Shea Moisture Hair Dye

the1withthehairthe1withthehair Registered Users Posts: 83
Has anyone used the hair dye and how well was your hair colored?

Comments

• curlicious13curlicious13 Registered Users Posts: 1,632 Curl Neophyte
    I haven't used it but a friend has used it. She like it & said it was gentle.
  • the1withthehairthe1withthehair Registered Users Posts: 83
    Thanks!!
  • Cristy_amkCristy_amk Registered Users Posts: 171 Curl Neophyte
    I've wondered about it too. I posted awhile back but don't think I got any responses. My Target doesn't carry it though :(
  • CurlyMia929CurlyMia929 Registered Users Posts: 5
    Does anyone know if it works on dark hair?
  • juanabjuanab Registered Users Posts: 4,037 Curl Neophyte
    Does anyone know if it works on dark hair?

Yes it does. My daughter's hair is really dark, and the Light Auburn looked great in her hair.

texture - medium/fine, porosity - low/normal, elasticity - normal
    co-wash - NaturelleGrow Coconut Water or Marshmallow Root, Slippery Elm Bark & Blue Malva Cleansing Conditioners
    LI - KCKT mixed w/ SM C & H Curl & Style Milk
    DC - NG Mango & Coconut H2O or Chamomile/Brdck Root
    Gel - SM souffle (winter), KCCC (summer) or CR Naturals Aloe Whipped Butter Gel (year round)
    Sealers - Virgin Coconut Oil, Avocado butter, Aloe butter
    Ayurvedic treatments - Jamila Henna, Sukesh, Aloe Vera Powder, Hibiscus Powder

event.png
  • DaniGirl88DaniGirl88 Registered Users Posts: 1,583 Curl Neophyte
    I am interested in this too. I wanted to try it but I don't know anyone that has used it before.

Edit: I read some reviews online and they're mixed. Some people loved it, some people were blah about it. I did notice that it didn't really make too much of a difference on really dark brown/black hair. In fact, one lady had to take it back because the blonde color she purchased didn't do anything to her strand test (at all). So, she got the bright auburn color and it came out about a shade lighter than than her natural color. So, if anything, I've noticed it tinting the natural hair color or just changing it slightly. I hope that helps someone! It helped me. =)
    [SIGPIC][/SIGPIC]

3B, fine, normal porosity, high density, medium width and length
    Conditioner: Tresemme Naturals, Trader Joe's Tea Tree Tingle
    Co-Wash: As I Am Coconut Co-Wash
    Leave in Products: As I Am Leave-In, SM Smoothie/Milk, KCKT, Giovanni Direct Leave-In
    Air Dry

Looking for new products and methods to try!

• MishayeMishaye Registered Users Posts: 2
    Wow...didn't know they made a dye. Don't think it's available yet in Toronto. :(

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk
  • KoilsandKurlsKoilsandKurls Registered Users Posts: 18
    I have dark 4a/3c hair and used Shea Moisture's reddish blonde color August 2013. I loved the results. My hair felt so soft & moisturized after, it kinda felt like I used a conditioning treatment tbh. My hair was a bright coppery red color, but it faded into a more subdued reddish gold color by September. I never touched up, I just let my hair grow out & the color faded into a medium brown. My ends are still brown to this day, a year later.

Here's a shot of it from August last year ImageUploadedByCurlTalk1404138185.628102.jpg
  • HaileyRHaileyR Registered Users Posts: 98
    My hair is golden blonde and I have 2c/3a hair. Ifs not as kinky and thick as most of the people who use this product (from the people I know that use it)
    It's extremely frizzy and thin but there's a LOT of if.
    It's deff curly, not wavy.
    I'm interested in this product because I hear it's very gentle.
    But would this product seem like it would be too strong on my hair?
    High Porosity
    Fine
    Dense
    2c-3b
  • KilajoKilajo Registered Users Posts: 786 Curl Neophyte
    ^^Do people think kinky hair is strong? Do people really think that goes hand in hand? Just wondering. Carry on.
  • BotticelliBritBotticelliBrit Registered Users Posts: 2,075 Curl Neophyte
    I think you got the wrong end of the stick there!

