Salon colored red hair: Any tips for diminishing fading?

SophcurlsSophcurls Registered Users Posts: 2
I'm currently a blonde (not natural) and will be making the switch to a red head. Although I have color treated hair my hair is in relatively good condition. I don't wash my hair daily and avoid using heat & if I do use heat I always do so with a heat protectant.

Has anyone used the no poo method on red colored hair? Red fades fast so I'm wondering if the no poo method will strip my hair of it's color sooner? Any suggestions on sulfate free shampoos that won't strip my hair of color?

Thanks in advance everyone!

Comments

• klloydmajesticklloydmajestic Registered Users Posts: 183 Curl Connoisseur
    Actually I think the no- poo method would be perfect for protecting your color. A lot of the "color protect" specific products make a point that they are sulfate free (at least the ones I've seen). If you go to the product review section there's tons of reviews for the various sulfate free shampoos out there.

As I am a natural redhead myself, welcome to the redhead family! :)
    3b, low porosity, CG method
    BC 6 February 2016 and growing out. . . again!
    current products: 
    • conditioner: Jessicurl Too Shea!
    • pre-poo: grapeseed oil or coconut oil
    • cleanser: currently experimenting with different things
    • deep treatment: Jessicurl Deep Treatment
    • "protein" treatment: SheaMoisture Manuka Honey & Mafura Oil Intensive Hydration Masque
    • Stylers: Fruit of the Earth 100% Aloe Vera gel or SheaMoisture Coconut & Hibiscus Curl Enhancing Smoothie

• Fifi.GFifi.G Registered Users Posts: 15,490 Curl Neophyte
    Just be gentle with it. Try to avoid doing anything to it the first few days. After that use low poo and no poo, as sparingly as you can. Red does fade much faster than the other colors. It doesn't absorb into the hair as much or as deeply. It's a lot of surface color. It sounds like you will do just fine with it, based on the method you use anyway.

I do know they make speciality sulfate free shampoos for every hair color. You can easily find one for red, but sulfate free is the ticket regardless.
    When I hear terms like "hipster" I think, who told cliques they could leave high school??

[SIGPIC][/SIGPIC]
  • claudine191claudine191 Registered Users Posts: 8,221 Curl Connoisseur
    I use color refreshing shampoo and conditioners in between henna treatments; Davine's copper conditioner is very good. Not sure if it's sulfate free, however.
  • BruchildaBruchilda Registered Users Posts: 126
    No poo is the best possible way to maintain color. You ll understand this when you ll use shampoo. A lot of color all over the bathtub

If the tap water is quite alkaline where you live, a water filter installed is going to made a decent difference as well.

Other than that, your individual hair properties will determinde how long your color lasts. If you have overporous hair the dye can;t hold well.

You can try pre-pooing with coconut oil to reduce the amount of water absored in the hair shaft during wash. Water alone is a major calprit for color fade. Check "hydral fatigue" to get an idea.

Instead of redying tha hair again and again, month after month, resulting in more porous hair everytime, I d suggest use a semi permanent on the lengths to maintain your shade.

If you re commited to red you'd better go for body art quality henna. It's SUPER permanent, you won't care about color fade and it;s quite conditioning.
  • RednaturalcurlsRednaturalcurls Registered Users Posts: 1,814 Curl Neophyte
    I've been dying red for years. I stopped bothering with color protect items just because I didn't really see a difference. I use a low poo periodically with no trouble (every couple weeks). The biggest thing for me is to avoid glycerin in my stylers because it strips color pretty fast (at least in my hair and red is a smaller molecule if I remember correctly). In between colorings I have a temporary color mousse to refresh the color. Enjoy the red :)

Sent from my SM-N900T using CurlTalk App
    Hair Type: mix of 3's, growing out an angled bob, color-treated red.
    Current products: GVP conditioning balm for co-wash and leave in, Curl Junkie Curls in a Bottle, Pattern Pusha and Garnier Anti-humidity hairspray
    Hair idol: Kimberly Schlapman from Little Big Town
  • claudine191claudine191 Registered Users Posts: 8,221 Curl Connoisseur
    I agree that henna is the best choice for permanent redheads. However, one needs to do a test sample on hair from the drain protector first, to ensure you'll get the right shade.

Also, henna can be very bright at first, though it settles into a more natural look within a few days.
  • mbeckhhpmbeckhhp Registered Users Posts: 155 Curl Novice
    Great tip about glycerine. Puls reds and golds right out of your hair. Getting a showerfilter, to get chloramines out of the water.(tyhey will bleach and fade) Another great tip. I extended my gold blonde color (blonde anyway heading towards white) to almost 8 weeks, once I switched to curl junkie daily fix, nopoo.The other cheaper condish people use for nopoo, didnt clean scalp good enpugh, and started loosing hair. Hope I have the nerve to go red before I die. LOVE redheads!But am also lazy about upkeep!
    [SIGPIC][/SIGPIC]3a/2a/spirals ultraF-i/ii,med/hi porosity,med/elasticity,colortreated/grey
    • Cowash[/C.J. daily fix,, Condish Peter Lamas volumizing(rice protein) mixed w CJ smoothing,orGiovanni 50/50,or Eulasense balanced moisture. Leaveins,KCKT,KomazaCalifia,GDLIStylers:FSG,*, KCCC&BRHG, CJ CIAB.mixed w Pattern Pusha.FOTE on dry. SOTC :1 drop meadowfoam oil.DT:biolageCB or curl rehab over megatek,CJ repair me.
  • BelleBohemienneBelleBohemienne Registered Users Posts: 375 Curl Neophyte
    When my friend went to red her stylist added some dye to her washing products. She said it helped.
    ~Belle Bohemienne

"If you are depressed you are living in the past. If you are anxious you are living in the future. If you are at peace you are living in the present." -Lao Tzu

Leave a Comment

BoldItalicStrikethroughOrdered listUnordered list
Emoji
Align leftAlign centerAlign rightToggle HTML viewToggle full pageToggle lights
Drop image/file