sticks to me
    like a kid
    with some creams
    and some gel
    Please help me
    My curly friends.
  • FrostiiLoveFrostiiLove Posts: 105Registered Users
    Hey VoluminousGirly!

I'm not a wavy but I have fine, low porosity hair that's gets oily and weighed down easily and the best thing I've found that lightly holds my hair and is not a gel is Jane Carter's Hair Nourishing Cream. I works on both wet and dry hair but I noticed it produces more defined results on wet/damp hair so it just depends on the look you're going for.
    Okay, but you asked, and I answered.

You're absolutely correct that this site is for all people with hair that isn't naturally straight. In the hair sections, we talk about our own experiences with our hair, what's worked for us, what hasn't worked, and offer advice and encouragement to each other. Sometimes people who are hairdressers offer advice and information, but I would say that we're more a community of people with naturally bendy hair than a ready audience for professional advice. Most of us have more than a few horror stories about our experiences at the hands of people who supposedly know better than we do about our own hair.

We all have our own points of view, and we discuss them here.
    Peace,
    Morgan

CGing since July 2008
    Sorry @voluminousgirly. I'll just PM you about it. I just want to explain the situation.

My point about water and conditioner still stands though, definitely try it. ^.^

--
    Routine:
    Soooo anyways..

Is it a bad idea to use hairspray? Cause it was the best effect on my hair over gels and mousses (probably cause hairspray doesn't make my hair more curly/ give it more volume which apparently everyone wants)
    Sing with Barney tune:
    Frizz loves me
    I hate frizz
    It sticks to me
    like a kid
    with some creams
    and some gel
    Please help me
    My curly friends.

Leave a Comment