I got the impression that she meant because her strands weren't as thick and her hair is a much lighter colour than the majority of people who have used the product, that she was wondering if the dye would be too strong as in too HEAVY - like either too moisturising for her thinner strands or too strong a colour (like too bright) for her already light hair.

I don't think she's talking about strength in terms of kinky hair being 'physically' stronger at all. That's how I read it anyway
    3B. Med porosity. Med thickness. Med density.

LP: Shea Moisture (currently JBCO)
    Conditioner/CW: Jason Aloe Vera

LI: Aunt Jackie's Curls & Coils Quench
    Refreshing: TRESemmé Naturals Aloe Vera & Avocado
    Gel: DevaCurl Ultra Defining Gel
    DC:
    Aunt Jackie's Soft & Sassy Super Duper Softening Conditioner
    Treatments: Coconut oil/Coconut milk

UK curly. CG since Oct 2013.
    Growing my hair to WL when dry :thumright:
    Not sure what you mean by wrong end of the stick. But I don't think I misread at all. I may have taken something different from her intent but I read precisely what she said.

Based on her post the majority of people that use it are kinky and thick. Her hair is not. Would it be gentle enough for her hair. So in other words it sounds as if it's gentle to kinky and thick hair but may not be to hers. My take away is that she may think that kinky hair is strong to withstand it but hers may not be. The kinky hair I've dealt with is breakage prone and does not do well with processing unless done gently and with care. Tis all.

I got the impression that she meant because her strands weren't as thick and her hair is a much lighter colour than the majority of people who have used the product, that she was wondering if the dye would be too strong as in too HEAVY - like either too moisturising for her thinner strands or too strong a colour (like too bright) for her already light hair.

I don't think she's talking about strength in terms of kinky hair being 'physically' stronger at all. That's how I read it anyway

100% what I meant. I have family with kinky hair, about as kinky as can get. I undestand how fragile it is, espesially since I'm the one designated to tend to the kinky kids hair.
    High Porosity
    Fine
    Dense
    2c-3b
    So let me clarify.
    The question is, is it too heavy for thin strands, and will the color be very bright on light hair? I'd be doing an auburn so my fear is it will be a very bright red
    High Porosity
    Fine
    Dense
    2c-3b
  • SweetRellieSweetRellie Registered Users Posts: 468 Curl Neophyte
    HaileyR wrote: »
    So let me clarify.
    The question is, is it too heavy for thin strands, and will the color be very bright on light hair? I'd be doing an auburn so my fear is it will be a very bright red

Maybe do a Google search like, "Shea Moisture dye thin hair" and see if anyone has reviews on it. Also, try a strand test. Just make sure u purchase the dye from a refundable store.
    Thick, highly porous but protein sensitive 4a hair
    Modified Curly Girl Method

Current Staples
    Cowash/Rinse-Out: Not Your Mother’s Naturals Tahitian Gardenia Flower & Mango Butter Conditioner
    Shampoo: NYM Naturals Tahitian Gardenia Flower Shampoo
    DC: Shea Moisture’s Raw Shea & Cupuacu, Fruit Fusion, Superfruit Complex or Manuka Honey lines
    Leave-In: Maui Moisture's Curl Milk or Shea Butter Hair Mask
    Stylers/Creams: Maui Moisture's Curl Smoothie or Camille Rose Naturals’ Sweet Buttercream (kids line)
    Sealants: Maui Moisture's Coconut Milk Weightless Oil Mist
    Scalp Treatment: Alikay Naturals Hair & Scalp Balm; Essential 17 Growth Oil
  • KoilsandKurlsKoilsandKurls Registered Users Posts: 18
    I think you mean you have fine hair, as in the strands themselves are quite tiny/fragile. Thin hair implies you don't have a lot of strands per area, as in it's not densely packed. FYI I have fine hair and I didn't think the hair color was too harsh at all. It was pretty gentle. As for how the color deposits on light hair, I don't know.
    HaileyR wrote: »

100% what I meant. I have family with kinky hair, about as kinky as can get. I undestand how fragile it is, espesially since I'm the one designated to tend to the kinky kids hair.

Duly noted. Although you didn't have to thank you for the clarification.

Leave a Comment

BoldItalicStrikethroughOrdered listUnordered list
Emoji
Align leftAlign centerAlign rightToggle HTML viewToggle full pageToggle lights
Drop image/file